• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to thank this site for introducing this show to me whem I was still lurking. Love the last Steven Bomb and can't wait for the next episodes which aren't too far off!

PSqueak

Banned
Anyone who's into pops might like these. I need the Peridot one.

TCwTS2f.jpg

Why did they went out their way to put noses in them but left Lapis without one?

I really love Blue Diamond's design. It would have been so easy to just make her look "cool", but instead they went for something more cartoonishly exaggerated and emotional.

In the case of Blue Diamond, I really loved their approach to referencing their inspiration in her design.
They didn't draw her like a Leiji Matsumoto character simply because they liked the way it look, they did it with the narrative purpose of reflecting the specific mood and feel they get from his artistic direction (ghostly, alien, somber, etc.)
It really goes to show how clever Rebecca Sugar and her crewniverse are.

Hamlet

Fun cute episode
Always fun to see Peridot and Lapis get up to shenanigans. Lapis as Amethyst and Garnett made for a lot of hilarious moments
The Steven speech from Connie was also pretty great "She didn't even cry"
Also that victory pose

zeemumu

Lapis is kind of an ass to everyone but Steven. I guess being trapped in a mirror for years and then being stuck in a fusion underwater will do that to you. No wonder she's considered to be edgy.

She's still one of my favorites aside from Rose and Garnet though

"Which one's Amethyst again?"

*Peridot begins acting shocked*

😑 "I'm joking."

Lapis has become such a sarcastic dick.

I love it.

I am a bit surprised with how on-board seems about being considered a Crystal Gem, even as a "Crystal Temp". It makes sense that Peridot would be all for it since she's friends with the main crew and actually saved the world. But Lapis just kind of lives with Peridot and has barely conversed with any of the other Crystal Gems besides Steven and Peridot. In fact, she flat-out hated them in Mirror/Ocean Gem. Hopefully they address her relationship with everyone else some time this season.

TheOGB

Banned
I was surprised they had it on Xfinity On Demand so quickly, but relieved I didn't have to wait til tomorrow to watch it. That was a fun little breather episode after all the space drama.

this episode was....severely underwhelming.

Some genuinely good jokes, but.

meh .-.

Yeah, I feel the same way.
The writing that makes up their various interactions produced a lot of gold (Peridot: "I'm nothing like pearl, she's so uptight and sensitive! *almost sobbing* HOW DARE YOU I'M LEAVING!"), but it was mostly a pretty bland experience.

I was hoping we'd get an episode where Connie, Peridot, and Lapis take on some sort of slippery corrupted gem monster that causes some infighting but ultimately forces them to work together. Like Kindergarten Kid meets Reformed meets "Secret Team" in concept; something fun and adventurous (with a tiny bit of drama or darkness, just a tiny pinch) yet lighthearted and somewhat episodic in nature.
But nope...it's just washing cars while they play pretend...
At the very least they could've went around Beach City helping people with a variety of problems rather than just solely mucking about at Greg's car wash.
-.-

KiN0

I actually didn't like this episode too much. The crystal temps were funny and all, but washing cars?

Plus, Lapis is really underdeveloped, but she seemed a little power hungry this episode.

Tarydax

Banned
Yeah, I feel the same way.
The writing that makes up their various interactions produced a lot of gold (Peridot: "I'm nothing like pearl, she's so uptight and sensitive! *almost sobbing* HOW DARE YOU I'M LEAVING!"), but it was mostly a pretty bland experience.

I was hoping we'd get an episode where Connie, Peridot, and Lapis take on some sort of slippery corrupted gem monster that causes some infighting but ultimately forces them to work together. Like Kindergarten Kid meets Reformed meets "Secret Team" in concept; something fun and adventurous (with a tiny bit of drama or darkness, just a tiny pinch) yet lighthearted and somewhat episodic in nature.
But nope...it's just washing cars while they play pretend...
At the very least they could've went around Beach City helping people with a variety of problems rather than just solely mucking about at Greg's car wash.
-.-

After Onion Friend, I've stopped hoping for episodes like that. There's potential for some really interesting stories, but instead they go with the most boring scenarios imaginable - ones that don't build the characters up in any way and have been done to death in other shows. I mean,
washing cars
? That's the best the writers could come up with? It's like the slice of life episodes this season have been going out of their way to be as dull as they can be. There's an amazing world with unlimited possibilities and it ends up going to waste.

I will say that I'll at least remember the jokes from this episode, whereas with Onion Friend, Zoltron, or Gem Harvest, the only thing I'll really remember about them is how unmemorable they were.

Psxphile

Well, I'll agree to a point that the episode didn't give Connie any opportunity to use her sword skills so that... ... was a wash... ... but what was important was to establish them working together as a team for the first time and getting their introductions and grievances out and done with. And I think the episode handled that quite well.

Next time they might actually get to fight something!

by the by, I noticed CN didn't advertise this episode (and its new day and time) at all on TV. Would not be surprised if the ratings take a hit accordingly.

tumblr_inline_ol6q1vppcG1snvf9o_540.png

Think she noticed the picture?

Well, I'll agree to a point that the episode didn't give Connie any opportunity to use her sword skills so that... ... was a wash... ... but what was important was to establish them working together as a team for the first time and getting their introductions and grievances out and done with. And I think the episode handled that quite well.

Next time they might actually get to fight something!

by the by, I noticed CN didn't advertise this episode (and its new day and time) at all on TV. Would not be surprised if the ratings take a hit accordingly.

tumblr_inline_ol6q1vppcG1snvf9o_540.png

Think she noticed the picture?

She probably did but she probably has a picture of Steven in her room and phone too.

Also cute that she decided to sleep in his bed too.

Kenai

Lapis has quite a 'tude, it's pretty funny. Still an enigma but I'm not worried about her character developing more (especially if/when Jasper inevitably returns).

Not my favorite episode, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

After Onion Friend, I've stopped hoping for episodes like that. There's potential for some really interesting stories, but instead they go with the most boring scenarios imaginable - ones that don't build the characters up in any way and have been done to death in other shows. I mean,
washing cars
? That's the best the writers could come up with? It's like the slice of life episodes this season have been going out of their way to be as dull as they can be. There's an amazing world with unlimited possibilities and it ends up going to waste.

I will say that I'll at least remember the jokes from this episode, whereas with Onion Friend, Zoltron, or Gem Harvest, the only thing I'll really remember about them is how unmemorable they were.

T.T

Rocknaldo is going to be about Ronaldo forming a rock band, isn't it.

T.T

That's honestly a pretty reasonable prediction.

TheSun

What an amazingly average episode.

I'd thought the premise was enough for an entertaining episode, but alas.

Luckily next episode sounds better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom