• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

February 14 would be the perfect day to release Helen: it's her canonical birthday, it's roughly the 20th anniversary of Street Fighter III, and it's a Tuesday (the typical update day).
But we were told that the reveal is this week.

Ryce

Ah, but isn't she supposed to be demoed at the Lupe Fiasco event?
I'm not sure; the wording is too ambiguous to be definitive.

"This year, we’re returning to the same venue 1 year later to celebrate both the release of Lupe’s highly anticipated album, DROGAS Light, the Capcom Pro Tour and Street Fighter V Season 2’s newest character, coming later this month."

myco666

The story mode models aren't detailed enough to transplant into being playable. They are maybe 1/4 or less of the size of a playable character.
They aren't? Well then there is even more work involved.

We've already seen this with the stage Alex and playable Alex. You pretty much need to make a new model.

Stage Alex is real rough though. Like it looks garbage at close. Helen looks as good as other characters in story mode from what I remember.

Dahbomb

Piano isn't hard to do but it's one of those things that greatly favors stick vs pad players. I kinda like that SFV has been thus far very pad friendly and we have seen players like KnuckleDu, Smug, Wolfkrone and Takeuchi proliferate. Not that they weren't doing well in SF4 before but these things help out the next Smug/Du in the making.

Edzi

Piano isn't hard to do but it's one of those things that greatly favors stick vs pad players. I kinda like that SFV has been thus far very pad friendly and we have seen players like KnuckleDu, Smug, Wolfkrone and Takeuchi proliferate. Not that they weren't doing well in SF4 before but these things help out the next Smug/Du in the making.

Aren't things like Balrog's TAP where you have to hold down 2 buttons better for pad players?

MrCarter

yeah, we'll see...just seems like the hype died down from my POV.

And I think all new characters is a mistake. Mixture reaches a broader audience IMO.

I disagree. New characters keeps things fresh and we have to remember most of the 3rd Strike cast was new at one point and now they are loved by many. SFIV had all of the original SF2 characters so they can wait until S3 and onwards.

Dahbomb

Aren't things like Balrog's TAP where you have to hold down 2 buttons better for pad players?
Not necessarily because it depends on the two buttons you want to hold down and what you have mapped to a back button. Like if you want to be holding down LK plus HK that's a bit awkward on pad so you end up restricting yourself.

MrCarter

I fail to see how that would be a budget season pass. Those are all new characters and require more work than just bringing back a returning character. The 3D models they have in the game are basic and would pretty much require brand new models anyways, and they have no existing skill set to draw from.

Yeah I don't understand how new characters, with new animations and move sets suddenly become a "budget cast". If anything, it would have cost them more time and money to get these characters right as they are all original.

When we get Helen, I do hope she gets a slight change in her design though.

There's just something about her look that just feels...lacking.

Maybe just seeing her actually fight will change my mind.

Pachinko

Yeah I don't understand how new characters, with new animations and move sets suddenly become a "budget cast". If anything, it would have cost them more time and money to get these characters right as they are all original.

My personal theory - A half completed story model takes less work to bring up to playable level then making something from scratch. The Helen model in story mode isn't some sloppy "Alex working on his truck" deal , it's at least as detailed as Nadesico (who still has a pretty high poly head) As for animations , well I've a theory that a lot of rigging work from USF4 omega mode was carried over to the SFV engine. Things can be mixed and matched depending on what's needed and to save time and this money, totally new animations are kept to a minimum. In this way , it's entirely possible that these "brand new characters" will play like a mix and match of previous fighters that weren't super popular in their own.

I could be 100% incorrect here and in a way I hope I am actually. I would love if the remaining 4 "newbies" are 100% new but .... this is Capcom so I steady myself for the laziest possible additions while also hoping for something more exciting.

----
And to continue - it sounds like Helen is somewhere in between Poison/fei long/Rose. The ice projectile will be brand new at the very least but her Vtrigger sounds like a variation of Dhalsims. Everything about that playstyle sounds right up my alley so I'm excited to try her out, assuming this leaks/rumors hold true.

Azam I feel will replace T.Hawk while adding a wind theme similar to Rashid.

Byron could be a rushdown variation of Guile/Nash using normals similar to Dudley , perhaps even Abel style tackles ?

Satsuki could actually be unique , similar to Cammy but harder hitting and slower , have a vtiggger that pops out her sword and places her in a counter stance .

Violent Ken would just be a lower health Ken with more damage and tweaked tatsus , faster too.

Ryce

As for animations , well I've a theory that a lot of rigging work from USF4 omega mode was carried over to the SFV engine. Things can be mixed and matched depending on what's needed and to save time and this money, totally new animations are kept to a minimum. In this way , it's entirely possible that these "brand new characters" will play like a mix and match of previous fighters that weren't super popular in their own.
There are zero SFIV assets in SFV. The game was created from the ground up, animations included, just like every other numbered Street Fighter game.

Neoxon

There are zero SFIV assets in SFV. The game was created from the ground up, animations included, just like every other numbered Street Fighter game.
Yup. If Capcom did build off of USFIV Omega, we would have had more characters in the base roster. Instead they started from zero, resulting in a base roster comparable to the arcade release of SFIV. Comparing Ryu or even Chun-Li's animations to their SFIV counterparts clearly show that their SFV animations were built from scratch.

MrCarter

My personal theory - A half completed story model takes less work to bring up to playable level then making something from scratch. The Helen model in story mode isn't some sloppy "Alex working on his truck" deal , it's at least as detailed as Nadesico (who still has a pretty high poly head) As for animations , well I've a theory that a lot of rigging work from USF4 omega mode was carried over to the SFV engine. Things can be mixed and matched depending on what's needed and to save time and this money, totally new animations are kept to a minimum. In this way , it's entirely possible that these "brand new characters" will play like a mix and match of previous fighters that weren't super popular in their own.

I could be 100% incorrect here and in a way I hope I am actually. I would love if the remaining 4 "newbies" are 100% new but .... this is Capcom so I steady myself for the laziest possible additions while also hoping for something more exciting.

You are 100% incorrect. Story mode models are just that. Story mode models. Even if they did use them as a base for the characters they could be using in gameplay, that is perfectly fine, as they obviously worked on those models in the first place. SFIV is MT Framework while SFV is Unreal Engine 4 - nothing was ported over.

Uhh, just because a model is lower definition doesn't mean it's "sloppy"; the bg alex is perfectly appropriate for the role it needed to fill, the work itself is anything but sloppy, that's just an insult to the artist.

Also there is no way any "rigging work" from usf4 carried over, because that's not how rigging works, a rig is 100% exclusive to whatever it's "rigged" to and the rig is in accordance to what the engine supports; you can't just take one skeleton tailored to one engine and just put it in a completely different engine and expect it to work (without a bunch of work to the engine).

And even if you did that, skeletons are unique, which is why if you swap birdie's model with cammy's, it turns into a hidiously deformed beast. So unless usf4 models are 1:1 in proportion with SF5 models (they aren't) then you'd have to edit the skeleton anyway, which in turn fucks with animations on it; all this retooling and converting really isn't worth the trouble.

Also the animations in SF5 were made by people that are clearly excellent animators, going through so many animations and "cleaning" them up so they fit the "footprint" of the new style, might actually be more work than starting from scratch.

tl;dr No they didn't reuse shit from usf4 smh.

Pachinko

Man there are some hyper defensive professional 3D animators in this humble little SF thread apparently.

Whatever happens with the cast going forward , I just want fun new characters to use. So the sooner we get a trailer for Helen (or whoever) the sooner I can stop spouting apparent nonsense that makes proffesional 3D animation Gaf all salty and mad.

mbpm1

Who's salty? Truth should be spread

But more importantly, so should character info

Give us the deets haunts I know you see this

Leak the details like you leaked season 1

MrCarter

Man there are some hyper defensive professional 3D animators in this humble little SF thread apparently.

Whatever happens with the cast going forward , I just want fun new characters to use. So the sooner we get a trailer for Helen (or whoever) the sooner I can stop spouting apparent nonsense that makes proffesional 3D animation Gaf all salty and mad.

C'mon dude, try not to put your head in the sand after certain people have disagreed with you and gave you logical reasons as to why you were wrong. Nothing "defensive", "salty" or "mad" to talk about here. Just facts to counteract the false claims. I also want fun new characters and I'm looking forward to Helen/Kolin.

will SFV be great again once meterless invincible DP's come back?
It's only affected like 4 characters don't be ridiculous...the increase in 50/50, how character tiers seem to have switched around and the game doesn't seem more balanced, and a list of other things.

I'm sure you think Laura is fair and balanced tho and love the DP nerf. Everyone is biased in some way, but honestly, even without Ken being touched I would have taken a long break. This is purely coming from me watching matches now and updates. So you can save the smart remarks...

I disagree. New characters keeps things fresh and we have to remember most of the 3rd Strike cast was new at one point and now they are loved by many. SFIV had all of the original SF2 characters so they can wait until S3 and onwards.
new playstyles keep things fresh, and that can be done with returning characters. SF roster is like like 50+ at this point. I don't think adding new characters in such a gameplay focused title has any bearing on hype/freshness. It's not like anyone's backstory is important a big focus of the game.

To each their own tho...

Neoxon

I'm actually majoring in Computer Engineering & am learning UE4, hence my passion for game design (only matched by my passion for theatre, games in general, & comics).

You are 100% incorrect. Story mode models are just that. Story mode models. Even if they did use them as a base for the characters they could be using in gameplay, that is perfectly fine, as they obviously worked on those models in the first place. SFIV is MT Framework while SFV is Unreal Engine 4 - nothing was ported over.
SFIV used Dimps' in-house engine, the 3DS version of Super used MT Framework Mobile.

SFV isn't perfect, but it's by and large pretty balanced in general across the board. There's a bunch of problems, though, and some weird design decisions, but welcome to fighting games!

new playstyles keep things fresh, and that can be done with returning characters. SF roster is like like 50+ at this point. I don't think adding new characters in such a gameplay focused title has any bearing on hype/freshness. It's not like anyone's backstory is important a big focus of the game.

To each their own tho...

Change the playstyles on an existing character and people lose their shit. Even removing things from Ibuki and Alex had people in a tizzy. Akuma's new gameplan is indicative of that. It's really, really hard to try new things with existing characters because people expect them to play very similar to their previous iterations. And that's not an inherently bad thing - it's just familiarity and wanting to be comfortable. New characters let them go all out and do cool new things without being tethered to those expectations.

The hype won't be as large as say, Sagat, but it's about long term gains - if that character is hype, that's all new shit we could be seeing at tournaments. That's new gifs, videos, reactions, etc. El Fuerete was a bootylord but damn if Pepeday didn't make that shit look fun.

MrCarter

To each their own tho...

How many characters the SF franchise has is irrelevant as there is no set rule for Capcom to use those specific characters just so they can appeal to some people in the short-term. New entries in a fighting game series are not only made to evoke a sense of nostalgic "hype", they are made for new, innovative and original experiences. SF2/3/Alpha characters can wait till next season.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Have people learned nothing from all those Skullgirls developer blogposts?

edit:
The game just gave me a Guile twice (5 bars!) where I saw maybe half the frames of every animation. There was so much rollback, I think hits changed from blocked to hit to blocked again lol
FIVE BARS.

MrCarter

Eh?

Unless they are boring and shit

Then this season is uninteresting and a complete waste of money

Regardless. They still have to wait it out anyway. I'm thinking, after we get the next five characters that are new brand new to the SF universe, it's possible we might get another "classic" character at the end of this year similar to what they did last year with Akuma. Hopefully it's Sagat.

To each their own tho...

People get mad when you do that (even slightly) look at Alex and Ibuki fans. I like what they did with Alex though.

People get irked when you change what they are used to it seems. Just put the gameplay/moveset ideas in a new shell.

Edzi

People get mad when you do that (even slightly) look at Alex and Ibuki fans. I like what they did with Alex though.

People get irked when you change what they are used to it seems. Just put the gameplay/moveset ideas in a new shell.

I'm not a 3rd strike player, but from what I was hearing most people were pretty pleased with Alex's transition to V. The part we didn't like is that he wasn't that great to begin with compared to the other characters, and then in s2 he got nerfed pretty hard despite that.

Pachinko

I don't know , I just felt more than a little Ganged up on is all :p even though it wasn't written all that condescending it felt like it was "you are a complete idiot for thinking this and here's why".

For the record , I assumed character models , animations and the like were made in something like Maya or 3D studio max and then dropped into a game engine which is why I assumed it was possible to use such assets in multiple game engines.

Guys .... I just want this game to do well but it's hard to be optimistic for exciting things going forward , I mean we can all relate to that sentiment right ? At least the game is currently pretty fun as long as you don't use Fang , Alex or enjoyed invincible DPs 😎

SFV isn't perfect, but it's by and large pretty balanced in general across the board. There's a bunch of problems, though, and some weird design decisions, but welcome to fighting games!

Change the playstyles on an existing character and people lose their shit. Even removing things from Ibuki and Alex had people in a tizzy. Akuma's new gameplan is indicative of that. It's really, really hard to try new things with existing characters because people expect them to play very similar to their previous iterations. And that's not an inherently bad thing - it's just familiarity and wanting to be comfortable. New characters let them go all out and do cool new things without being tethered to those expectations.

The hype won't be as large as say, Sagat, but it's about long term gains - if that character is hype, that's all new shit we could be seeing at tournaments. That's new gifs, videos, reactions, etc. El Fuerete was a bootylord but damn if Pepeday didn't make that shit look fun.
why do you keep saying this. How is it by and large balanced when lower tiers like Alex and Fang got nerfed? It's like you guys won't be satisfied until 10 months of the game being out and a bunch of pros saying the same thing over and over again. I mean I got it, they are talented but I have a functional brain lol. I can't agree with you that 90% of the cast is balanced and fairly matched, to me that's what "by and large means"

Agree with you on the new character thing tho...I think every season should just have at least 1 vet or returning character. But it definitely does pave the way for new videos, learning, and overall newness when different gameplay styles shape up.

I think they could get away with changing up Sagat personally. He's no longer under Bison and all that jazz...

with Alex, I think he is better in V than 3S, tbh.I have more fun with him now.

I hope Haggar is in MVCI and he gets a Alex cosplay skin, with bad toupée hair.

For the record , I assumed character models , animations and the like were made in something like Maya or 3D studio max and then dropped into a game engine which is why I assumed it was possible to use such assets in multiple game engines.

This much is true, raw polygons are certainly interchangeable, but everything beyond that (even materials) can, and in most cases will, take more work to convert.

why do you keep saying this. How is it by and large balanced when lower tiers like Alex and Fang got nerfed? It's like you guys won't be satisfied until 10 months of the game being out and a bunch of pros saying the same thing over and over again. I mean I got it, they are talented but I have a functional brain lol. I can't agree with you that 90% of the cast is balanced and fairly matched, to me that's what "by and large means"

The only game that hasn't nerfed a low or mid tier character for no reason is VF5, to my knowledge. Does that make them all not balanced either?

Balance isn't about literally every character being equal with another because that's impossible considering every character has different tools. It's about if the cast as a whole is normalized enough to win bad matchups without becoming completely steamrolled. I'm not talking 6-4 or whatever. I'm talking straight 9-1's.

And don't you dare change my Sagat. I'm one of those people that'll go apeshit if he's a charge character or some goofy shit!

Kashiwaba

Agree with you on the new character thing tho...I think every season should just have at least 1 vet or returning character. But it definitely does pave the way for new videos, learning, and overall newness when different gameplay styles shape up.

I think they could get away with changing up Sagat personally. He's no longer under Bison and all that jazz...

Personally i don't see much difference from s1 to s2 from my point of view the only difference is the armies of Ryu, ken, chun and Mika changed to the armies of Urien, guile, boxer and Laura.

Pachinko

This much is true, raw polygons are certainly interchangeable, but everything beyond that (even materials) can, and in most cases will, take more work to convert.

Ah ok , so yeah it really would be just as much work to even try and drop in an existing model of any kind then , at least as far as animation is concerned. I hope this means Helen looks great in game , the other reason why I assumed story mode assets were reusable is that I found Helens actually looked pretty good , Azam and Byron too. Anyway , good luck with the schooling !

The only game that hasn't nerfed a low or mid tier character for no reason is VF5, to my knowledge. Does that make them all not balanced either?

Balance isn't about literally every character being equal with another because that's impossible considering every character has different tools. It's about if the cast as a whole is normalized enough to win bad matchups without becoming completely steamrolled. I'm not talking 6-4 or whatever. I'm talking straight 9-1's.

And don't you dare change my Sagat. I'm one of those people that'll go apeshit if he's a charge character or some goofy shit!
Fair enough, but with this system, I think SFV can really do better than that. I honestly feel like hardly any matches would have been worse than 6-4 across the board if they would have buffed more instead of nerfed. Guile is the gold standard imo.

Personally i don't see much difference from s1 to s2 from my point of view the only difference is the armies of Ryu, ken, chun and Mika changed to the armies of Urien, guile, boxer and Laura.
That's exactly why it's not more balanced to me.

S1 = 8-9 top tier, middle of the pack, 1 low tier
S2 = 8-9 top tier, middle of the pack, 2 low tier?

Only now the middle of the pack is larger cuz the roster increased. And how the standout top tier are better even more characters than before. I just felt like more buffing should have happened.

Fair enough, but with this system, I think SFV can really do better than that. I honestly feel like hardly any matches would have been worse than 6-4 across the board if they would have buffed more instead of nerfed. Guile is the gold standard imo.

Honestly, all they need to do is buff the low tiers and leave the game as it is. If they wanna be extra, throw in more defensive options.

I really want BonChan to do well this season ;_;

Village

Alex is better

Ibuki is like if David Cage designed Ibuki , its unnecessarily complicated, a lot of basic stuff is missing. And despite its complications its ultimately shallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom