• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter : 3rd Strike SUPER appreciation thread

LakeEarth said:
That's what I said. But someone in a previous thread disagreed with me.

I can't believe this, but I've broken all 3 of my Xbox controllers. My S pad was first to go, the wire somewhere had a break so the game was constanatly telling me that "there is no controller in the port" on and off if you wiggled it. Then I got that crapy Nuby SF:AC controller, and that quickly fucked up cause when you press left it reads down half the time. Now my last resort, my hipgear, has a faulty dpad. I can't seem to go right anymore unless I press really hard. Looks like I might as well look for an arcade stick :lol

Oh and a bit more strategy : For people who just hate beating the AI Gill, here's his big AI hole. Upon every wakeup, he will try to hit you with one of his jabs which have more priority than pretty much anything. The answer? Specials with invulnerability frames. Knock him down, and wait for him to get up (all the way up, if you activate a super before he's entirely up he'll block) and hit him with something. Any super, like Hammer Frenzy or Chuns SAI will do. It's easiest to beat the game with Ken because you can keep doing a fp dragon punch over and over on wakeup. Again and again and again until he's dead. He might parry the first hit but the other ones will get through. Here's some other AI holes he will always fall for.

When he superjumps, he tends to attack late, so he'll always get hit by a rising flash by Remy.
He almost always blocks Stungun Headbutt so abuse that
Everyone AI character has the same Necro AI hole, if they block a combo standing up, and you activate the electric snake, they won't block low and get hit by it. Stun the fucker. In general Gills AI is not designed to face Necro.

Apparently it can't handle Chun Li's spinning bird kick either, that's like the easiest way to beat him, which in a way frustrates me because I easily get my ass whooped with everyone else.

Monk

Banned
captmcblack said:
SF3: 3S turned Street Fighter - a game series I loved a ton before - into religion for me. It's just so well made, so polished...I literally waited for YEARS to get this game before I got XBL, because online SF was the only thing I've wanted for so long.

The best thing about the game is how much depth there is in the fighting. Like you said, it feels like the Street Fighter we've all played for a decade and change now, but it plays like the perfect evolution of the series.

Also, Sean is the shit, dammit. I love smashing fools with him. People always sleep on him, until they're getting ownt by basketball crossups all over the place. :lol

QFT Sean rocks.

Rorschach

Himuro said:
None of the characters are interesting or just fun to play with except Ken, Yun/Yang, and Makoto for me. Elaine or whatever too. Not to mention lack of single player modes (only arcade?) And I'm easily bored.

I base a quality fighter on it's fighting system (depth, fun), sprite quality, characters (are the fun to play with? is the roster balanced?), AND the single player mode because there are people like me who have NOONE to play with and the only mode these games come with is arcade.

Third Strike has only 2 of these 4 things.

SFA3...now THAT is a great fighter.
Ah...so you're the idiot they lock half characters for...OMG DEPTH AND REPLAY VALUE!

Himuro said:
None of the characters are interesting or just fun to play with except Ken, Yun/Yang, and Makoto for me. Elaine or whatever too. Not to mention lack of single player modes (only arcade?) And I'm easily bored.

I base a quality fighter on it's fighting system (depth, fun), sprite quality, characters (are the fun to play with? is the roster balanced?), AND the single player mode because there are people like me who have NOONE to play with and the only mode these games come with is arcade.

Fine you find it boring and yes, without others to play it can get boring but to say it's overrated, that's another thing entirely.

DarkGiygas said:

I'm assuming he ment to type "faster", as the post is pretty dead on. Regarding Ryu's hitting power if they had increased his speed, he would be a total monster. It kind of crazy how much damage Ryu's combos can do.

LakeEarth

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I'm assuming he ment to type "faster", as the post is pretty dead on. Regarding Ryu's hitting power if they had increased his speed, he would be a total monster. It kind of crazy how much damage Ryu's combos can do.
Yeah then you get scrubs online doing Ryu's hurricane kick as much as scrubs dragon punch with ken, cause if it hits, that's like 10% right there. Sometimes I wish the Xbox would let me see the face of the guy I'm playing, so I can see him react when I red parry the last hit -> gigas :lol

Rorschach

DarkGiygas said:

HomerSimpson-Man said:
:lol Yeah...horrible typo. You can infer what I meant by the post :p

LakeEarth

SnowWolf said:
Here's a page I found with a lot of match videos: http://www.zachd.com/mvc2/

No idea if they're high level or whatnot, I'm just a scrub :lol. Fun to watch though.
It has Chikuyu :eek:oooo Downloading now. EDIT - oh shit it's for Super Turbo, oh well.

And I found a new Gill AI hole. He will HONESTLY just walk into a normal Oro Yagyou (SAII) sometimes. Just throw one out and he'll act like it's not there.

Arggghhhhhh!!! I damn near broke my controller praticing for a kara-throw!! I just can't do it. For the past hour, I haven't had a single one executed. Gah, have my fingers slowed down that much!!

LakeEarth

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Arggghhhhhh!!! I damn near broke my controller praticing for a kara-throw!! I just can't do it. For the past hour, I haven't had a single one executed. Gah, have my fingers slowed down that much!!
Hehe, I gave up too. I think you really need a stick to be able to do those things, your fingers have to be right over the buttons ready to go quick. Just pick Ken or other characters that have no good karas.

And I'm watching that Paul vs Mopreme match, and it's the very definition of a Chun vs Chun match. Poke while building meter, then when you have meter, constantly trying to get an d.mk.

LakeEarth said:
Hehe, I gave up too. I think you really need a stick to be able to do those things, your fingers have to be right over the buttons ready to go quick. Just pick Ken or other characters that have no good karas.

I guess your right, but I'm not a stick player I'm even more clumsy and slow with them. Too many years on a gaming pad.

LakeEarth

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I guess your right, but I'm not a stick player I'm even more clumsy and slow with them. Too many years on a gaming pad.
Same here but I'm thinking get a stick and just take the losses until I'm used to it. There's just too much shit I can't do well on a pad like inconsistant EXs, 360s, my thumb doesn't have to stretch that far, etc. I think I'm gonna do ArcadeStickMonks Anniversary Collection mod, since I can't seem to find a good resonably priced american stick.

Tain

I just started with college life. With that, I just got a friend or two into Third Strike. And with that, he's getting others into it.

Yeah, I had played and enjoyed it on the DC, and the Xbox release is the greatest Live game out there, but nothing beats playing it daily in these dorm rooms.

And now? I'm utterly in love with the game. This is the greatest fighting game to be released (sorry VF4:Evo, but no), and unquestionably one of my top 3 favorite games.

Everything about this game is perfect. Obviously, you have the animation. This is the greatest-looking 2D game released. I love the new characters; some of them are works of brilliance, while others are excellent variations of the SF2 cast. You'd have to be deaf to hate the soundtrack, which is really well produced with a shitload of variety.

On top of all of that, SF3 is one of the most accessable fighting games I've played. I had an absolute blast the first time I played it, and I'm still having an absolute blast discovering the technical nuances, perfecting my timing, recognizing patterns in friends' play via observation, and slowly learning how to deal with the million and one different scenarios that pop up while in a match.

Shouta

I have a stick myself but in most cases, I prefer pad. I don't have too many problems with doing EXs but there are a few like close standing mk -> EX High Speed Barrage for Q that I have trouble with.

another cvs2 player in the house!
3S is a good game I just don't find it as fun maybe since half the cast is hit or miss, I wonder what it would look like using the snk character designers. Also another criticism is that with parries it slows down the game such that it turns such a defensive game.

i kinda liked the balance in double impact better...

and what the fuck was up with the graphics in the dreamcast version of 3rd strike? capcom used some cheesy filter to "blur" the sprites and give everything a "guilty gear" appearance with as little effort as possible. this was further evidenceg by the use of a code that would enable the game to play in its original, "rough edged pixel" look.

does anyone know what i'm talking baout cause this has always bugged the piss out of me.

ourumov

3S is a great game, gameplay wise probably the best SF ever...However I have always found myself enjoying a lot more 2nd Impact...don't ask me why. I guess it's the whole package that makes me love it a lot more.
However, things changed a bit when I become a Makoto/Chun Li player...Anyways that doesn't change I continue being a 2nd Impact lover.

Anyanka

2nd Impact did have better stages. They're so lifeless in 3S and the sharing is lame. A few are good, like Yun/Yang and Ryu's but some are just so bland. Elena's stage is like this field of orange.

The music has really grown on me over the years.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I love this game, probably my favorite 2D fighter ever. I've gotten quite a few people into this game, who brushed off SF3 years ago. But after showing them the Daigo video (I'll personally admit that I never really followed SF3 till seeing that video and was impressed by the incredible animation) and letting them play the game on Live, they went out and got Xboxen + 3rd Strike the next day. I'm a big fan of Yun, he's the guy I play most even though I'm not that great with him, my friend is awesome with Dudley even though he usually plays Ken to counter every other person on Live playing Ryu/Ken/Akuma. I also enjoy Elena, I love her stance, her stage, and yes I love the music. The bonus games in this game are the best - parrying Sean's basketballs, and destroying the SUV... hilarious. I prefer the more ethnic stereotype SF2 characters to the super hero wannabe guys in 3 - most of the characters I enjoy are the humans (Makoto, Ibuki, the twins, R/K/A, Elena, Dudley, etc).

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Himuro said:

Just becuase you're not good at something dosent make it bad.

MoxManiac

3rd Strike's single player is pretty good to me, the AI plays quite well, despite a few problems (like them walking into an aegis reflector like it's not there :lol )

TS is deep as hell and it's damn near brilliant. That being said I found much more enjoyment out of SFA3 and Capcom vs. Snk 2, there is just so much packed in those games.

LakeEarth

MoxManiac said:
3rd Strike's single player is pretty good to me, the AI plays quite well, despite a few problems (like them walking into an aegis reflector like it's not there :lol )
The AI is way better than say Hyper Fighting's AI, but it still has problems. Sometimes they are wayyy too stupid (like never blocking the Electric Snake or Oro constantly double jumping straight up for no reason) or way too good (sometimes they react to your move the very second you press the button). Still it isn't too bad at all.

And thanks negitoro...err, I may have gone too far but I'm happy with it.

MoxManiac

Oro also does this thing where he shoots a horizontal ball, and like clockwork, always throws a diagonal-up ball afterwards.

LakeEarth

MoxManiac said:
Oro also does this thing where he shoots a horizontal ball, and like clockwork, always throws a diagonal-up ball afterwards.
And of course there's Ken's random lp.dp, mp.dp, fp.dp (dp - dragon punch) he likes to do for no reason whatsoever. And the AI is inconsistant. Urien knows to headbutt after his juggle uppercut, but Remy doesn't know he can flashkick his.

LakeEarth

Good games, your Ibuki and Dudley are sweet. With I could've shown you my Oro but for some reason he wouldn't come out in play so you got his replacement, Sucky Oro. Maybe another time.

rastex

Banned
Awesome games. I can't believe I forgot how much fun 3S was. My Ibuki is the same as when I left off, which I'd practised A LOT with her, but my Dudley needs some polishing to get it back to what I had it. Your Alex is a beast, Remy is deadly, and your Yang is annoying bastard :p I fear what's going to happen with your Urien.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Great stuff, Lake. Fun to read and nice pics. Some things I would add to Hugo:

SAIII-Hammer Frenzy:
Great for fireball whores since the 1st frame is invulnerable, you'll pass right through and in general good for countering rush downs for that fact. Great for combos off his Palm Bomber or low LP (2X). Good way to chase turtlers when you hold down P; as Lake mentioned you can fake it then 360 after recovery, but it's mega-risky but oh-so-stylish and fucked up if you pull it off.

SAI-Gigas Breaker:
Pretty much what you'll want to use once you get comfortable with Hugo. Silly range--anyone gets nearby, make them pay. As Lake mentioned, even after getting hit you can pull this off (Makoto's Hayate, Chun Spinning Bird Kick) and after any block/parry with lag. Learning buffers is important--do it after a dash, after down+FP (his anti-air spearing head but) if you're far away enough since most people will automatically try to attack after a move w/ such heavy recovery. Throw out an early MP "slap" on wake-up and time the buffer so the Gigas comes out right as they get up. "Hide" the 1st 360 motion in a standing LK move, walk up a brief sec and pull out the 2nd 360 motion for a "standing" Gigas. Shootdown BackBreaker--use this anti-air as a set-up for Gigas by buffering the Gigas within the Shootdown. In other words, whiff the Shootdown purposely to either cross-up on wakeup (LK version is good for this) and Gigas them from behind as they rise the other way. Or Shootdown from across the screen (HK version) if they are fireball whores and snatch them up from behind (or even in front!).

Many times people will get too "happy" and try to fight toe to toe with Hugo, especially with rush down characters. Make them pay.

MP Patty Cake Slap: fantastic poke. Use and abuse. Stuffs a lot of shit.
Palm Bomber: frame advantage through the roof, use to get in close and mix-up.
Low MK: Great poke with massive range, good to use in conjunction with Low LK and after a blocked Palm Bomber.
Low LP/LK: his combo "starters": into Hammer Frenzy or EX Lariat.

Fun stuff to try:
Try a short Lariat or short Meat Squasher to stop short but still close enough where they think you're range will be longer and if they attack and whiff or hesitate at all BOOM! 360 or Gigas.

Parry. Parry. Then Parry some more. And above all else, learn to Parry. The Urien's and Akuma's of the world love a parrying Hugo.

Learn to use his Lariat (LP) as an anti-air of sorts to catch back-jumpers and rushers.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Im disgusted this topic is only 2 pages.

altbwizard.gif

So are you ppl still playing or what? We have a big tournament coming up here in Atlanta come end of April and I am going to start praticing again for it. Should be pretty huge..

I'm still playing Makoto, but have been playing a lot more yang as well. He has some tricky stuff that's for sure. One set up I think is hilarious is if you acually hit them with his EX Roll Kick, as they come down, reset them with standing jab, then cancel the jab into a teleport. Its pretty wiley lookin. Teleporting around their corpse after a knock down is ace too. hah.

I think I just like characters that can move around the screen really fast.

LakeEarth

Unexpected bump!

Yeah I'm still playing the game. Not as much since I got the 360, but still a sizeable amount. I'm better but I think I hit the bump in how good someone can get playing online only. I'm still having lots of fun and last night faced some shitty Gill against Hugo SA1, which I'm not very good at. He went for a super-deep jump in, I parried into Gigas and had a party :D

I've currently discovered the beauty of Ryu's SAI. I loved Dejinn, but having the ability to EX whenever you want, especially the EX Fireball, really opens Ryu's ability up further from what they are. Getting 'in' is way easier when you have that EX Fireball at your side. Its just hard to be EX consistant with a pad... yeah yeah I never got the stick, I'll get it for the 360 version of 3rd Strike, when it comes around.

Yang is sweet, you can really keep the pressure on and mix the fuck up with him. He doesn't really hit very hard, and takes damage kinda big, but if you can master him your opponent won't know how to get out of the corner.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
LakeEarth said:
Unexpected bump!

I've currently discovered the beauty of Ryu's SAI. I loved Dejinn, but having the ability to EX whenever you want, especially the EX Fireball, really opens Ryu's ability up further from what they are. Getting 'in' is way easier when you have that EX Fireball at your side. Its just hard to be EX consistant with a pad... yeah yeah I never got the stick, I'll get it for the 360 version of 3rd Strike, when it comes around.

Yang is sweet, you can really keep the pressure on and mix the fuck up with him. He doesn't really hit very hard, and takes damage kinda big, but if you can master him your opponent won't know how to get out of the corner.

Yeah Ryu SAI is very strong. You have to be very skilled to use denjin well at a high level imo. His EX fireball really is his best poke. You can stay out of range of a lot of stuff and be relativley safe if you use s.MK and EX fireball. S. Mk is an excellent poke.. Then of course, dash in -> throw/karathrow to mix it all up. That's how Ryu does a lot of his damage. throws, poking around and before they know it they have lost half life. Once fuck up and he will get a massive combo and it's all over. If his jab dragon was as solid as Ken's he'd be even more nasty.

SAI Ryu combo, in or close to corner:

FP -> EX Joudan Kick -> EX Tatsu (you have to be real close to corner for this to juggle them right, sending them back into the corner) -> EX Shoryu. :lol

Takes a lot of EX meter but it looks sick.

You can also lk joudan kick them in the face after super fireball in the corner.

I think Yang can do a ton of damage if you are using SAII becuse of his ex mantis slashes. His pokes an throws and all that arent super deadly, but I have seen so many times Yang get on a roll and not only take off a huge chunk of life, but also stun the opponent. His standing FP is good too, esp if people are trying to jump out of the corner.

LakeEarth

Oh yeah, Yang is excellent, that's why I listed him as Upper Tier in my list though I think that one would be my most 'controversial' tier ranking. Yang has a lot of mix-up options and can keep the pressure going like no one other than Makoto.

Although it does shit all damage, I love the corner combo, s.mk -> mk roll-kick -> SAII. It just looks too sweet.

Singho

Hello, first post! :D

I absolutely love SF3: Third Strike, played it almost exclusivley for over a year when it hit xbox live, and managed to rack up a somthing stupid like 11,000 matches played. :s

Never used to appreciate it much before, as before live, just had no one to play the game against at all. But with XBL could finally challenge friends on forums to matches. :D Managed to play the game a few times against a few people offline for about 2 months in anticipation for it to come on xbox live, and tried to get semi decent at it. :) Played a few of my mates who had also gotten into the game after seeing the Daigo Ken vs Wong Chun match at EVO2K4. Used to play it now and again before that, but as soon as the video hit the net, loads of people decided to pick the game up and learn it.

Ill be honest, when 3rd Strike first came out in 1999\2000 I wasnt very impressed...because i didnt know shit. :lol Its only after seeing what was possible was my eyes opened to how deep this game is, and the way you could just use mind games to trick your opponent into doing daft shit only for you to capitalise. Also initially hated the cast, but they have all grown on me, and although they may not be as iconic or memorable to most people as they have fond memories of the older cast from their childhood, the new cast imo is just as strong. (ORO FTW!)

Absolutley love parrying, and it just got rid of the fear of fireball\dragon traps, and grapple characters with it are even more lethal. Its a real good showboating tool, and you can make your opponent feel powerless if you can put them in such a position where you can try and make them attack you, just for the frame advantage to counter them back with.

In a nutshell, love this game to death, played it almost religously up untill I broke my xbox pad... :lol ...Yeah, the big old style Burger Pad. >_<;;; Dont ask me how, but I was just really comfortable with the size of the pad, and the chewed up toffee D Pad. ;p

Glad it broke, as I am now forced to try and learn an arcade stick. Might as well, its a universal control method for fighters, as in the past having to get used all the different types of pads released for consoles with various fighting games on them, this way the control transition will be nothing to worry about. That is...when i learn how to play on one.

Anyway, Oro is who I would consider to be my main character and i dabble with everyone else. He is such a tricky bastard just with his normal moveset and then his exellent Supers...all of which are EX'able. (in other words, at MAX, he can unleash a stronger variation of the normal Super) Was a great character to use on my unsuspecting friends and on XBL. Caught so many people in Tengu Stone combo's which led to them disconnecting. ^_^ Probably because of his appearance, and at first play, he doesnt seem to be anything special, but this old fart is dangerous. \o/

Love his launcher into Chicken Dance combo, if you play it right, they are at your mercy. From a single hit medium punch you can jump up continue tojuggle them with the chicken dance combo and carry on for further hits and tag any of the supers at the end of it (except SA1 normal). He has a few mid air resets, which basically means that he can interrupt a juggle and reset the opponent to fall on their feet, and from here you can dash under and continue the juggle and try and catch them off gaurd, or pause and wait for an opening without having to dash. Having the reset done on an inexperienced player is brilliiant, as it will seem as though it is an infinite. :lol: Sadly, its easily blockable once reset, but thats where you have to get the mind games and stuff in to catch them. :)

But of course, cant beat the good old old EX SA3 Tengu Stone. :) Full Bar, and just getting hit by his MP launcher, could spell curtains for the opponent as you bounce them into the corner and rape their life with HK. :lol

Really tricky character to fight against as he is really fast; has a double jump, command grab, Charge fireballs (3 differnt heights), air throw, leaping ranged attacks, a down\up charge rising elbow attack (anti air, good surprise move after landing too, nice EX damage too), a nice dash range and an absolutley filthy standing Hard Kick. :D

A lot of people dismiss 3rd Strike, and dont give it a chance because either they miss their favourite characters from SF2, or they think the game is too overwhelming. But as with all fighting games, if you can find someone who is on your same level to begin with, you can progress at your own pace, and learn the game slowly. After playing this, its pretty hard to go back to old school SF, as you end up trying to parry in those games, and try and throw people by pressing LP+LK. :lol

I struggle against really good Chun, Makoto and Yun players. Makoto especially from her HCB command grab into either her high low game linking into her dash punches and then trying to avoid either an overhead chop or another command grab. Her killer SA2 combo after a HP and all the different resets she has. :s Urghhh, really tough character to play against if in the right hands. She also has a jumping HK from hell. >_<;;;; Struggle against good Yun and Chun for all the usual reasons.

Hmmm...better stop my post their, im a bloody addict. :S Im getting the 3rd strike shakes....must...play..soon. >_<;

Great first post, Singho. Welcome to the asylum.

I'm still mostly a Ryu player, but Hugo has become a more common pick over time. The dude is just too much fun. It's also great to eat a hit solely to buffer a successful Gigas Breaker.

Oh, and I very much recommend unlocking the Extra Options and playing with the all the HUD removed from view. Makes for a much more focused game, but you really have to know your characters to anticipate Super availability and dizzy meter breaking.

Now that I have my SFAC Arcade Stick, I've been getting back into the groove with using a stick and it pretty damned nice.

LakeEarth

What Guard Meter? :lol

And Tengu-Stone corner pro-tip : If you activate EX Tengu in the corner, start off the combo with a straight jump RH and then repeated s.RH, it'll do more damage then 6 s.RH on their own. I love Oro too, quick little stunner.

LakeEarth

_leech_ said:
Sometimes i feel like i'm the only one who uses Akuma
bleh23kl.gif
:lol

Are you ... being...ser...seri..

:lol

Well professionally you don't see a lot of Akuma's out there. But if you go online, you will see quite a few. Akuma in 3rd Strike is very fun to watch in professional vids. Seeing a Kara-Raging Demon is like seeing a Gigas activate. You just go WHOO!!!

Top Bottom