• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...we gotta see White Diamond soon, right?

Promo makes it seem like we'll finally get
at least a name drop of White Diamond, but it might be Yellow and Blue Diamond (especially Blue) doing the major appearances for the event. We might get a curveball and get our first look at Pink Diamond though, either through flashbacks or some video/picture method.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Also I've been meaning to ask, is there any reason people think Season 5 will be the series finale? I know we're
going to Homeworld
, but I still feel the series has more left in it to go on past that. I also recall around the Bismoth episode or so somebody involved saying that they were about at the half-point of the story they wanted to tell with Steven Universe, but I could be remembering wrong.

I've just seen a lot of people speculating Season 5 to be the last season, but I kind of feel the show still has a couple of seasons or so left rather than season 5 being the finale. But maybe there's something I missed.

That promo? Hoo boy, bring it on.

Yellow Diamond has Force lightning, and the very first thing I thought was Palpatine from Return of the Jedi saying "If you will not be turned...you will be destroyed.

I also think the idea that Season 5 will be the end is premature. The new videogame, the OST, and the fact that they still seem to be recording regularly suggests to me work is still going forward.

Maybe people are worried because of the writers leaving after Season 5 and some of the storyboard departures. But I don't think so.

I also think there is a whole lot more story there than just one season's left. I could easily see, at least, 4 or 5 more. Not to be cliche but I don't think Homeworld is an end but instead another beginning. The world is really opening up.

JSevere

The latest bomb was pretty good. Thoughts:

LION 4: ALTERNATE ENDING -
Not as great as the previous Lion eps, but a nice way to wrap up the arc about Steven's insecurities regarding Rose. She didn't have any grand plans for him, she just wanted him to be a kid and enjoy life, which I think is a necessary realization for Steven to have.

DOUG OUT -
Doug is great.

THE GOOD LARS -
Turned Lars into one of my favorite characters on the show. Showed that he's really just an insecure teen who's worried about what others think of him all the time; I was hoping the writers would eventually go into that trait of his and they did it excellently here.

ARE YOU MY DAD? / I AM MY MOM -
Aquamarine is an excellent villain holy shit. Loved the callback to Marble Madness and the fight on the Homeworld ship was really tense with great music. Steven revealing himself as the reincarnated Rose to the new Gems and going with them while the CGs and Connie beg him not to has got to be one of the emotional scenes in the series, and a hell of a cliffhanger that really opens the door to where the show can go from here. I wasn't expecting for the first arc of season 5 to be Steven and Lars' Bizarre Adventure on Homeworld, but that's such a great direction to take and I love that Steven will be separated from the Crystal Gems during such a pivotal series of eps that's gonna be a true gamechanger for the show.

re the Wanted promo: I love that they're not even spacing the next bomb out over the week and it's just gonna be airing as a one hour special. that's how you know things are gonna get crazy.
Blue Diamond sounds like she's gonna straight up torture Steven, damn.
can't wait to see where this goes

I also think the idea that Season 5 will be the end is premature. The new videogame, the OST, and the fact that they still seem to be recording regularly suggests to me work is still going forward.

Maybe people are worried because of the writers leaving after Season 5 and some of the storyboard departures. But I don't think so.

I also think there is a whole lot more story there than just one season's left. I could easily see, at least, 4 or 5 more. Not to be cliche but I don't think Homeworld is an end but instead another beginning. The world is really opening up.
Eh.... 4 or 5 is too much. I really don't want Steven Universe to drag for as long as Adventure Time did honestly.

Also I've been meaning to ask, is there any reason people think Season 5 will be the series finale? I know we're
going to Homeworld
, but I still feel the series has more left in it to go on past that. I also recall around the Bismoth episode or so somebody involved saying that they were about at the half-point of the story they wanted to tell with Steven Universe, but I could be remembering wrong.

I've just seen a lot of people speculating Season 5 to be the last season, but I kind of feel the show still has a couple of seasons or so left rather than season 5 being the finale. But maybe there's something I missed.

I definitely don't think this is the end, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if it was. It's just that things are kicking into high gear in a major way.

Jasper, Bismuth, and Centipeetle's stories could all technically be "closed" for now (though I don't think fans would be happy with that). But we still have a bunch of other dangling plot threads. Corruption still needs to be explored and cured. The Rubies are still out there. Lapis needs to deal with her issues and grow closer to the rest of the Crystal Gems. Pearl needs to date Mystery Girl. We haven't even gotten Pearl and Amethyst's flashback origin stories. And probably the biggest when you think about it: Steven hasn't fused with Pearl or Garnet yet. It would be very odd for the series to end with him having fused with only one of the main Crystal Gems.

I think we'll get at least two more seasons, maybe three. The show is probably going to change very drastically by the end of Season 5 though.

Eh.... 4 or 5 is too much. I really don't want Steven Universe to drag for as long as Adventure Time did honestly.

Well, I think it's different with Adventure Time. I'm not saying it stuck around for too long, surely there is value in it even if it's different than what one might get from Steven. But I think what made Adventure Time feel really stale is how stalled the plot was. It has constantly been restarted or returned to status quo. On the other hand, Steven Universe is progressing and has been progressing. They have handled the story a million times better than Adventure Time, annoying townie episodes and all. There are answers, we are moving forward, we are learning new things in a way that Adventure Time has usually shied away from.

I think there is a lot of potential.

Promo makes it seem like we'll finally get
at least a name drop of White Diamond, but it might be Yellow and Blue Diamond (especially Blue) doing the major appearances for the event. We might get a curveball and get our first look at Pink Diamond though, either through flashbacks or some video/picture method.

It's worth noting
that scene with Mystery Gem and Steven sitting in the middle of that huge light-panel thing extends into three different colors: yellow, blue, and white. I think if there were ever a time to reveal White Diamond, it's going to be somewhere in here, even if it may not be her main attraction (think YD in Message Received versus That Will Be All).

Also, the next four episodes are all meant to be viewed consecutively, not episodically, not even in a bomb format. Holy shit. I know people were expecting Gem Harvest to be Bismuth 2, but I'm thinking this is going to be that, if anything.

What in the hay. A new promo for a 1 hour special event on memorial day MAY 29.

Steven Universe: Wanted

"Spoilers" (I mean, it's a promo) for future episodes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxUhq8Th8u0

I love BD's voice. And is that a Peridot we see when Steven's in between the yellow, blue, and white colors?

tumblr_n1m57mZ5HG1s0amwgo1_500.gif

The Hype

I'm happy Lars is getting a big boost in the character department, the steven/lars dynamic is working well so far.

Just a PSA: turns out Stuck Together got released on the app so that users could "catch the first 10 minutes of Wanted early", so it looks like Wanted consists of Stuck Together, The Trial, Off Colors and Lars' Head.

EDIT: This has to be the darkest background music we've gotten to one of these promos, right? The only thing that comes remotely close is "WHAT WE REALLY ARE"

RedHill

Banned
The reason people think season 5 is the end is because it hasn't been publicly renewed past that. However, the show is still being storyboarded/recorded currently so I think it got a silent renewal. Plus there's a lot of shot to tie up. More than 25 episodes will be able to do + filler

Regarding the promo,
I wonder what kind of punishment BD is talking about. Since Steven is half human, I doubt the usual gem torture methods would work on him. Shattering his gem and the aftermath is still an unknown, but removing his gem could very well be a death sentence, if certain theories are correct. Having Steven cease to exist would be the ultimate punishment for Rose, especially if she reformed afterwards.

Shy Fingers

Banned
I watched Steven Bomb + Leaked Episode + Trailer tonight. Gonna Spoiler it all because I'm new to this and don't know the rules.

Steven Bomb
was a good mix of expanding characters and story.

Leaked Episode
was alright, was fun watching Lars grow a pair for Steven

Trailer
I want Blue Diamond to become a popular voice actor I love her serious tone.

I could see one possibility being that White Diamond was a fusion of Blue, Yellow and Pink Diamond, so with Pink Diamond being shattered White vanished by proxy, too. If they don't have time to go into a potential WD arc, I think it'd be a reasonable way of killing two birds with one stone (or two stones with one bird, in this case).

I could see one possibility being that White Diamond was a fusion of Blue, Yellow and Pink Diamond, so with Pink Diamond being shattered White vanished by proxy, too. If they don't have time to go into a potential WD arc, I think it'd be a reasonable way of killing two birds with one stone (or two stones with one bird, in this case).

While that would be disappointing, it'd be an understandable way to "write off" White Diamond from appearing on the show. Another way could be that White Diamond is the stoic elder leader type who never leaves her throne and lets Yellow and Blue do all the heavy lifting. Then you have White Diamond only appear in a few episodes at the very end and she decides to stop the fighting after Steven convinces her.

The ideal scenario is, of course, that Blue and Yellow Diamond are defeated (not shattered, just suffering decisive losses) and White Diamond, the supreme Homeworld leader, becomes the final main antagonist of the series. Given how she appears at the very top of the Diamond Authority insignia, with Blue and Yellow below her and parallel to each other, that seems like a logical path to take.

Raxus

Considering how much the diamonds despise fusion I would think their views on 'purity' nixes that theory. I imagine we aren't too far from White Diamond showing up as the head honcho. Especially since every diamond symbol features her on top.

caliph95

Considering how much the diamonds despise fusion I would think their views on 'purity' nixes that theory. I imagine we aren't too far from White Diamond showing up as the head honcho. Especially since every diamond symbol features her on top.
They only hate fusion between different types of gems, fusion between the same types are fine

Yeah, I don't see that theory being true either. I would bet White Diamond is her own person and not a fusion.

The only hint of her appearance shows her with one gem -- not with YD or BD's gem.
I'm sure here time will come. We also went ages without getting Blue Diamond explicitly referenced.

Yeah, I don't see that theory being true either. I would bet White Diamond is her own person and not a fusion.

The only hint of her appearance shows her with one gem -- not with YD or BD's gem.
I'm sure here time will come. We also went ages without getting Blue Diamond explicitly referenced.

Not to mention Pink, who didn't even get named until the end of Season 3.

EDIT: Actually, wait. We've had a Diamond reveal every season finale so far:

Season 1 - Yellow Diamond namedrop, implied Blue / White with the insignias on the hand ship.

Season 2 - Actual YD reveal.

Season 3 - Pink Diamond namedrop.

Season 4 - Steven's now getting whisked off to the diamonds directly.

While Blue Diamond kind of breaks this trend by having her reveal(s) being in the middle-ish of seasons 2 and 4, going by the existing pattern we're roughly "due" for a diamond reveal, so maybe there's more intention behind an upcoming White Diamond namedrop / possible reveal than I thought.

Zubz

Banned
I caved this time & saw the leak.
Topaz is adorable & I can't wait to see her join the main team. ... That's what the crabs are about, right?

The Mystery of Rose Quartz

A short video made up of old footage with relevant story beats for the just-aired bomb episodes and beyond.

Wow, Cartoon Network is straight-up doing story/lore recap videos now. It seems more and more that they finally realize that the show's dramatic, "serious" elements are what attracts a lot of its fans.

Did Adventure Time ever get that sort of treatment with its plot? Or was it simply easier for CN marketing to lean on the colorful creativity and wacky humor of AT? I'm genuinely curious, because the AT miniseries were all good-to-great as well.

Psxphile

Did Adventure Time ever get that sort of treatment with its plot? Or was it simply easier for CN marketing to lean on the colorful creativity and wacky humor of AT? I'm genuinely curious, because the AT miniseries were all good-to-great as well.
They usually leaned heavily on character interactions rather than the lore that was already present for their promos.

Well, more recently there was this before the Islands mini-series event aired.

I just realized the show could end this summer if they do another steven nuke. After "SU wanted" theres only 22 episodes left in season 5, which is about the same as last years summer if steven. If they do that and there isnt a season 6, RIP Steven Universe in 3 months

has anyone counted all the planets? maybe white diamond's planets are the other 3's combined

The other problem with that theory is the gem placement - unless Pink's gem was on her forehead, which goes against everything we've learned so far, there's no reason fusion!WD would have a forehead gem.

RedHill

Banned
WD fusion theory makes no sense. The insignia has blue, pink, yellow, and white pre-PD's death, and post it's just blue yellow and white. How could the three of them fuse to make white and also make white when it's only two of them?

WD fusion theory makes no sense. The insignia has blue, pink, yellow, and white pre-PD's death, and post it's just blue yellow and white. How could the three of them fuse to make white and also make white when it's only two of them?

That's the biggest problem with the fusion theory. The show has been pretty consistent with each fusions' colors, and if you mix blue, yellow and pink the resulting color would a brownish hue.
If you mix blue and yellow you sure as hell wouldn't get white.

Also, since each fusion is its own person, the supposed White Diamond fusion before pink's shattering would no longer exist.

Blues1990

I want to think that White Diamond has enough confidence to leave both Yellow and Blue to control the other operations that Pink used to govern (in addition to their territories), but is probably going to step in when they fail to kill/shatter Steven/Rose Quarts once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom