• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Systems Trailer and hands-on impressions

DrunkDan

Akuma is a concept that just needs to go. I'd rather have Ken in the game than Akuma. You can at least make Ken fun to play against.

And I'd rather have Akuma over Ken so I guess it's a case of each to his own.

I understand what you mean in terms of how they play but I find Akuma much more interesting as a character.

cackhyena

Bison looks so much more boss in this game than 4. Can't wait to try him out. Wouldn't have thought I'd say that about the character.

abstract alien said:
Why not make it whiff as punishment for missing it

I think if that's the case you should be rewarded for doing it. Seems so risky and I think giving v meter(?) for it isn't enough to mitigate the risk. Perhaps making it a simple direction would be best. Perhaps give it a meter as to not be too op. I'm sure capcom has already gone through this.

Momentary

Banned
Really hope they don't play it safe with the world warriors. This game needs more new faces or at least lesser used characters from the series.

Can't get enough

:p

Yeah you say that as it wasn't the most important game of the series

The reason it was so great is because they tried new things out. It's like dealing with people in real life who do nothing except talk about their past accomplishment and they haven't done shit recently. Irritates the hell out of me.

emag

I like what they're doing with Bison this time around.

Bison's teleporting dash and OTG headstomps remind me somewhat of Darkstalkers' Demitri. Actually, V-Trigger reminds me of Vampire Saviour's Dark Force feature in general.

It's a little weird that three of the four shown characters have a parry/absorb/counter of some sort as their MP+MK move and the fourth has an anti-fireball low jump. I hope that MP+MK doesn't wind up being the go-to anti-fireball solution for everyone.

Then play Street Fighter 4. It's $25 for USF4, your wishes come true. You can enjoy playing as the same characters over and over, and people who would like new/different characters can enjoy V.
Read what I wrote. I said all I need is SF 2 cast. I did not say anything about not including other fighters

Yeah you say that as it wasn't the most important game of the series

It's not important NOW.

In 2015.

When people are already complaining about how SF5 looks like SF4.

Asking for SF2 characters is something a stuffy, old suit in the corner office at Capcom would ask for...someone who isn't paying attention to the current pulse of the fanbase and is simply living in the past.

"SF2 did well A QUARTER OF A CENTURY AGO. Let's do that again. For the 8th time. I don't want to take any risks. Make sure G. Honda and Blanko are in it. I'm off to play golf, now." - Out of touch exec

It's not important NOW.

In 2015.

When people are already complaining about how SF5 looks like SF4.

Asking for SF2 characters is something a stuffy, old suit in the corner office at Capcom would ask for...someone who isn't paying attention to the current pulse of the fanbase and is simply living in the past.

"SF2 did well A QUARTER OF A CENTURY AGO. Let's do that again. For the 8th time. I don't want to take any risks." - Out of touch exec
Now I am living in the past because I enjoy SF 2 rooster. Also you are implying I don't want changes or other players which I never said. All I said is I care mostly about those fighters. Jez

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game.

Overall the look is a bit too similar to 4 imo, but it still looks easily good enough that the only thing that will really matter to me at this point is the gameplay.

As for what I've heard about the gameplay, here are some thoughts:

like:
- Invincible backdashes are out.
- FADC uppercuts are out.
- Some kind of input buffer is in to remove genuine 1F links.
Above 3 things alone will already make the game a lot less annoying to play than 4 imo.
- I really like the fact that the new gameplay systems are very character dependent. Sounds great for variety.

dislike:
- Starting to get the impression that fireballs are going to be crap in this game again, with all the systems already mentioned to get around them. Ryu can parry them, Charlie can just absorb them or teleport around them, Bison can reflect them or dash through them with V-mode? I hope I'm wrong about this, but though I understand a lot of people might not like sf2 level fireballs, I wish we could get fireballs with say alpha2 level power again at least. Kind if silly that several of the characters have their V-Skills explicitly related to countering fireballs, so that they won't do anything in a large number of matchups.
- Slow walk speeds again? Hopefully this won't be the case for the rest of the cast, but it's not looking good.

I would love if Ken took a break.

I just want them to take another crack at Poison. Why did they give her 6-pack/washboard abs in SFIV? Ugh... she's not Miss Universe. Also, she doesn't have any bangs coming from under her hat.... Don't judge me. :p

She should look graceful and lady shaped, like this.
poison-ts-walk.gif
poiston-bendover.gif
poison-neck-ts.gif
poiston-cuffs.gif
Give ken a break but put Poison in when all of her inputs are based off shotos style? The hate is real -_-

Did all the ken haters actually have trouble with the flowcharts online in Sf4? I mean, it's free points!

There is 0 to Akuma as a character lol.
seriously, he's even more one dimensional than Ryu.

Akuma "I will get ALL the power"

Akuma" "I have all the power, now I need a worthy opponent"

That's it...

at least Ryu has the stereotypical shonen internal struggle and has friends etc...

I think he can parry most anything if timed right.
just can't do it in the air. It seems like he has the best special move, but I think it'll be balanced out. Might be like Akira in VF, clearly the best strongest character, but takes a lot of skill to be very good with, and is never leaps and bounds above the cast.

Pompadour

That kick was banished to SFxT.. never to be seen again.

Yeah, I was a little sad to see that go considering it seems SFV really wants to make characters feel different. Ken and Akuma will make it inevitably so they should keep giving them moves that are completely unique to that character.

I would love if Ken took a break.

I just want them to take another crack at Poison. Why did they give her 6-pack/washboard abs in SFIV? Ugh... she's not Miss Universe. Also, she doesn't have any bangs coming from under her hat.... Don't judge me. :p

She should look graceful and lady shaped, like this.
poison-ts-walk.gif
poiston-bendover.gif
poison-neck-ts.gif
poiston-cuffs.gif

Poison's abs are great though...

Yeah, I was a little sad to see that go considering it seems SFV really wants to make characters feel different. Ken and Akuma will make it inevitably so they should keep giving them moves that are completely unique to that character.
Agreed... Ken should be based on crazy kicks and mix-up and his special move be a roll. I can see the flames now...

Glorious

Give ken a break but put Poison in when all of her inputs are based off shotos style? The hate is real -_-

Did all the ken haters actually have trouble with the flowcharts online in Sf4? I mean, it's free points!
Ken shares 90% of his moveset with Ryu and only plays differently mostly because of frame data differences.

Poison has unique fireballs and a dragon punch. Similarities end there.

qcf x2

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game.

Overall the look is a bit too similar to 4 imo, but it still looks easily good enough that the only thing that will really matter to me at this point is the gameplay.

As for what I've heard about the gameplay, here are some thoughts:

like:
- Invincible backdashes are out.
- FADC uppercuts are out.
- Some kind of input buffer is in to remove genuine 1F links.
Above 3 things alone will already make the game a lot less annoying to play than 4 imo.
- I really like the fact that the new gameplay systems are very character dependent. Sounds great for variety.

dislike:
- Starting to get the impression that fireballs are going to be crap in this game again, with all the systems already mentioned to get around them. Ryu can parry them, Charlie can just absorb them or teleport around them, Bison can reflect them or dash through them with V-mode? I hope I'm wrong about this, but though I understand a lot of people might not like sf2 level fireballs, I wish we could get fireballs with say alpha2 level power again at least. Kind if silly that several of the characters have their V-Skills explicitly related to countering fireballs, so that they won't do anything in a large number of matchups.
- Slow walk speeds again? Hopefully this won't be the case for the rest of the cast, but it's not looking good.

It looked different from 4 a couple months ago, but now it looks nothing like SF4 to me. It looks far closer to 3rd strike aesthetically than SF4. And this is coming from someone who hates SF4 for its gameplay and its visuals.

As for fireballs and walk speeds, that's exactly the kind of stuff that will get tinkered with over and over again during the beta test. If anything, the presence of anti-projectile techniques for several characters is indicative that projectiles might be something you really don't want to get hit by in SFV.

The biggest reason I get a little irritated when people ask for the full SF2 cast is that those assets aren't free, it costs money and time to create those characters in a new game, and those resources could be used towards making new characters that people might actually enjoy using (apologies to the small number of people who actually use Blanka, Honda, Sim, etc regularly).

Ken shares 90% of his moveset with Ryu and only plays differently mostly because of frame data differences.

Poison has unique fireballs and a dragon punch. Similarities end there.

Frame data differences can be the difference between a character being top tier and low tier. And, with Ken's focus on Kicks, it's quite easy to make him play very differently from Ryu.

delSai

The only character i need to be happy is Alex.
The KI Model is great for Fighting Games imo, because they can just do different DLC themes like the Final Fight Pack, Alpha Pack
EX Pack
and so on.
Looking forward to the next Trailer. I have no idea what Cammys V-Skill could be.

Frame data differences can be the difference between a character being top tier and low tier. And, with Ken's focus on Kicks, it's quite easy to make him play very differently from Ryu.
We're not talking balance, we're talking playstyle. I know they could make Ken unique if they wanted to, I'm just saying Poison has nothing to do with either of them.

Sesha

If you want SF2 characters, there are a couple of games you could play:

Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Street Fighter II
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter IV
Super Street Fighter IV
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Street Fighter X Tekken
X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Capcom vs. SNK
Capcom vs. SNK 2
SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos
Street Fighter EX
Street Fighter EX 2
Street Fighter EX 3
Street Fighter: The Movie

Kimosabae

Banned
People are being silly. You can flip that argument: if you don't want a cast of iconic SF characters - you can play a different FG series.

It almost sounds like people are thinking this is going to be another 3rd Strike or something. I'd rather they play it safe and the gameplay be dope as fuck, than have a cast of weirdos that sheds doubt on whether or not we'll see another SF game again.

I'm not saying I want the SF2 cast back or don't want a unique cast, but you have to be realistic. The game has to sell.

Which is more important to you? The longevity of the series' solid brand of gameplay or your Marvel-style dream cast?

Maybe I'm just unique in not really caring about the characters in a FG as long as the foundational gameplay is good.

Unless it's Blazblue

Nikokuno

Mandatory :
Karin

Absolute Need:
R.Mika
Maki
Eagle
Gouki
Ken

Need :
Sakura
Alex
Sean
Ibuki

Dream :
Skullomania
Hokuto
Akira from Rival School leading to Next RS game

Trash :
El Fierte
Rufus
Seth
Decapre
SF IV E. Ryu
Gouken
Oni

DrunkDan

There is 0 to Akuma as a character lol.

Like I said, each to their own. I find the whole dark hado thing more interesting than some other plot lines, and the fact that he killed his teacher through dedication to the art is another reason.

I know most people think he's one dimensional but there are elements to his character that go unnoticed. Sure, it's not going to win any prizes for story writing but personally I like the character. Apparently I'm alone in that haha.

People are being silly. You can flip that argument: if you don't want a cast of iconic SF characters - you can play a different FG series.

It almost sounds like people are thinking this is going to be another 3rd Strike or something. I'd rather they play it safe and the gameplay be dope as fuck, than have a cast of weirdos that sheds doubt on whether or not we'll see another SF game again.

I'm not saying I want the SF2 cast back or don't want a unique cast, but you have to be realistic. The game has to sell.

Which is more important to you? The longevity of the series' solid brand of gameplay or your Marvel-style dream cast?

Maybe I'm just unique in not really caring about the characters in a FG as long as the foundational gameplay is good.

Unless it's Blazblue
It's not about not having iconic SF characters, but if we have a limited roster we don't need every single face from Super Turbo to show up before DLC

I get people wanting stuff like Ken, Akuma or Sagat but I'm sure we can live without Blanka, Gief or Dhalsim for once.

KAL2006

Banned
Can someone expalin to me how the Season stuff works on Killer Instinct. Do they announce characters one buy one then release them all at once. Or do characters get released one by one.

Top Bottom