• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Systems Trailer and hands-on impressions

kirblar

Let's just give Ken and Akuma a break for once! When is Ken going to do some parenting?
Been a rumor floating for a while now that that's going to happen (for Ken, at least.)

Their stated design goal is to have the initial roster launch with a hugely diverse roster in terms of playstyles, and culling the shoto/shoto-esque characters is certainly a way to do that.

Capcom must have thought long and hard about the conditions of ryu's parry. I think this should have been universal, but, at the same time I can understand capcom not wanting to retread old territory. I think this is best. In order to appease everyone as best they can. Just wish they didn't make it a whiff...

I'd love if my boy E. Honda was in this but it's not the end of the world. I'm liking the Birdie addition to the cast.

I main Honda (and Guile) in SF4, but i wouldn't mind if he sat this one out. I'm sick of the SF2 world warriors. Give me more underused SF1 characters like Birdie then I will be hype. Sprinkle some SF3 in there and then we're gravy.

stn

I have a feeling Capcom will pay lots of attention to those character polls. They need this game to be a success, after all. Consider that some portion of the XBox fan base will not be buying this game at all, plus PC has never had the highest player numbers for fighters. Add in the fact that the current gen is very new and this game might have potential for the lowest number of players.

Also, I'm glad this game is not borrowing too much from 3rd Strike. Its a great fighter but its also very polarizing for an SF game. I'm not sure if the people who now love it actually played it or just saw the Evo Moment 100 times and got hyped. Great fighter but quite different from the norm.

Maligna

Banned
Been a rumor floating for a while now that that's going to happen (for Ken, at least.)

Their stated design goal is to have the initial roster launch with a hugely diverse roster in terms of playstyles, and culling the shoto/shoto-esque characters is certainly a way to do that.

I would love if Ken took a break.

I just want them to take another crack at Poison. Why did they give her 6-pack/washboard abs in SFIV? Ugh... she's not Miss Universe. Also, she doesn't have any bangs coming from under her hat.... Don't judge me. :p

She should look graceful and lady shaped, like this.
poison-ts-walk.gif
poiston-bendover.gif
poison-neck-ts.gif
poiston-cuffs.gif

nded

Yo guys, I'm gonna post a character pick list filled with only characters I like and then mope around when a character I don't like makes the roster.

XenoRaven

I would love if Ken took a break.

I just want them to take another crack at Poison. Why did they give her 6-pack/washboard abs in SFIV? Ugh... she's not Miss Universe. Also, she doesn't have any bangs coming from under her hat.... Don't judge me. :p

She should look graceful and lady shaped, like this.
poison-ts-walk.gif
poiston-bendover.gif
poison-neck-ts.gif
poiston-cuffs.gif
"I just want them to take another crack at X" is like what any fan of any SF character thinks about the SFIV iteration.

danwu

Banned
I have a feeling Capcom will pay lots of attention to those character polls. They need this game to be a success, after all. Consider that some portion of the XBox fan base will not be buying this game at all, plus PC has never had the highest player numbers for fighters. Add in the fact that the current gen is very new and this game might have potential for the lowest number of players.

Also, I'm glad this game is not borrowing too much from 3rd Strike. Its a great fighter but its also very polarizing for an SF game. I'm not sure if the people who now love it actually played it or just saw the Evo Moment 100 times and got hyped. Great fighter but quite different from the norm.

It definitely will have the lowest online count. Japan's just not interested in PS4. People will drop out once Capcom starts doing the Super, Ultra, Arcade editions.

Degen

I'm down for roster consolidation, partially thanks to Tekken 7 lol

As long as I get a grappler (and not a "hybrid" grappler), I don't care if I recognize the character or not

alstein

Game looks fantastic.

Will sting a little if my boy Akuma doesn't make it though.

Akuma is a concept that just needs to go. I'd rather have Ken in the game than Akuma. You can at least make Ken fun to play against.

If I was making Ken, his fireball would be Sakura bad, but he'd have his funky kicks, roll that's as good as Abel's , and a command grab knee bash that did normal throw damage and command grab stun. No Kara-throw but would have air throw from ST.

It's not just popularity that matters, but having diverse playstyles. SF5 already seems like a grittier game, which I like.

I think the PC version will do better than USF4 did due to parity, and those XB1 folks might choose to play on their PCs instead of buy a PS4. Capcom needs to make sure the PC port is solid though (working on their own netcode should help)
I don't think this game will sell as well as SF4, but I think it will do pretty well (2-3 mil)

I thought I had seen everything on gaf, but Sean fans????
His design is pretty dope, and he was a beast in 2nd Impact before capcom sabotaged him and intentionally made him bottom-tier in 3rd Strike.

Even though he looks like a shoto, he plays closer to Makoto with a DP. He'd be a far more welcome addition than Ryu+Ken+Akuma+Gouken. Hell, sit Sakura for a moment and have her be DLC since she's gotten more showtime than Sean.

Mik317

Playing SFIV yesterday made me realize my Ken is even worse than I thought.

So him going home to be a family man for a bit won't hurt as much afterall lol.

Hag

If they put Ken I really hope thats like his sf3 part, old and still cocky. Not looking like a fucking blue eyed gorilla smh

Altairre

Don't change my quote. I didn't write "his/her". That's really disrespectful to me, and to transgender people.

I don't think that's what he meant to imply, just that SF fans in general would like the character models to be more like the the SF3 sprites so he added "his" for the male characters. At least that's how I understand it.

Maligna

Banned
I don't think that's what he meant to imply, just that SF fans in general would like the character models to be more like the the SF3 sprites so he added "his" for the male characters. At least that's how I understand it.

You could be right. I'll wait for clarification.

jerry1594

Sans the duck feet thanks. No need for a resolution limitation to get carried over and have them look even more superdeformed.

Sou Da

Don't change my quote. I didn't write "his/her". That's really disrespectful to me, and to transgender people.

I changed the quote to encompass how people ask this for every sf character, it's an unfortunate coincidence sorry.

EDIT: For instance I really wish Ryu looked more like his MVC3 version.

Maligna

Banned
I changed the quote to encompass how people ask this for every sf character, it's an unfortunate coincidence sorry.

EDIT: For instance I really wish Ryu looked more like his MVC3 version.

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. I'm sorry too. I'm just used to somebody coming out of the woodwork to challenge gender pronouns every time I mention Poison.

Casuals don't like characters that aren't easy to bully people with. Gouken takes a lot more thinking than Akuma does.

Also, I think people generally aren't drawn to old man characters.

Sou Da

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. I'm sorry too. I'm just used to somebody coming out of the woodwork to challenge gender pronouns every time I mention Poison.

Also, I think people generally aren't drawn to old man characters.

I wonder if there's some reskin on Pc to address the problems you had with Poison.

Capcom must have thought long and hard about the conditions of ryu's parry. I think this should have been universal, but, at the same time I can understand capcom not wanting to retread old territory. I think this is best. In order to appease everyone as best they can. Just wish they didn't make it a whiff...
Why not make it whiff as punishment for missing it?

Maligna

Banned
I wonder if there's some reskin on Pc to address the problems you had with Poison.

Not sure. Someone should, but I wouldn't be able to take advantage since I generally don't PC game. This is something I hope Capcom addresses next time they use her. Don't want it to happen again and become "unspoken canon", haha.

Playing SFIV yesterday made me realize my Ken is even worse than I thought.

So him going home to be a family man for a bit won't hurt as much afterall lol.

LOL.

I played Ken starting with Street Fighter 2 in the arcades—at twelve years old—until Street Fighter 4 in 2009. But I switched it up after seventeen years with SSF4 and started playing as Cammy.

And I've begun learning Chun Li with USF4 on the PS4. I love Ken, but I think I'm ready to part ways. At least for the first iteration of V.

I'd like to see an initial roster of 16 that includes some of the most iconic characters from each numbered run and the Alpha series.

Something like...
1. Ryu
2. Chun Li
3. Charlie
4. Bison
5. Cammy
6. Birdie
7. Sagat
8. Guy
9. C. Viper
10. Juri
11. Alex
12. Ibuki
13. NEW
14. NEW
15. NEW
16. NEW

Folks I'd love to see added after the initial release: Ken, Guile, Vega, Fei Long, Rose, Sakura, Sodom, Karin, Makoto, Dudley, Urien, Hakan, Yang, and Yun.

That's a roster of 32 there—28 of which came from previous games.

One of the matches shows him doing the parry and it having recovery frames afterwords and the person punished it for free.
What's wrong with that though? Seems like a justified punish for something that could completely turn the momentum of a battle. The same thing would happen in 3rd strike, kinda. Get baited into a party parry, timing gets screwed up, get punished.

I couldn't care less who makes it in the roster anymore. Ryu is in so I'm happy and plus Charlie looks fun as hell and no longer a charge character so I'll definitely be playing him. For me Capcom has always done a good job when it came to rosters so I have faith in them.

Shackzam

What's wrong with that though? Seems like a justified punish for something that could completely turn the momentum of a battle. The same thing would happen in 3rd strike, kinda. Get baited into a party, timing gets screwed up, get punished.
I was just pointing it out, since a lot of people think it's as good as third strike parries, which it is not. Didn't mean anything else behind my statement.

Considering the parry blocks both high and low attacks plus it's a button press as opposed to a forward input, a whiff animation is absolutely necessary and fair game.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Game is fucking beautiful. I especially love how it has 3D characters and art style similar to SF4 combined with silky smooth character animation reminiscent of SF3.

With the back-to-basics gameplay and pared down character selection, I am all aboard with this game

I was just pointing it out, since a lot of people think it's as good as third strike parries, which it is not. Didn't mean anything else behind my statement.
Cool, I was just trying to make sense of it. I thought there may have been something suspect about it that everyone was thinking.

Top Bottom