• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior made its arcade debut 26 years ago

Crazy! I have fond memories of playing this in the arcade back in the day.
street-fighter-2-1.gif

https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/828750990979457025

Neoxon

It's also Street Fighter franchise 30th Anniversary this August.
Yup, it still feels weird that Street Fighter's been around for this long.

That said, happy birthday SFII. Thanks for defining an entire genre for generations to come.

Oregano

.... and soon you'll be able to buy the game again on cartridge for the low, low price of $40!

I know the price and content isn't confirmed but couldn't resist.

With Street Fighter 2 came the birth of the competitive fighting game scene, which would continue to evolve over the years as more and more titles released, and more and more people played.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I remember it like it was yesterday. Got my preteen butt whooped all the time. I remember all I could do was the Sonic Boom with Guile over and over. Haha

Side note:
I was always mad the black guy got knocked out in the intro.
They bleached his skin in the Genesis version

MrCarter

Ah the memories. I was still very young when this was released on arcades but I remember playing this on the SNES and I was hooked on the franchise since.

Ensoul

Street fighter 2 was my life. I was at the local arcade 4 or 5 times a night playing that game. (that may explain my luck with the girls, or lack thereof) Good times and still my all time favorite arcade game. I am kind of surprised SF 2 was made street fighter 1 was so bad.

YaGaMi

Biggest arcade game for me and my neighbourhood when it was released. We ended up buying the SNES console with the game when it came out in the UK to the envy of all my Megadrive and Master System friends.

Blues1990

To think, we've never seen those two guys since.

I thought Capcom Japan had gone and redesigned a lot of the minor characters that have appeared in the series, including those two that popped up in the intro for the original arcade game?

I still remember seeing it in person for the first time in a dutch arcade, a big crowd had formed around the machine. Blanka's stage. It was magnetic.

Pachinko

It's interesting how iconic This game is , more interesting still is just how much stuff it doesn't have that I take for granted now - throws being done with lights , ex moves , super moves , command normals , teching , etc

I actually find the series got way more enjoyable once alpha came out but it's one of those things I only appreciate in hindsight.

YaGaMi

As much as I loved street fighter I was pretty done with it when SF 3 came out. I know people love the game but I just couldn't really get into it.

In my locality we moved on to SNK'S KOF series by mid 90's as we found it more advanced.

Ensoul

In my locality we moved on to SNK'S KOF series by mid 90's as we found it more advanced.

KOF never caught on at my local arcades. The only SNK game that really caught on was samurai showdown.

Still, I did buy SF3 for the dreamcast and it was decent but I just didn't get into it the way I did with SF 2 and all the different versions.

Sanctuary

I remember it like it was yesterday. Got my preteen butt whooped all the time. I remember all I could do was the Sonic Boom with Guile over and over. Haha

Side note:

Thing is, you don't know how many hits either took prior to that final punch.

First part of EGM's first strategy guide

I had that, and that was the point in which you knew EGM was beyond everyone else at the time.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Hats off to SF2 I was but a small child when I first played it at arcades fell in love at first sight.

Side note:

Here's the 'censored' Sega Genesis/ Mega Drive intro for you:

LfU1iE2.gif

26 years ago, I was 10 years old. I must have seen that intro so many times as a kid, and I never once noticed the racial tones. All I saw was a guy punch another guy in the head. I didn't really notice it until the colour palette swap of the one guy in the Genesis version.

I remember seeing SF2 in arcades back in the day, there used to be huge gatherings of teens/ people huddled around these machines and watching people fight. It was a thing for a while... until Mortal Kombat came in and stole SF2's thunder.

Top Bottom