• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Myomoto

That said, it was a big mistake with the pick-by-number system to not include an info pane on the screen that does remind the players what each gem's activation condition and duration is. That seems like something that could be patched in, in another update.

It won't.

Thank you guys. I appreciate it. The encouragement is nice. I won't quit. I know everything you said is the truth. What Path should I follow to? What game mode?

Can you lay out a plan for me to get better?
1) Pick Two fighters I like
2) ?
3?
4)?

Thanks.

One more thing..........in all seriousness, is Street Fighter 4 Arcade the batter game? I ask because I want to know which one I should devote my time to.

First off read this, it will teach you the basics of playing SF.
http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

went on an 11 win winstreak yesterday...then i lose to another high level kazuya/ryu

one thing i don't like about this game (and its really more about the community around this game) is that every week theres a theme....

week one - ryu kazuya hugo gief rufus
week two - ryu ken kazuya hugo juri
week three - ryu kazuya heihachi juri
week four - ryu ken heihachi rufus juri ibuki

and with all those mixes of characters theres always one thing everyone and their mother discovers that they abuse online...last week it was "everyone has discovered a good mixup for kazuya, lets do it over and over again".....i despise that stupid target combo

/endrant

So what's the consensus on defense/fortitude gems. The 100+ bonus seems way better than the 10% bonus.
it is in general since its very easy to benefit from the effects. but lvl 2/3 fortitudes are only 130/160 compared to the lvl2/3 iron walls which are 20%/30%. when the patch comes out, it'll probably make sense to use a combination of both especially with 5 slots.

zlatko

Banned
Wow this thread is dying... def not as popular as Marvel of Sf4...

Be thankful this thread is still talking about the game. SF4 thread is more or less a general FGC community thread now at this point, and the Marvel thread is long drawn out posts by Dahbomb over theory fighter like he's writing a thesis paper.

Riposte

Be thankful this thread is still talking about the game. SF4 thread is more or less a general FGC community thread now at this point, and the Marvel thread is long drawn out posts by Dahbomb over theory fighter like he's writing a thesis paper.

Theory fighter is what you'd expect on a medium for theory.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Well, you get at maximum 200 damage off a counter meterless, so don't count on it being one of your main strategies.

The only usefulness of that counter is to land a surprise counter when your opponent is at 40% and combo into a team super to win the game. Other than that, he is a character with good high/low mixups and decent meterless damage output.
Yeah, Gouken's counter barely has any combo potential, so I wasn't planning on it being a full-time strategy. I just happen to like counters :) Thanks for the support!
I think that's a great match up in my limited experience, also it would seem to be able to win online you should master with Asuka/Heihachi a pattern to defeat Hugo since everyone and their mother is using him
Hell yes, I love me some Hugo, but he has got to be stopped! Haha.

LOL, I thought Dahbomb does this in every thread he's in. To be fair to the SF4 thread, news is slow nowadays(with more streams excluding SF4) and isn't much to discover in a 3 year old game even with all the updates. It's had a very long run with well over 100k post in all the official threads combined.

But to be fair to all 3 games. I think the weekly threads have really taken attention away from the official game threads. Stuff that people might say in those threads are now always being thrown in the weekly thread instead where they will get more attention. But for those of you guys who like the game, keep at it. Times are hard since it's getting blasted by people left and right. I played the game exclusively for 2 weeks, now I'm back to SF4 only. I like it, but not enough to really dedicate my time to it. It'll be more of a casual game for me.

Personally, I appreciate Dahbomb's intelligent contributions.

Now I understand that Gem's take a bit to setup but other than that there was no other reason to have them disable. What Haunts is talking about here sounds like a good idea a set of gems setup so there is no time wasted. The guys complaining about having Gem's turned on sound like they don't want to learn or deal with something new. Also I fully hope when Capcom patches the guest characters that they will no longer be banned at tournaments

The bigger problem than time is the assist gems, because they have a tremendous effect in the gameplay and threaten to break it. Autotech and autoblock is bad enough; autotech kills the throw game which means the death of the footsies/frame trap game since they only work when people have to fear being thrown. Autoblock is supposed to be a crutch for n00bs who don't know how to block, but for an experienced player who already can block it kills whatever mixups that he might not be able to block. The meter cost is negligible compared to benefits they bring, because the damage you can do with those meters isn't comparable to the damage your opponent can do off a hit PLUS even worse the health he can gain back from a safe tag opportunity. Even the easy input is terribad, it's essentially giving players an aimbot and the 10-20% damage decrease is a small price to pay for the benefits. Then the worst part is how stupid a lot of the DLC assist gems are, to the extent that they are blantant "pay to win" attempts that Capcom wants to advocate. 20% damage boast off all counter hits? Autotech for no meter? Autoblock for 1/8th bar? Autotech and autoblock and no chip for 1/4 bar?

I think if gems are to become playable in tourneys all DLC gems have to be banned, no question asked, and non-DLC assist gems probably will have to be banned too. That creates the question of what to ban and what not to ban, plus new players will be unhappy to turn out to tourneys to find their gems banned.

impact

Banned
Just got on after a week of Skullgirls. Match one: super laggy 3 bar Rolento spamming unsafe rekkas. Match two: Kazuya sitting on the other side of the screen doing nothing with a severe health disadvantage.

Nothing has changed I see!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The bigger problem than time is the assist gems, because they have a tremendous effect in the gameplay and threaten to break it. Autotech and autoblock is bad enough; autotech kills the throw game which means the death of the footsies/frame trap game since they only work when people have to fear being thrown. Autoblock is supposed to be a crutch for n00bs who don't know how to block, but for an experienced player who already can block it kills whatever mixups that he might not be able to block. The meter cost is negligible compared to benefits they bring, because the damage you can do with those meters isn't comparable to the damage your opponent can do off a hit PLUS even worse the health he can gain back from a safe tag opportunity. Even the easy input is terribad, it's essentially giving players an aimbot and the 10-20% damage decrease is a small price to pay for the benefits. Then the worst part is how stupid a lot of the DLC assist gems are, to the extent that they are blantant "pay to win" attempts that Capcom wants to advocate. 20% damage boast off all counter hits? Autotech for no meter? Autoblock for 1/8th bar? Autotech and autoblock and no chip for 1/4 bar?

I think if gems are to become playable in tourneys all DLC gems have to be banned, no question asked, and non-DLC assist gems probably will have to be banned too. That creates the question of what to ban and what not to ban, plus new players will be unhappy to turn out to tourneys to find their gems banned.

I've been saying from day one it should be a no-brainer to ban assist gems from competitive play. They're listed in their own pane in the gem configuration menu. They're officially "noob gems". Banning them should be no different than say, banning players selecting some equivalent easy input mode that certain other games have featured from time to time.

The real problem is that when playing online ranked randoms, there's no filter to avoid assist gem users. And/or assist gems should have been banned from ranked period.

But for tournaments, what's the controversy? Ban assist gems and let the public know in big letters "ASSIST GEMS ARE BANNED".

Moofers

Saw this marked down to $39.99 already at WalMart. Bomba? I have to wonder.

What do you think that means for an "ULTIMATE" edition with all the DLC? Less likely or more likely due to the original being marked down in less than 2 months from launch?

impact

Banned
Saw this marked down to $39.99 already at WalMart. Bomba? I have to wonder.

What do you think that means for an "ULTIMATE" edition with all the DLC? Less likely or more likely due to the original being marked down in less than 2 months from launch?

Yea it did bomb. Somewhere around 250k I think, which is just awful for a game this big.

Tizoc

When is Haunts' SFxT session/stream gonna be?
Also, I see no reason not to play with Default Gem setups, since they're setup for that characters strengths and/or weaknesses.

AAK

Wow this thread is dying... def not as popular as Marvel of Sf4...

It's because we're too busy actually playing the game to post about it :p

Good games today with pair play Sayah... I really need to get better at reading the opponent. I go for a counter randomly. I really want to pick up King just because I can't deal against ambiguous jumpins. I just wanted something to shut down things like Hugo's body splash and such. And when I was trying his combos, I'm just trying to do this combo that I saw combofiend do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEvQNHIFR4U&t=3m28s

A low jab (or medium) into the u/f+4. Hopefully I'll have a more competant character in the future :)

Sayah

It's because we're too busy actually playing the game to post about it :p

Good games today with pair play Sayah... I really need to get better at reading the opponent. I go for a counter randomly. I really want to pick up King just because I can't deal against ambiguous jumpins. I just wanted something to shut down things like Hugo's body splash and such. And when I was trying his combos, I'm just trying to do this combo that I saw combofiend do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEvQNHIFR4U&t=3m28s

A low jab (or medium) into the u/f+4. Hopefully I'll have a more competant character in the future :)

Yes, ggs indeed. You were kicking ass today. :p
I noticed that after you do the launcher, your second character (in this case, King) is still sort of "running" initially. You have to wait for him to stop running and then start the uf+4. At least that's what I've noticed. Have barely even touched King but he seems like a good character to use.

I should probably also learn someone new. Right now, I just rotate Nina, Kazuya, Heihachi, and sometimes Lili. Not sure why, but the SF characters don't interest me in the slightest. Maybe b/c most of their play involves either heavyweights with charging and grabbing moves or shotos with their usual playstyles. Guile players are especially annoying online.

Those are fun to read. The traditional MahveGAF cycle of discussion is much worse than anything he could come up with. :p

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
and with all those mixes of characters theres always one thing everyone and their mother discovers that they abuse online...last week it was "everyone has discovered a good mixup for kazuya, lets do it over and over again".....i despise that stupid target combo
At least with this game, it seems the typical trends are usually things you need to actually adapt to carefully, which should make you a better player. Even if those low-high target combos are being spammed/thrown out randomly, they are still good to practice against.

Pretty sure you'll find these trends in most online games (particularly fighters). At least it's not as bad as the whole "flowchart" phenomenon that SFIV gave rise to... man that got old quickly - both in terms of the players abusing those strategies and the jokes made about them.

Those are fun to read. The traditional MahveGAF cycle of discussion is much worse than anything he could come up with. :p
i remember when the marvel thread died when dahbomb and a bunch of others got banned. kinda sad but kinda funny at the same time. dahbomb is like the lifeline of the marvelgaf thread.

zlatko

Banned
i remember when the marvel thread died when dahbomb and a bunch of others got banned. kinda sad but kinda funny at the same time. dahbomb is the marvelgaf thread.

Fixed for you lol.

For clarification I wasn't hating on bombs posts, just noting how his posts are written out as deep ass theory fighter. I mean if you want info about a character/assist/team combo/anything, he's the dude in that thread to ask lol.

Imm0rt4l

Played some matches last night and I have a few questions. Is Laws air to air game just reall bad or is there some sort of trick or ideal time to go for air to airs? It seems against characters like Xiaoyu, jin and raven my air to airs lose 80% of the time even if I'm preempting a jump in. It's ridiculous.

hertog

Played some matches last night and I have a few questions. Is Laws air to air game just reall bad or is there some sort of trick or ideal time to go for air to airs? It seems against characters like Xiaoyu, jin and raven my air to airs lose 80% of the time even if I'm preempting a jump in. It's ridiculous.

When I'm up against Law, I'll always try to stay in the air as much as possible.
It feels like he has no reliable AA-game.

LakeEarth

When I'm up against Law, I'll always try to stay in the air as much as possible.

Also, his EX punch move with all that invulnerability is not really punishable on block, so neutral jump to avoid it and then murder coming down is the way I go about dealing with it.

Imm0rt4l

right he has no aa, that's why I back dash, forward dash and try to air to air preemptively. Problem is it seems to me his air to air game is horrible.

LakeEarth

There is a Law anti-air where he goes low and does kind of a back elbow. I don't play him so I don't know what move that is. Not completely useless.

zlatko

Banned
There is a Law anti-air where he goes low and does kind of a back elbow. I don't play him so I don't know what move that is. Not completely useless.

Ya that has bopped me a few times. There's also his leg out special at right angles too.

A lot of times losing air to air, is because you try to pick HK/HP/MK/MP, but in this game LP/LK's are my go to air to air, because on counter hit they lead to juggle state and free big damage.

Kazuya jump LK is a great example, and works wonders against Juri's who like to jump a lot.

HeroMK

Neo Member
Exs6R.gif

J10

Banned
I was immediately drawn to Asuka in the beginning, but there's almost no reliable way to get inside on people and her AA game is almost non existent, so she's relegated to the second character slot. I've recently discovered that her surface-to-air grab (F, D, DF+P) can be very reliable when responding to cross up pressure while blocking low, using the motion shortcut (while blocking low, DF, DB, DF+P). Been doing much better since figuring that out, but still can't find a way to get inside on offense safely. She's purely a defensive/reactionary character for me right now.

hertog

I was immediately drawn to Asuka in the beginning, but there's almost no reliable way to get inside on people and her AA game is almost non existent, so she's relegated to the second character slot. I've recently discovered that her surface-to-air grab (F, D, DF+P) can be very reliable when responding to cross up pressure while blocking low, using the motion shortcut (while blocking low, DF, DB, DF+P). Been doing much better since figuring that out, but still can't find a way to get inside on offense safely. She's purely a defensive/reactionary character for me right now.

She has one mayor advantage against me, I have no fucking clue what she can do exactly :)

Toski

The j.MK hitbox on most characters are stupid big. I know Ono said jump ins would trade more often with anti-airs, but I thought that would just be jHK or jHP. I'm almost scared to go air to air against Heihachi, Kazuya, Jin, and even Asuka.

Not sure. But it's lower than SF4 and MVC3 at launch I believe. With all the negative PR at launch, not too surprised but it didn't flop IMO.

SF4 had good world wide sales. MVC3's sales were mostly in U.S. and that was good.
well they are putting a whole lot of effort into the vita version...

Top Bottom