• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT| No Options to Select

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

How do you stop non stop cross up jump ins as Necali? I feel like I have to just stay their and block non stop or neutral jump something. Does he have a anti air button? I can't believe the stuff I lose to in this game. A 5 year old pressing buttons can kill me in this game.

Standing jab is probably your best normal in that specific case. Crouching HP will not be fast enough to stop a cross-up. You can also go for late autocorrect DP. Otherwise if they're really doing it consistently (like crossup, normal, normal, forward jump, etc) you can preemptively go for air-to-air with LK or HK, or an aggressive HP/EX DP.

How do you stop non stop cross up jump ins as Necali? I feel like I have to just stay their and block non stop or neutral jump something. Does he have a anti air button? I can't believe the stuff I lose to in this game. A 5 year old pressing buttons can kill me in this game.

I find his lp dp works decent. It travels almost straight up so it catches those a little better.

You have the best walk speed in the game - adjust your position.

Standing jab is probably your best normal in that specific case. Crouching HP will not be fast enough to stop a cross-up. You can also go for late autocorrect DP. Otherwise if they're really doing it consistently (like crossup, normal, normal, forward jump, etc) you can preemptively go for air-to-air with LK or HK, or an aggressive HP/EX DP.
You sticking with Bison man?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Everytime I bitch, I get a couple of matches. I'm okay with this. =)

I'm in the Southwest US so maybe that doesn't help? I don't know. =x

wrongway

You cant use the FM yet so theres no rush to do them. Thats my logic for only having done 3 so far
Oh for sure, I'd just think that with all the commotion over the lack of single-player content there would be more people out there actually doing it. That, and the flakiness of matchmaking.

I've been getting matches regularly for several days now on ps4, no real server problems to speak of. I think it's a region issue. East coast usa's where I am.

I'm in the southwest myself. Seems pretty good for now, though not as good as it was in beta. I don't have much of a sample size to go on though, I haven't had much play time this week. :[

Wallach

You sticking with Bison man?

Honestly I don't know yet. I've been pretty busy and haven't even taken Necalli online or anything. Do like the character, though. Still like Bison quite a bit but it is nice playing a character with an actual reversal and slightly better AA game (and still has that capacity to maul people).

LiK

Man, HRAP4 can't come soon enough. Not sure what's wrong with my PS3 fightstick but even playing against AI, sometimes the input seems delayed or not even registering. It's the SFIV TE stick I got way back but it hasn't been used in years. I wonder if the parts are kinda fucked from neglect.

I'm sure it's been asked a thousand times, but it isn't in the FAQ, so...

Any thoughts on the best PC/PS4 cross-compatible stick? Am I pretty much looking at using JoyInKey or some other after-market configuration program no matter what, given the state of PS3/PS4 and Xinput? Any pertinent reviews from people using the PS4 sticks to play SFV on PC I should check out?

Windforce

As a chun player my advice would be to just always block low and punish her jumps as her overhead is awful and unreliable. She also doesn't have many great reversal options so pressure her after knockdowns, but watch out for EX sbk.

Thanks. I noticed indeed Chun gets way too much damage if she hits me low, say, with a cr.MK then she links to SBK or legs. grrr. The overhead hits once and I don't think she can continue after it so you have a good point.

Anytime I see a fellow Ryu bro's call out for help, I want to be there and be like "here is what I know, hope it helps". But man, this is one of those match ups that has left me confused. I liked it at first before people discovered just how good Chun was.

Best advice I can tell you right now is to try and play a keep away game. I don't know if that's really the best method but it's the one I'm using right now. She destroys Ryu upclose so I feel his best chance is to play a fireball zoning game with good anti air. Don't be afraid to approach her and poke back, try to get in and out though as staying in that up close zone doesn't seem to be in Ryu's favor. St. MK is your best weapon as she approaches. Mix in cr. MK and st. LK as well as they're all useful tools to try and keep her out and gain some damage. You have to be patient and limit mistakes or she will make you pay for it.

Or wait until Daigo and Bonchan get god like at this game and we can all gather around a camp fire watching their matches against good Chun's and break down their strategy if they're doing good.

Thanks. I guess I gave up too quickly on the fireballs because of her cr.MP. I'll try that. Is st.MK okay indeed? How about her b.HP ("hey"), can't that crush counter it?

KTO

Man, HRAP4 can't come soon enough. Not sure what's wrong with my PS3 fightstick but even playing against AI, sometimes the input seems delayed or not even registering. It's the SFIV TE stick I got way back but it hasn't been used in years. I wonder if the parts are kinda fucked from neglect.

Yeah i've had issues when using my PS3 stick where i couldn't use any kick buttons or the up direction. Basically made it impossible to win with chun, but unplugging and reauthenticating seems to fix it and i can jump onto my ds4 mid round if i have to.

Thanks. I noticed indeed Chun gets way too much damage if she hits me low, say, with a cr.MK then she links to SBK or legs. grrr. The overhead hits once and I don't think she can continue after it so you have a good point.

Not only that, but I think you could react to the startup and hit her out of it pretty easily. it's a really bad move. once you take that away from her she has to jump at you, or dash in and throw and you can beat both of those with a DP.

Zomba13

I legitimately think the thing that will kill this game for me is how long it takes to get out of a match. Like, I know it's not long, but after loss after loss after loss and just having to wait at the end of a round to be able to go back to spending minutes waiting for another match it just pisses me off and demoralises me.

They go through the effort of trying to cut down time to match by letting you search while doing anything else and cut out the stage/character select screens but they still keep unskippable post match screens.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Excited to try Rashid today after the Birdie experiment was a semi-dud. I would ask for pointers but that feels pointless as I havent even tried the character yet, I have no feel for his normals, the differences in specials with different buttons etc.

Ill ask the experts tonight I guess :)

Wallach

Have you tried punishing it with Bison's st.HP? It's minus 12, I don't think there's a character who can't punish it, even at max range.

This is what I use vs most sweeps (usually st.HP xx HK DKP incase I don't react fast enough), haven't tried it specifically on Chun at max range though.

Should you play story mode before leveling up characters to get the most fight money?

I don't think it matters, you'll get the same about of XP out of Story regardless since they're fixed values.

LiK

Yeah i've had issues when using my PS3 stick where i couldn't use any kick buttons or the up direction. Basically made it impossible to win with chun, but unplugging and reauthenticating seems to fix it and i can jump onto my ds4 mid round if i have to.

Yea, something seems wrong with it. I know I'm rusty but I'm not that bad. Just not doing the moves when I want. Hope it's the stick and not me, heh

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
If someone is constantly jumping over you so that your anti-air normals don't work, you can jump back and go air-to-air (try to find a normal that works best in training mode) or dash under the jump and reset the situation.

Have you tried punishing it with Bison's st.HP or EX Knee Press? It's minus 12, I don't think there's a character who can't punish it, even at max range.
I haven't, but I have a feeling that Bison is too far away. If it wasn't that good, Ortiz wouldn't have been spamming it vs. Wong tonight.

EX Scissors is 12 startup, so it can't punish.

Sayad

This is what I use vs most sweeps (usually st.HP xx HK DKP incase I don't react fast enough), haven't tried it specifically on Chun at max range though.
Holly shit I forgot Bison can cancel st.HP!
9ovvu0I.gif

Never sweeping Bison again. And yes, he can punish Chun's.

EX Scissors is 12 startup, so it can't punish.
Pretty sure it punishes it, just trying it in training mode, either EX Knee is 11 or Chun's sweep is minus 13 because it only punish it as a reversal.

Wallach

Holly shit I forgot Bison can cancel st.HP!
9ovvu0I.gif

Never sweeping Bison again. And yes, he can punish Chun's.

Yeah, it's more damage to cancel into Inferno but obviously you need to be sure it punishes since Inferno is unsafe. Blast also is safe (and plus) but leaves you with worse screen position.

It's 11f though so you can't get some sweeps that are -10 like Necalli.

wrongway

Aw man, I finally saw that preorder Cammy alt outfit in action tonight. I really wish PC had gotten an option on which alt to get. Hopefully it'll be available through regular channels later. :[

Yeah, it's more damage to cancel into Inferno but obviously you need to be sure it punishes since Inferno is unsafe. Blast also is safe (and plus) but leaves you with worse screen position.

It's 11f though so you can't get some sweeps that are -10 like Necalli.
Psycho Inferno is too slow. I just checked the frame data.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Aw man, I finally saw that preorder Cammy alt outfit in action tonight. I really wish PC had gotten an option on which alt to get. Hopefully it'll be available through regular channels later. :[

I'm 100% sure it will be in the in game store

tariniel

I somehow managed to go all this time without encountering a rage quitter, and then I got 4 of them in the last 2 hours. None of them had high streaks (2-3 games max), the only commonality was that they all had 500-1000 more points than I did.

I guess they're afraid of losing more than usual since I'm lower ranked than they were? I was hovering around 1700 all night and all quitters had 2000+. The fucked up thing is I'd have made it to silver if they didn't quit. But I'm only at 1800 now. Hopefully Capcom does something about it soon.

Next time someone quits I'm going to write their name down, so if I ever get them again I'll just alt-f4 at the start and save myself the time and energy.

Thanks. I guess I gave up too quickly on the fireballs because of her cr.MP. I'll try that. Is st.MK okay indeed? How about her b.HP ("hey"), can't that crush counter it?

Without Super she has no way around fireball from more than mid screen so you have to utilize fireballs to keep her at bay. If you don't then she'll just bully you by throwing her slow fireball and use it to approach safely or bait you into DP's because you don't wan to take her pressure. You have to be careful of the range in which you throw those fireballs. She has very long normals like st. MP, st. HP, st. MK, and sweep that can easily crush counter you at mid range. Then she has that cr. MP(the slide move) that's pretty effective at punishing from mid screen.

When she gets in close enough, either you need to back off or take the fight to her. Try to pay attention to what she's doing when she is close to you, is she sitting back in block range waiting for you or continuing to approach. If she wants in then those are opportunities for you to poke her. Against a patient Chun I'll just back off a bit and continue throwing fireballs and looking for jumps.

Can't say my win rate has been good though since the game came out and all this new Chun tech has been available but hopefully this helps a little until better strategies become available.

Rhaknar

If you put weird keys in your ID you might have a hard time being found btw

I still cant add Madridista because his ID has - in it (-NAME-)

Post Office

Neo Member
Excited to try Rashid today after the Birdie experiment was a semi-dud. I would ask for pointers but that feels pointless as I havent even tried the character yet, I have no feel for his normals, the differences in specials with different buttons etc.

Ill ask the experts tonight I guess :)

You should check out Alex Valle's Rashid on youtube. Its helped me a lot learning some tricks with Rashid.

https://youtu.be/eyEQz3kyafQ

Edzi

Heh, I think something is funky with the matchmaking. I went on a losing streak as Ultra Bronze, and the game decides to start matching me with Silver and above. A few losses later, and I'm back down to 1200 LP.

Windforce

Without Super she has no way around fireball from more than mid screen so you have to utilize fireballs to keep her at bay. If you don't then she'll just bully you by throwing her slow fireball and use it to approach safely or bait you into DP's because you don't wan to take her pressure. You have to be careful of the range in which you throw those fireballs. She has very long normals like st. MP, st. HP, st. MK, and sweep that can easily crush counter you at mid range. Then she has that cr. MP(the slide move) that's pretty effective at punishing from mid screen.

When she gets in close enough, either you need to back off or take the fight to her. Try to pay attention to what she's doing when she is close to you, is she sitting back in block range waiting for you or continuing to approach. If she wants in then those are opportunities for you to poke her. Against a patient Chun I'll just back off a bit and continue throwing fireballs and looking for jumps.

Can't say my win rate has been good though since the game came out and all this new Chun tech has been available but hopefully this helps a little until better strategies become available.

I get it. This is solid advice. You have described exactly what tends to happen in my matchups. When I give up on my fireballs, she gets those slow kikokens on screen and comes dashing/vskill jumping shielded by them and forcing me to block and then everything goes to hell. lol. Kinda shitty situation tbh.

tyvm I'll keep this in mind and get some practice against her.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Damn log ride, good games! Sorry I wasnt switching from Ken, Im just trying to get to know him better. Your all around game is pretty damn good, that Sim is beastly.

I feel like I was getting the hang of it towards the end, its so easy to eat massive damage in this game, footsies are pretty important in this one.

"Psycho Inferno is too slow. I just checked the frame data."

I don't think you understood him, you punish with St.fierce xx Inferno, which definitely does work except at absolutely (like to the pixel) max range where inferno will whiff.

Edit: Beaten.

Damn log ride, good games! Sorry I wasnt switching from Ken, Im just trying to get to know him better. Your all around game is pretty damn good, that Sim is beastly.

I feel like I was getting the hang of it towards the end, its so easy to eat massive damage in this game, footsies are pretty important in this one.

Good games, man! Lots of really close rounds. Could have gone either way, really.

Anyone else up for some FT3s? I'm looking to do a couple before calling it a night.

edit: cfn = thelogride (west coast US)

Wallach

I don't think you understood him, you punish with St.fierce xx Inferno, which definitely does work except at absolutely (like to the pixel) max range where inferno will whiff.

Edit: Beaten.

This is a good point, though; if you do block a max range Chun sweep, even though stHP still reaches with the pushback you'll be just out of range for Inferno to land. While it's unlikely for them to actually get this true max range it's probably best to just get used to doing stHP xx HK DKP (especially since you can get a trivial VT activation confirmation off HK DKP for getting enormous punishes). Edit - by trivial I just mean that VT cancel off DKP does not require timing, you can input it any time during DKP's animation and you will get first frame VT cancel once DKP ends.

SSReborn

What general strategies have you guys been using against the Dhalsim fireball, teleport high punch mixup? Have been having a pretty difficult time coming up with a way to counter it in the heat of the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom