• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psxphile

For what it's worth: promo image for Doug Out by Lamar Abrams:

tumblr_oppcszf3li1qkt447o1_1280.jpg

ARGH! STEVEN and CONNIE got BENCHED but it was a totally unfair call on the part of the referee. now the beach city team has lost their lead in the BIG GAME!!! they just have to kick a few more slam dunks into the goal to win this! C’MON, COACH!!! get them back in there so the team can WIN THIS!!!! DOUG OUT! the next “new” episode of STEVEN UNIVERSE! boarded by Katie Mitroff & Lamar Abrams

Also Hillary laments forgetting to do one for yesterday's episode, but she had a good reason.

Zubz

Banned
I don't know how the CN App works, so these episodes are new to me! I thought that was a pretty nice episode, but I feel bad Doug didn't get a win by at least finding some evidence of
Homeworld Gem involvement

I'd be happy with a complete printed collection of them. Hopefully the upcoming art book includes a bunch of the promo art.

That would be pretty dope.

I remember somebody (who I think might have been commissioned by CN...I'm not sure) making a really awesome piece featuring Malachite fighting Alexandrite, and boy would I LOVE a high-quality poster of that to hang in my room.

Zubz

Banned
I actually really liked that Lars episode. I can relate to him feeling uncomfortable around supportive people, but
I'm, like, 99.99% certain he got abducted almost immediately after pitching the cake. Stoked to finally see Topaz & Aquamarine tomorrow, though!

I'd be happy with a complete printed collection of them. Hopefully the upcoming art book includes a bunch of the promo art.

Definitely. I'd expect that to be a section, but there's too many promo pieces for them to fit all of them.

Psxphile

A little late, but Colin Howard posted this and I want to share because it's important:

tumblr_oprny8bjyK1raqqdgo1_1280.jpg

TONIGHT! My last episode of Steven Universe boarded with the wonderful @jeffliujeffliu! Hope you enjoy and thanks for all the support! It's been a huge honor to be able to board on the show and I hope you look forward to all the great episodes yet to come!

For the episode I made an ube roll from scratch with Christy Cohen, our amazing production coordinator and resident sugar witch. Ours wasn't quite as good as a real Filipino ube roll (my fault) but we did pretty good for our first time I think!

<3 you all, hope you enjoy!

Bye Collins. You were a pretty good Joe Johnston replace.
EDIT: turns out he just went back to his old job, as character designer

Man, now would have been a good time to bring back that SU food related item feature. I now want to try an Ube roll.

Well, well, well, Stuck Together is apparently available early, right now, in full on the Cartoon Network App.

Warning: If you did not watch this current Steven Bomb on the CN App already, Stuck Together is the episode that was supposed to air on Memorial Day and has massive spoilers for that bomb.

It's almost 1am and I have to work tomorrow....I can handle 11 more minutes before bed.

Psxphile

Is Joe Johnston still working on the show? Or has he left to do something else?
He replaced Ian Jones-Quartey as the Supervising Director.

Well, well, well, Stuck Together is apparently available early, right now, in full on the Cartoon Network App.

Warning: If you did not watch this current Steven Bomb on the CN App already, Stuck Together is the episode that was supposed to air on Memorial Day and has massive spoilers for that bomb.

It's almost 1am and I have to work tomorrow....I can handle 11 more minutes before bed.

fuuuuuuuck

EDIT: damn, not on Spectrum yet

(Spoilers for Stuck Together)

Well then.
Those calling for Topaz redemption almost got it. Could still happen, but we at Homeworld, baby!

Watched it. Lauren Zuke is the sole storyboarder on this ep and now I miss them even more.

(Spoilers for Stuck Together)

Well then.
Those calling for Topaz redemption almost got it. Could still happen, but we at Homeworld, baby!

This had better be part of a bomb on TV. Waiting for these episodes week by week on TV would be torture with how real things are about to get. I legit have no idea if we're going to spend the entire season on Homeworld or just this bomb. All I can say is that it honestly looks like The Trial will straight-up be what people predicted: Steven being put on trial for Rose's crimes, more than likely by the Diamonds themselves. Will we see White Diamond? Will it just be some new gems? Who knows? It's awesome.

I love Zuke's faces and there's one I can't wait to start using when this episode airs

I know exactly which one you're talking about and I loved it so much I screenshot it on my iPad. I won't post it, but
Aquamarine remains a glorious, hateable little shit and I love that she's NOT on board with this talk-about-our-feelings crap.

I know exactly which one you're talking about and I loved it so much I screenshot it on my iPad. I won't post it, but
Aquamarine remains a glorious, hateable little shit and I love that she's NOT on board with this talk-about-our-feelings crap.

(Stuck Together spoilers)
Steven basically roasting Aquamarine saying she's afraid that she's weak was an amazing lead-up to that face.

Wth, season 5 premiere is already live?! God they are just spoiling us now, and I love it.

I just love/hate Aquamarine, she's such a little shit that has a sense of humor that a balance of funny and menacing.

I enjoyed the bonding moment between Steven and Lars, even though it's kinda a rehash from the Good Lars episode.

Oh shit, Topaz talks!

Good thing Topaz didn't completely get redeemed, it would've too corny, even for SU.

Kudos to Lauren Zuke because that was an awesome episode.
I'm really gonna miss their contribution to SU.
ADVACED (Stuck Together) SPOILERS:
I can't even right now, that whole conversation between Steven and Lars got so real; its quite understandable to me why Topaz became so moved by it. haha
Also speaking of Topaz, I did not expect that conventionally fem young woman's voice to come out of her mouth; I expected something a lot more...Jasper-esque, anyways whatever she was adorable. I want to see more of that big lug.
Hmmmm...
and on an even more interesting note related to her, sentimentality/affection and fusion really do seem to be intimately linked; I know that sounds like a no brainier going off of what we've seen with the CGs but (our) Ruby made same-gem fusion sound like a very sterile experience when she described it to Sapphire in "The Answer", so I found it surprising that both Topaz and Aqua implied that affection/sentimentality are almost an inherent part of the ability/state in general. Topaz and Topaz actually care for one another, they're not just robots working together to perform a task. I love it.

Also the Topaz/Jasper parallels are gaining even more strength with Topaz's "They're always sending me on these miserable missions! I'm always pretending I'm fine with it, I have to pretend I'm fine." lines.
Jasper: "Sigh...Looks like another waste of my time!" *while protecting Peridot on her cluster mission*. lol At this point she's almost starting to feel like the Wario to Jasper's Mario hahahaha

I just watched the new episode and I like it.
I'm excited for the next episode. I started to like Topaz and Aquamarine too. It seems that Topaz is voiced by Martha Higareda, a famous mexican actress. Or maybe is someone named like her, it's not confirmed yet. I was surprised when I saw her name in the credits.

It's interesting how OP blue gems seem to be.
Lapis is literally lifted the ocean, Sapphire can see the future, and
Aquamarine took out Alexandrite in one flick of her wand thing.
Wonder what the lore reason for this is

KiN0

To be fair, aquamarine wand thing seems to be a piece of tech like peridot's limb enhancers. But yeah, blue gems seem more intelligent and "special" compared to others

Honestly, I hope all of season 5 is on homeworld.
When I saw topaz tearing up I was worried they were gonna go back.
This is probably the end of the show, and I hope they go all out and do a 30 episode long arc. Would be cool to have little quiet episodes showing the backdoor obscure areas of homeworld and interacting with its civilians.

Stuck Together made me go from laughing quite hard to nearly welling up in about thirty seconds. I hope season five maintains this level of enjoyment.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
With Stuck Together now out on the app, shouldn't a new thread be made? That's the first episode of Season 5, afterall.

zeemumu

I'm only up to "I Am My Mom" right now, but I see where this is going and I'm incredibly interested to know how and why.

Edit: And there it is

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Shiet, these fucking episodes keep sneaking up on me. I watched the episodes following Steven's ZooSpace adventure only recently and now I've got even more?

TheOGB

Banned
With Stuck Together now out on the app, shouldn't a new thread be made? That's the first episode of Season 5, afterall.
"Are You My Dad?" and "I Am My Mom" haven't aired on TV yet, so even though most of us have seen them already a Season 5 thread feels like getting ahead of ourselves. It's an awkward position CN have us in now.

Psxphile

Well, the whole point of dropping "Season x" from the thread subject unlike previous OTs was because of the weird way the show (well, CN) has been doling out seasons.

To be fair, aquamarine wand thing seems to be a piece of tech like peridot's limb enhancers. But yeah, blue gems seem more intelligent and "special" compared to others

A while back, Sugar said in an interview that Sapphire had the "aristocratic qualities of a blue gem" or something to that effect, and while it might sound like a color = personality thing out of context, I think it was in reference to Blue Diamond's court. Ironically, in spite of their "diplomatic" roles, it seems like blues have been the hardest nuts to crack, with 3 out of the 4 native Blue Diamond court gems we've gotten to know all being antagonists or villains. Lapis took forever to acclimate to Earth and she's still not on the exact same page as the CGs, Sapphire was just going to sit there and get poofed if it weren't for Ruby's intervention, Holly Blue Agate was a jerk, and Blue Diamond is... well, Blue Diamond. I have a feeling blue gems in general are less common than some of the other courts, but tend to be stronger / have more notable abilities and weapons, like Sapphire's future vision or Holly Blue's electrical whip. Every blue gem sans Sapphire also seems to have a teardrop gem, even down to BD's diamond being tear-shaped. You could probably even argue Sapphire's cut bears the component parts - circle + triangle can be combined to make a teardrop, I mean.

(Are You My Dad+ spoilers)
And now Aquamarine seems to be no exception. Super powerful little shit, doesn't like talking about her feelings, teardrop cut.

Considering the Gempire are a bunch of interstellar conquerors, it makes sense that their diplomatic division wouldn't be especially populous.

"Are You My Dad?" and "I Am My Mom" haven't aired on TV yet, so even though most of us have seen them already a Season 5 thread feels like getting ahead of ourselves. It's an awkward position CN have us in now.

They haven't?

I watched them off AT&T's On Demand service, so that seems odd.

They haven't?

I watched them off AT&T's On Demand service, so that seems odd.

Cartoon Network has taken to releasing episodes early on On Demand services and on its Cartoon Network App.

Honestly, it's probably better for the show if you watch through On Demand or the CN App because those give more accurate numbers regarding viewerships than just using the Nielsen boxes ratings method.

What in the hay. A new promo for a 1 hour special event on memorial day MAY 29.

Steven Universe: Wanted

"Spoilers" (I mean, it's a promo) for future episodes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxUhq8Th8u0

I love BD's voice. And is that a Peridot we see when Steven's in between the yellow, blue, and white colors?

HOLY FUCK THAT HYPE

Cartoon Network: "Forget bombs, just air them all in one night!"

Yellow Diamond shooting force lightning, Steven and Lars falling inside of Blue Diamond's palanquin, Lars actually doing heroic stuff, that Blue Diamond threat and stare-down. It looks like basically Steven & Lars vs. the Diamonds/Homeworld.

Also, I think it's pretty much a given we're going to see a Steven/Lars fusion by the end of this event. They've made Lars way too important for that not to happen. The fans may have hated the idea at first, but Lars looks like he's definitely maturing into a very likable character and friend.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
What in the hay. A new promo for a 1 hour special event on memorial day MAY 29.

Steven Universe: Wanted

"Spoilers" (I mean, it's a promo) for future episodes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxUhq8Th8u0

I love BD's voice. And is that a Peridot we see when Steven's in between the yellow, blue, and white colors?

I've said this in the past, but I've always liked Lars more than most people, but I never would've predicted it'd be fucking Steven and Lars going to face Homeworld in a million years. I've said for a while I also would love for the people of Beach City and the Gems stories to mix more than they have in the past where they almost feel like separate entities, but I never expected quite like this. It's a bit weird to see a lack of Crystal Gems and Steven and Lars going up against Yellow and Blue Diamond, but I admit I'm excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom