• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Jobs on HDTV, "I finally cracked it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
lawblob said:
Thats because she only touches the "power" "pause" and "fast forward" buttons. What about the other 40 buttons? That's Jobs' point.

So you take options away for everyone just to cater to a few people overly intimidated by some buttons they quickly learn never to use anyway?

Remotes are far from user friendly, but with Apples usual tendency to oversimplify interfaces to the point where they become idiotically inefficient I really don't see the need.

If they really want to do something easier, just use an app like Channel setup on a touchscreen (kinda like the Wii channel layout but on a remote, with previews on what's on right now when highlighting them)

dejay said:
LG call it Magic Motion. OMG it's Magic!

While it's not bad, and for navigating on screen menus it's pretty good, it's only half the battle - the interface is still all over the place and laggy. Also, this remote has only got a few buttons and that isn't enough to flick through channels - that's why they supplied a normal remote as well, which I use 99% of the time.

It was a frustrating experience entering my WiFi password when I set it up. Actually I couldn't find the MAC address on the TV until I had finished setting up the wifi, which meant I had to disable MAC filtering on my router, connect it and then turn MAC filtering back on.

I think he was talking about the pointer thing, not waggle.

Nintendo has it right with the 'channels' interface with the Wii's UI. Even if not a preview, just a channel guide interface would work, coupled with a pointer interface.

Mik2121

boris feinbrand said:
Remotes are far from user friendly, but with Apples usual tendency to oversimplify interfaces to the point where they become idiotically inefficient I really don't see the need.
Give me one example, please.

boris feinbrand said:
So you take options away for everyone just to cater to a few people overly intimidated by some buttons they quickly learn never to use anyway?
The trick is not to remove options, but place them at the forefront only if those are the options you will use 95% of the time.

Keep all the advanced stuff or the options you use less frequently, but put them in another menu or dialog box or drill-down to keep things simple. Its always a trade-off in terms of design accessibility, but I think you get the best results with the very simplest interface possible, but with added layers of customization for power users.

Apple (as well as the teeming hordes of app makers, and others) have been doing a pretty good job establishing the grammar of just how to do that, so I think that bodes well for the future.

dejay

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
I think he was talking about the pointer thing, not waggle.

Nintendo has it right with the 'channels' interface with the Wii's UI. Even if not a preview, just a channel guide interface would work, coupled with a pointer interface.

Wiimote = waggle, so I'm sure that's what he meant. The TV I have (pictured) has channel guides, internet, etc, but I've only used most of that for a few minutes because I disliked it using the wand and the standard remote on it.

Anyway, it never occurred to me to look for an app for my TV for my tablet until I read this thread, but I just did and LG has an official app and it's quite nifty. I knew getting a TV with wifi would be good for something!

Among the things it has is a giant touch pad you can control the pointer with - pretty much what you're alluding to. So you can manipulate the TV with soft keys or use the tablet as a touch pad and you can keep looking at the TV as you search through the program guide on the screen, as well as LG's other stuff they have there. There was even some built-in integration with our local cable provider, but I don't have cable so I can't test that out.

While it's not perfect it was actually pretty useful and I can see it being more friendly to those intimidated by stupidly overblown remotes. I haven't tried it on my phone yet but it looks like it will scale down ok. It will also make losing the remote a lot harder :)

Anyway, I'll be interested to see if Apple actually has something in the pipeline. Imagine if Apple could get leapfrog the big TV companies and gain a major share (like iPhone sized share) of the word's living rooms! Imagine the bitter fights here in this very forum!

Momo

Banned
This is one thing I'd totally pass up. Pretty happy with my bravia, I only have my consoles and htpc connected and never had a single moment of "what am i doing?" Only times I even touch the remote is for volume and to change the source feed.

rezuth

coldvein said:
do they? i don't really care either way..
So you just came into the thread hoping to troll or something? And companies always have roadmaps, this way they can be working on all three future iterations of the iPhone at the same time for example.

Jenga

Banned
Teh Hamburglar said:
Did anyone read the OP? He isn't talking about creating an Apple HDTV. He's talking about creating a HDTV that integrates a lot of different devices into one intuitive and easy to use HDTV. Thats what Jobs did best.
so everything that other companies have done before only with the apple brand

Riptwo

Apple stores used to use Pioneer Kuro sets to show off the Apple TV. If Apple were to make the 10G Kuro sets a reality with additional Airplay capabilities, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

http://www.universalremote.com/products/retail/remotes/urc-digital-r50

^ That and a Pioneer Elite is all I need.
One button turns on everything, switches to satellite and enables PLIIx surround sound, one button also turns everything off, Volume control works no matter what as it has pass thru controls.

I can press ONE button and go from playing a game on the HTPC to watching a bluray on PS3 to watching satellite to Xbox360 to PSP to anything else I hook up. Way easier to use and much cheaper than the crap that is harmony remotes.

Now if I just had an SED set I'd be happy for a while.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
boris feinbrand said:

If they really want to do something easier, just use an app like Channel setup on a touchscreen (kinda like the Wii channel layout but on a remote, with previews on what's on right now when highlighting them)
Complete bullshit.

Aguirre said:
no, just in general.
He came back and took over the company that he was fired from, which had become the world's shittiest tech company in his absence, and he has made it one of the biggest companies on the entire planet. If that doesn't let you be egotistical, what does?

Bill Gates is also egotistical as fuck, but he's earned it too.

MrHicks

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie[B said:
]He came back and took over the company that he was fired from, which had become the world's shittiest tech company in his absence, and he has made it one of the biggest companies on the entire planet.[/B] If that doesn't let you be egotistical, what does?

Bill Gates is also egotistical as fuck, but he's earned it too.

jobs has been full of himself since day 1
even through his failure years with next and all that

watch some interviews from those days
still the same guy

Xun

I think a proper Apple TV will be the next thing Apple focus on.

It's the most likely progression, and I'm sure they'll do well.

I'll stick with the TV revolution that's been happening for the past several years and has been getting better every month... XBMC. I can't imagine how any company would be able to top it at this point, though I must admit that it takes some technical know-how to do a first time setup.

TouchMyBox said:
I'll stick with the TV revolution that's been happening for the past several years and has been getting better every month... XBMC. I can't imagine how any company would be able to top it at this point, though I must admit that it takes some technical know-how to do a first time setup.
I think it's pretty easy to imagine how a company will be able to top it and monetise it.

jaypah

I can see Microsoft having a go at it, looking at what they've trying to do with Kinect and the new 360 UI. Just use your voice to find exactly what you're looking for and it works across different services. Ask it for a show and it'll show results for Hulu, Netflix or whatever. Couple that with their recent push to add a lot more content providers and it's a decent start. It'll never work for them though because they'll never get the pricing right. Or the marketing. And I doubt they'd be able to get it built into too many HDTVs so it'll be just another add on to buy that the public will ignore. It'll be pretty cool for those who have the next Xbox though.

i hope whatever idea jobs had for a tv comes to fruition in the next few years. if anything, it will be a gorgeous piece of tech with excellent user experience.

siri just seems like a logical add on for this as well.

i would appreciate a tv w/ cloud access and a lot of good streaming content and a simplified interface. at the same time however i think if you can't work a regular tv remote, you probably don't deserve to watch tv.

Sealda

Banned
Personally i find TV Boxes and TVs in strangers houses extremely annoying and unnecessarily uncomplicated. I swear for a stranger in your house, its easy to navigate up and down the channels with the arrows but theres so much shit you can do, that can mess up everything. Honestly, the whole symbios between TV, Boxer and DVD is fucking non existent.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
avaya said:
So TV remotes are complicated now?

Sky's interface is complicated??
TV remotes have been complicated for awhile now. Pretty much since everything started coming with a shitty universal remote.

Neo C.

dejay said:
Wiimote = waggle, so I'm sure that's what he meant.
Fuck no.
Wiimote = pointer. The waggle is rather disappointing, the pointer however is the future - until Nintendo pushes it away for the Wii U controller.

Beam said:
I really hope that touch remote controls becomes standard and packed in with each tv. Damn the buttons.

No. This should never happen and the thought of this should die. Touch based remotes are a dumb concept for primary input.

Wrestlemania said:
I think it's pretty easy to imagine how a company will be able to top it and monetise it.

Monetise it, sure, but top it? No way. Companies will find maybe some easier methods of setup and maybe make money off it, but I highly doubt they'll top it. Something like XBMC offers way too much freedom and choice for it to be topped. Something monetized will have to be stripped down a bit with limitations.

dejay said:
I got a Wiimote type thingo with my TV...

4edgE.jpg

LG call it Magic Motion. OMG it's Magic!

While it's not bad, and for navigating on screen menus it's pretty good, it's only half the battle - the interface is still all over the place and laggy. Also, this remote has only got a few buttons and that isn't enough to flick through channels - that's why they supplied a normal remote as well, which I use 99% of the time.

It was a frustrating experience entering my WiFi password when I set it up. Actually I couldn't find the MAC address on the TV until I had finished setting up the wifi, which meant I had to disable MAC filtering on my router, connect it and then turn MAC filtering back on.
one of my family members has one of these LG TV's. The magic remote has some great ideas behind it and reminded me of the Wiimote in some ways...but fell horribly short in other ways. And my god...inputting text with it or the regular remote is depressing.

even with the Samsung QUERTY remote (I had too), it's pretty terrible. not sensitive, not responsive, not good.

Put an A5 processor in these TVs, let some real UI professionals design something for it and finally make the extensible features on modern TVs finally make sense. Or at least convenient enough for them to not feel like novelties.

Edit: oh, and the fucking TV...here's another huge design mistake on it: you know how on 99.999% of televisions, there's a "Menu" or "Setup" button of some sort that takes you directly to the display adjustments (brightness, color, tint, etc)? This TV doesn't have it. You have push the button that brings up the Apps menu that you see on the picture in dejay's post...then down scroll 2 or 3 clicks, then push enter JUST to get to the settings. When you're fine-tuning color it's just about the most tortuous fucking experience I've ever had with a television. I don't even know if a Universal remote can be programmed to go straight to said menu because there's no single-click solution to get there on the remote to program the Universal remote with.

Xun

rezuth said:
That troll reminds me, who makes the current panels they have in the Cinema Display?
Was thinking the same thing.

It is gloriously sitting in front of me as I type this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom