• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

(wake me up inside)

(CAN'T WAKE UP)

tumblr_inline_ol6q2fcmqN1snvf9o_540.png

i'll never understand that meme

Save me from the nothing I've become

Blues1990

Man, this episode thrown so much shade.

I did like that Lapis had no clue who Connie is, so it was cool that bit of continuity was there.

carlsojo

To be honest that episode just needed a Crystal Temps theme and it would have been perfect.

We. Are the Crystal Temps.
We might not save the day.
And if you think we can,
We'll maybe find a way.

That's why the people of this world believe in
Peri, Pumpkin, and Lapis.
AND CONNIE

Just in case no one noticed, an artbook popped up on Amazon. Steven Universe Art & Origins.
9781419724435_s3.jpg

Yo, I've never preordered something so fast.
I've been wanting an SU artbook for a long while now.

My only fear is that 90% of it might be the pre-production stuff that we've already seen from the crewniverse online...but in printed form.
:p

However this rather Grace Jones looking Garnet from 2011 that Ian revealed about two months ago...
tumblr_oj61kzsUuK1w1gyuuo1_1280.jpg

...gives me hope that there is sooooo much stuff we haven't seen.
Give me dem pre-The Return/Jail Break Jasper designs OuO

Psxphile

Can i post leaked previews?

What? Why would want to post about
that thing
and
that other thing
and also
more things
? Or watch the video that reveals
a whole other thing
?

Actually, I'm a little worried about
that last thing
and the implications.

caliph95

What? Why would want to post about
that thing
and
that other thing
and also
more things
? Or watch the video that reveals
a whole other thing
?

Actually, I'm a little worried about
that last thing
and the implications.

You mean
that thing
or
the other thing
It's a sneak peak that i'm not sure if it's from CN or not because i can't access their youtube page.

Psxphile

You mean
that thing
or
the other thing
It's a sneak peak that i'm not sure if it's from CN or not because i can't access their youtube page.

The only preview video out right now is from the usual leaks, along with some screenshots. The video is pretty harmless, but hints at something sinister and cuts off in a bad place. The screenshots themselves I feel are pretty spoiler-ry
even though some of us have already surmised what we're going to see from the synopsis

caliph95

The only preview video out right now is from the usual leaks, along with some screenshots. The video is pretty harmless, but hints at something sinister and cuts off in a bad place. The screenshots themselves I feel are pretty spoiler-ry
even though some of us have already surmised what we're going to see from the synopsis

So the vid should be fine if i tagged with a spoiler

Watched the leaked episode.

All in all, it's not an episode where stuff "happens," so I imagine there's some people who will complain about it. This episode is pretty much Steven talking to himself, but it's absolutely a conversation that Steven needed to have. It's an extremely important introspective episode, and the writers did a good job of making "Rose" always feel almost real, but still off and a bit fake. In addition to Steven venting at his "mom" and calling her a liar, the quiet parts with Steven completely alone in his house hit really hard as well. That's one thing I'll always respect about this show: it knows when to be quiet and practically silent when the moment calls for it.

This is a perfect half-way point for Steven's development this season.

And the way the camera lingered for a bit on his earrings make think that they'll play a big part in a future arc. It's very possible that there's some sort of tracking mechanism in them.

The background music in this episode
(particularly the piano)
was top-notch. Everyone wants an official soundtrack release with all the vocal songs, while I'm over here wishing Aivi and Surasshu's background music would get a Spotify release. I know they're on Soundcloud, but I wish I could just mix their tracks into my everyday playlist.

Tarydax

Banned
It was alright - another episode that gives more character development for Steven.

Also, that
Peanuts
reference definitely didn't feel like it belonged there.

TheSun

What a nice episode. I always wondered when he was going to use the room like that. A good quiet episode.

Let's see what's next...Rock...naldo?

Aww damn! And I was getting used to not seeing Ronaldo again. What a shame.

Till tiger philanthropist I guess.

See your best friend worry about her mom all day cause she's late while you have no mom to wait for but you have her war baggage to deal with.

Feels bad.

JSevere

we finally got
Steven meeting and talking with Rose in their room
. plenty of feels as expected. I want to give Steven a hug :(

The New Crystal Gems was a disappointment for me. I think I only watch the show at this point because my partner loves it so.

It's not a bad episode per se, but I feel the opportunity was wasted. I can't imagine we will get another episode focused on the three of them again for a long time, if ever.

Steven being alone with his thoughts in the house
has to be one of the most unsettling scenes of the entire show.

It works within the context of what Steven's going through and it's gut-wrenching with how realistic and relatable it feels. I have definitely had those moments in life
where I'm alone at home, wordlessly showering, making and eating food, and just sitting around with nothing but silence and my thoughts.

Well that was certainly an emotional episode. Felt like we need a few more minutes to let the emotions to set in, but it was a nice character development episode for Steven.

I thought Storm In The Room was great.
It was very well-crafted on the character development side of things.
I think Rebecca's reasoning for the existence of this episode makes a ton of sense from a storytelling perspective; this was the perfect time for Steven to do this, the anger and confusion he felt towards his mom feels earned after episodes like Bismuth and Earthlings.

The super blatant Charlie Brown reference felt really out of place though, especially in comparison to something like:
Buck: "I only wanna see you laughing, in the pizza rain."
Steven: "Is...that a reference to something?"

The storm episode was great, it made me think of the time naruto got to meet his mother, but the thing is we dont know if that really was rose, which is kinda hard to swallow, its honestly really sad. I hope in the next episode we have something story driven.

MartyStu

I must be the only guy in the fanbase who actually likes Renaldo. I think his first episode has been the only time I have actively disliked him.

Ronaldo isn't supposed to be a 100% likable character, and that's why I enjoy him when he's used sparingly. He not only accidentally (?) predicts future plot developments, he also allows the show to get a bit meta. Judging by the leaks,
Rocknaldo should be a good episode, especially if you hate Ronaldo. Even Steven seems to be getting sick of his shit.

PSqueak

Banned
But it was Lars so .....

He tried to kill steven in a lame lizard costume too.

And let's talk about Lars, while we're at it.

Lars has been a fucking victim in absolutely every single episode he's been prominently featured in.

-Nearly killed by plant monsters in Lars and the Cool Kids
-Nearly killed after Sadie selfishly trapped him and Steven in an island with a monster just so she could live her little romantic fantasy.
-Poisoned with magical hot sauce in prank victim (admittedly, the one time he deserved it)
-Almost sacrificed to a monster by Ronaldo because Ronaldo selfishly didn't want to let go something that happened several years ago.
-Body snatched by Steven for an entire day in The New Lars.

We get it, Lars is the typical teen insecure jerk, but sweet moon, he doesn't deserve neither the hate he gets nor constantly being on the brink of death.

caliph95

Lars has been a fucking victim in absolutely every single episode he's been prominently featured in.

-Nearly killed after Sadie selfishly trapped him and Steven in an island with a monster just so she could live her little romantic fantasy.
-Poisoned with magical hot sauce in prank victim (admittedly, the one time he deserved it)
-Almost sacrificed to a monster by Ronaldo because Ronaldo selfishly didn't want to let go something that happened several years ago.

We get it, Lars is the typical teen insecure jerk, but sweet moon, he doesn't deserve neither the hate he gets nor constantly being on the brink of death.

Never noticed how bad he gets.

Though even i found New Lars hard to watch

ReAxion

Ronaldo is the worst type of filler, as made perfectly clear in Watermelon Steven when we as an audience have to watch him fill out like a full minute of air time typing out his live blog.

zeemumu

tumblr_oj02wvObe41ufm4kio1_r1_400.gif

Like Squidward and Meg/Brian in Family Guy, Lars is the type who would willingly screw you over for his own ends, mainly because that's what being a teenager (a shitty one, anyway) is. He's not a jerk just to be a jerk or be rebellious. There's an endgame. That's probably why he gets the treatment he does. It'll stop when he drops that persona, which he won't unless there's a timeskip. Lars can't win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom