• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter : 3rd Strike SUPER appreciation thread

LakeEarth

Street Fighter was a phenomenon that lasted for several years. But when this game came out in 1999, 2D fighters were not nearly as popular as they once were. 3rd Strike wasn’t as popular as it should’ve been at first, but in time it was found to be a very deep, very balanced fighter developed especially for smart, exciting 1 on 1 competition. 5 years after its release, the interest in 3rd Strike increased as Capcom released 3rd Strike onto the PS2 (and that Evo2k4 Daigo video was circulated through the net), and later went online on the Xbox. Though it can never hit the same amount of popularity it had 15 years ago, 3rd Strike is still a great game that should’ve became a phenomenon like its SF2 brother.

I have never…ever been this in love with a videogame ever. I don’t just play it, I study it. I learn every aspect about it. I watch match videos and tourney videos as if they were sporting events. I am trying to improve myself in the game, but I’m 5 years behind everyone else so technically it’s pointless, but I’m having so much fun that it doesn’t matter. It is such an excellent fighter, and I don’t know any other fighter that feels so well put together. Capcom was able to change the game drastically, and yet have the changes seem like perfect extensions to the Street Fighting play style. With parries, red parries, techs, overheads, EX moves etc, it still feels like the same Street Fighter we’ve been enjoying for 15 years (the first one doesn’t count).

I am so into this game that I am going to write a semi-long blurb on all 20 characters in the game. I know others like Haunts will tear apart some of my comments on some characters, and I’m also not much of a writer, so I’m prepared for the criticism. But I can’t help myself so here we go.

Alex
alex.jpg

Tier : Low-Middle Tier
Quote : ”You can't escape!”

Alex was supposed to be the next Ryu, designed for the US fans to pick to love. Maybe that’s why he resembles Hulk Hogan so much (he has the red bandana, and even has the big boot for godsake). Either way, Alex never reached the popularity that Capcom envisioned. Still, Alex is a fun fighter that I am proud to call my main guy. Alex has two major advantages: stun and power. His moves hit hard, and once he’s stunned you, you are dead. Alex is a grappler, but unlike Hugo and Zangief, he actually has mobility with his dash, dashing elbow and air stomps. It makes Alex a formidable opponent. He does have weaknesses though. Many of his moves come out slow, and his moves have some pretty shitty priority (priority: if two moves come out at the same time, the one with higher priority hits). He is easy learn though and I suggest trying him out after a new player gets over there Ryu/Ken fix and want to try someone new.

Super Art I – The Hyper Bomb (from behind, the 5G Hyperplex)
Big ****ing damage. If Alex grabs you with this, say goodbye to half your energy. He in invulnerable during the animation, so if his opponent is in an attack animation, he’s screwed. If you grab the opponent from behind, a much faster, much harder move occurs. It causes much more damage. Problem with the super is that the bar you need to fill up for the super is very long, and you may only get the chance to use the super once per match, twice if you’re lucky. Alex’s EX moves are also very good so being limited on using those isn’t a good thing. Best to do this move after a parry or if the opponent ****s up.

Super Art II – Boomerang Raid
Good damage, 2 stocks, and hit confirmable (meaning you can hit someone before activating the super, and you have enough time to confirm the hit before supering so you don’t waste the bar). Plus with 2 stocks, you are free to use EX moves whenever the need arises. The “professional” Alex players use this super.

Super Art III – Stungun Headbutt
Alex flips in the air, flips down, and headbutts you repeatedly until you are stunned. Does okay damage, but then comes the stun damage. With Alex’s power, you can make this special do more damage then the hyperbomb. The bar is very short too, which means you can use it 2-3 times a match if you are doing well. However, Alex is completely vulnerable when he’s coming back down from the air, leaving him open to dragon punches, any antiair, or even a well-timed jab. There are some setups to improve your chances of hitting the super, but against a professional, there is no way you’ll hit them with this super unless you get really lucky. Use against fireball happy newbies (aka scrubs).

Akuma/Gouki
gouki.jpg

Tier : Middle Tier
Quote : ”You've fulfilled your purpose in life by allowing me to end it!”

The ‘man’ who killed Ryu and Ken’s Master. The demon that killed Bison because he deemed him unworthy of life. The THING with the worst ****ing health in the game. Everyone’s favourite Dragonball Z reject (totally joking, sorta, kinda, not really) returns to Street Fighter. He is very fast, very strong, and his moves have high priority. He is all about rushing in and overwhelming your opponent. Why isn’t he top tier though? He has so little health it’s insane. Two hard hitting combos and Akuma is done. He also gets stunned real easily too. And he has no EX moves. It was all done for the sake of balance, and a good job was done of it too.

Super Art I – Messatsu Gou Hadou or Super Fireball
A huge fireball. Very versatile super that can be done in the air, and it is linked easily from many moves. For the length of the bar it doesn’t do a lot of damage, but if you use it right, it is “guaranteed” damage. Professional super of choice.

Super Art II – Messatsu Gou Shoryu orTriple Shoryuken
The same super Ken and Akuma have had since Super Turbo. This one does really good damage. Not as linkable as his first super, but still can be hit confirmed which is the requirement for a good non-throw super.

Super Art III – Messatsu Gou Rasen orSuper Hurricane Kick
Akuma starts to spin really fast on the spot and rises into the air spinning like mad. A good anti-air super and I believe can be hit confirmed, but only a few ways. The super doesn’t have good reach so it can be whiffed quite easily, and if it does miss, it gives your opponent lots of times to come up with a devastating hit, and it’s not like Akuma can afford the hit. Does good damage though.

Secret Super Art – The Raging Demon
LP LP -> LK HP. The move that sends your soul straight to hell (or something). The move that introduced him to Street Fighter fans (if you make it to Bison Super Turbo without losing a match, Akuma will come in, hit Bison with the raging demon and fights you instead), it is a well liked super because it is so flashy. Does great damage, but needs two superbars. Even though it IS linkable, it really isn’t easily done in a real match, but there are setups to get it to work.

EDIT - there are ways to make this super unavoidable. The two setups are called Dash->Demon and Kara-Demon. Both dashing into demon, or karaing the demon (f.mp karacanceled into demon), if you are right next to the guy, will hit no matter what. It gets Hugo's Gigas properties where you can't even jump out of the way. Very hard to do but very flashy if you can do it.

Secret Super Art –Kongou Kokuretsu Zan
Akuma slams his fist into the ground, causing an enormous shockwave that will do huge damage. The only move that can kill a character (Twelve) in one hit (though probably could never happened in a real match). However, it takes nearly 2 seconds for the move to go off from the flash that signals a super, which gives someone knows the game enough time to get out of the way, but if someone is cornered it could probably do good chip damage. All flash.

Chun Li
chun-li2.jpg

Tier : Top (whore) Tier
Quote : ”I am the strongest women in the world.”

Chun Li is a whore. A no good dirty ****ing whore. Okay, she’s not that bad, but anyone who wants to get good at this game will quickly learn to hate Chun Li. Her moves have great priority, her back+FP move come out much too quick for a “fierce” move, and her SAII super is much too powerful for a medium sized bar. On top of everything, can build up two stocks of it. What really makes the super dangerous though is that it is easily hit confirmable from a down+MK hit, and that move in itself has high priority and comes out really really fast. In a flash your health can go down 40-50%. There’s a good reason why Evo 2K5 finals was a Chun vs Chun fight.

Super Art I – Kikou Sho
Chun’s big blue ball returns once again, and this time it’s at least 5x bigger than its Alpha counterpart. Does good damage for such a short bar, linkable, excellent anti-air. A great super which would be used all the time if the second super wasn’t so extremely abuseable (yes I’m bitter). I use this super whenever I play Chun to make things “fair”.

Super Art II – Houyoku Sen
The very powerful, very quick super that Chunners love to use. You have to fight Chun differently when she has meter because of this super. I’ve already talked about it enough, needless to say there is no reason why anyone would choose her other two supers. This one is just too good. Unfortunately this causes most matches of Chun to consist of her building up meter, then when they get meter, randomly trying to hit you with a d.Mk until one luckily hits and they unleash the super. Repeat. And after the last hit you can super-jump cancel for an extra hit or two, just to make it that little bit worse. Why does it have two stocks??!? (begins to sob)

Super Art III – Tensei Ranna
This super sucks. A decent anti-air, but not very linkable, bad range and doesn’t do a whole lot of damage. It has 3 stocks so you get a lot of EX meter, but Chun’s EX’s aren’t really that useable save one. Not even that good of an anti air. Useless.

Dudley
dudley.jpg

Tier : Upper Tier
Quote : ”Fight like a gentleman... Live like a gentleman!”

Dudley is the man. That’s all there is to it. He’s a rich English 1920s style boxer with a mustache that looks like it was drawn on by a sharpie. ****ing awesome! And just to make him cooler, important part of his strategy is to throw roses at his opponents. He may be a boxer, but he is not like Balrog at all. Lightning fast punches and powerful juggles, Dudley is just a hair away from being in the top tier. His moves do a lot of damage and has excellent EX moves. He does have a problem with his low game, and his air game is weak which is the main reason he isn’t at the top of the ladder. Still, a great character to learn and love.

Super Art I – Rocket Uppercut
Kind of like Ken and Akuma’s triple shoryuken supers, Dudley hits you three times with very powerful uppercuts. The move is quick and has two stocks so you can still abuse Dudley’s great EX moves. Does decent damage and is easily hit confirmed, though not quite as comboable as his SAIII.

Super Art II – Rolling Thunder
One long bar, good damage and good stun. Dudley dashes in and sends body-blow after body-blow until a powerful uppercut. The move only has one stock, which means less EX moves to burn and limits options. The super in itself is great (can be comboed FAR off a f.hp), but not enough damage for the bar, and Dudley is EX dependent so it isn’t usually picked in professional matches (though it happens, it’s not bad). Fun to fool around with though.

Super Art III – Corkscrew Blow
One of the most comboable supers in the game, Dudley fires a quick drill punch into the face of his opponent. A short bar and three stocks means he will probably always have this super ready to go. This move can hit at a distance, but since the first hit contains about 60% of the damage in the super, missing that first hit makes the super nearly painless. Good super to get nearly guaranteed damage. High level players use both SAI and SAIII.

Elena
elenat.jpg
(small picture picked to not expose you to monkey balls)
Tier : Lower Tier
Quote : ”Care to dance?”

She may have the most annoying stage music ever, but Elena’s no slouch. She has the most overheads (moves that hit crouchblocking opponents) in the game and can really hurt with her EX and supers. She has a great throw too. However, her defense is low, doesn’t have huge reach and a lot of her special moves leave her open. Most people who would pick Elena would probably pick Chun instead since she has a similar game but none of the weaknesses.

Super Art I – Spinning Beat
It has a short bar and it’s a decent anti-air, but the Spinning Beat is just really weak. I don’t use this super so I don’t have much to say about it. Use Brave Dance if you want damage.

Super Art II – Brave Dance
Elena jumps at you and starts kicking you up and down for ten hits. Great damage and it is hit confirmable, though the confirm window isn’t as big as other characters. Her hit confirmable poke (d.mp) isn’t the greatest either since it doesn’t have great priority, reach, and is parriable both high and low. With this super, Elena can punish well, and with two stocks, she can use her powerful EX moves.

Super Art III – Healing
Want to piss off your opponent? Pick this super. It’s a long bar, but once it’s full you can heal about 1/3 of your energy. Hit your opponent so he’s at a distance and activate this super. If you activate it by accident, no problem, just hit PPP and it gets cancelled really quick, allowing you to surprise your opponent who thought HE was gonna get the free damage. The best thing about healing is that with a full bar, you can still punish. Elena has a great 3 EX move combo that does almost as much damage as a Brave Dance. So if your opponent messes up royally, you can still punish even though your super doesn’t do any damage.

Gill
gill.jpg

Tier : GOD tier
Quote : ”Kneel before your master.”

The final boss, Gill is … a disappointment. He just doesn’t look menacing at all, half blue, half red, in a thong… apparently Capcom wanted to show off it’s SF3 engine by making the character colourful. Fighting wise, Gill is beyond good. Gill has huge priority, superquick moves, his normals do chip damage, has infinites, deals huge stun, and has a super that can do 70% damage. On top of that, on a full bar, he will resurrect. But he’s a boss character and these things are to be expected. However, on Xbox Live some ****ers like to pick him, which is very angering. Unless you’re really good, or they really suck, just drop cause he’ll only have to hit you once to juggle and stun you.

Super Art – Meteor Shower
When Gill does this super, you know he chose poorly. Well it isn’t that bad. He sends down a bunch of his projectiles from the sky, which are easily blocked, but if you’re in the air you’re in for some trouble. Or if you’re close to Gill, just hit him and they’ll stop. If it hits you it does good damage but he basically wasted his super cause he didn’t do…

Super Art – Seraphic Wing
It does 70% damage if it hits. It does 20% chip damage if you block. It can’t be parried. If you hit him before it activates, you cancel it, but he still has his superbar filled. If you survive though, he drops down a bit dazed which leaves him open for one good combo, so make it count. If you’re wondering why his supers don’t have numbers, its because he can do any one at any time when he has meter.

Super Art – Resurrection
The first time you see this, you are ****ing shocked. You think you finally won, then Gill flies up in the air and refills his bar. Oh sure you can cancel it by hitting him, but he’ll still get at least 30% of his health back if you’re lucky. If you’re against the CPU, just wait for him to waste his super instead of having to deal with this crap.

Hugo
hugo-poison.jpg

Tier : Bottom Tier (BUT in the hands of an expert can do extremely well)
Quote : ”I AM NUMBER ONE!”

Was he in Final Fight? His name isn't Andore, but he looks exactly like him, right down to the pink outfit. At any rate, Hugo is HUGE. Very intimidating, but that also means he's easy to hit, but that isn't all bad. He has great reach, and he recovers from blockstun/hitstun the fastest out of everyone in the game. This means some moves with a delay, like Makoto's Hayate or an early dropkick, even if they hit Hugo can lead to him grabbing your ass and causing major damage. And I'm talking major damage. One fierce 360 will take off a ton of life. However, this causes a lot of players to base their game on trying to hit the 360, which is a mistake because Hugo has some great hitting normals and special moves. His meat squasher move is good for rushing and gets the opponent into the corner, which is what Hugo (or any character for that matter) wants. Hugo also has a huge amount of life to lose, which is a huge plus. Why is he low tier though? He is slow, which means he can become pretty helpless against rush characters like Akuma, or have no way of getting in on distance characters like Necro. Does it mean he's helpless? Hell no. He's ****ing #1 for godsake. But when you pick Hugo, prepare to have to work for your win.

Super Art I – Gigas Breaker
This is the monster. The hardest hitting non-Gill super in the game. When Hugo has his meter full, the whole game changes. No dumb risks. No random supers. One can't afford it. If Hugo blocks a lagging special/super, or parries something you shouldn't have done, prepare to lose. This super has a long bar, but Hugo builds meter really fast so it isn't that big of a deal. What makes this super the hardest to get on someone? 720. You have to spin the stick twice to activate it. 360's aren't too bad because there is a trick to do it without jumping (do a 270 till you're in the up position before hitting punch)...but 720? You have to do something to make sure you don't jump. Scrubs tend to jump in to activate it, or do it at wakeup, but that's really really obvious. Use hitstun and blockstn to your advantage, use a whiffed move to buffer the 720, and know your opponents moves and which ones will leave him wide open. Master parrying, and especially after red parrying, and prepare to be feared.

EEIINNN!!!!! ZWIIIEEEEE!!!! DRRIIIIEEEE!!!! END!! Damn right.

Super Art II – Megaton Press
The ultimate antiair, Hugo jumps up, grabs you in midair and spins, whipps you to the ground and then bodysplashes your ass with his 8 foot, god knows how many pounds body. Huge huge damage. There are even ways to combo it, though usually these combos will cause the damage reduction to lower its power. Against heavy jumping characters like Yun and Yang, this super can be very helpful, as anyone who was smart wouldn't jump at all while you have meter. Good fear factor, but you have to be really quick and good at anticipation to get this super to work for you. If he throws out an early kick or something, there's a chance it will cancel you out of the super, so it isn't unstoppable. But almost.

Super Art III – Hammer Frenzy
A much needed rush move for Hugo, he runs up and starts smacking the shit out of his opponent. This move does good damage for a pretty short bar, but what really makes this super is that it's a way to get in. Hugo doesn't have much to rush in with, as he is vulnerable during most of his rushing moves and his dash is pathetic. However, this will change all that. This special is also linkable which makes it all the better. If you can't do the 720 I suggest this special. I'm not sure but I think its startup goes through fireballs (not the actual running though), so use that knowledge to your advantage. Oh, and hold the punching button to keep Hugo running and release when you want him to start attacking. Hold too long and the super will cancel, but you can unleash 360 after it for a pretty interesting, although risky as hell, mixup.

Ibuki
ibuki.jpg

Tier : Middle-Low Tier
Quote : ”I'm sorry I went so quickly! A girl's gotta have fun, you know!”

The wittlest ninja is back and she’s horribly nerfed from Second Impact. There she was overpowered in the first one, had so many huge combos that hit so quick that it made her just too good. They might’ve gone a bit overboard for Third Strike though, as she isn’t that great in it. She’s still quick and has some strong moves, but she takes damage almost as bad as Akuma and her supers aren’t the easiest to hit with. She has the shortest throw distance too. She can still juggle like mad and has good EX moves though, that little thing can still cause big damage.

Super Art I – Kasumi Suzaku
Short bar, 3 stocks, does great damage and is really hard to hit someone with it. Only comboable off of an EX Kazakiri (“dragon kick”) but does big damage if it connects. It also gives lots of meter for EX moves, which Ibuki needs and is why this super is picked for high level play.

Super Art II – Yoroi Doushi
HUGE damage, barely comboable, and if you aren’t close enough, a secondary, much weaker super will come out. It is also one large bar, so EX moves aren’t as useable anymore (in case you’ve been wondering, I say that because you want that superbar full to have the ability to use it incase the opportunity comes up. If you don’t have it, you lose that opportunity, so you use EX moves less with a move with only one stock). This move is fun to use against new people, but you probably won’t get it on someone who’s good unless they’re caught offguard.

Super Art III – Yami Shigure
Ibuki slices and dices you with her daggers. It’s a quick move that hits low and does a good amount of damage for such a short bar. Its only one stock so you can’t use a lot of EX moves with it, but it’s a decent super. I rarely use it though so I don’t have much to say about it.

Ken
ken2.jpg

Tier : Top Tier
Quote : ”Hey, they might make an action figure out of you too, someday!”

Ken is the character that has every tool you need for any kind of play. Up close, far away, in the air, crouching, great antiair, great pokes, great hit confirms, good health, etc etc, he has the tools. And he’s strong. He can link two jab dragon punches in a row (for mad damage), and has a target combo (mp->fp) that does good damage and is extendable. He also has the most comboable super in the game, which I will discuss below. Is he overplayed? HELL yes. In fact, if you’re playing someone new, you’d better expect to play Ken or Akuma. But hey, look at the bright side, at least they aren’t turtling with Chun….yet…

Super Art I – Shoryu-reppa
Ken does the super he’s had since Super Turbo, 3 dragon punches in a row. I never use this super, and I rarely see people use this super, so I can’t really comment on it. Not that great.

Super Art II – Shinryuken
A really fun super with a lot of power. Also in Alpha and MvC2, Ken does a dragon punch straight up. This one doesn’t “vaccum” you up like in other games, so you have to be right up next to the opponent to hit him with it, which can be difficult. It is comboable, and does good damage for its bar. If you have full meter, your opponent just can’t jump in since it’s not really parriable (you press the buttons rapidly to get as many hits as possible, if they start parrying, just slow down and the timing change will **** up the parrying), so it’s really great to shut down jump happy players. However, it has so little reach that it lowers its use. Also, Ken has great EX moves and since it only has one stock, it makes this super choice #2.

Super Art III – Shippu Jinrai Kyaku
First off, its bar is short so you can build them up fast. 3 stocks so you have plenty of meter for EX moves. And it comes out really fast and can be used as a wakeup. And it does have vaccum properties so it can suck in a character who might think he’s at a safe distance. But what really makes this super good is that…well, it can pretty much combo into anything. Name a move Ken has, and there’s probably a 70% chance of it being cancelable into Shippu. Basically, getting hit by Ken means this super is coming right after the hit (if they can hit confirm well). One of the best supers in the game.

Makoto
makoto.jpg

Tier : Upper/Top (random) Tier
Quote : ”It hurts twice as much when you know that it was your fault!”

Makoto has a fighting style on her own, a unique one for the series. For the few years when 3rd Strike was released in Japan, she was considered low tier. It’s amazing how much is unknown about a character until thousands upon thousands of people figure the character out. Now she’s considered ALMOST top tier (not quite but almost). Why is she so great? Well she does great stun, and a lot of damage, but the main reason is the karakusa, where Makoto grabs you and does a bit of damage, but stuns the opponent for a split second to allow for another hit. It’s possible to combo from karakusa into the SAII, which makes Makoto become a beast. Her SAI ain’t too shabby either. Makoto is just a fun character to learn.

Super Art I – Seichusen Godanzuki
Makoto punches you a few times then sends you flying. This move has great startup, good vacuum properties and does a lot of damage. I’m talking a good 30-40%. Its also very stylish with Makoto saying….something. Only one bar, so blah blah, EX, blah blah, you get the point. Also because Makoto poses after getting the last hit of this super, you don’t have the opportunity to put pressure on your opponent on wakeup which is an important part of the game. You can hit the super after a karakusa but it scales back the damage 25% or so. Still, a great super that can turn the momentum of a round in a flash.

Super Art II – Abare To Sanami
I could be wrong, but I bet when Capcom released the game, they thought this move was uncomboable. I mean the bar is not too long and not only does the move do monster damage, you can combo it for more monster damage. There’s even a 100% stun combo you can do after it if you can pull off the kara move (kara is when you cancel a normal move within the first few frames into another move to improve that moves range, karathrows are an important part of 3rd Strike). But it is comboable after an fp if you’re in the right position (Makoto will have to be close to the corner for it to combo). If you karakusa someone in the right position from the beginning of the round, it’s almost over already. Sure, it’s only comboable within one half of the screen, but when the opportunity knocks, she knocks ****ing hard. 2 stocks for EX moves, which is good cause if you’re too far to combo the SAII, you can still do a fp -> EX hayate that does good damage/stun and a knockdown.

Super Art III – Tanden Renki
UNBLOCKABLE! Not the move, but Makoto when she activates this super. Yes, all of Makoto’s moves do MASSIVE damage for a period of time, but she can’t block during that period, which pretty much makes this move pointless to use unless you’re just messing around with the game. You can parry, but parrying isn’t easy. One thing I love about it is that the last hit does the huge “KO!!!” fanfare, so on the last hit I hit with the karakusa. She grabs…slloooowly brings you up into the air…. BAM KO WHOOOOO….slloooowly brings you back down, and you keel over.

EDIT - with some experience, I've learned that the trick to this super, is obviously, not to let your opponent attack. If you know Makoto's pressure techniques, against certain characters (like Hugo), this super is quite useable.

(other half on next post)

LakeEarth

Necro
necro-effy.jpg

Quote : ”Sorry I’m late…”

Necro is a mix between Dhalsim and Blanka (more Dhalsim). He stretches, he bends, he’s ****ing plasticman. And a lot of his moves are slow activating, but some of them are damn fast too. Necro juggles great. In the corner (with the help of Electric Snake though it isn’t required) he can go nuts and juggle you until the 6 hit juggle limit is reached. Against Hugo, Alex and Urien in fact, he can hit them 6 times in a row with his db+FP move. 6 times! Massive damage and stun. Necro has a lot of good stunning moves, so trying to stun is important to his game. His drill kicks are important to his game too. He takes some getting used to, but once you do Necro can be a powerful little freak.

Super Art I – Magnetic Storm
Necro becomes a lightbulb, basically. Fast and pretty powerful, this is the super most use when they are just starting up learning Necro. It has vacuum properties too which helps. Problem is it causes no stun at all, and it’s not very consistant (you might get 13 hits, or sometimes they just bounce off, its kinda strange). It’s a good super.

Super Art II – Slam Dance
The only throw super that doesn’t require a circle motion, Slam Dance is pretty damn powerful and has good priority. It doesn’t have much range though, so you have to be right up next to the guy to get it to work. There’s a lot of good corner setups you can use to get the super on (drill kick crossovers, etc). Comboing the super will lead to such damage reduction there's no point, so it’s mainly used as a punishment tool. Does little stun too.

Super Art III – Electric Snake
The first time you do this super, you think “wow this thing is weak”. Then when you finally look at the stunbar you realize why. This super isn’t damaging, but it is very comboable and best of all, causes huge stun. What REALLY makes this move powerful though, is that if you do it in the corner, you can juggle your opponent, adding more damage and more importantly, more stun to the combo. If the Electric Snake stunned, then you can do even more juggle damage since its easier to juggle a stunned airborne opponent. A really great super.

Oro
oro.jpg

Quote : ”Your moves are deadly... They could kill me by boring me to death!”

Oro is so old that he looks like he’s already dead, and he is so powerful that he only fights with one hand. The other one is in a sling to make the fight fair. The sling seems to be magical, since it seems to switch arms depending on the way he’s facing (mirrored sprites for the win!). He has a record breaking 6 supers in this game, the main three, and ‘EX’d supers which use both hands. Oro has great pokes, has the best dash in the game (time it right and it’ll go under normal fireballs), and he has an infinite, though it isn’t easy. Oro is short, so he can get under moves most others can’t, and it’s good to take advantage of that. He can double jump, which is great for completely messing up your opponents thought process.

Super Art I – Kishin Riki
Definitely one of the cooler looking supers in the game. For the normal version of this move, Oro will charge up with about 8 seconds counting down, and during that time the punch button will involve an unblockable grab that will have Oro start slamming you every which way 7 times. It also works in the air. Best part is that if you're lucky, you might get this move on your opponent twice, and three times IS possible though unlikely. Good power, but if you're opponent runs away from you, the move is useless, which causes problems. Its a fun super though. The EX version is a grab where Oro becomes completely invulnerable, jumps forward and grabs his opponent, rocketing him up out of the screen along with Oro, and like a meteor Oro comes down with his head in his opponents gut. Sick looking move, and it does good damage. You can’t really combo it (when I say "really" I mean you can, but it's not really reliable in a match) so it's more of a random "I hope he screws up" super.

Super Art II – Yagyou Dama
At first glance, you would think this is the worst super in the game. Oro sends out a green ball, it slowly comes out (leaving Oro defenseless for a second), slowly floats across the screen and just kinda fizzles out when it hits the ground. Does crap damage too. Why is this one of the more powerful supers in the game? It's a juggler. Activating this after Oro's close mp/chicken combo will have your opponent falling onto it, hitting it and then falling down (while the ball still slowly floats). Oro jumps to the other side, so by the time your opponent gets up, Oro's on one side, the ball is on the other. The opponent is now in an unblockable situation and is completely screwed. Since Oro's chicken combo makes so much meter, he can keep this going on and on until you're dead making this one of the only infinites in the game. The EX version is visually awesome, Oro sends out a gigantic fireball which takes up 4/5th of the screen and hits hard as hell. Problem is that it is easy to see coming so chances are your opponent will block or parry it. Fun to throw out for the hell of it though.

Super Art III – Tengu Stone
Oro summons rubble to surround him and his attacks, so that each of his punches will hit extra hard. The normal version lasts about 8 seconds and brings out three pieces, which will make each hit stronger but the hits don't juggle very much. What makes this version of the super powerful is that it does mad chip damage. If your opponent blocks everything you throw at him for the 8 seconds the super will still knock 15-20% of his health. Great if your opponent is in the corner. The EX version lasts for only 3 seconds or so, but it sends out 5 pieces, and every hit juggles. Oro can do massive 35+ hit combos using this super if you launch them first. It’s not even that hard, especially in the corner. Launch (2 hits), activate EX SA3, and then just spam roundhouse kick again and again (though you can get fancy for more damage). Then once it ends, you can still chicken combo the juggle for a bit more damage. Even without the juggle it still does massive chip damage and is safer from counter attack compared to the normal version. I enjoy this super the most.

Q
q.jpg

Tier : Bottom Tier
Quote : ”............. (War)”

Q stands for ? So yes, he’s a “mystery”. And his ending doesn’t explain anything either. Don’t you just love the plot of SF3? If you said “what plot”, pat yourself on the back. Annnyways, Q is a pretty tough character to master. He’s really slow, his moves that are really slow, has one of the worst dashes in the game, and has really crappy pokes. He also has low priority too. What makes Q a force to be reckoned with? His taunt. No really. It’s quick, and if Q does 3, he has 60% more health for the rest of that round. You’re a tank, and even the strongest supers don’t do too much. He also has really strong supers, and his dash punches do give him some good options. He takes work, but he can be a force. Kuroda, a really good Japanese Q player once took down two excellent US players using Ken and Chun. Just another example of how 3rd Strike is more about players than characters.

Super Art I – Critical Combo Attack
Q hits his opponents with 5 very strong hits. Powerful, fast, and even faster if you miss it, allowing Q to recover quickly. Hit confirmable off a few of his moves, this super does its job well. After the last hit you have enough time to get a taunt in or two. Good for EX moves too, although Q’s EXs aren’t THAT great (though they aren’t useless).

Super Art II – Deadly Double Combo
Two DEVISTATING hits, this is one powerful super. You can even extend the hit by timing a FP dashpunch to hit his opponent as he comes down, or get in 2 taunts. Either way, this super rocks. It isn’t that easy to hit though, except off of a dashpunch. It can be used as a really deep antiair which can really hurt Yun and Yang’s game.

Super Art III – Total Destruction
This move is like Oro’s SAI, where Q charges up and has to “grab” his opponent before his charge runs out. Why is this super worse than Oro’s SAI? There is actually two different attacks you can do, and both just aren’t as good. One is blockable but far reaching and pretty quick, and one that’s unblockable but slow and you can see it coming (mainly because the game goes DANGER!! when you try to use it). Oro’s is quick and unblockable, and you can try and get it again while it’s over for Q if you hit it. So this super is kinda crappy, but it looks really cool though and does huge damage, so its fun to pick sometimes.

Remy
remy.jpg

Tier : Lower Tier (an experts character)
Quote : ”Why am I here, anyway?” (I wish Capcom was always this honest)

Remy gets a bad rep. Mainly because he's a flaming metrosexual, but I'm not holding that against him. Remy plays like a mix between Guile and Sagat. He can throw 'sonic booms' high and low, and you don't have to charge nearly as long to throw them out. He also has a flash kick like Guile's which does good damage. He also has a move Guile wish he had, a forward dash kick that works great for mobility and mixup. Remy's main advantage is his defense. No not his health, that's almost as bad as Akuma's. And his stun bar is extremely short too. What makes Remy so well defended is that he is a master of spacing. Using his good dash, great pokes, two different versions of the EX projectiles, etc etc, he can play the best game of "keep away" ever. Remy is a real 'for professionals' player. Not that a new player can't use him, but his real power comes from charge partitioning (where charge for half a second, wait, then charging some more, used to hide charging and let out projectiles or flash kicks your opponent would never expect to come out) which takes a lot of practice to learn and even more for it to become second nature. It's a tough skill to master, but if you do, you can really kick ass with Remy (as well as Urien, and to a lesser extent Alex and Oro).

Super Art I – Light of Justice
Remy sends out a flurry of projectiles all at once. This super does blah damage, but its not too long of a bar and is comboable. You can do it twice in a row in the corner I believe, they'll all connect though the damage will be shit due to the damage scaling for combos. It's a decent super, nothing special though.

Super Art II – Super Rising Rage Flash (yeesh)
Remy does a triple flash kicks. His best super, it is fast, hit confirmable and does decent damage, but not for the length of the bar it isn't. Its actually kind of blah damage-wise considering the length of the bar, but it has two stocks, which means tons of EXs which is a requirement for Remy. You have to keep up EX projectile pressure on your opponent so what makes the super good is the amount of meter it stores. Use the actual super when the opportunity arises, of course, but don't base your Remy game trying to land it.

Super Art III – Blue Nocturne
This super does the most damage. It's also his worst super, maybe even the worst super in the game. Remy raises his leg, and for the next 3 seconds if Remy gets hit by anything not a projectile, he will parry it and counter with a crazy combo which does a lot of damage. Problem is that its really easy to see coming, I mean there's a giant super flash to tell you "don't attack!", so unless he has the reaction time of a god and can see you do a lagging move that you can't cancel, he'll have to get lucky to get this super going. Also if it activates with the opponent in the air, the combo juggles and does a pathetic fraction of its ground power. Never use, especially against someone with a throw super or any version of Ryu since all of his supers counter it.

Ryu
ryu.jpg

Quote : ”A defeat learned from is more important than an empty victory.”

AKA Mr. Street Fighter, Ryu has been in every Street Fighter game (excluding StreetFighter 2010). He hits hard. Really hard. Some of his combos do more damage than some supers, and they do lots of stun too. New to his arsenal is a sidekick that comes out kinda slow, but does a lot of damage. The EX version of that move combos and juggles to cause real massive damage. All of his EXs are really good and should be abused. His EX fireball goes extremely fast and is his best poke. The others are great too. Unlike everyone else in the game, all 3 of Ryu’s supers are good in their own way, and the way you play Ryu changes depending on which you pick. Even though most do, you probably shouldn’t play him exactly like Ken. Most of his moves are slower, especially his pokes, none of his moves don’t move him forward unlike Ken, etc etc. I mean you can play the same way, but if you would, just pick Ken. Ryu takes a little more care, looking for openings and punishing big. (disclaimer: this is my opinion and others may disagree)

Super Art I – Shinkuu Hadouken
A huge ass fireball. It’s decently comboable and you can use it to juggle well too, especially in the corner, but it is weak for the bar you need to fill up to use it. This is still the most used super since it stores so much EX’s, and since some of Ryu’s combos are as powerful as a super, that’s just as good.

Super Art II – Shin Shoryuken
One of the most damaging super in the game, Ryu does the “true” dragon punch, what it really is supposed to look like at full power. You can even extend it by hitting your opponent as he comes down, just to make it even more powerful. Comboable too, and has the ability to “suck” someone in even if the super only hit a limb (it’s almost comical when it happens to Necro halfway across the screen). Very long superbar, so you will only get the chance to use this super once per round, and that’s if you’re lucky. And if you miss it, you miss big. Like Hugo’s Gigas, the fact that you have the full bar makes your opponent fear you and change their strategy, which you can use to your advantage.

Super Art III – Denjin Hadouken
Unblockable fireball. You must parry or avoid this ball or else it will hurt you. Ryu charges the fireball up to a certain strength and if it hits, it will increase his opponents stun about 20% per ball strength (so if you charge it up to level 5 strength, it’ll stun anyone). Now a lot of people say this super sucks because “it’s parriable”, but of course it is when some newbies send the fireball from halfway across the screen. The trick is to confuse your opponent so he has NO idea when you’re going to throw it. Or you can throw a normal fireball first to screw up their timing on parrying, or if they block, force them to red parry. This super is very underrated.

Sean
sean-ken.jpg

Quote : ”Wow! That actually worked! Next time I'll do it with skill!”

Sean is just like Ryu and Ken, except useless! Well okay, he’s not that bad, but he’s one of the worst characters in the game. One of his special moves is punishable even if it hits, I mean what the hell is that! :lol Anyways, his normals are alright and he can punish pretty well, but his special moves (I don’t mean super moves) just aren’t that great and he has no priority. His taunt (throws a basketball at you) is useful though as a mix-up though, use it because Sean needs every advantage he can get. And to think Sean was near top tier in SF3 : Second Impact. Thankfully, Sean’s supers are good, which at least gives him some ability. Of course, none of this applies to pink Sean. He’s top tier. :lol

Super Art I – Hadou Burst
Look! Sean has a fireball, Sean has a fireball!!! The most parriable super in the game (its parried like a normal fireball), Sean throws a fireball which goes extremely fast and does crummy damage, but the bar is short so it's not so bad. It's very comboable which is helpful. The bar is short so you almost always have this super ready to go, which is good because Sean usually doesn't have a good follow-up move to use after, say a far d.mk or something.

Super Art II – ShoryuCannon
Sean has a dragonpunch! Sean hits once with a normal dragon punch, then hits again with a much stronger multi-hitting one. This move does good damage and is hit confirmable. It also works as a good antiair, and has a quick startup, so it can be used as a surprise. You can store two stocks of this one which is good. In the corner you can actually connect this move twice in a row (super ->fk -> super), so if you need to put someone away, that'd be a stylish way of doing it. I'd say this is Sean's super of choice.

Super Art III – Hyper Tornado
Sean dashes forward and just starts killing his opponent with every move in his arsenal. This move is strong, like Ryu SAII strong. The bar is also as long, so Sean will only be using this special once or twice. And just like Ryu's SAII, if you miss it, you miss BIG. Use it wisely.

Twelve
12.jpg

Quote : ” 01011.01111 [KO]”

You wanna know who's hard to use? Twelve. Twelve is supposed to be a heavily airborne character, as he is the only character to have an airdash, which he can use to his advantage. So why do I consider him the worst character in the game? He is insanely weak. Like "what the hell was Capcom thinking" weak. He has almost no moves that'll take off any significant amount of life without using supers, he has some crappy pokes, a lot of his specials have slow startup, his supers are nothing special and he has Remy level of health, which means not much. To work with Twelve you have to overwhelm his opponent, and use the air to the best of your ability. Because with Twelve, every battle is an uphill battle. Is he useless? No, I've lost to some excellent Twelve players, and apparently there's some Japanese guy who uses him amazingly. I just don't like him. It is funny how he can walk under fireballs though.

Super Art I – X.N.D.L.
Twelve puts his hand in the ground and causes his spiked hands to come from the ground and tear through you. This move is decent, as it can be linked/cancelled into, though none of them are as simple as most characters 'd.mk ->super'. It doesn't do much damage and the startup isn’t that quick. At least you get two stocks and can use them for Twelve's EXs, which are useful but not that great either.

Super Art II – X.F.L.A.T.
Whoa!! Twelve diiiiiiiivesss in and starts raping the crap out of you, takes the shape of a bird and starts slamming you in the air in a ton of different directions! Wow, Twelve has a move that does tons of damage and looks incredible...but wait, it is near impossible to combo, which means it is easily blocked. You have to activate it in the air, which lowers its usability. It would be a great special to hit someone in the air with, but it does like 1/3rd the damage if you hit him in the air with it. It's only comboable by a standing mk, superjump cancel into the super. Really really hard to do, but the best way to pull it off is to do a 540 (spin the stick from down to forward, hit mk, continue spinning it up to activate the superjump, and all the way around to do the second down to forward motion - kick to activate the special). Visually awesome, but just not reliable at all.

Super Art III – X.C.O.P.Y.
Twelve becomes...who you are! Only 20% or so stronger and has a really goofy voice. What makes this super useful is to turn into characters with really high strength or low stamina. For example, this move is great to use against Akuma, because Twelve has better defense as Akuma, and now has his advantages. Its fun to copy Gill as well, since he's so insanely overpowered. The problem with this super is that you can't use any of their supers while you're them, which makes copying Chun or Yun, heavily super-dependant characters, kinda useless to pick. Plus characters with high health will still have a major advantage over Twelve since his health sucks. And the bar is huge so it’ll take a while to fill. But I love this super because Twelve will say what the character says, only in a weird distorted voice. "KwNwEwEwLwBwEwFwOwRwEwYwOwUwRwMwAwSwTwEwRw!" :lol

Urien
urient.jpg
(small pic selected to protect you from Urien’s thong sporting ass)
Quote : ”Tremble before my might!”

AKA, the Thonged Warrior. Let this out right away, Urien is not my guy. He’s next on the list of characters to learn, I swear. Urien seems to be made of “stone” or something, since when he blocks a move, there is a kind of “clunk” sound effect, and yeah he has great amounts of health. If you know how to charge partition, Urien becomes an artform. The amount of insane, seemingly impossible combos you can do with him are endless with the perfection of charge partitioning. What really makes Urien near top tier though, is his third super. The other two aren’t bad, just the third one is just one of the best. Though “getting your opponent in the corner” is something every character can do, it is extremely important for Urien. The juggles that can be done in the corner are major, and really lets you beast with him. I just wish he didn’t fight wearing a thong for godsake.

Super Art I – Tyrant Slaughter
Urien rushes you with clothesline after clothesline. A powerful move, though not the greatest one of the bunch. It is cancelable so it’s workable, but the Aegis Reflector is just too good to not use. This one’s alright if you’re new and like just randomly shooting out a super.

Super Art II – Temporal Thunder
Look, Urien has a super-fireball too. This one loads up really slow, but it completely protects Urien when it’s building up being very tall, and as it shoots out it slowly becomes skinnier and skinnier. This special doesn’t do much in the ways of damage, but it does a very nice bit of stun so it can be pretty useful. Against characters with short stunbars (Remy, Twelve, and especially Akuma cause he can teleport out of unblockable traps), this is a good super to pick. There's even a 100% stun combo against them (j.hp -> c.hp -> ex headbutt -> tackle -> SAII).

Super Art III – Aegis Reflector
This right here is one of the best supers in the game. It makes Urien the threat he is. Urien shoots out a ‘plate’ of energy that just floats over a spot (though it moves a little) and disappears after five seconds or so. It doesn’t do much damage either. The thing that makes this super so powerful is the fact that it just “floats” there. This allows for setups for where the super is hitting one way, while Urien is on the other. Unblockable time! And they’re very flexible too. There are a ton of tricks, set ups and strategies to constantly get good damage from this super and just destroy. That’s what makes this super so powerful. Consistency. If you do the setup and don’t mess up, you get damage. You just have to get into the situation to do it, which takes practice, but master Urien, and you can do insane things with him.

Yang
yang.jpg

Quote : ”Each wound is punishment for your careless training.”

Yang is one of those small, quick types that win by hitting fast and numerous times. His slashes are powerful, and his EX slashes are even better and put lots of pressure onto his opponent. He doesn’t have a whole lot of health though, so try not to get hit… yeah I don’t have much to say about him, but he’s a solid player that is pretty easy to learn. His supers are weak though, so most Yang players pick the special that gives the most EXs, since his EX slashes are essential to his game.

Super Art I – Raishin Mahhaken
Yang hits hard in this super, but the move isn't very useful. It has some very slow startup that makes this move hard to use. It has some invulnerability frames so it can work as a random super of after a red parry but otherwise it’s not very good. Only one stock, which isn't good for an EX reliant character like Yang.

Super Art II – Tenshin Senkyuu Tai
This is Yang's super of choice, but it has nothing to do with the super itself. The super itself isn't too bad, just really weak for its bar size. It will go under most fireballs and can combo off of his mp -> fp -> b.fp combo, so its pretty useable, but it just doesn't do much damage. But it stores two stocks which means plenty of meter for his EX slashes.

Super Art III – Sei’ei Enbu
Yang creates a shadow that'll mimic every move he does for a few seconds. This super isn't nearly as useful as Yun's similar super, but its not horrible. Basically, everything you do hits twice, but only does 50% more damage or so (I'm not sure on the exact number). What makes this special useable is that the bar to fill is insanely short. You'll be able to activate it every couple of seconds which keeps pressure on your opponent, so it isn't too bad. Meter for only 1 ex move at a time so that hurts it. There is also a bug in the Xbox Live version of the game, where activating this special causes a desync error, so most don't choose this super online.

Yun
yun.jpg

Tier : Top Tier
Quote : http://yunsnap.ytmnd.com/

For being considered the best character in the game in most tier lists, Yun actually isn't all that great without his SA3. I mean he wouldn't be bottom tier, but without the Genei-Jin, Yun wouldn't be the monster he is (but say Ken didn't have his SAIII, he'd still be powerful as hell). This isn’t to say he's useless. He has many good normals and specials, and he's really quick too. Plus he has dive kicks just like Yang, which are great to use to mix-up and keep your opponent under pressure. He's fast and he does decent damage, but he also has kinda crappy health, the same as Yang's, and his small stature makes his reach a little too short. But when he activates his Genei-Jin super, prepare to face a monster for about 6 seconds. And 10 seconds later, when Yun fills that tiny super bar again, you'll have to face him again. And again. And again.

Super Art I – You Hou
This super does some pretty strong damage, and you can extend it after by juggling your opponent before he hits the ground, which is pretty easy to do. This super is comboable after his bread & butter combo (lp -> lk -> mp -> lp backattack move), so it is can be used decently. It's a long bar though, so it is necessary to not mess it up, and if it's blocked, the opponent will have all the time in the world to hit you back hard, which Yun's health can't afford.

Super Art II – Sourai Rengeki
This super is quick and comboable, and the bar isn't that long either. It has three stocks, storing the most meter for EX moves in the entire game, but Yun's EX moves aren't really that important other than at wakeup, so that's kinda pointless. It doesn't do too much damage but it doesn't do bad damage either. This super isn't that bad at all, and if you don't know how to take advantage of Genei-Jin then this is the super I'd suggest.

Super Art III – Genei Jin
The best super in the game. Yes I bitched about Chun's super a lot, but that was mainly because it takes so little effort to make it effective. This one takes some practice to get good, but once you do, you are at a huge advantage. I don't believe Capcom realized how much you could do with this super. The bar for this super is so short that Yun will almost always have this super ready to go, yet a real good corner juggle using this super can do nearly as much damage as a hyperbomb or a shinshoryuken (which have enormous bars that take an entire round to fill up). Yun charges up for about 6 seconds or so, and nearly every hit he does while his opponent is in the air will juggle. Professional 3rd Strike players can combo into this special, get his opponent in the air and never let him down until 30-40% of his health is gone. Worst yet, when the super is over you can still juggle for 3 more hits using Yun's juggling normals, which doesn't just mean more damage, but that he's already filled half of that tiny bar for another Genei-Jin! This super is too damned good. Yun would be nothing without it.

And that’s it, I’m done. What a waste of time.

evil ways

Third Strike has awesome gameplay and animation, now if only the new characters weren't so freaking boring, lame and uninspiring.

LakeEarth

SaitoH

Great stuff. Easily the best 2D fighter on the market. In fact, I was just playing this afternoon.

<==Alex, Q player.

rastex

Banned
Holy crap dude. I take a couple months away and you turn into an SF3 beast. Maybe it's time to dust off the arcade stick and get taught some lessons.

Bob White

Damn it, what the hell would YOU wear to a fight?! A long coat, some cool cape? BAH! Urien is a man! A fighter! What he wears is what a FIGHTER wears! ALMOST NOTHING! He fights a fight that all men are supposed to fight. A battle of skin againts skin and bone against bone. Two people ripping into each other with their bodies. A true fight. And since being naked while fighting gets things all flopping about, he just put a peice over his junk and went about his BUSINESS.

Urien's thong >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fighting 'gear'

Anyanka

I've liked III since New Generation, but only casually. I was much more into ST and then Hyper when AC came out. It was recently that I was playing 3S just out of bordem that I discovered just how great it was. I'm hooked now, I'm actually starting to think it may just be the best 2D fighter. Everything about it is great. I love the characters, how smooth it feels, the SA system and the EX moves. I just wish I could parry better and had faster reflexes. I love reading about the game but I'll never be any good.

Twins, Alex and Remy are my characters.

Yang is fun, I like teleporting around and the slashes. Yun just looks cool and GJ is too much fun to play with. I've been spending a lot of time in training just messing with it, juggling the dummy around. Haunts tip on adding the shoulder before activating GJ after lp, lk, mp has really helped.

I like how Alex has the grapples, but doesn't play like Zangief or Hugo. I just wish I knew of another combo besides the standing mk stuff and what's with the DDT and the non-EX jumping knee? I occasionally use the DDT as a surprise on someone getting up but other than that it seems crappy.

I've never liked playing or fighting Guile, but for some reason Remy is fun. Cold Blue Kick and the low LOVs make him more interesting, I think. It's just fun to spam tons of Lovs and EX lovs.

LakeEarth

rastex said:
Holy crap dude. I take a couple months away and you turn into an SF3 beast. Maybe it's time to dust off the arcade stick and get taught some lessons.
I've improved, I'm not a beast. I think you'd still give me a run for my money. I just study a lot, that's what I'm good at.

Jagernaut

I really like SF3 Third Strike overall, but the character roster keeps it from being my favorite 2d fighter. I hate Necro, Twelve, and Q, and don't like Oro much. My favorite characters are Ken, Ryu, Dudley, Makoto, and Urien. Garou (Mark of the Wolves) has a better roster, i like all the characters.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
OK, I'm not going to go to gamefaqs or SRK to try and research it myself, and I want to ask here because I know someone on this board has done it:

How do you finish the game with MSF rank?

Back when I actually played this game, the best I could do was an A+ with Chuns.

I'd seriously like to know how you're supposed to rank well from the fights.

D-X

As with every SF game great artwork. But I don't recall seeing it in the Eternal Challenge artbook, was it produced to promote the Xbox version or is it fan stuff (Ryu's ears are way too big)?

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Where are some good places to pick up 3rd strike match vids/tourney footage? I used to go to gamecombos.com way back in the day, but they seem barely alive now, and they focus on trick movies anyway.

Anyanka said:
I like how Alex has the grapples, but doesn't play like Zangief or Hugo. I just wish I knew of another combo besides the standing mk stuff and what's with the DDT and the non-EX jumping knee? I occasionally use the DDT as a surprise on someone getting up but other than that it seems crappy.
You can combo with the knee grab if you do 1 hit of c.fp. (when they're in the air)

D-X said:
As with every SF game great artwork. But I don't recall seeing it in the Eternal Challenge artbook, was it produced to promote the Xbox version or is it fan stuff (Ryu's ears are way too big)?
It's Falcoon artwork.

LakeEarth

"How do you finish the game with MSF rank?"

Dunno, but I've done SS with Gill once. You basically gotta know what the grading system is looking for and do them all. I have never gotten an MSF before.

"Where are some good places to pick up 3rd strike match vids/tourney footage? I used to go to gamecombos.com way back in the day, but they seem barely alive now, and they focus on trick movies anyway."

Combovideos.com, though you have to sign up.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
3rd Strike is easily my favorite game this generation. It's my most played DC game, most played PS2 game, and most played Xbox game!

I really hope 3rd strike is one of the few Xbox1 games to work on X360 at launch, although I'm not holding out much hope.

MutFox

Banned
I saw this wicked video of some Japanese player taking on Justin Wong's Chun-Li with Q,
and WINNING!!
I'll try and find it, it's really funny.
Justin actually get's pissed cause the Q player doesn't even try. :lol

And I saw this other video of a Hugo player defeating KO with Hugo.
Holy crap, Hugo is like the BEST character!

mrkgoo

SF3 for DS please. If it comes to PSP, that's it - I'm there.

My favourite 2D fighter (not counting SSB). I'm actually rather useless, but it's fun any way. I have both games (Double impact, third stirke) for DC, but the controller is less than the best for this game. I need a SNES pad or some such. I also love SF2, and have been tempted by the GBA version - however, it doesn't have 6 buttons :(

Nick

The fanboy-ism is in full effect in this post, but I guess it's a good read. You need to re-think your tier system, however. It almost looks like you made it up, when I have hard facts that state some of the characters you consider "useless" are quite beefy upon being played at a hard level.

Anyanka

dot-Nick said:
It almost looks like you made it up, when I have hard facts that state some of the characters you consider "useless" are quite beefy upon being played at a hard level.

He didn't say anyone was useless, even Twelve and Sean and pretty much everyone agrees they are the weakest. Low tier doesn't mean they are useless, he even provided some examples of lower tiered characters beating the best.

Who do you think is the best?

miyuru

dot-Nick said:
The fanboy-ism is in full effect in this post, but I guess it's a good read. You need to re-think your tier system, however. It almost looks like you made it up, when I have hard facts that state some of the characters you consider "useless" are quite beefy upon being played at a hard level.

Yeah, I agree.

Awesome post, but your tiers are really fucked in some cases.

LakeEarth

dot-Nick said:
Yeah the tiers are more a mix of some tiers I've seen online, what characters I see place in tournaments, and my own personal experiences, and was pretty harsh on 12. I don't consider any character "useless", maybe some supers though. Again, I'm not a 'professional' in any ways, I was just blabbing about my favourite game. I know some of the things I say are "wrong". But I think my tiers are pretty much what most tiers say, though 3rd Strike tiers are probably the most arguable of all fighting games (KO says Yang is top tier, Pyrolee says Makoto is top tier, etc etc). Every character is good if you can utilize them best.

What character do you think I'm DEAD wrong at though? Anyone I wasn't quite sure I'd but "lower-middle" or something cause I wasn't quite sure.

And MutFox, both those videos are at combovideos.com. The best part is when the Hugo red parries Yun's 2 hit air punch and Gigas.

LakeEarth

miyuru said:
Ken, Chun Li, Urien, Yun, Oro.
Oro? Really? I mean he's good, he can do some great stuff and I love the little fucker, but I have never seen someone place high playing Oro before. At least the tourneys I've seen.

Akuma killed ryu???in which version???i know the story of Street Fighter universe isnt actually hole proof but i dont remember reading or hearing this....

Teknopathetic said:
Ryu and Ken's Master. Ryu and ken had the same master.

woops my mistake, anyway the only flaw this game has is the character roster.......there are some boring characters.....

G-Fex

Best SF ever, I've meet some of my favorite characters with this game. I use Yun, Ken, Yang, Remy, Necro, and now Mokoto.

Love those pictures by Falcoon by the way. he also does KOF art.

I just bought the us ps2 edition so I don't have to switch out my import ps2. SF3 is Godly...its just one of the very best games ever made. I hated it at first, but it really does a good job of recapturing why I loved SF II and SF CE. The characters grow on you. Dudley and Hugo for lyfe.

Shouta

I really wish they had kept the 2I iterations of Ibuki and Yang so that both are much more competitive but they were extremely potent in 2I and who knows how it would've worked out in 3s. Dudley got a good change though, 2I was a total "wtf" game for him.

I'm not gonna fully comment on the tier stuff but I will say that Yang needs to be lower and Q needs to be a bit higher.

Nick

LakeEarth said:
Yeah the tiers are more a mix of some tiers I've seen online, what characters I see place in tournaments, and my own personal experiences, and was pretty harsh on 12. I don't consider any character "useless", maybe some supers though. Again, I'm not a 'professional' in any ways, I was just blabbing about my favourite game. I know some of the things I say are "wrong". But I think my tiers are pretty much what most tiers say, though 3rd Strike tiers are probably the most arguable of all fighting games (KO says Yang is top tier, Pyrolee says Makoto is top tier, etc etc). Every character is good if you can utilize them best.

What character do you think I'm DEAD wrong at though? Anyone I wasn't quite sure I'd but "lower-middle" or something cause I wasn't quite sure.
Maybe I was being a tad draumatic (the internet LOL's) but some of the Q comments were a little hasty. He is *actually* a really great turtle, and I've seen some really impressive Japanese Q players in '04. I'll look it up.

Also, Twelve is pretty beefy. Every time I've seen him at a competetive level (I've been to every major US Street Fighter tournament in the last 10 years) it's always been "gameplay over theory" stuff. Stuff you would consider useless and/or hard to recover from is actually meant to baiting tactics.

The Chun-Li back+fierce comment was a little lame. Yes, Chun-Li is the best player in the game. Yes, the bitch is played a lot. Deal. This is the fighting genre in a nut shell. If ya hate her, beat her ass in the game. :p Her back+fierce isn't really all that great these days. Most Chun-Li's I see in '05 are rarely relying on such a scrubby tactic to irk out a win. If anything, I see her st.strong to beat out any type of "reaction" hit that she could potentially land if the opponent is properly baited.

Once again, just saying it was a fun read overall, but if you're such a "Super OMG 3rd Strike player or bust." fiend like you say you are, you should know some of the comments you made were a little random. :) I'm not a competetive 3S player, but I know the game very well. CvS2 for life.

Shouta

Mostly priority and hit properties as I recall. His Tourouzan (QCF+Px3) had different animation and hit properties and was much more effective in 2I than 3S.

LakeEarth

dot-Nick said:
Maybe I was being a tad draumatic (the internet LOL's) but some of the Q comments were a little hasty. He is *actually* a really great turtle, and I've seen some really impressive Japanese Q players in '04. I'll look it up.

Also, Twelve is pretty beefy. Every time I've seen him at a competetive level (I've been to every major US Street Fighter tournament in the last 10 years) it's always been "gameplay over theory" stuff. Stuff you would consider useless and/or hard to recover from is actually meant to baiting tactics.

The Chun-Li back+fierce comment was a little lame. Yes, Chun-Li is the best player in the game. Yes, the bitch is played a lot. Deal. This is the fighting genre in a nut shell. If ya hate her, beat her ass in the game. :p Her back+fierce isn't really all that great these days. Most Chun-Li's I see in '05 are rarely relying on such a scrubby tactic to irk out a win. If anything, I see her st.strong to beat out any type of "reaction" hit that she could potentially land if the opponent is properly baited.

Once again, just saying it was a fun read overall, but if you're such a "Super OMG 3rd Strike player or bust." fiend like you say you are, you should know some of the comments you made were a little random. :) I'm not a competetive 3S player, but I know the game very well. CvS2 for life.
Fine criticisms. You try to spend a week writing something like this and not put some random comments in just to get it over with :lol

I was quick with Q cause I really don't know how to play him "right" so I just kinda glossed over him. If I knew someone who played Q, I would've asked him to write that section on him. I've seen that Kuroda vid and I know he can be used really well. Same with Twelve (I need to find a Chikyuu vid, I NEED to see his 12, he was what, got 9th in Evo?). Like I said earlier, I'm not a master or nothing, just a fan with energy to let out.

And I put Yang in the upper tier because KO, one of the best 3rd Strike players in the world, says he's top tier. I wouldn't put him there by a long shot so I put him in upper. He can be quite effective sometimes, though I agree that he's kinda too weak to be up there.

I look back at the time I spent on 1st and 2nd Strike and I so wish I had lucked into a bigger pool of SF fans. Even tournaments I'd go to would have either a teeny SF3 pool or none at all, thus I pretty much dropped playing it shortly after 2nd Strike.

That being said...

evil ways said:
Third Strike has awesome gameplay and animation, now if only the new characters weren't so freaking boring, lame and uninspiring.

exh-vid-dudley.jpg

Gutter trahsh! :D

Rorschach

Most of his moves are slower, especially his pokes, none of his moves don’t move him forward unlike Ken, etc etc. I mean you can play the same way, but if you would, just pick Ken. Ryu takes a little more care, looking for openings and punishing big. (disclaimer: this is my opinion and others may disagree)
This isn't opinion. This is fact!
Between Ken and Ryu, Ken is the offensive fighter and Ryu is the defensive fighter. Ken is plenty faster, has higher hit combos, but his individual strikes are not as powerful as Ryu's.

SF3: 3S turned Street Fighter - a game series I loved a ton before - into religion for me. It's just so well made, so polished...I literally waited for YEARS to get this game before I got XBL, because online SF was the only thing I've wanted for so long.

The best thing about the game is how much depth there is in the fighting. Like you said, it feels like the Street Fighter we've all played for a decade and change now, but it plays like the perfect evolution of the series.

Also, Sean is the shit, dammit. I love smashing fools with him. People always sleep on him, until they're getting ownt by basketball crossups all over the place. :lol

LakeEarth

Rorschach said:
This isn't opinion. This is fact!
Between Ken and Ryu, Ken is the offensive fighter and Ryu is the defensive fighter. Ken is plenty slower, has higher hit combos, but his individual strikes are not as powerful as Ryu's.
That's what I said. But someone in a previous thread disagreed with me.

I can't believe this, but I've broken all 3 of my Xbox controllers. My S pad was first to go, the wire somewhere had a break so the game was constanatly telling me that "there is no controller in the port" on and off if you wiggled it. Then I got that crapy Nuby SF:AC controller, and that quickly fucked up cause when you press left it reads down half the time. Now my last resort, my hipgear, has a faulty dpad. I can't seem to go right anymore unless I press really hard. Looks like I might as well look for an arcade stick :lol

Oh and a bit more strategy : For people who just hate beating the AI Gill, here's his big AI hole. Upon every wakeup, he will try to hit you with one of his jabs which have more priority than pretty much anything. The answer? Specials with invulnerability frames. Knock him down, and wait for him to get up (all the way up, if you activate a super before he's entirely up he'll block) and hit him with something. Any super, like Hammer Frenzy or Chuns SAI will do. It's easiest to beat the game with Ken because you can keep doing a fp dragon punch over and over on wakeup. Again and again and again until he's dead. He might parry the first hit but the other ones will get through. Here's some other AI holes he will always fall for.

When he superjumps, he tends to attack late, so he'll always get hit by a rising flash by Remy.
He almost always blocks Stungun Headbutt so abuse that
Everyone AI character has the same Necro AI hole, if they block a combo standing up, and you activate the electric snake, they won't block low and get hit by it. Stun the fucker. In general Gills AI is not designed to face Necro.

Top Bottom