• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Spielberg to work on Halo TV series

Vico

BTW, there is a game tie in:

FozG60u.png

Hmmm. What does it exactly mean?

Spielberg's name means NOTHING when attached in a producer role. He has less creative input on this project than some people at Bungie most likely.

Don't get your hopes up.

Spielberg puts his name on a lot of things, from Terra Nova to Smash.

He'll be an executive producer but won't have anything to do with the series besides his name.

To be fair, by putting his name on something bigger like Halo he is going to get a lot more attention and the series will have higher expectations. I expect that they at least have a certain high bar of quality they are aiming for.

I love Speilberg, but I hate how the game industry trots him out every other E3 or so to try lend credibility to gaming as if it needs it. The inferiority complex compared to the movie industry is getting annoying. Remember a couple of years ago there was that whole Speilberg is going to make games, zomg, and we ended up with the, admittedly, pretty good Bloom Blox and some vaporware? Besides, unless he's directing I don't care. I'm sure the show will be interesting, but the last thing I think about when I think about Halo is a television show. If anything, this will end up like all the expanded universe Halo stuff that you'll have to watch to make heads or tails of the story in Halo 5 whenever they make it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This was one of the few things from the event that got me excited. A Halo TV series could be really cool if done right. That is a big 'if', though.

It's very early and I'm not gonna get too excited until we hear who's directing the pilot, who the showrunner will be, writers, scope, budget, etc.

The CBS woman called it a "premium television series" - but what does that mean? Are they taking this super seriously like Netflix or HBO, or is this something more half assed like what Amazon is doing?

Will this be a 45-58 minute drama? A 10-15 minute "web series" esque deal? How many episodes is it going to be? Is it a miniseries or an ongoing one? Are they aiming for more of an epic Band of Brothers type thing or something more intimate along the lines of Generation Kill? Will it mainly be green screen or will they use sets? Will Microsoft give it the (huge) budget that it needs?

I'm definitely curious to see how this shapes up.

Spielberg puts his name on a lot of things, from Terra Nova to Smash.

He'll be an executive producer but won't have anything to do with the series besides his name.

For sure. Spielberg's name being attached is totally meaningless, unless he ends up directing the pilot or something, which would be big.

Basch

How's Steven Spielburg linked to this? Director, writer, producer, combination? Regardless, "his" previous show, Falling Skies, is still shit, and let's not get into Terra Nova. Hopefully, this ends up more Band of Brothers/Battlestar Galactica and less Stargate/Starship Troopers/and well Falling Skies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Meh.

Most probably Spielberg will work on just one or two episodes, and I even doubt he is in a directing chair/involved much instead of just a name-attach.

Slime

Banned
How's Steven Spielburg linked to this?

He'd produced dozens of TV shows over the years. The last one he wrote and directed for was Amazing Stories in the 80s.

This is basically a thing he thought was kinda cool and agreed to put his name on.

Top Bottom