• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist Released, Entire Series Available Now

Khrno

Just finished watching it all, it was great. At the beginning I thought Ken's acting was rather bad, but as the episodes went by, I got more fond of his acting and in the end I didn't have issues with any of the acting.

Best thing of the series was Goma, the old man by the lake.

Phades

Haha true. I guess my expectations were higher due to my friend hyping it so much like yes it will be neay but god damn its just SF.

You are going to have to give it a fair bar to measure from.

Test #1

Production quality, lore, and execution, do you find it to be better or worse than The legend of chun li?

Test # 2

Same question as #1, but applied to Street fighter the movie (1994).

I'm betting this passes the first two tests easily. Fans of streetfighter (and games in general) are pretty starved for a decent representation of their favorite games. I haven't had a chance to watch this yet, but from the trailers i saw previously and the interviews, it looks like they were doing it right for a change (production assets aside and that is more of a money thing...).

Kikujiro

Congrats to the team for making this, it takes a lot of passion and work. I really hope it will be a success so we can get more seasons, I want to see the other characters as well.

TheOGB

Banned
That was amazing, well done all around. It greatly exceeded my expectations and I'm kinda blown away. The shoto characters are some of my favorite in the series, so to have their backstory brilliantly realized like this was such a treat. I've been hyped since the initial announcement and was eager to pledge to the Kickstarter, so I'm really glad that hope was not misplaced.

Joey and the entire crew did an excellent job. Can't wait to see what's next!
uOuW6Yh.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hopefully Capcom steps their shit up and tries to get some stable funding for this. I feel the creators are, and have been limited by Capcom's cosign.

Joey & Christian really have a good understanding of what SF is at it's essence, and it shows.

Hopefully Capcom steps their shit up and tries to get some stable funding for this. I feel the creators are, and have been limited by Capcom's cosign.

Joey & Christian really have a good understanding of what SF is at it's essence, and it shows.

It's a shame these guys had to try a kick starter. This show almost didn't get made. What a treasure we have now. The team went above and beyond maintaining the established lore. As a fan you just tip your hat to that.

Sayaka was the heart of this movie. Her character was so well executed and logical. I'm so impressed. Never was she cliche. Gouki has corrupted her. She is Ninja. She may have done something to poison Gotetsu. The quiet ones...

Mobius 1

Just the nod and respect for the lore makes it worth watching. I only saw the first episode and I had nostalgia waves hitting me. Outstanding work by these guys.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just the nod and respect for the lore makes it worth watching. I only saw the first episode and I had nostalgia waves hitting me. Outstanding work by these guys.
I think this and the attention to detail is probably what made it the most enjoyable for me. And the fact that most of that stuff isn't a cameo-only ordeal, but they seem to knit it all together very well. I can see someone who isn't really into the lore not enjoying it as much, but it is really made just for SF fans.

jtenma

Banned
Anyone else think that was
"guile"
who ken bumped into at the bar?

And LOL @
ONO
. I started screaming when I saw him.

Also:
"Who the hell is Dan"?
LOL

Man, as a SF fan who always wanted a bit more story for some of my favorite characters, THIS IS IT. I wish Capcom wouldve made a serious attempt like this.

KEN IS MY FAVORITE, and my MAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (screaming!)

Lyonaz

This was great, I love how accurate they translated some of the moves from the game to live action. The characters' fighting and moving style were spot on. Original SF music made me smile. Loved the
Ono
cameo and the
Dan
name drop.
I didn't like Akuma's face though, he reminded me of Blanka from the JCVD SF movie, a bit too caveman, neanderthallish. Ken and Ryu looked great, short hair Ken was the best.

Can't wait for Season 2.

Moaradin

Saw it. It was excellent. They adapted the stories extremely well. Ryu and Ken were great. Gouki/Akuma was handled surprisingly great. I want more of this.

SnakeEyes

Banned
I've watched the first 3 episodes (0-2) while the rest download and it's fantastic. Ken's portrayal is pretty much perfect, and I can't wait to see more of Gouki/Akuma.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Just finished watching all the episodes.

Came in a little skeptical whether or not this would be good. By the end of episode 12 I wanted more.

The guy playing Ken Masters nailed the part.

Really glad to see you are all really enjoying it :D

Absolutely brilliant. Watched the whole thing. It felt like watching something I'd imagine as a kid, playing the Street Fighter games and hoping to see a deeper, more elaborate portrayal of the history of these characters. The kid in me is weeping with joy. You guys should be proud of Assassin's Fist. If someone ever mentions that a fighting game shouldn't or couldn't have a good story, I'll point them to this.

Here's a big fat pixelated brofist for the whole team.

E9KaVKW.gif

Also, using Ken's theme for
an actual montage of Ken and Ryu practicing
is perfect, like having the cake and eating it too. AND
WHO THE HELL IS DAN?!

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
This was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Really enjoyed it! Are they going to make a second season?? The ending kinda leaves you hanging..
Best thing of the series was the old man by the lake, forgot his name.
Yes! I loved that old guy haha.

The old guy by the lake is
Goutetsu
, right? Btw, what was the
"shooting star" in the sky all about, was that a hint of Bison/Psycho Power
?

It's a shame these guys had to try a kick starter. This show almost didn't get made. What a treasure we have now. The team went above and beyond maintaining the established lore. As a fan you just tip your hat to that.

Sayaka was the heart of this movie. Her character was so well executed and logical. I'm so impressed. Never was she cliche. Gouki has corrupted her. She is Ninja. She may have done something to poison Gotetsu. The quiet ones...
Huh? I never got that feeling from her, like at all. He lost because Akuma was that much stronger.

This series was AMAZING. Holy CRAP I didn't know what to expect, so I got into this cautiously optimistic and got FLOORED. Ken specially was amazingly done, and I REALLY like the interpretation they gave to his father.

The only thing that made me go "Aww, maaan!" was the very last episode, where they
consciously broke canon, albeit slightly. The first time Ryu had his Satsui No Hadou awaken was not in a fight againt Ken, but against Sagat (although it was in a very similar fashion), where he gave the thai giant his famous chest scar, and he received his redband from Ken after a fight between them (again in very similar fashion) where Ken felt Ryu's focus was off (and this was due to the Satsui No Hado incident with Sagat)
. As I said, slight transgressions, but they were still noticeable to me.

Nonetheless, GIGA-HYPED for a Season 2. If they make another Kickstarter, this time I'll surely cash in! :D

SHINRYUUUUUKEN!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This series was AMAZING. Holy CRAP I didn't know what to expect, so I got into this cautiously optimistic and got FLOORED. Ken specially was amazingly done, and I REALLY like the interpretation they gave to his father.

The only thing that made me go "Aww, maaan!" was the very last episode, where they
consciously broke canon, albeit slightly. The first time Ryu had his Satsui No Hadou awaken was not in a fight againt Ken, but against Sagat (although it was in a very similar fashion), where he gave the thai giant his famous chest scar, and he received his redband from Ken after a fight between them (again in very similar fashion) where Ken felt Ryu's focus was off (and this was due to the Satsui No Hado incident with Sagat)
. As I said, slight transgressions, but they were still noticeable to me.

Nonetheless, GIGA-HYPED for a Season 2. If they make another Kickstarter, this time I'll surely cash in! :D

SHINRYUUUUUKEN!

I think those changes make the story flow a bit better though myself.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It was damn good, but I kinda feel Ryu is underdeveloped. Gouki was done really well, as is Ken. Overall, I can't wait for more!

I think those changes make the story flow a bit better though myself.

Yeah, they do, they do. They really needed that, erm, event to build drama, and they couldn't afford to "wait" until the canon-appropriate moment. The series was better for it.

The canon was not, unfortunately. Now I can't consider the series my headcanon. :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It was damn good, but I kinda feel Ryu is underdeveloped. Gouki was done really well, as is Ken. Overall, I can't wait for more!
I kind of feel the same way, but I think you get to know pretty much everything you need to know about Ryu. It was a bit strange to see Ken get much more exposition and focus, though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah, they do, they do. They really needed that, erm, event to build drama, and they couldn't afford to "wait" until the canon-appropriate moment. The series was better for it.

The canon was not, unfortunately. Now I can't consider the series my headcanon. :(

Yeah the exchange in the cannon feels backwards as hell compared to this way.

So as far as I give a fuck this is cannon now :p
Also the end when Gouken was talking to Ken directly tied into SF4 cannon when C.Viper talks to Ken about his own unique power lol

I kind of feel the same way, but I think you get to know pretty much everything you need to know about Ryu. It was a bit strange to see Ken get much more exposition and focus, though.
That's because Ken has more personality and emotion behind the stuff he does, there is more to explain with him and had to show how he eventually became ryu's superior at first. Ryu's stuff is directly tied to the Dojo and the setsui no hadou and that's it. At the point the story is at they couldn't really dwell on Ryu too much.

I'm mainly really curious to see how far they go if they get the opportunity to continue. The original treatment they wrote was around 2 hours for the entire World Warrior tournament, with all the characters. But given the speed they took with this - it's quite slow-moving, really, they take their time - 2 hours doesn't seem enough to even necessarily do the must-have characters from that.

The must-haves for an actual wider focus are probably Guile, Chun, Bison, Sagat and Cammy, right? Sagat less so... he just needs to have his brush with Ryu.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm mainly really curious to see how far they go if they get the opportunity to continue. The original treatment they wrote was around 2 hours for the entire World Warrior tournament, with all the characters. But given the speed they took with this - it's quite slow-moving, really, they take their time - 2 hours doesn't seem enough to even necessarily do the must-have characters from that.

The must-haves for an actual wider focus are probably Guile, Chun, Bison, Sagat and Cammy, right? Sagat less so... he just needs to have his brush with Ryu.

If they skip past all the SF1 and alpha story they will still have to spend time on Sagat. He's a major rival for Ryu. Sagat did defeat E.Ryu in Alpha after Bison got control of him

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Just finished watching
1397360085647.jpg

Man...WHAT A RIDE. Maybe its momentum but i'm damn sure this was by far the best live-action media based on a videogame i EVER saw in my life. Fight coreoghrafy is excellent, the pacing was good, the caracterization was perfect, everything was loyal to the franchise.
Congrats to Joey and Chris for this amazing project, i'm definitely buying the Blu-Ray when it comes out.

AND BRING IT ON SEASON 2!

Street Fighter 2 the Animated movie was fine in its portrayal of the World Warriors but that really wasn't a tournament movie. Joey has said in interviews that he thinks it's a mistake to turn everyone's favorite characters into a five minute cameo. Maybe he'll decide to do the TV series.

If enough people buy the DVD of this production maybe we can get a new web series every few years. I'd be ok with about three web series at this quality. I don't give a shit about Hollywood's take in all this. Keep them out of this. I'm afraid what more money could do to this. Great films don't need huge budgets.

We don't need a ten million dollar car chase and a gun battle shoved up our ass. No thanks.

Top Bottom