• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Sayad

Balrog might be the most broken character in the game, but Urien is no doubt the most braindead in S2 (along with Laura I guess). You can pick him up and start beating Diamonds immediately with just a passing knowledge of how he works. I just lost over 60% of my life with a single random CC HP after winning the entire round in neutral, and then came the free Aegis mixups.
Seem to be the hardest of S2 OPs to do well with at high level actually! Barlog and Laura are definitely carrying their players more than Urien.

Edzi

Seem to be the hardest of S2 OPs to do well with at high level actually! Barlog and Laura are definitely carrying their players more than Urien.

Nah, I just don't think there are as many high level Uriens tbh. Plus, the professional landscape is a bit different than the general landscape we're playing in imo.

You should, and I can enlighten you on the misery fun times that is playing with F.A.N.G, the secret top tier character of this game.

Not to be confused with necalli who is actually the secret top tier character of this game.

Same boat with Nash he needs to be reverted back to season one ;_; Bonchan is a god.

Sayad

Nah, I just don't think there are as many high level Uriens tbh. Plus, the professional landscape is a bit different than the general landscape we're playing in imo.
Even players who basically place high because they play a lot of characters(see Chris G and LPN), does better with their other characters than they do with Urien.

Numb

Hope the beta works for me this time
Need Ed released early before every fighting game ever made chooses to release within the same 4 weeks

MCD250

Urien is probably, like, a hair less straight fucking busted than Necalli. Might even be a hair more, in fact.

At least they're taking away some of the more egregious bullshit with the S2.5 patch. But he's still gonna be as rock solid as, I dunno, Guile, probably.

Edzi

Even players who basically place high because they play a lot of characters(see Chris G and LPN), does better with their other characters than they do with Urien.

Because they're not Urien mains. The fact that they get so much mileage with Urien even though he's just a side character is telling imo.

Urien feels like the least bullshit character from the list of bullshit characters.

I can lose matches to Balrog, Laura or Ibuki and just want to put my controller down and delete this game cause it just felt like me dominating the match for 60-70% was utterly pointless since one hit put me into an incredibly damaging vortex where it became a literal 50/50.

At least Urien doesn't get AS easy a time of it.

Edzi

Urien feels like the least bullshit character from the list of bullshit characters.

I can lose matches to Balrog, Laura or Ibuki and just want to put my controller down and delete this game cause it just felt like me dominating the match for 60-70% was utterly pointless since one hit put me into an incredibly damaging vortex where it became a literal 50/50.

I dunno, they're all bullshit. It's better to just leave it at that.

Though I've always said that Urien at least has the makings of an honest character underneath the current balance.

HardRojo

I agree. The characters mentioned above are all BS, except Urien, at least he's an honest man and he doesn't have a command grab or easy to set-up incredibly-hard-to-block 50/50s.

Sayad

Because they're not Urien mains. The fact that they get so much mileage with Urien even though he's just a side character is telling imo.
What! LPN got more mileage with Bison and Birdie than he did with Urien, way more. The same can be said about Chris G with Ibuki. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's kinda absurd to think that in a game where so many people picked Ibuki overnight and are doing well with her, you think that wouldn't have happened to Urien if he was as easy of a win button?!

mbpm1

man, kolin is so fun. the ability to anti-air and counter in situations that would be impossible/difficult for other characters alone is still so good

Edzi

What! LPN got more mileage with Bison and Birdie than he did with Urien, way more. The same can be said about Chris G with Ibuki. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's kinda absurd to think that in a game where so many people picked Ibuki overnight and are doing well with her, you think that wouldn't have happened to Urien if he was as easy of a win button?!

I'm not disagreeing with you? I don't think you understood my post. Balrog and Laura are busted as hell, but you didn't really see too many people winning big tournaments with them until recently. Same with S1 Chun. Who the pros main doesn't always correlate with who the "dumbest" characters are, and stuff like that also differs within different tiers of play.

Producer

Lol. You should definately put in some more work with Urien though. Hes got the air special attack and lunge forward attack like alex, but 10x better lol

Chun mains all fleeing to cammy now?

nah i just need to cover my bad matchups. Lmao

Edzi

Lol. You should definately put in some more work with Urien though. Hes got the air special attack and lunge forward attack like alex, but 10x better lol

nah i just need to cover my bad matchups. Lmao

Yeah, I plan on actually learning him properly after the next patch.

Ugh I am going through a stage where I seem to have forgoten how to play. Big reason why I stick to casuals and BL. I can spend a week winning 95% of my matches and then bam, 2 days on the trot of playing like shit. Getting beaten by crap you know you shouldnt and my execution and reactions going to shit.

Think it all depends on my levels of tirdness. Been to busy in life / work and my performance goes to crap. Maybe I need a week or 2 break.

MrCarter

Okay capcom....

tenor.gif

Was listening to this on my way to work...and this shit is fire 🔥

Capcom have done a brilliant job with the entire soundtrack of SFV and this is certainly one of the best themes in the game. In fact, I think it should be SFV's official main theme. Kind of like how indestructible was for SFIV, except this is way better.

Urien is probably, like, a hair less straight fucking busted than Necalli. Might even be a hair more, in fact.

At least they're taking away some of the more egregious bullshit with the S2.5 patch. But he's still gonna be as rock solid as, I dunno, Guile, probably.
Even season 2 Urien isn't as solid as Guile. He is just more explosive which counts for a lot in SFV. Guile's gameplan is denser than lead, though. Not even superman can see through it if executed correctly.

Even season 2 Urien isn't as solid as Guile. He is just more explosive which counts for a lot in SFV. Guile's gameplan is denser than lead, though. Not even superman can see through it if executed correctly.

Do people think Guile is over powered. I dont use him asmuch since I moved back to pad and Mika is my main now but I always felt he was just very solid. To the point that he is the balance they should be aiming for with everyone (impossible I know).

Hyun Sai

Guile can't combo from overhead, doesn't have 50/50, doesn't have a command grab, doesn't have absurd damage.

Even if he is at the Top, you won't hear much complaints about him apart the usual "I hate zoners" in like every FG ever.

Guile really is the best character to look at in terms of balancing. Everything he has is strong but fair and the character's traits alone will never net you a win unless it's a weird 10-0 matchup.

Guile can't combo from overhead, doesn't have 50/50, doesn't have a command grab, doesn't have absurd damage.

Even if he is at the Top, you won't hear much complaints about him apart the usual "I hate zoners" in like every FG ever.

Guile really is the best character to look at in terms of balancing. Everything he has is strong but fair and the character's traits alone will never net you a win unless it's a weird 10-0 matchup.

Ah good. As I thought. I think the very minor nerfs to him in the coming patch are also fine to be honest. Diagos Guile is looking really good as well.

When I was playing on stick I was totally at home playing Guile. When I switched back to pad because smashing those buttons on stick would annoy the wife when she is trying to sleep I found Mika easier to do and Guile much harder. More than likely just finding charge easier on stick and double rolling for supers easier on pad. I used both when I was a kid so its swings and roundabouts for me. I do miss hit them buttons though. So satisfying...

myco666

Do season passes ever drop in price? I only have the base game, and 80 dollars for 12 characters is too much

Season 1 should be 20$ now and Season 2 is 30$. Don't know where you get that 80$. S1 has been on sale for 10$ and S2 will eventually drop to 20$ and get discounts but not before all the characters are out.

Do people think Guile is over powered. I dont use him asmuch since I moved back to pad and Mika is my main now but I always felt he was just very solid. To the point that he is the balance they should be aiming for with everyone (impossible I know).

Guile's is one of Nash's better MU. It's the only time when his Vskill and Heavy Tragedy Assault to be useful.

Guile has the most absurd hitbox in the game where you can cross him up and still trade with his crouching jab, and if you trade a jumping light with him in that situation it usually ends up to his favor.

Neoxon

Was listening to this on my way to work...and this shit is fire 🔥

Capcom have done a brilliant job with the entire soundtrack of SFV and this is certainly one of the best themes in the game. In fact, I think it should be SFV's official main theme. Kind of like how indestructible was for SFIV, except this is way better.
Juri & Laura aside

Guile has the most absurd hitbox in the game where you can cross him up and still trade with his crouching jab, and if you trade a jumping light with him in that situation it usually ends up to his favor.
Ibuki also has that. A few other characters as well, this is not Guile exclusive.

Though it's stupid that this is still a thing.

MCD250

This is true. Guile is pretty much perfect in this game.

dawgparty

I'm dogshit at fighting games, who would be better to learn: Juri, Mika, or Kolin? I only started playing again because Kolin is fantastic and I love her design. I'm so bad though. Help me pick a lady in the cast to learn.

I'm dogshit at fighting games, who would be better to learn: Juri, Mika, or Kolin? I only started playing again because Kolin is fantastic and I love her design. I'm so bad though. Help me pick a lady in the cast to learn.

Pick a character.

Start playing with them.

And if you like them, stick with them. Kolin is the most technical, I think, but better to practice and learn a fighting game with a character you enjoy over one you don't.

Pompadour

Juri & Laura aside

I don't get the hate for Juri's theme, it's just very low-key and boring. It feels more like a stage theme than a character theme. I think if it were attached to some sort Juri-themed nightclub stage people wouldn't mind it.

Laura's theme is garbage, though.

Top Bottom