• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

iosefe

I re-read the first couple of pages of this thread the other day. Knowing what we know now, some of those posts ended up strangely prophetic.

EDIT: I think we all know that StevenxConnie is endgame. But it's nice that they don't feel the need to advance the relationship beyond best buds right now.

and then there is the full listing from 1B

http://ben10.englishboard.net/t271-steven-universe#10707

so the Uncle Grandpa ep is S2? and this would do well for the episode guide to place the missing eps

jwk94

The gems' outfits reflect past injuries right? Or is just for the current ones?

We're left to assume that they change after each death so their current clothes aren't their originals. You can briefly see Pearl's pilot design/outfit when she's regenerating in...I forget the name of her death episode.

jwk94

After reading the posts about Rose still existing, it makes me wonder if it'll be possible for her to reemerge, if only for a little bit. Like, could a situation arise where she will be needed, kinda like how Goku appeared for Gohan with the Cell fight? Sounds super corny but just a thought.

boop:

So T-Pain watches Steven Universe!
https://twitter.com/tpain/status/550349416063062016

Anyone else think Rose isn't completely gone? I'm thinking she left a part of her laying dormant in either Lion or Steven. With how heavy a DBZ influence we're getting, I bet they pull a father-son Kamehameha in the season 2 finale.

vrap double post. sorry.

Raxus

We're left to assume that they change after each death so their current clothes aren't their originals. You can briefly see Pearl's pilot design/outfit when she's regenerating in...I forget the name of her death episode.

Steven the Swordfighter

Parry parry THRUST!

Psxphile

Apparently it's happened mostly to Amethyst since she's joined, so I wonder how many "forms" she's taken over the years. Her reforming animation probably takes 5 minutes to complete.

EDIT: after all this time, finally found it again

tumblr_nkvliuvhmd1u7saeco1_1280.png

tumblr_nkvliuvhmd1u7saeco2_400.png

Apparently it's happened mostly to Amethyst since she's joined, so I wonder how many "forms" she's taken over the years. Her reforming animation probably takes 5 minutes to complete.

EDIT: after all this time, finally found it again

And if we take that regen sequence at face value that means between the pilot and the series both Pearl and Garnet have each "died" at least once.

Interesting/bummed that we didn't get to see Garnet's regen sequence. Or I suppose it technically would have been Ruby and Sapphire's?

Psxphile

And if we take that regen sequence at face value that means between the pilot and the series both Pearl and Garnet have each "died" at least once.
Well, pilot is non-canon anyway. But I suppose in the distant past (long before Steven, and in Pearl/Garnet's case maybe before the war) they could've sported the look as a throwback to the pilot designs:

PY9zPnj.png

Interesting/bummed that we didn't get to see Garnet's regen sequence. Or I suppose it technically would have been Ruby and Sapphire's?
Yeah, it's the base gem(s) that would have to reform. In fact, if we're going by the same logic than that means Ruby and Sapphire looked different in Jailbreak than they would have when they last fused as Garnet. And maybe that's why Garnet also looks different (same with Opal, because of Pearl).

The pilot is non-canon!?! Have they confirmed that? (not that I don't believe you I've just never seen it confirmed either way now that I think about it)

Dang I totally thought that Pearl's regen containing her pilot design was their way of saying it was canon. Plus the little hourglass was in that... was it Steven and the Stevens episode?

Edit: Found it, Rebecca herself said it's not canon in a Reddit AMA. Well damn!

Psxphile

The pilot is non-canon!?! Have they confirmed that? (not that I don't believe you I've just never seen it confirmed either way now that I think about it)

Dang I totally thought that Pearl's regen containing her pilot design was their way of saying it was canon. Plus the little hourglass was in that... was it Steven and the Stevens episode?

Yes. If you give me a second I can dredge up some confirmation (pretty sure it was Matt that said it). And yeah, even though it's non-canon that doesn't exactly stop them from importing pilot stuff into the proper series.

EDIT: Oh, she did? Okay, guess I don't need this anymoI'M POSTING IT ANYWAY:

7FpmZh4.png

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

It wouldn't make any sense for it to be canon, they reuse the core device for a later episode, unless there are two time turner spheres and Steven forgot about the first

Tuck

Steven Universe - Lion 2: The Movie

This episode was on point. Steven had a ton of great facial expressions, and Steven/Connie is now the best ship. Also Amathest is f-ing fantastic in every way.

Also the scene with Lion running on water was surprisingly magical.

Also I'm surprised how much action this show has.

It wouldn't make any sense for it to be canon, they reuse the core device for a later episode, unless there are two time turner spheres and Steven forgot about the first

Oh hohohoho I have that base covered my friend.

Amethyst gives Steven the time turner sphere (gonna call it TTS to save time) and he goes about the adventure. At the end, he wishes that he could have schooled them all earlier that day. The TTS takes him back to when Pearl calls him a clown - BEFORE Amethyst gave Steven the TTS. At this point in time there are TWO spheres: the one Steven has been using, and the one Amethyst has that they just brought back. Frustrated, Steven destroys the TTS, leaving just the one that they brought back.

But yeah it would have been weird to use the same plot device twice. Makes sense for it to not be canon and they just adapted it to a normal episode, I just hadn't thought that deeply about it before and assumed the two cameos (retro Pearl and the TTS in SatS) were nods that the pilot was canon.

Zubz

Banned

I like how Hilary Florido has an entire AU going on with all of her promos; these promos are always on-point! My favorite's still the temporary "Doris & Mary-Anne" crossover they did for Jailbreak to avoid spoiling Ruby, Sapphire, & Malachite (Side note, Doris & Mary-Anne's amazing. It's done by Steven Universe writer Ben Levin. It just had its tenth and final episode today, and every one barring the finale is less than a minute. You should all check it out, if you get the chance.)

Is that Peridot and Lapiz in the window?

Yeah; as people here have stated, any character can show up in these School AU promos; I'm pretty sure Rose has been in a fair number of them, too.
Still, the last time Peridot showed up in one was right before "The Return," so...

Acrylic7

I think Rose is dormant inside Stevens Gem and will awaken once Stevens body is ripe or something like that to take it over. Maybe because shes out of life energy or whatever and needs to take over Stevens.
Just got this weird gut feeling that Rose isn't 100% good and she said herself that they both couldn't exist at the same time.

I know its super farfetched but If it happens I want to be the first that called it!!!

I think Rose is dormant inside Stevens Gem and will awaken once Stevens body is ripe or something like that to take it over. Maybe because shes out of life energy or whatever and needs to take over Stevens.
Just got this weird gut feeling that Rose isn't 100% good and she said herself that they both couldn't exist at the same time.

I know its super farfetched but If it happens I want to be the first that called it!!!
that isn't just far fetched it's downright silly to all of sudden turn her evil and any of the things above outside of her not being gone.

that isn't just far fetched it's downright silly to all of sudden turn her evil and any of the things above outside of her not being gone.

I think it makes perfect sense to show that she had a bit of evil in her.
We only hear about her from the pov of someone she raised, someone she was in a romantic relationship with, someone with possible romantic love or at least obsessive hero warship for her and a tiny bit from someone who respected her as a warrior.

She's been made to be the most kind hearted, flawless woman. That could all be a leading up to a big reveal that she did something horrible or has a baaad plan. Maybe she spread corruption (either through war or otherwise) so that once she cures them, friend or not, they become loyal to her and she has more followers. Maybe she wanted earth for selfish reasons and refused to allow neutral/ other "earth Powerful" gems to leave like Lapis. I do find it strange that an Alien Rock Being would just so happen to have control over Earth plaint life. Still wondering why her plaints tried to kill Steven.
Maybe that's why the show establishes that she hide things from our CG, as to make it clear that they weren't apart of her evil shit, only the good front.

This is a show that took Pearl from elegant, composed teacher to Rose's Scabbard and (I theorize) maybe the first Gem Steven knows to become corrupted to push him into finding a way to cure it. Show goes places.

I think it makes perfect sense to show that she had a bit of evil in her.
We only hear about her from the pov of someone she raised, someone she was in a romantic relationship with, someone with possible romantic love or at least obsessive hero warship for her and a tiny bit from someone who respected her as a warrior.

She's been made to be the most kind hearted, flawless woman. That could all be a leading up to a big reveal that she did something horrible or has a baaad plan. Maybe she spread corruption (either through war or otherwise) so that once she cures them, friend or not, they become loyal to her and she has more followers. Maybe she wanted earth for selfish reasons and refused to allow neutral/ other "earth Powerful" gems to leave like Lapis. I do find it strange that an Alien Rock Being would just so happen to have control over Earth plaint life. Still wondering why her plaints tried to kill Steven.
Maybe that's why the show establishes that she hide things from our CG, as to make it clear that they weren't apart of her evil shit, only the good front.

This is a show that took Pearl from elegant, composed teacher to Rose's Scabbard and (I theorize) maybe the first Gem Steven knows to become corrupted to push him into finding a way to cure it. Show goes places.

Following that logic anything can happen because. Which I'm not denying is entirely impossible but tv follows basic rules and a children show making the dead mom who sacrificed herself evil and nobody noticed? Maybe she used to be neutral/chaotic and changed. But nobody noticing, not even Garnette who isn't as crazy about her as the rest?

As to Pearl from a beginning her character had attributes that she had deep issues. It isn't surprising if it happens in that aspect.

rexor0717

Rose will never be evil, but I strongly believe that she won't be the figure of purity and goodness that she is now by the end of the show. People are complex, and don't always make the "right" choices. Rose had to do what she had to do, but maybe some people got hurt along the way.

Rose will never be evil, but I strongly believe that she won't be the figure of purity and goodness that she is now by the end of the show. People are complex, and don't always make the "right" choices. Rose had to do what she had to do, but maybe some people got hurt along the way.

Yeah, war is never pretty, and she led an army in what had to be a brutal war against the homeworld.

It's interesting that Jasper said she admired Rose's strategies in fighting the war. Knowing the rather brutal and mean-spirited attitude she has (at least for now), what does that say about what Rose had to do to win?

rexor0717

Yeah, war is never pretty, and she led an army in what had to be a brutal war against the homeworld.

It's interesting that Jasper said she admired Rose's strategies in fighting the war. Knowing the rather brutal and mean-spirited attitude she has (at least for now), what does that say about what Rose had to do to win?

That's a great point. I doubt we'll we getting too much info on who Rose really was for a while, but "Story for Steven" will probably be dropping more hints.

I think it's one of those situations of Fate Stay Night and Fate Zero in anime. In FSN they kept mentioning how fucking huge the war was in FZ but never showed it in the show itself. Aka the possibility is that it was a brutal war but they won't ever show it to us.

rexor0717

I think it's one of those situations of Fate Stay Night and Fate Zero in anime. In FSN they kept mentioning how fucking huge the war was in FZ but never showed it in the show itself. Aka the possibility is that it was a brutal war but they won't ever show it to us.

They don't have to show the war itself. More info on the impact to the world and the characters is enough to give a better picture as to how she acted during wartime.

All we'll get are hints, and glimpses of the aftermath, I'm sure. There are so many threads they can pick up and run with: PTSD with Pearl, doing evil to serve a greater good with the war and with the corrupted gems, etc.

You never know how dark they will go, but after Maximum Capacity, I wouldn't put anything past them. It will be subtle, of course..

Following that logic anything can happen because. Which I'm not denying is entirely impossible but tv follows basic rules and a children show making the dead mom who sacrificed herself evil and nobody noticed? Maybe she used to be neutral/chaotic and changed. But nobody noticing, not even Garnette who isn't as crazy about her as the rest?

As to Pearl from a beginning her character had attributes that she had deep issues. It isn't surprising if it happens in that aspect.

As it stands now, anything CAN happen. See, the stories told from Steven's perspective and it always will be. Until it's shown to him it's a mystery and every character here has their own bias and pov on things. It feels like we're always walking in on the middle of a convo with these characters because of this.

Example, Lapis. She's all "You knew I was in there and You kept me in there all this time! I never believed in earth/ I just wanna leave/ lets stay on this miserable planet together!". Seems like she hates the CGs cause they kept her in a mirror among other things. She doesn't like earth and just wants to leave. She doesn't wish for HW to go to earth either so I assume wasn't an enemy before being mirrored.

Thing is, our Gems don't know her. They had no clue "such a powerful gem" was in the mirror and the mere fact that she was in there makes them think she's bad news. So clearly the Crystal Gems were a thing before Garnet and Pearl, maybe Rose did some not-so-good things before they met her and Lapis is one of those things? She leads wars and impresses Jasper, the asshole long lived warrior, with her tactics... she likely did a lot of not soo good things in the past.

We then see that Rose hides things from all of them so even Pearl's worship/ love is based on only what Rose allowed her to see.

Then we have Garnet. Maybe Garnet doesn't gush about her because she knows a tiny bit of the not-so-good parts from the possible futures where Rose fucked up after Garnet became a Gem. And ontop of that FV doesn't tell what Rose is thinking or what she's doing in her alone time unless Garnet finds out about it in some future I guess.

And yes, showing that Rose has either a dark past (very likely imo), impure motives (also likely imo) or extremist idles are both pretty common in cartoons and anime. We still don't know what causes corruption or why so many gems on earth are corrupt, we just know that Rose tried to fix them. Maybe she caused it and was trying to make up for it? Maybe she did it for a not too goody goody reason? Who knows ...

Raxus

Pretty good episode. Wonder where Peridot is.

I still want to believe she wandered into Canada just to have the Canidot jokes keep rolling.

Kangi

Ouch at the "I think they blame me" line. We've all been getting those undertones, but with even him feeling that way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom