• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Bannon is off the National Security Council

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
hmmm...

have to wonder what prompted this. did he want to push isolationism vs Russia wanting to get involved in Iran?

Priebus doing some work...

I'm wagering the straw that broke the camels back on this may have been the Syrian gas attacks this past week and the strongly negative reaction to Trump's lack of effort on Syria, and courting pro-Assad, pro-Russian elements in Syria who enable this. Although most people wouldn't make the connection to Bannon's foreign policy, which is exactly that, Priebus represents a much more involved position in Syria than Bannon (and Trump) do. The rift between Priebus and Bannon cannot be understated, and Priebus may have scored some last-second points with the Syrian massacre.

He became President of the United States in that moment, period

Wouldn't go that far yet. Trump changes his mind like how I change my adult diapers.

Chococat

Wait? When did the impeachment process take place to remove President Bannon? Does this mean Vice President Trump will take his place?

Good that he is off the NSC. Not sure if I should celebrate yet- he could hang around like Kuesner in an undefined capacity.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Too early to celebrate just yet. I hope this is a good sign though.

Ms.Galaxy

BANNON BANNED

latest

There was a story recently about Kushner leaking to MSNBC. It was Bannon or someone from his corner that leaked that info. A leak on a leaker is how ridiculous this administration is. But anyway this could be payback.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Wait? When did the impeachment process take place to remove President Bannon? Does this mean Vice President Trump will take his place?

Good that he is off the NSC. Not sure if I should celibate yet- he could hang around like Kuesner in an undefined capacity.

Seems like an overreaction.

kaskade

Wonder how much of this is actually going to change anything, it's nice to see him no longer on the NSC but I'm sure he'll still be in trump's ear all the time.

I'm sick of this "Let Them Fight" shit. Go back to every thread Trump had some underhanded, shit attack on Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, and anybody else, and they'll be a thousand "Let them Fight" gifs and people falling all over themselves how amazing the attack from Trump is.

Well, we let them fight, we cheered when Trump fought with his gloves off, and he won the Republican primary, and then he used identical style of attacks against Hillary Clinton and won the White House, we all cried about the injustice of it all, and now we have President Trump.

In the internal war between Reince Preibus and Steve Bannon, as much as I dislike both immensely, I'm with Preibus.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Too early to celebrate just yet. I hope this is a good sign though.
Definitely. It's good that the guy was removed, but it doesn't say where he went, why he was removed, or who was behind it.

I mean, if Bannon just gets replaced by another guy pulling Trump's strings, or if he's moved into some other position where he gets access to all sorts of shit that he shouldn't be allowed to, then that's not an improvement at all.

huh don't get me wrong, I am glad Bannon is removed. But why? I wonder what the reason is.
Trump is seeing his presidency crumble. He knows that Bannon is one of the people in him administration that made just about everyone uncomfortable. He's just trying to make any positive move right now.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is the first move of many.

Surfinn

Does Trump make a decision like this? What's the significance of him being off the council? I'm assuming he's still gunna be influencing Trump pretty significantly.

I think there is some infighting in the WH with all the leaks against each other.

The Drain the Swamp vs The Swamp.

Swamp is winning.

Wonder if the Mercers will start taking shots.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Trump is seeing his presidency crumble. He knows that Bannon is one of the people in him administration that made just about everyone uncomfortable. He's just trying to make any positive move right now.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is the first move of many.

Here's why I think "no."

Every time Trump has made a selfless , rational or non ego driven decision, it has been driven by facts so unmistakable that even the people involved see the writing on the wall - and grownups say, this is a bridge too far - Flynn's firing, Sessions' recusal etc. When it has been driven by mere circumstance, the administration has tried to spin it as a positive or a nothingburger. This one feels like external pressure to me - and if Bannon is now compromised by indisputable evidence, the suddenness would make sense.

They didn't give a shit that he was a distraction and in fact we'd sort of boiled that frog and gotten used to him. So something has changed, and it's not Kushner's weak ass daddy's boy chin.

Dineren

Banned
Their explanation is bizarre. They appointed someone to the council to monitor someone else they appointed because they knew he had issues?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Does Trump make a decision like this? What's the significance of him being off the council? I'm assuming he's still gunna be influencing Trump pretty significantly.

I updated the OP everytime I saw new info. He was just there to watch Flynn and de-operationalize the NSC from Rice.

I'm sick of this "Let Them Fight" shit. Go back to every thread Trump had some underhanded, shit attack on Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, and anybody else, and they'll be a thousand "Let them Fight" gifs and people falling all over themselves how amazing the attack from Trump is.

Well, we let them fight, we cheered when Trump fought with his gloves off, and he won the Republican primary, and then he used identical style of attacks against Hillary Clinton and won the White House, we all cried about the injustice of it all, and now we have President Trump.

In the internal war between Reince Preibus and Steve Bannon, as much as I dislike both immensely, I'm with Preibus.

OT and probably a year or two late, but Reince Priebus is the most Babylon 5 sounding name I've ever heard.

deconstruction of the government vs further build-up and abuse of an aggressive military state

meh

i'm definitely not thrilled about the prospect of throwing away more lives in nonsensical wars. However, when bannon would talk about "deconstruction of the administrative state," that really sounds like only the dismantling of the useful parts of the government to me- regulations defending civil rights or reigning in the flaws of capitalism. He seemed too fond of fascism for me to really believe a presidency heavily influenced by him would be a peaceful isolationist one in the long run. I feel that the substantial risk of pointless violence was already there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom