• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior made its arcade debut 26 years ago

gelf

First time I actually saw SF2 was on a friends Amiga and I was mighty impressed. I didn't know it was a bad port until later so I got to have my mind blown a second time playing a proper version.

legit sf2 had more content than SFV did on its release right? 🤔
More content I actually care about at least because a standard arcade mode is still better then story and survival.

MrCarter

I'm not comparing SF2 to every other fighting game just SFV.

SFV as a packaged game how many years after SF2 gave very little extra value. Hell even SF4 was a WAY better package.

I think that's subjective. If you like arcade mode and a fighting game doesn't have it I would understand but there are also many who simply like to play the core game online, with friends or family. Also SFV still has "original characters" and you can't expect a game released in 2016 to have the same old music 26 years ago so I don't see your point there.

Mods, AmyS seriously needs a tag! "Video game historian" or something :p

Anyway, I was just playing World Warrior yesterday. I play it somewhat regularly. I own the SNES cartridge but still play the version on Capcom Classics Collection more since it's much closer to arcade perfection.

There are a lot of little things I love about this game as opposed to the sequels (although I love all games in the Street Fighter II series):

- Guile's jab re-dizzy combos. Oh yea.
- Ryu's stage seemingly having a "sunset" color scheme rather than a night color scheme as it does in future entries
- Sagat's stage has a PALM TREE. I miss the palm tree :-(
- Dictator's portrait is all red. He looks really evil :-D
- Chun-Li's outfit is orange (-ish) in the portrait for apparently no reason, because her in-game sprite has the iconic blue outfit.
- Ryu and Ken have hideous smiles in their "fist raised" victory pose, LOL
- Combos dizzy very easily, and do a lot of damage
- Gimped 'Gief because he only has the 3P Lariat, which stays in place (you can't move)
- And much, much more.

And the best thing is, that it's still a joy to play, 26 years later.

TigerKnee

You guys had it good. There wasn't an arcade anywhere near me and I didn't have a SNES, so I rocked the Amiga version. Single button joysticks, multiple disk swaps per match, 32 color graphics, doing Shoryuken with a Flash kick motion... but I had to convince myself that it was awesome or die of jealousy.

That's just sad. Sorry :(

B3il

Getting the awful Amiga version for Christmas 1992 and convincing myself that it was genuinely good and fun and proper SF2 is the single greatest act of self-deception I've ever performed.

There are a lot of little things I love about this game as opposed to the sequels (although I love all games in the Street Fighter II series):
It's interesting to see the concepts that never made it into the updates, where they were still clearly working things out.

The four bosses' lack of animation and crazy collision detection, or countering Blanka's roll attack causing enormous damage to him.

It's also interesting seeing what graphics and concepts didn't make the cut -- https://tcrf.net/Street_Fighter_II

RangerX

Banned
Some of my greatest gaming memories come from playing this with my brother and mates on rhe megadrive back in the day. Loved playing it in the arcade too. It revolutionised a genre.

petran79

Banned
Getting the awful Amiga version for Christmas 1992 and convincing myself that it was genuinely good and fun and proper SF2 is the single greatest act of self-deception I've ever performed.

[/url]

Amiga and DOS players were much better off playing Body Blows.

LMAO... Just how bad was the Amiga version?

I guess I can check out a video on YouTube. Maybe I shouldn't :-D

Ah, so many memories. When I was a kid, I was confused as hell:

"Wait, Ryu getting pwned by Blanka... WAT?"

And Blanka has that fucking "I know I'm a troll, and I love it" smile on his face >:D

latest

Hazzuh

I do wonder if a fighting game as straight forward as SF2 could be successful now. I don't necessarily mean easy combos etc like SFV, just getting rid of all the meters and subsystems that populate modern fighting games. I've been playing a lot of Guilty Gear recently and while it is super fun it is also rather convoluted.

Onny

SF2: More original characters with original moves. Arcade Mode, All original soundtrack, biggest offline scene worldwide.

SFV: Server errors, rehashed music, rehashed characters, No arcade mode, worse AI.

SF2 was the better package, imo. 🤔

Come on dude, what are you taking about.

SF2 had eight characters, two of which were near enough clones. You couldn't choose the same character without entering a code. It had game breaking bugs. It had no practice mode or combo challenge or survival. PAL territories suffered from a terrible conversion.

SFV launched with 16 unique characters, 4 of which are completely new and 4 of which haven't been in a mainline street fighter title for 18 years.

So while you might be sad at the lack of arcade mode, saying that sf2 objectively offers "the better package" is pure garbage.

I do wonder if a fighting game as straight forward as SF2 could be successful now. I don't necessarily mean easy combos etc like SFV, just getting rid of all the meters and subsystems that populate modern fighting games. I've been playing a lot of Guilty Gear recently and while it is super fun it is also rather convoluted.

Damn, good post. This is why I've always liked and vouched for the Street Fighter II series. It's perfect, with easy and simple pick up and play fun for general people, but layers of complexity underneath for the pros.

Street Fighter (or any other fighting game, for that matter) has not been able to reach that balance ever again.

This could be something here on the Gaf may be able to solve. This has baffled me for years.

So I had this on the SNES and played a couple of variations after. But I remember as a kid, playing a crazy version in the arcade where.... bizarre stuff happened. I can't remember everything specifically, but I do remember that when you did Balrogs sliding lunge punch, 3 of Ryu/Kens fireballs would also shoot out.

Anyone even ever heard of this?

Hazzuh

This could be something here on the Gaf may be able to solve. This has baffled me for years.

So I had this on the SNES and played a couple of variations after. But I remember as a kid, playing a crazy version in the arcade where.... bizarre stuff happened. I can't remember everything specifically, but I do remember that when you did Balrogs sliding lunge punch, 3 of Ryu/Kens fireballs would also shoot out.

Might be Street Fighter 2 Rainbow Edition?

IISANDERII

Come on dude, what are you taking about.

SF2 had eight characters, two of which were near enough clones. You couldn't choose the same character without entering a code. It had game breaking bugs. It had no practice mode or combo challenge or survival. PAL territories suffered from a terrible conversion.

SFV launched with 16 unique characters, 4 of which are completely new and 4 of which haven't been in a mainline street fighter title for 18 years.

So while you might be sad at the lack of arcade mode, saying that sf2 objectively offers "the better package" is pure garbage.
SF2 has 12 characters, 8 selectable and 4 masters

Morinaga

I believe it was "SF2 Rainbow edition". Im fairly sure I played it (or some version of it) at a funfair when I was a kid.

http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/Street_Fighter_II:_Rainbow_Edition

danmaku

I don't think it really matters. Most people play fighting games for the characters / art / music / story, they don't give a shit about mechanics being complex or easy. It does matter for the few players that want to get good, but at that point you sold the game anyway.

Mods, AmyS seriously needs a tag! "Video game historian" or something :p

Anyway, I was just playing World Warrior yesterday. I play it somewhat regularly. I own the SNES cartridge but still play the version on Capcom Classics Collection more since it's much closer to arcade perfection.

- Guile's jab re-dizzy combos. Oh yea.
- Ryu's stage seemingly having a "sunset" color scheme rather than a night color scheme as it does in future entries
- Sagat's stage has a PALM TREE. I miss the palm tree :-(
- Dictator's portrait is all red. He looks really evil :-D
- Chun-Li's outfit is orange (-ish) in the portrait for apparently no reason, because her in-game sprite has the iconic blue outfit.
- Ryu and Ken have hideous smiles in their "fist raised" victory pose, LOL
- Combos dizzy very easily, and do a lot of damage
- Gimped 'Gief because he only has the 3P Lariat, which stays in place (you can't move)
- And much, much more.

And the best thing is, that it's still a joy to play, 26 years later.

WW Gief is one of the best Giefs because of the minimal push-back on SPD.

Onny

SF2 has 12 characters, 8 selectable and 4 masters
I'm only counting playable characters as unplayable opponents don't really count towards the "value proposition" of a fighter. But if you want to include them, sure, and let's include the 12/13 unplayable opponents in SFV's story mode too.

WW Gief is one of the best Giefs because of the minimal push-back on SPD.

Hmmmm... I see your point, but problem is, in order to do an SPD you gotto get close. Which is difficult for WW Gief.

Super X and Hyper Fighting Giefs are arguably better. Actually, Hyper Fighting Gief is objectively better: that 3K Lariat is freaking godlike.

Oh my we are getting old. FF VII is 20, and SF II 26. I've played this countless times and remember being one of the best in the neighboor. Used to "recover the coin" for my friends when they were about to lose.

Series died at 3rd Strike for me. Anyone agree?.
Series died for me at 3 and it's iterations.
Picked back up at 4.
Dropped like a brick at 5 because none of my mains since the 90's were in the game.

Our pizza joint didn't have a arcade cabinet with the moves listed so people be scribbling moves on napkins.

Back then Guile, Ryu, Blanka was used a lot. That all changed with Champion edition. The main trio for me became Guile/Sagat/Blanka. As long as a game contains those 3, my teenage years basically, I'm there day one.

Whenever I see a SF2 arcade machine out and about I always pay respect and plop in two quarters to play.

poodaddy

The Third Strike hate brigade has arrived and is fully loaded up on crazy pills I see.

On topic; Street Fighter 2 and Mega man X are probably the most critically formative games of my life; it cannot be stated enough how important this game is to me.

Third Strike is fuckin incredible though and I don't know what you haters are smoking.

You mean a game that anyone could play with out having to worry about 17 hit combos, v triggers, ultimates, supers, juggles.

A game like SF2? Absolutely, it's no surprise the more complex the genre got the more people stopped purchasing the games.

B3il

LMAO... Just how bad was the Amiga version?

I guess I can check out a video on YouTube. Maybe I shouldn't :-D

It is absolute atrocious, demonic shit of the worst kind. It fails to come within a hundred thousand miles of what makes the arcade version so great. It looks bad, it sounds worse. It's hurtfully, achingly bad. And then on top of that, I think of little 12 year-old me, excitedly unwrapping it on Christmas morning, eagerly loading it up .... fuck.

It's rumoured that US Gold weren't given any source code to port for the Amiga version, so had to recreate it by taking off-screen photographs, recording sounds and guessing how the game actually worked. If you play it, you'll find that all too believable.

Watch at your own risk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8biwhjXvjo

RS4-

The Third Strike hate brigade has arrived and is fully loaded up on crazy pills I see.

On topic; Street Fighter 2 and Mega man X are probably the most critically formative games of my life; it cannot be stated enough how important this game is to me.

Third Strike is fuckin incredible though and I don't know what you haters are smoking.

Remember, it's because people can parry everything without fail.

Pompadour

I'm only counting playable characters as unplayable opponents don't really count towards the "value proposition" of a fighter. But if you want to include them, sure, and let's include the 12/13 unplayable opponents in SFV's story mode too.

You can't get anywhere with that argument. Clearly SFV has more content but once you get people to concede that they'll simply move the goal posts and say "Well, it should have more content. It was released in 2016 for $60. But it was still too little compared X game I also don't play."

You mean a game that anyone could play with out having to worry about 17 hit combos, v triggers, ultimates, supers, juggles.

A game like SF2? Absolutely, it's no surprise the more complex the genre got the more people stopped purchasing the games.

No, it wouldn't be more successful. Otherwise Divekick would be the best selling fighting game of all time.

SF2 is too complex for most people now. Street Fighter 2 was a success because it was revolutionary, not because it was simple. The fighting game genre took a big hit, in general, when arcade games didn't automatically have the most powerful hardware. Spending all your power on two characters and a background using superior arcade hardware vs. spending it on a character and an entire level using an SNES or PS1 hardware made arcade fighting games the best looking games, period. Once console hardware became the best, aside from PC, and AAA games were born fighting games lost the hook they had on casual players. That has a lot to do with the shrinking prevalence of fighting games.

I dig SFIII3S because of its art, music, and aesthetic but I'm sure if I played it competitively I would like the game less, lol.

Pompadour

I dig SFIII3S because of its art, music, and aesthetic but I'm sure if I played it competitively I would like the game less, lol.

I think just about everyone that puts a lot of time into a single fighting game starts to like it less. The flaws become more and more apparent.

But yeah, I agree. In addition to what you said, the characters are a joy to control. They feel so responsive compared to later SF games.

You can't get anywhere with that argument. Clearly SFV has more content but once you get people to concede that they'll simply move the goal posts and say "Well, it should have more content. It was released in 2016 for $60. But it was still too little compared X game I also don't play."

No, it wouldn't be more successful. Otherwise Divekick would be the best selling fighting game of all time.

SF2 is too complex for most people now. Street Fighter 2 was a success because it was revolutionary, not because it was simple. The fighting game genre took a big hit, in general, when arcade games didn't automatically have the most powerful hardware. Spending all your power on two characters and a background using superior arcade hardware vs. spending it on a character and an entire level using an SNES or PS1 hardware made arcade fighting games the best looking games, period. Once console hardware became the best, aside from PC, and AAA games were born fighting games lost the hook they had on casual players. That has a lot to do with the shrinking prevalence of fighting games.
Knew I should have added more to my post before that old argument was used. Divekick is fun to play with a buddy for 15 minutes but that's about it.

I still think the audience shrunk because the games asked too much of the audience as far as new mechanics.

Ensoul

Guys, no throws, they're cheap.

I have vivid memories of my time with SF2. I've seen fights break out over "cheap" tactics, lines taking 30 mins to get through, and the explosion of the fighting genre. Nobody really played Zangief, and so many people thought Ken was better than Ryu. Figuring out how to play and eventually winning against people was the best part of my childhood.

That and using the short with Ken and Ryu. Although using throws with Zangief were accepted where I was because he was a tough character to use.

It is absolute atrocious, demonic shit of the worst kind. It fails to come within a hundred thousand miles of what makes the arcade version so great. It looks bad, it sounds worse. It's hurtfully, achingly bad. And then on top of that, I think of little 12 year-old me, excitedly unwrapping it on Christmas morning, eagerly loading it up .... fuck.

It's rumoured that US Gold weren't given any source code to port for the Amiga version, so had to recreate it by taking off-screen photographs, recording sounds and guessing how the game actually worked. If you play it, you'll find that all too believable.

What the hell did I just watch...

This game is fucked. I have no idea what's going on. Hit boxes might as well not exist. The sound is horrible. The background music makes no sense. They play Ken's theme in Dhalsim's stage... And Ryu's theme in Chun-Li's stage.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.png

B3il

Now, pretend REALLY HARD that it's as good as the arcade version, and the SNES version all your rich friends are playing. Merry Christmas!

Oh yeah and watch out for Dhalsim's 9-hit unblockable roundhouse fire button slide attack. OP as fuck. :D

The first version of SF2 I played was the snes version second release with the 'boss' characters playable, the snes was owned by the neighbour of a good friend at the time so we would only get a chance to play it a few times before he moved away.

I remember renting the MD version and because I only had a 3 button controller I had to press start to toggle punch and kicks, it was not the same so I never rented it again after that.

B3il

That's another thing, would there have ever been six-button controllers for home consoles, were if not for SF2? What other game of the time needed one?

Was the SNES controller designed, in part, to support ports of SF2? I wouldn't be surprised.

That's another thing, would there have ever been six-button controllers for home consoles, were if not for SF2? What other game of the time needed one?

Was the SNES controller designed, in part, to support ports of SF2? I wouldn't be surprised.

The snes was originally released in japan in 1990 so no

Ensoul

Anybody remember using the gamegenie for the SNES to alter the game? I remember getting my EGM every month and hoping there would be some code to play as the bosses. Well one say I got my magazine and there was. It was a headline in the magazine actually.

It worked, kind of. You could play as the bosses but I remember the bosses were messed up and it actually crashed the game. It was fun for the 5 minutes it worked though.

B3il

Anybody remember using the gamesgenie for the SNES to alter the game? I remember getting my EGM every month and hoping there would be some code to play as the bosses. Well one say I got my magazine and there was. It was a headline in the magazine actually.

It worked, kind of. You could play as the bosses but I remember the bosses were messed up and it actually crashed the game. It was fun for the 5 minutes it worked though.

I remember using a cheat device to alter the background palette on Ryu's stage, and make the characters catch fire when hit, so I could pause it on a Ken dragon punch, and fool my brother that I had Super Street Fighter 2.

EDIT: turned out he didn't give a shit.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I remember making the local rounds back the day. Way Back then you didn't need to go to the arcade since almost every other conerstore, 7/11 or laundromat had a Street Fight II machine.

Remember trying to beat the game with all perfects to fight Shen Long. Getting Chun Li to "throw the brackets" and the Gulie Handcuff glitch. I was the first game I cut class to play at a KFC back in like 94.

Kneefoil

Street Fighter II is one of the few games that I feel like I never wanna play again just because I've played so many various versions of it so much. It's still a fun game and definitely deserving of its status as the grand daddy of modern fighters, but I'll stick to modern fighters that have since improved upon it.

Looks top quality in my eyes.

eso76

SF2 was such a huge success 1vs1 fighters started infesting the arcades. People loved them until they finally got tired of them, but by then there was nothing else to play.

And, this, my friends, is how arcades died.

j/k

Amiga and DOS players were much better off playing Body Blows.

eh, i disagree.
It was certainly a much more polished title, but as bad as SF2 porting was, it still retained enough of the original to be the better game.
Body blows was utterly useless.

(just watched bits of that YT longplay and it doesn't even look as bad as i remembered but holy shit at that screen :D)

Top Bottom