• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior made its arcade debut 26 years ago

DjMystix

Damn this makes me feel so old!! And what's more depressing is that I also remember playing the original street fighter in the arcades back in 1988..... (or was it 1989.. not sure)

iidesuyo

The first version of SFII I ever played was the the CE edition on my cousins Mega Drive in late '93. That was great. I remember I had difficulties at first because as a kid I was used to press a button to jump, unlike using the D-Pad.

Later I had World Warriors on my SNES, the fact it was the 50Hz PAL version made it even more aweful. But the music and speech were much better.

In '93, a Chinese friend of mine got a US SNES with a Japanese SF2 cartridge. He couldnt play it in Australia, because the local tv's ran at 50Hz (the screen would flicker with 3 overlapped black and white images). I had the standard PAL/Aussie version, but it ran slower. I remember being embarrassed that "Australian" tech was inferior to the US and Japanese stuff.
I also remember paying $140 AUD for that SNES game. Still by faaaaaaar the most I've payed for any single game. Tough times.

ThEoRy...

Wow, now I'm feeling old. I remember it like it was yesterday. So many memories, so many quarters. I used to be able to beat the computer with no losses and all perfects earning the special secret ending. Really brings me back.

jaypah

Wow, now I'm feeling old. I remember it like it was yesterday. So many memories, so many quarters. I used to be able to beat the computer with no losses and all perfects earning the special secret ending. Really brings me back.

Special ending group picture (with and without bosses) was only in the home versions, right? I don't remember anything special for the arcade version.

Guys, no throws, they're cheap.

I have vivid memories of my time with SF2. I've seen fights break out over "cheap" tactics, lines taking 30 mins to get through, and the explosion of the fighting genre. Nobody really played Zangief, and so many people thought Ken was better than Ryu. Figuring out how to play and eventually winning against people was the best part of my childhood.

IISANDERII

Bruh did EGM really try to pull the wool over reader's eyes by pretending Ryu and Ken weren't literal clones? The fuck is Ken's berserker rage?
You ignant? The AI were very different for Ken and Ryu. Ryu was very defensive and spammed fireball while Ken did indeed go berserk if his health bar went down to certain point.

In '93, a Chinese friend of mine got a US SNES with a Japanese SF2 cartridge. He couldnt play it in Australia, because the local tv's ran at 50Hz (the screen would flicker with 3 overlapped black and white images). I had the standard PAL/Aussie version, but it ran slower. I remember being embarrassed that "Australian" tech was inferior to the US and Japanese stuff.
I also remember paying $140 AUD for that SNES game. Still by faaaaaaar the most I've payed for any single game. Tough times.

The era of 50hz PAL game releases was truly a dark one. Slowdown and black borders.

ThEoRy...

Special ending group picture (with and without bosses) was only in the home versions, right? I don't remember anything special for the arcade version.

It was on the arcade machine but I don't remember if it was championship edition or not but I think it was. I do remember that after the traditional ending there were character profile screens of some sort. I'm gonna go youtube it to jog my memory. After all it was 25 years or so ago.

Kurt

Good days. Was addictic to the arcade version. Day one on snes. Did played the usa version first.
Will buy the switch version again.

Malcolm9

As an 11 year old gamer at the time (1992), getting a SNES with Street Fighter II for Xmas is still my best ever feeling in gaming.

I had been playing it in the local arcades quite a bit, but to actually own it at home was just magical back then.

ThEoRy...

It was on the arcade machine but I don't remember if it was championship edition or not but I think it was. I do remember that after the traditional ending there were character profile screens of some sort. I'm gonna go youtube it to jog my memory. After all it was 25 years or so ago.

Looking at a few videos it's hard to find the exact thing I'm looking for. What with there being so many versions of Sf2 and all. But it did jog my memory. I remember that if you beat the game without losing a round it gave you a special montage of fighting scenes during the credits featuring the characters. If you beat it with out losing a round and with all perfects it gave you the character bios screens. I think it had a profile pic and stats like height weight and blood type. I gotta find this now.

Justinh

I still remember the very first time I played a Street Fighter 2 machine.

I was with my Pop, and we were at some pizza thing (I guess Anthony's Pizza) on Kadena Air Force Base in Okinawa, Japan. I think it was after we got haircuts. I hated getting haircuts when I was a kid so he was probably trying to cheer me up.

My dad let me go play the arcade machines while he waited in line to get food for us. I was too short to see the screen so I dragged a barstool over and stood on it. I lost my balance somehow and fell onto the cabinet, biting through my bottom lip. Blood was everywhere. I don't remember if I ever ate the pizza, but I do remember I chose Guile.

Worth it...

Last great sf game was alpha2

Yeah, that's my view as well.

Seeing it at Putt-Putt Golf & Games for the first time was amazing. The booming speakers and the massive, well-animated characters was impressive as hell. Just the process of unlocking unknown knowledge of specials and mastering controls by experience and talking with any strangers at the machine while waiting on your quarter to come up was kinda magical as fuck. SF II was damned addictive...almost didn't graduate from high school on time because I spent so much time playing the original release version at any and every convenience store and arcade where there was a machine and a crowd gathered around. My heightened fever with Champion Edition and Turbo Hyper Fighting nearly cratered my first two years of college. Good times.

Happy birthday to one of the true classics of gaming.

The days of lining up behind the masses to get a crack at the guy that nobody can beat, putting your quarter on the cabinet to reserve your spot...

...days missed.

rec0ded1

Good to see we old schoolers agree sf alpha 2 was best.

Also why'd they change the announcer voice in super Street fighter? Lame move imo.

I mained Chun Li. Not a top tier fighter in SF2, but I loved her agility, loved stomping on people's heads, and I loved playing the underdog.

I remember playing against some Korean gangster in Houston at a putt-putt golf arcade. He was playing Ryu of course. His crew was all around us. I lost a few games to him, he was tough. But finally I beat him. He was not gracious in defeat, but he begrudingly gave me a nod. That felt better than winning 50 times with Ryu or Guile.

I remember at university there was a SF2 machine in the cafeteria. There were a few people who were always there, I remember this one dude in particular who always played Blanka. We were probably equals in W-L. So we were both there when this new guy comes up and picks Ryu of course. He sees me pick Chun Li and starts talking shit. My Blanka buddy starts laughing to himself. I absolutely crush this guy, even finishing him with the helicopter kick which was pretty much a no-go with any good Ryu player. He just walks away without saying shit and the Blanka guy starts howling with laughter.

Man I miss the arcade scene from those days.

shounenka

The days of lining up behind the masses to get a crack at the guy that nobody can beat, putting your quarter on the cabinet to reserve your spot...

Hahah I relished being "that guy" in my local area back in the day. Surprised I didn't get beat up.

A few trips to arcades in Boston's Chinatown area made me realized just how much of a scrub I really was.

The first time I saw E. Honda fight Ken in the bathhouse stage, I genuinely thought that graphics could never get any better.

Every few months, the game felt fresh again. Figuring out how to pull off a Shoryuken at will, then figuring out how to grab people from like ten feet away using Zangief's spinning pile driver (and without jumping, no less). Interrupting--not just comboing--regular attacks with special moves (my favorite being Blanka's medium knee/punch->roll attack). Mastering the art of the "crossover" to confuse your opponent's blocking direction.

SFII on the SNES was the very first video game that, to me and a LOT of peeps that I knew, made the idea of "buying a system just for one game" viable.

Easily top five.

Chuckie

The only arcade game I ever finished :D

Still remember that fight against Bison. A small crowd of people behind me...me being nervous as hell but I beat him. People were actually applauding

ddikxela

Ah, the game that started it all for me(MCA sticks for life).

When this game turned up, this game was a huge hit in auckland(where was it not though!?). You would find this game in many convenience stores/dairies and burgerstands/fish & chip shops, or should I say every venue in Auckland that had at least 1 arcade cab would've had World Warrior.

I was a regular at my local shop and could only do charge character specials. Older kids used to mock me for it. Then for some reason I just clicked and it came to me like second nature. I could finally hit qcf/qcb specials and dragon punches with ease. My cancel timing was already on point so cancelling a crouching fierce into a jab dp on a dizzy character to win the match with Ryu was something I always remember about this game.

Funnily enough I've been slowly acquiring parts to build my own supergun so that I can run a SF II CPS1 board at home(I always wanted my own Street Fighter II cab when I was little)

This title was a game changer for me and got me into gaming big time.

Happy 26th Anniversary Street Fighter II and thanks for making me feel old.

Tizoc

Lots of cool SF2 artwork were posted here btw

nLyrd1B.jpg
mNXSl2t.jpg

rZNZQJD.jpg

Also bonus Kinu Nishimura art because she is awesome and non of you know who she is :v

Meesh

Damn this makes me feel so old!! And what's more depressing is that I also remember playing the original street fighter in the arcades back in 1988..... (or was it 1989.. not sure)
Lol shit. Brings back memories... when I bought the original cart for SNES, at the time my local store in Canada wanted closer to 90$ including taxes in Canadian $. Worth every penny... didn't mind buying all the upgraded versions either. It's still my go-to fighting game when I have my kids 🙂

Used to play SF2 at my local pool hall on breaks from college. Absolutely adored it then and have lost count of the amount of different home versions I've owned, including crazy expensive imported SNES version.

Quite possibly my favourite game if all time.

You guys had it good. There wasn't an arcade anywhere near me and I didn't have a SNES, so I rocked the Amiga version. Single button joysticks, multiple disk swaps per match, 32 color graphics, doing Shoryuken with a Flash kick motion... but I had to convince myself that it was awesome or die of jealousy.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
No, it didn't. But I'm guessing you already knew that and are acting intentionally obtuse.

SF2: More original characters with original moves. Arcade Mode, All original soundtrack, biggest offline scene worldwide.

SFV: Server errors, rehashed music, rehashed characters, No arcade mode, worse AI.

SF2 was the better package, imo. 🤔

Tizoc

SF2: More original characters with original moves. Arcade Mode, All original soundtrack, biggest offline scene worldwide.

SFV: Server errors, rehashed music, rehashed characters, No arcade mode, worse AI.

SF2 was the better package, imo. 🤔

SF2 is not the only fighting game in existence to have an Arcade mode in it.
AI in any fighting game can be stupid easy or stupid hard.

Saying it had original characters with original moves is ridiculous when there are many fighting games with original characters that have original moves, who later got sequels that rehashed music and rehashed characters.

Artdayne

Street Fighter was such a forward thinking series, I'm curious how much of what is in those early games was created almost entirely on their own. I mean you did have Karate Champ:

Karate_Champ.png

That does predate the entire Street Fighter series and while that is probably the start of the head to head fighting game genre, I think Street Fighter was the first series to add special moves like Ryu's hadoken Obviously Street Fitghter also expanded on that a lot by having all these unique characters that had unique movesets. While I'll always prefer Samurai Shodown a bit, Capcom deserves a lot of credit for Street Fighter as it did in many ways make the genre a popular one.

Chinbo37

I remember the first time I played it, it was at a water park.

There was a huge crowd of people around. I had heard of hte game but didnt know anything about it really. I put in my quarter and selected Blanka. I lost the first round and I thought that was it. I walked away from the machine and everyone was like "Hey its not over!"

GeoNeo

I disagree.
SF2 is not the only fighting game in existence to have an Arcade mode in it.
AI in any fighting game can be stupid easy or stupid hard.

Saying it had original characters with original moves is ridiculous when there are many fighting games with original characters that have original moves, who later got sequels that rehashed music and rehashed characters.

I'm not comparing SF2 to every other fighting game just SFV.

SFV as a packaged game how many years after SF2 gave very little extra value. Hell even SF4 was a WAY better package.

Top Bottom