• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Bannon replaces Joint Chiefs of Staff and DNI in the National Security Council

Status
Not open for further replies.
DNI and Chairman of Joint Chiefs no longer automatic NSC Principals Committee members

https://twitter.com/zekejmiller/status/825482075759316992

s9duUsd.png
https://twitter.com/froomkin/status/825483105620332545

MOD EDIT via Advocatus Diaboli: Not entirely true.

Me said:
So, the Principals Committee (PC) of the National Security Council (NSC) is basically -- well, it's the main forum the President uses to discuss matters bearing on, wait for it, national security. It was established in the National Security Act of 1947.

Per law, the PC is attended by the President, VP, Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, and Secretary of Energy (he has nukes, remember?). Additionally, the National Security Advisor and Secretary of the Treasury are also members.

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Director of National Intelligence provide counsel to the NSC. Their roles are enshrined by statute, but they are not "statutory attendees" like the VP and Secretary of Defense.

The more shocking announcement is that Steve Bannon "may" attend all meetings.

Bannon may attend NSC meetings. This is troubling. It does not mean that the CJCS and the DNI are replaced. They are statutory advisors to the Council, but they are not technically "members."

An EO cannot invalidate the National Security Act of 1947. (Yet?)

Nothing will help me sleep peacefully at night like knowing that fucking Steve Bannon has so much power in the American government. The man shouldn't be holding any governmental post. Jesus Christ.

Bannon is easily the most dangerous of Trump's camp simply because he is likely the most effective at whatever insidious goal he is after at any given time.

akira28

oh great, woo-woo white supremacist hack from the Alex Jones community is now one of our National Security Principals. nice. fucking. nice.

Washington (CNN)Steve Bannon has no regrets.
The ex-Breitbart executive, who serves as Trump's chief strategist for the new administration, told The Hollywood Reporter that "darkness is good."

"Dick Cheney. Darth Vader. Satan. That's power. It only helps us when they (liberals) get it wrong. When they're blind to who we are and what we're doing," he said in an interview published Friday, his first outside of Breitbart since the election.

Another reminder.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bannon is easily the most dangerous of Trump's camp simply because he is likely the most effective at whatever insidious goal he is after at any given time.
Don't call what can best be attributed to luck, genius.

THIS IS NOT COMPLETELY TRUE.

Me said:
So, the Principals Committee (PC) of the National Security Council (NSC) is basically -- well, it's the main forum the President uses to discuss matters bearing on, wait for it, national security. It was established in the National Security Act of 1947.

Per law, the PC is attended by the President, VP, Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, and Secretary of Energy (he has nukes, remember?). Additionally, the National Security Advisor and Secretary of the Treasury are also members.

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Director of National Intelligence provide counsel to the NSC. Their roles are enshrined by statute, but they are not "statutory attendees" like the VP and Secretary of Defense.

The more shocking announcement is that Steve Bannon "may" attend all meetings.

Bannon may attend NSC meetings. This is troubling. It does not mean that the CJCS and the DNI are replaced. They are statutory advisors to the Council, but they are not technically "members."

An EO cannot invalidate the National Security Act of 1947. (Yet?)

This guy is another opportunist power tripping. He is clearly an ideologue, but I would say that he is an opportunist, going by his career, first and foremost. He has made a gargantuan leap in his career...More bizarre than a bunch of circus freaks...

https://twitter.com/zekejmiller/status/825482075759316992

"DNI and Chairman of Joint Chiefs no longer automatic NSC Principals Committee members"

Again, they're not members. They never were. They are statutory advisors.

Here's Obama's: https://fas.org/irp/offdocs/ppd/ppd-1.pdf.

Yes, the "shall attend where issues pertaining to their responsibilities expertise are to be discussed," meaning the CJCS and DNI, differs from Obama's -- but to be honest, if it's a NSC meeting, I can't imagine a scenario where military and intelligence matters aren't discussed.

And if Trump wanted to hold a more limited meeting, he could've done that anyway.

kmax

This is how dictators are born.

Rise through a wave of populism and then completely stripping away the liberties while in power.

Kasumin

I'm guessing then, that this executive order was timed as a distraction from this power grab?

Bannon has always scared me the most. He has been quoted as saying he was to tear the system down, as someone has probably quoted in this thread. He's not just a white nationalist, it seems. He's also some bizarre anarchist.

Tell people that immigrants are the source of their problems and they flip their shit and let anyone take power. Amazing.

I'm guessing then, that this executive order was timed as a distraction from this power grab?

Bannon has always scared me the most. He has been quoted as saying he was to tear the system down, as someone has probably quoted in this thread. He's not just a white nationalist, it seems. He's also some bizarre anarchist.

Tell people that immigrants are the source of their problems and they flip their shit and let anyone take power. Amazing.

Trump is also on record that his plan to fix America involves first destroying it.

Woorloog

Banned

He is a real fascist, not an anarchist. He wants power and control. A true psychopath, not a human by any meaningful definition of the word.

Ms.Galaxy

Any way we can actually get rid of him?

That depends, do you want to start a mass riot that ends with him being dragged on his knees to his death French Revolution style?

If no, then probably not. I mean, there's Congress but they've been completely silent for the past week and the majority leader is a spineless coward who will do what Daddy Trump and Uncle Bannon tells him to do.

Let's say If trump gets impeach and remove from office what happens to bannon? Does he also get remove ? Or would it depend on pence?

SuperSah

Banned
I'm from the UK so I don't have much knowledge on this dude.

Can someone give me a brief explanation of why he's so dangerous sounding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom