• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior made its arcade debut 26 years ago

I still get extremely nostalgic from the World Warrior version despite playing SF2 to death. I can do the latter versions, especially the ones that have the CPS2 sound just fine, but the CPS1 sound and the vanilla sprites instill a strong sense of nostalgia. Booting up the game or seeing it in a YouTube longplay, every time the sound comes on (especially Chun Li's theme, since she tends to be one of the earliest opponents) I get taken back to my childhood when my grandpa owned an arcade in his small town and I'd get to play occasionally. It was next to a bar and billiards so every time I hear the sounds of World Warrior SF2 I start to vividly remember the lingering scent of alcohol and cigarettes. Which makes perfect sense because olfactory memory is actually extremely strong in humans.

There's no other game that triggers that kind of nostalgia. I love it just for that reason alone.

EDIT: I also got this guide for free due to some random promotion, even though I never had a home console version of it:
51mCIdllJvL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm gonna see if I can hunt down a PDF of it because that'll be one amazing trip down memory lane. I perused that guide for no reason for a shitload of time.

Make this thread in another 4 years. 26? You're driving me crazy! :p

That said, I have many great memories about this game. Some fallouts between friends as well though as salt is not a new thing.

Nocturno999

I still remember walking in my town's arcade and the first thing I watched was Blanka biting Guile. I thought it looked similar to Final Fight but still blew me away.
I thought at first that it was a waste of money since losing against a real opponent would mean losing your quarter. I remember a Guile player with a long streak
that was just sitting waiting for people to jump and flash kick them. I got my first victory against him and never looked back.

I played SF1 back then. I still remember how intimidating a machine with six buttons looked considering most arcade games were 2 buttons. SF2 was a quantum leap in every aspect.

The impact this game had on every fighting game since cannot be understated.

It is easily in the top 5 most influential games of all time. The fighting genre barely existed before SF2. After that, the genre exploded, conquering arcades and consoles alike.

If you weren't alive in the 90s, it's difficult to explain the impact. I've heard the arrival of SF2 to gaming compared to the arrival of Nirvana to pop music, and I'd say the comparison is pretty apt.

rec0ded1

Real fights would break out, people would mash buttons and win, we would search high and low for quarters. friend and I would wake up at 5:30 am to play at a liquor store at 6am and have the machine all to ourselves for a good 2 hours. 26 years and I still suck at playing SF.

morpix

Real fights would break out, people would mash buttons and win, we would search high and low for quarters. friend and I would wake up at 5:30 am to play at a liquor store at 6am and have the machine all to ourselves for a good 2 hours. 26 years and I still suck at playing SF.

My cousin and I used to collect scrap metal from my dads workshop and exchange it at a scrap metal place for a few South African Rands.
Which turned into two handfuls of 20c coins which we burned on SF2 and Samurai Shodown at the local arcade. Good times.

legit sf2 had more content than SFV did on its release right? ��

Uh...no?

Crazy! I have fond memories of playing this in the arcade back in the day.
street-fighter-2-1.gif

https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/828750990979457025
To think, we've never seen those two guys since.

max01.jpg

Name: Max
Height: 187cm
Height: 93kg
Bloodtype: A
Birthdate: April 1
Birthplace: America
Dislikes: Plain and boring things

scott01.jpg

Name: Scott
Height: 191cm
Weight: 95kg
Bloodtype: B
Birthdate: September 10
Dislikes: Hairy caterpillars

http://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column/130285
http://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column/130286

WorldHero

Kudos to the game that got me into fighters. I remember salivating at EGMs screen shots in the grocery store and begging my folks for quarters every time we went to the mall just to get my ass kicked by some "big kid". I even remember letting someone put Guile's handcuffs (glitch obviously) on me and getting frustrated because I couldn't get my character back moving.

Ahh the days!

Elbereth

The game changed my life... This time can never, ever be replicated.

What this game did for the gaming scene/the arcade scene/the culture... You really just had to be there.

Uh...no?

max01.jpg

Name: Max
Height: 187cm
Height: 93kg
Bloodtype: A
Birthdate: April 1
Dislikes: Plain and boring things

scott01.jpg

Name: Scott
Height: 191cm
Weight: 95kg
Bloodtype: B
Birthdate: September 10
Dislikes: Hairy caterpillars

http://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column/130285
http://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column/130286

Max is an npc in SFV story mode right?

There's a 3D model and everything

mqdefault.jpg

It is easily in the top 5 most influential games of all time. The fighting genre barely existed before SF2. After that, the genre exploded, conquering arcades and consoles alike.

If you weren't alive in the 90s, it's difficult to explain the impact. I've heard the arrival of SF2 to gaming compared to the arrival of Nirvana to pop music, and I'd say the comparison is pretty apt.

That's a pretty good comparison. The game huge at the time. The arcades were starting to fade out at this point, but this game brought in new life to them.

I'm trying to track down an original arcade cabinet for my home barcade, but it's proving difficult.

I am in love with this arcade game. I have very fond memories of it and I was better at it than any other game in history. I literally almost couldn't lose lol

morpix

Did anyone mash nickels with a hammer to make them quarter sized?

Drilled a tiny hole in a 20c (South African) coin and tied wool around it. Deposit it just enough to register a credit, then pull it out. We were living just above the poverty line back then.
I've paid my reparations though... I bought the SFV Season Pass and Capcom Cup DLC

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I thought it was called Street Fighter II World Warrior's not The World Warrior

Here's the 'censored' Sega Genesis/ Mega Drive intro for you:

LfU1iE2.gif

26 years ago, I was 10 years old. I must have seen that intro so many times as a kid, and I never once noticed the racial tones. All I saw was a guy punch another guy in the head. I didn't really notice it until the colour palette swap of the one guy in the Genesis version.

I remember seeing SF2 in arcades back in the day, there used to be huge gatherings of teens/ people huddled around these machines and watching people fight. It was a thing for a while... until Mortal Kombat came in and stole SF2's thunder.
Crazy! I have fond memories of playing this in the arcade back in the day.
street-fighter-2-1.gif

https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/828750990979457025

Looking back, that's one of the most racist things ever put in a videogame. This looks like the warm up to a 1950s lynching. All they had to do was add a few more black people throughout the crowd but that would have been going against the code, apparently

Sad that I can't say Japanese devs have gotten any better in the last 26 years when it comes to that.

Always preferred SF to MK. I liked beating opponents like a kung fu movie, not straight up murdering them like some kind of fetish.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Holy fuck I feel old.

I still remember playing this the day it hit my local arcade. It was awesome. Nobody knew what the hell they were doing.

I won my first match as Ken by flying knee to a Guile player that had just learned the pimp slap.

First part of EGM's first strategy guide

DsQihOL.jpg

Edit: second part.

9XXkL76.jpg

Edit 2: later this evening I'll post the SFII content from this issue:

pSILGmc.jpg

That's one of my favorite magazine covers, ever.

Bruh did EGM really try to pull the wool over reader's eyes by pretending Ryu and Ken weren't literal clones? The fuck is Ken's berserker rage?

Bruh did EGM really try to pull the wool over reader's eyes by pretending Ryu and Ken weren't literal clones? The fuck is Ken's berserker rage?

lol They had no idea what they were talking about.

To be fair, they were probably making close to minimum wage back in those days.

Spladam

I still have that copy of EGM in a box in the attic. So many quarters blown on that game, it was my first arcade fighting game love, the first time I experienced how cool it was to play for free if you won.

Sheng Long was by far my favorite character though.

Play it online right now here.

dcx4610

This post just inspired me go back to my original idea of beating every single Street Fighter game in Arcade/Story mode with Ken just to say I've done it.

I just finished beating Street Fighter 1 for the first time ever. Adon and Sagat are monsters. You just have to get lucky that your special moves go off. I couldn't imagine pumping quarters in the machine to beat them considering you literally last 3 seconds if Sagat hits you. It was infuriating enough being free.

dcx4610

To be fair, this was based off of a glitch that made Ken's cyclone hit more than once and also a bug that made Ryu's attacks weaker. They ran with the bug in the sequels which further expanded Ken being a loose canon with Ryu being more technical with one hit knockdowns.

Ferrio

Banned
This post just inspired me go back to my original idea of beating every single Street Fighter game in Arcade/Story mode with Ken just to say I've done it.

I just finished beating Street Fighter 1 for the first time ever. Adon and Sagat are monsters. You just have to get lucky that your special moves go off. I couldn't imagine pumping quarters in the machine to beat them considering you literally last 3 seconds if Sagat hits you. It was infuriating enough being free.

I don't remember ever getting farther than Birdie in the arcade. So many quarters lost.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
My grade in math actually dropped that spring because it was my last class of the day and I would just space out mentally going through moves and combos in preparation for going to the arcade on the way home every day. SF2 was a way of life then. Met tons of people I would never have known otherwise, many of whom I never saw again after the arcade scene wound down.

Varth

Yup, and these were the very first screenshots I ever saw of Street Fighter II: The World Warrior:

My First One had Ken performing his standing fierce kick on Blanka. It was in a frame where it looks like he has his leg mounted backward.

I remember thinking: wow, characters are big, just like Street Smart, but holy shit graphic are bad. Cant even draw a Human body correct!

I would the proceed to play this more than any other game in my Life.

dcx4610

I remember studying that EGM magazine posted in the thread like a test. I had every move and character memorized months before I even saw the game. As luck would have it, we had a school field trip and strangely, the rest stop we visited had a Street Fighter II cabinet and I couldn't believe my eyes. I was instantly hooked and wrecking kids because I knew the moves. It started an obsession with arcades and fighting games.

It was an incredible social experience meeting people of all ages, races and walks of life. Something like that will never be repeated and I will cherish those memories forever.

Top Bottom