• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken PC Coming, Console Release Mar 6 [Like ME3/XCOM/Ghost Recon]

Hitokage said:
Watch SFxT not even be included at Evo.

I know many people have been into the game, but it's time to move on.

Can't believe anyone would believe that, if they don't put SFxT what game could they possibly put in EVO? You have AE2012 and UMvC3 as dead cert, then maybe Soul Calibur V, and maybe MK9 (which is already dying in many places), then what else? You must be crazy if you think Skullgirls or KOFXIII will be popular enough to put in EVO.

alstein

I suspect Capcom's sponsorship will get this game in EVO, no matter how broken things end up.

As for KOF or Skullgirls, I suspect one of those will make EVO- possibly both.

Evo has room for six games- it's pretty certain that Tekken Tag 2 and the next Blazblue won't be out here by June (BB might, but slim chance)

Apology Edition,UMVC3, and SC5 are definites

I'm putting SFvTK as a near-definite.

KOF is probably next on the totem pole, especially if top players stick with the game, and because it will bring in some international crowd.

BTW when are Evo games announced? I'm hoping it's pretty soon so I can decide if I want to go or not.

Also, there is precedent for unpopular fighters being at EVO if they're good enough- they had VF5 one year.

alstein

akilshohen said:
What makes you think MK won't return?

People will quit it in favor of other games coming out soon, NRS isn't going to rush out a sequel just to appeal to the hardcores. Not a slight on MK, it had a very good run, I just can't see it lasting two years.

kirblar

MK has a severe depth problem. I'm expecting TTT2, BlazBlue, SC5, SFxT, SFIV and MvC3 as the 6 games. If TTT2 isn't available yet, then MK or KoF could conceivably get a nod.

Skullgirls will be a side event. I suspect that game is going to have issues going mainstream.

Three out of six main EVO fighters are Capcom fighters? I can understand UMvC3 and even 2012 Edition, but SFxT? Capcom is never going to get out of it's rut if people continue to promote it's weak ass fighters.

Yeah... they need a real kick in the ass and I bet one of their new games not appearing as a main event would be the swift kick in the rear they need.
CPS2 said:
CFJ was 2v2 but didn't have tag.
Yeah, this is the closest thing he has done to a VS fighter as far as I can tell. You'd think that he'd approach his first one in a more serious way...

Tizoc

IMO, EVO 2012's games will be:
SSF4, UMvC3, SFxT, and if there'll be 3 games I'm gonna guess-
KoF XIII, Skullgirls, SC5 or VF5
Add in TTT2 if it is announced for an early/mid 2012 release.

alstein

Tizoc said:
IMO, EVO 2012's games will be:
SSF4, UMvC3, SFxT, and if there'll be 3 games I'm gonna guess-
KoF XIII, Skullgirls, SC5 or VF5
Add in TTT2 if it is announced for an early/mid 2012 release.

It's pretty much known VF5 and TTT2 won't be out in time. Expect exhibitions at best.

SC5 will be there no matter what, replacing Tekken 6.

KOF has a good chance, if its fans can show up to Final Round, as that will be the first big major after its release.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Kaijima said:
Capcom has become the master of trolling fighting game players.

It's quite innovative when you think about it.

You know what? Screw it, I'm there on day one. This is something new, different for a Capcom game. I want to see how it works out for real. It's clear that the system actually has its balances, and gem powers have strategies and tradeoffs. How the heck is it "noobifiying" to have a guard ability that drains meter like crazy? That sounds like it would just frustrate and cripple actual casual players.

I suppose it's just that, every time a new game comes out and has an idea that overturns the apple card, a lot of people sound like they want the next new fighting game to play just like the last fighting game. The sheer controversy the Gem system is causing, may be an indication that it's pushing the right buttons, and tipping over sacred cows.

But it's still epic trolling, lol.
It depends on your perspective. A big part of the reason why the quality of play in professional sports is so high is because the rules aren't wildly overhauled every couple of years like they are in fighting games. Athletes are generally able to refine their skills without fear of them being rendered irrelevant overnight.

Publishers have a vested economic interest in creating new product for the sake of creating new product.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
alstein said:
People will quit it in favor of other games coming out soon, NRS isn't going to rush out a sequel just to appeal to the hardcores. Not a slight on MK, it had a very good run, I just can't see it lasting two years.

Er, you are aware that MK had nearly as many entrants as MVC3 at SB, correct?

kunonabi

UMVC3, SSFIV AE2012, SFxT are locks. Capcom will pay enough money to get SFxT in the lineup

Namco will have a presence which means SC5

Hopefully MK and KoFXIII take the last two spots.

I would love VF to make it in but that just won't happen.

Throavium

People who lost faith in Mortal Kombat before the new game came out this year, refuse to believe the critical acclaim of the game, and how the game has managed to stay afloat in tournament pool. Just because some people hate the entire series because of palette swap characters 20 years ago, does not mean that the series was in fact was completely revived.

Korigama

UMvC3, rebalanced SSFIV:AE, SFxT, BB:CSE, and SCV are the safest bets for Evo '12. I'm fairly certain that MK9 isn't paid much mind as a competitive game at this point (could be wrong - I haven't paid much attention to it lately, yet don't hear anything about it either), and the only way I see KoF XIII earning a spot would be if Atlus sponsors it (the US KoF community's weak support was cited as part of the reason why none of the previous titles have been featured as event games at Evo, IIRC).

This gems thing seems like a really really bad idea.

It doesnt make the game easier for causals (which has way too many systems already) and it is a big turn off for the hardcore.

I believe that it's only function is to serve as a vecihle for mircotransactions and COD-style perks.

I don't mind too much seeing as it's fine as a party game but it worries me if this is the template for future capcom fighters.

As for evo, it would actually be nice if some non-capcom fighters got some shine instead.

I'd like to see

SC5
UMVC3
TT2
VF 5: FS
DOA5
KOF 13
SFAE2012
Skullgirls
MK9
BB (even if the new one isn't out in time)

Hell even 3rd strike could make a return.

SF x T doesn't have to be there just because it's a capcom game any more than super gem fighter, sponsorship or no sponsorship.

alstein

Lost Fragment said:
Er, you are aware that MK had nearly as many entrants as MVC3 at SB, correct?

Yeah, it's had a good run. That said, it being an EVO game was a big reason why people kept with it after it's launch.

I'm not knocking the game, I just think many of the people playing it are going to move to other games when they come out.

Degen

My plan is to have the most broken gem combination that my mains can possiby get. I want my team to sh*t all over the game. So help me, Gief will do 50% with his SPD by the time I'm satisfied. Bryan Fury will accurately portray his Tekken cutscenes. Hugo and Dhalsim? ...Just ragequit ASAP.

ArjanN

Throavium said:
People who lost faith in Mortal Kombat before the new game came out this year, refuse to believe the critical acclaim of the game, and how the game has managed to stay afloat in tournament pool. Just because some people hate the entire series because of palette swap characters 20 years ago, does not mean that the series was in fact was completely revived.

I loved MK back in the day, and the new MK is a good game, but IMO it's not very fun to watch as a spectator.

Degen said:
My plan is to have the most broken gem combination that my mains can possiby get. I want my team to sh*t all over the game. So help me, Gief will do 50% with his SPD by the time I'm satisfied. Bryan Fury will accurately portray his Tekken cutscenes. Hugo and Dhalsim? ...Just ragequit ASAP.

That's the same plan everyone else has, so I don't see how that really gives you any advantage.

lupinko

Professor Beef said:
Thanks lupinko.

2efqet4.png

Degen

ArjanN said:
I loved MK back in the day, and the new MK is a good game, but IMO it's not very fun to watch as a spectator.

That's the same plan everyone else has, so I don't see how that really gives you any advantage.
No!! I don't just want my team to be as good as possible. I want to break it. I want to find that combination that's so over-the top, specifically for that character teamed with that other character, that it just ruins everything if you use him/her a certain way. If it exists, I'm gonna find it. I'll gauge my success, not with BP, but with hate mail.

It's Soulcalibur 4's "Special Versus" mode all over again, except there's no alternative!

TheOGB

Banned
Chindogg said:
While we're at it lets just add a feature to the game where you pay $10 to be able to instantly win by pressing jab once. Don't have the time to practice and actually be good at the game? Just buy gems to make yourself instantly top tier. Basically defeats the purpose of a fighting game.
Oh good, that clears everything up

Guys, it's okay, games aren't for having fun

That said, a lot of the choices Capcom is making with the gem system worry me, though I'm still looking forward to how it'll play out.

alstein

The fun in games for competitive players is in the competition, not the herp derp stuff.

What's fun for a casual and fun for a competitive is very different.

I think gems could work, but it's very unlikely.

TheOGB

Banned
But to say that it's the purpose of fighting games is off-putting to me (and probably everyone else, this being GAF and all). Sure, that could just be me being picky with the wording, but all the same, generalizations like these have that effect.

Lothars

ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
This gems thing seems like a really really bad idea.

It doesnt make the game easier for causals (which has way too many systems already) and it is a big turn off for the hardcore.

I believe that it's only function is to serve as a vecihle for mircotransactions and COD-style perks.

I don't mind too much seeing as it's fine as a party game but it worries me if this is the template for future capcom fighters.

As for evo, it would actually be nice if some non-capcom fighters got some shine instead.

I'd like to see

SC5
UMVC3
TT2
VF 5: FS
DOA5
KOF 13
SFAE2012
Skullgirls
MK9
BB (even if the new one isn't out in time)

Hell even 3rd strike could make a return.

SF x T doesn't have to be there just because it's a capcom game any more than super gem fighter, sponsorship or no sponsorship.

I just don't want to see MK9 at EVO, I think it's bad enough that it was at last EVO, I would like to see the rest of them you mentioned.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
DjangoReinhardt said:
It depends on your perspective. A big part of the reason why the quality of play in professional sports is so high is because the rules aren't wildly overhauled every couple of years like they are in fighting games. Athletes are generally able to refine their skills without fear of them being rendered irrelevant overnight.

Publishers have a vested economic interest in creating new product for the sake of creating new product.

I understand this, yeah. Thing is, fighting games aren't all one game; unlike Baseball, say, there are many different variations of the same theme with their own rules. A fighting game "athlete" is a bit more subdivided and specialized than someone who plays a sport where there's only one official form of the game.

And that can be a strength, I'd say... it means that fighting games CAN experiment without destroying the sport (if you want to call it that). People have turned games like Third Strike into enough of a regulated sport.

What gets me is the sheer scorn and derision (let's call it the Smash Reaction) to any fighting game that appears and doesn't explicitly follow a set of invisible rules people have made up. A lot of people seem to react not just with "this doesn't interest me"... or even disappointment. Goes way beyond disappointment. Fighting game players are interesting in that they seem to feel they have ownership of the genre and approval over what even gets called a "fighting game".

I know some gamers like that in other genres; I've seen a few people who will insist that all racing games should be Gran Turismo and anything that isn't "serious" like it may as well not even exist. Most of the time, they seem a minority who get laughed at or ignored. In the FGC though, that attitude seems a lot more common, possibly even dominant.

Kaijima said:
What gets me is the sheer scorn and derision (let's call it the Smash Reaction) to any fighting game that appears and doesn't explicitly follow a set of invisible rules people have made up. A lot of people seem to react not just with "this doesn't interest me"... or even disappointment. Goes way beyond disappointment. Fighting game players are interesting in that they seem to feel they have ownership of the genre and approval over what even gets called a "fighting game".

I think the reaction are due more to the pre order/ limited edition exclusive crap. Not the mechanic itself. They try to play it off as some incredibly deep strategic new element when all signs point to it being just another perk knockoff carrot on the stick dlc cash cow. This is the part that worries people. Advantages for sale in a genre that's usually in that regard been left untouched.

How would Cod fans feel if all of a sudden perks where dlc?

zlatko said:
What better way to overcome skill gaps than a mode like X-Factor.

What better way to overcome skill gaps than a character like Dark Phoenix.

What better way to overcome skill gaps than picking Yun in AE.

What better way to overcome skill gaps than V-13 or whatever in the original Blazblue.

I can keep going. They have allowed some stupid shit at majors.

It's pretty simple to just say, "no use of DLC/pre order gems," and then allow all the ones that are on disc.

Give me you crystal ball seriously. I want to see the future you have seen oh great wizard Chindogg to know exactly which gems are so broken. That way I can get to the same page as you and begin to criticise the game for things it actually has done and not for things it MIGHT do or COULD do.

I'm going to wait and see, and once again, for the third time now, why is it SO bad that the game is just a grown up version of Super Smash? It'd be great to have a nice fuck around game like Smash to enjoy with friends who come over, and leave my hardcore TE stick 1 frame linking games for when I'm in the mood for serious competitive play. Still not saying this game can't be that, but why would it be so bad if it wasn't that ?
Goodness gracious, I would not want you running tourneys if your going to ban all the good characters and subsystems.

alstein

Kaijima said:
I understand this, yeah. Thing is, fighting games aren't all one game; unlike Baseball, say, there are many different variations of the same theme with their own rules. A fighting game "athlete" is a bit more subdivided and specialized than someone who plays a sport where there's only one official form of the game.

And that can be a strength, I'd say... it means that fighting games CAN experiment without destroying the sport (if you want to call it that). People have turned games like Third Strike into enough of a regulated sport.

I know some gamers like that in other genres; I've seen a few people who will insist that all racing games should be Gran Turismo and anything that isn't "serious" like it may as well not even exist. Most of the time, they seem a minority who get laughed at or ignored. In the FGC though, that attitude seems a lot more common, possibly even dominant.

It's dominant mostly in the Capcom community. The other communities tend to not share that opinion as much. To me at least, there's Capcom fans and fighting game fans, two groups that are separate, but sometimes overlap.

I don't consider the folks who are only willing to play Capcom games fighting game fans, they're Capcom fans.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
At this point, I'm over the gems and will just fuck around with the game as usual. If the release dates hold up though, it'll be awhile before buying it. ME3 comes first. =D

alstein

VerTiGo said:
SFxT and AE2012 should both miss next EVO. Only Third Strike matters.

I expect to see a heavy dropoff of SF4 players from last year's EVO to this year's. Marvel will become the clear #1 game, I wouldn't be shocked if SC5 ends up being the 2nd most popular game, if it holds up competitively.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
alstein said:
I expect to see a heavy dropoff of SF4 players from last year's EVO to this year's. Marvel will become the clear #1 game, I wouldn't be shocked if SC5 ends up being the 2nd most popular game, if it holds up competitively.
Its far too early to say without Ultimate out, but I think Street Fighter will always be the main event. People can't shake it, as much as some of them hate it. Plus SFIV is a staple and brings in the international crowd and pros.

Would be a wonderful surprise if UMvC3 ends up being the main event though.

My guesses for next year:
SFxT, UMvC3, SFIVAE2012, SCV, MK9, Tekken 6. Or whatever TTT2 if it comes out in time.

enzo_gt said:
Its far too early to say without Ultimate out, but I think Street Fighter will always be the main event. People can't shake it, as much as some of them hate it. Plus SFIV is a staple and brings in the international crowd and pros.

Would be a wonderful surprise if UMvC3 ends up being the main event though.

My guesses for next year:
SFxT, UMvC3, SFIVAE2012, SCV, MK9, Tekken 6. Or whatever TTT2 if it comes out in time.

Yep that is one thing i like about SF it has huge amount people playing form all over the world .
Tekken like that but everyone going to be playing TTT 2 .
KOF also has allot people but they playing 98um or 2002um so it split and in NA they amount of players small hope KOFXIII changes that .

I like BB but not getting this new version same for most people i know so that might hurt the game.
SC5 lets see what going to happen with that and i don't know if people still playing MK9.

vulva

People actually think Skullgirls has a chance at being at EVO? Maybe as a side tournament, but no way. Not when it has this much to compete with.

MrDaravon

Terareflection said:
I am not really sure why Mr. Wizard cannot hire more staff so they fit more games into the lineup...

I think it becomes more of a time/logistics/space thing. You have to stop it after a certain point, otherwise you could have like 10 games but the thing would be a week long and they probably couldn't even find a venue for that.

Top Bottom