• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Bannon replaces Joint Chiefs of Staff and DNI in the National Security Council

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGM1966

Well, there's a famous novel about a fascist takeover in the US with that title and it seems well worth reading nowadays: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Can't_Happen_Here

Interestingly enough, the author's got it down to a T how fascism would be different in America compared to Europe. The Trump character in that novel is not really a fascistic zealot with a cohesive political ideology, but a blustering blowhard and con man. And he happens to have his very own Steve Bannon: a close advisor who is the real fascist of the bunch, who also writes all of his boss's speeches, and sets policies. He's eventually assassinated after staging a coup though.
That's slipped my radar but I'll look at it. Sounds fascinating.

Dehnus

Well, there's a famous novel about a fascist takeover in the US with that title and it seems well worth reading nowadays: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Can't_Happen_Here

Interestingly enough, the author's got it down to a T how fascism would be different in America compared to Europe. The Trump character in that novel is not really a fascistic zealot with a cohesive political ideology, but a blustering blowhard and con man. And he happens to have his very own Steve Bannon: a close advisor who is the real fascist of the bunch, who also writes all of his boss's speeches, and sets policies. He's eventually assassinated after staging a coup though.

Well, actually that is the Alt Reich approach all over the world. A blow hard in the main position (Geert Wilders and Frauke Petry for instance) and a real whitesupremacist scumbag second in command (Martin Bosma and Marcus Pretzell).

btrboyev

This's is a bigger story than even the immigrant ban and it doesn't seem to be getting much traction.

This is downright horrifying.

Blizzard

Banned
This's is a bigger story than even the immigrant ban and it doesn't seem to be getting much traction.

I've seen people trying to share on Facebook at least. I honestly wouldn't put it past them to use the immigrant ban as a smokescreen, so people can get up in arms about something else while the real evil keeps progressing.

The thing is, let's imagine a magical world where even 75% of Americans realize this is happening, realize Bannon is horrible and evil, and don't want him as part of government. Is there ANYTHING anyone can legally do about Bannon? Unless congress actually does something, I can't see anything happening since Trump holds the reigns over whoever he puts in power and listens to. And even if congress tries, what can they do? Attempt to charge him with a crime?

cress2000

It definitely needs a hell of a lot more attention. At least #StopPresidentBannon is #1 trending on Twitter currently.

Dartastic

I've seen people trying to share on Facebook at least. I honestly wouldn't put it past them to use the immigrant ban as a smokescreen, so people can get up in arms about something else while the real evil keeps progressing.

The thing is, let's imagine a magical world where even 75% of Americans realize this is happening, realize Bannon is horrible and evil, and don't want him as part of government. Is there ANYTHING anyone can legally do about Bannon? Unless congress actually does something, I can't see anything happening since Trump holds the reigns over whoever he puts in power and listens to. And even if congress tries, what can they do? Attempt to charge him with a crime?
I have no idea what they can do either. It's frightening.

Diagol

Reading up on the Mercers now. I hadn't heard of them before.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...what-the-powerful-mercers-really-want/514529/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebekah_Mercer_(philanthropist)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer_Family_Foundation

Funding climate change deniers, tobacco industry (denying the link with cancer), etc. Of-fucking-course.

Fucking scumbags.

They'll do whatever her internal polling company suggests will be the most effective/divisive:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...uslim-polls-fair-federation-for-a7469431.html

I feel like these should be new threads. Jesus.

Not even Karl Rowe was alowed in there. For very good reasons.

Damn, this new leadership makes Dick Cheeney and Karl Rowe look like full-blown environmentalists and defenders of the free world.

Kusagari

The American media needs to start making the real story here that these aren't Trump's moves. They're Bannon's.

Make it so everyone realizes this fuckhead is in charge.

Vena

Not even Karl Rowe was alowed in there. For very good reasons.

Damn, this new leadership makes Dick Cheeney and Karl Rowe look like full-blown environmentalists and defenders of the free world.

Rove and Cheney were smarter than this, they didn't want attention even if Rove loved to play his shadow games while Cheney pushed his own agenda. This can only end badly for everyone be that the American people, Bannon, Trump, or Bannon's current absence from a local jail.

Bannon has zero political experience and he's rushing to grab control and power in a country where the actual power is split too far and wide from the Executive branch for his overreach to go unanswered. Hence the massive clusterfuck going on now where he (and Miller) overruled senior officials and pushed through this EO.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think Bannon, if he is cunning, locked both outcomes. He won't hold back, and if Trump follows through it leads to a constitutional crisis and he uses the opportunity to pretty much finish the coup. If it does backfire on Trump and he was impeached or resigned, then Bannon picks up the ball right where it falls, he'll get all the Trump supporters + maybe more, and you'd get a worst candidate ahead than Trump or whatever it would snowball into, he would go all out against the GOP.

And I'm sure he wants a constitutional crisis because in that case the crisis becomes just a matter of semantics, the ones wanting to distort or take down the constitution are automatically legitimized by the very nature of the crisis, and you end up on one side or the other. At that point, anything goes. Even the police and the military wouldn't know where they stand, but the former would be confronting protesters daily and that in of itself would eventually bias them to one side.

Volimar

People acting like Trump was using the muslim ban to smokescreen this turn of events, but we've seen he doesn't really give a shit what people think. I think he's just cramming as much through as he can.

This posted yet?

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/mccain-bannon-nsc-234329

John McCain is harshly criticizing the elevation of White House strategist Steve Bannon to President Donald Trump's National Security Council, calling the move "radical" because it minimizes the role of the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

“I am worried about the National Security Council. Who are the members of it and who are the permanent members? The appointment of Mr. Bannon is something which is a radical departure from any National Security Council in history," McCain said on "Face the Nation" on CBS on Sunday morning.

As the Senate Armed Services chairman, McCain said it's concerning that Trump has centralized power around Bannon, a former executive at Breitbart who is credited with developing Trump's form of populist and combative politics. The Arizona Republican said the most important decision-maker on the National Security Council, Gen. Joseph Dunford, is now being shut out of critical meetings.

On top of all that, Ian Kershaw, the historian famous for his Hitler biography, is writing a new book called Triumph of the Will: the Rise of Donald Trump.

Ian Kershaw is great. Also Richard Evans' Third Reich trilogy. Some people recommend William Shirer's which is great because it's like a first hand account as Shirer was a CBS reporter in Germany but you might miss more recent historical research because it was written in like 1960.

I think the critique is warranted and pressure should be put on McCain and all GOP members.

But, McCain also strikes me as someone who doesn't display what he's doing to the press. If something happens, we'll just see the action take place, he's not going to telegraph anything.

Vena

Dunford is good friends with Mattis and Kerry, they will remove Bannon if he is deemed a threat. But this puts into context where Mattis was resisting the Trump administration. Bannon was very likely trying to reach into the DoD and Army heads but Mattis objected and blocked all of those lunatics, which also means that Bannon/Trump failed at reaching into the military ranks. The Joint Chiefs are untouched and the DoD is under moderate control with Mattis and Kerry.

So that puts Bannon with control of DHS and the Security Council against (in failed bids for control and power):
IC
DoD/Army
Sane people
The Federal Circuit (filled with and controlled for the forceable future by Obama appointees and Trump's pick for SCOTUS will not break the tie with Kennedy remaining the moderate swing)
McCain

The former two being considerably more dangerous to his status as living/not out on permanent vacation than the latter.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Dunford is good friends with Mattis and Kerry, they will remove Bannon if he is deemed a threat. But this puts into context where Mattis was resisting the Trump administration. Bannon was very likely trying to reach into the DoD and Army heads but Mattis objected and blocked all of those lunatics, which also means that Bannon/Trump failed at reaching into the military ranks. The Joint Chiefs are untouched and the DoD is under moderate control with Mattis and Kerry.

So that puts Bannon with control of DHS and the Security Council against (in failed bids for control and power):
IC
DoD/Army
Sane people
The Federal Circuit (filled with and controlled for the forceable future by Obama appointees and Trump's pick for SCOTUS will not break the tie with Kennedy remaining the moderate swing)
McCain

The former two being considerably more dangerous to his status as living/not out on permanent vacation than the latter.

Ask yourself why did Trump pick Mattis? I don't think this scenario is that far fetched. Look at the rest of the administration, Mattis stands out, doesn't fit at all, but there's a reason they decided to go for him. They picked him to take him down and take control of the military in the ensuing fallout.

Vena

Ask yourself why did Trump pick Mattis? I don't think this scenario is that far fetched. Look at the rest of the administration, Mattis stands out, doesn't fit at all, but there's a reason they decided to go for him. They picked him to take him down and take control of the military in the ensuing fallout.

This doesn't work. Mattis is not in poor standing with the Joint Chiefs and the standing Generals of the Army.

They'd have to take him down AND the entire JCoS and standing Generals. Do this, and the military would kick their teeth in.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm not sure if this is a coup or Trump needing a babysitter to hide the fact that his unfit for office. Although kicking out the military and intelligence sounds more like a coup. Erdogan approves.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This doesn't work. Mattis is not in poor standing with the Joint Chiefs and the standing Generals of the Army.

They'd have to take him down AND the entire JCoS and standing Generals. Do this, and the military would kick their teeth in.

What are they going to do in response to that, fight back and take down the president?

They just need a story that Mattis and the generals were plotting a coup and mandate their arrest.The goal is for the story to be credible, so that the counter-coup can occur even if there is no actual coup. This wouldn't be a military coup, it would be a judicial one. No shots fired, just confusion, arrests, resignation demands.

See how it would work in a country like Turkey where the government had control over the police, but not so much over the military until recently. The military were the protectors of the secular state, but Erdogan replaced its leaders with his own over time. How did that work? Because he had the control of the justice system, the police, which controls the population, and hence the politicians. No one could stand up and stop it.

Trump/Bannon don't need to fire a shot. Only impeachment stands in the way, and the Republicans might be too afraid of the impact on their future to act.

BTW, Trump's in charge of the NSA now.

I imagine at that point Congress would vote to remove him from power, and Pence along with him.

If Trump and Bannon arrested Mattis and took over the military in one night somehow? Of course. That's not what I described at all. Mattis and a few others would be removed and it would take some time for congress to figure out if the claims are true or not. For them to impeach Trump, they have to accept pretty much giving up on 2018, 2020 and maybe more. They would let Trump move ahead, always with the same idea that it will work out in their favor in the end.

If this happens during a big conflict, I would imagine they would replace Mattis and the generals without passing by congress at all. Already said any constitutional crisis favors Trump/Bannon, as it automatically turns into a matter of viewpoints, not facts.

What are they going to do in response to that, fight back and take down the president?

They just need a story that Mattis and the generals were plotting a coup and mandate their arrest.The goal is for the story to be credible, so that the counter-coup can occur even if there is no actual coup. This wouldn't be a military coup, it would be a judicial one. No shots fired, just confusion, arrests, resignation demands.

See how it would work in a country like Turkey where the government had control over the police, but not so much over the military until recently. The military were the protectors of the secular state, but Erdogan replaced its leaders with his own over time. How did that work? Because he had the control of the justice system, the police, which controls the population, and hence the politicians. No one could stand up and stop it.

Trump/Bannon don't need to fire a shot. Only impeachment stands in the way, and the Republicans might be too afraid of the impact on their future to act.

BTW, Trump's in charge of the NSA now.

I imagine at that point Congress would vote to remove him from power, and Pence along with him.

Blizzard

Banned
If they truly plan a counter-coup by claiming Mattis is planning a coup, why would they care what Congress votes? Congress wouldn't have the military or intelligence communities.

Tovarisc

A question for military members. Would you fire on American citizens if ordered to do so?

Any soldier honoring their oath never would attack peaceful citizens of their country.

I say this as person who has server in military, even if not American.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Any soldier honoring their oath never would attack peaceful citizens of their country.

I say this as person who has server in military, even if not American.

"Peaceful" is a pretty huge qualifier. That's basically a yes.

SkyOdin

If they truly plan a counter-coup by claiming Mattis is planning a coup, why would they care what Congress votes? Congress wouldn't have the military or intelligence communities.
Because the military and intelligence communities are complete usless if the government is blatently illegitimate. Even dictators and puppet governments try to maintain the air of legitimacy. Remember, Trump is already deeply unpopular and facing mass protest nation-wide. Trying to overreach will only intensify resistance against him. If he blatently ignores Congress's impeachment, he is basically announcing to the world that the Constitution is dead and that we are a dictatorship now. The legitimacy of his power would be dead.

With neither legitimacy nor popularity, Trump wouldn't last a week in power. The majority of Americans already hate Trump's guts. It is only the legitimacy of his Presidency, which came from a legitimate electoral victory, that gives him any authority.

Besides, Bannon isn't some political genius. He is just a guy who got lucky by riding the coat-tails of a fool who was elected by a barrage of (un)fortunate happenstances. Bannon is now just trying to live out his juvenile fantasies of being a fascist dictator, because he doesn't know enough about political realities to be any wiser. He is dangerous, but ultimately just a dangerous fool.

zma1013

The American media needs to start making the real story here that these aren't Trump's moves. They're Bannon's.

Make it so everyone realizes this fuckhead is in charge.

Not only that, is it quite possible to create a rift between them if everyone starts saying Trump isn't in charge in Bannon is? I imagine this would make Trump's ego very angry that people were saying he wasn't the real leader.

PopeReal

What if those citizens were marching on the White House? What if they took over some other federal building?

What if they weren't being peaceful at all?

I think there is a tipping point here. I know there are enough piece of shit racist cops that would gladly kill in Trump's name, I just hope that the military isn't the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom