• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken PC Coming, Console Release Mar 6 [Like ME3/XCOM/Ghost Recon]

Mileena

Banned
Gem system is a stupid gimmick. Not a fan of pandora either. Capcom just had to do something to make this look less awesome.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Phoenixazure said:
Ono said it himself that he wants the gem system to be a way for casuals to come back to SF after they came for SF4 and quickly left afterwards.
It's going to do the total opposite :p

Oh and something fucking awesome I noticed in the trailer and didn't before was. If you do a charge attack, dash cancel it out after level 2. Your next attack counts as a counter hit. Kinda like sagat's angry scar thingy. Now that's fucking awesome imo.

I'll go out on a limb and say I'm very very rarely wrong when it comes to fighting game stuff. This could be one of those times, but honestly when people start wrapping their heads around the stuff you can do with everything in the game I'm pretty god damn sure it's gonna be loved.

QisTopTier said:
It's going to do the total opposite :p

Oh and something fucking awesome I noticed in the trailer and didn't before was. If you do a charge attack, dash cancel it out after level 2. Your next attack counts as a counter hit. Kinda like sagat's angry scar thingy. Now that's fucking awesome imo.

yea thats one of the big "ooos and aaahs" from watching the trailer, same with launcher (sp and sk) being immune to sweeps

Ahahaha they added Tekken's Ki charge in a sense?

Oh and gems meh, just battle in non-gem matches. Tourneys will just have to ban them outright or something.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
People saying to just straight up ban gems with out thinking about how they work and could change up the game for the better, would you guys ban assist and xfactor in mvc3 as well?

I mean I'll admit I got super pissed the second I saw it. After I sat down with a note pad and starting working some possibilities out. In the end the positives GREATLY out weighed the negatives.

Mileena

Banned
QisTopTier said:
People saying to just straight up ban gems with out thinking about how they work and could change up the game for the better, would you guys ban assist and xfactor in mvc3 as well?
Well... X factor shouldn't even be in the game. I'm sure more people would rather have it banned than not.

QisTopTier said:

It could work but it'd def need to have its own thing. While its cool, the examples where the gem system worked best in the demonstration was when they picked a random cosplayer out of the crowd to vs Seth. She had gems and she did better than she would've without, with Seth working a little harder to get into a combo (if u're already attacking, no gems will save u, but the autoguard will help if u have the meter)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
corkscrewblow said:
Well... X factor shouldn't even be in the game. I'm sure more people would rather have it banned than not.
Yes I'm sure that's why xfactor got super buffed in umvc3.

Phoenixazure said:
It could work but it'd def need to have its own thing. While its cool, the examples where the gem system worked best in the demonstration was when they picked a random cosplayer out of the crowd to vs Seth. She had gems and she did better than she would've without, with Seth working a little harder to get into a combo (if u're already attacking, no gems will save u, but the autoguard will help if u have the meter)

Auto guard is only useful in the 2v1 moments and they go for a sorta unblockable set up. It's not hard to block, and wasting meter which you NEED A FUCK TON in this game just to block standard attacks is pointless.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I personally find it kinda nice to watch fighters add depth ins more ways than just more moves and tighter combos. People really need to be open to the fact that these systems could ADD something, even to high level play.

As you mention QisTopTier, it's not too different from MvC and it's assist. In one way, an assist is simply a way to add 2 special moves onto your character, that don't require complex motions, or for your character to be tied down. While they start off as a gimmick (a way to see more of your favorite characters on screen), they've become something very significant to play now.

Gems could be the same way, if given a chance. I rather like the fact that they're "conditional" here. Makes it seem more like it's a real choice under the players control.

Official Site Updated
Same Character, Different Fighting Style!
The Gem System is a brand new feature introduced in SFxT. Gems will activate as you fulfill certain conditions in battle, and will give your character a power-up! Even in a same-character battle, abilities will vary depending on the types of Gems that have been equipped! Create your own fighting style that matches your personal preferences.
■Gem Types
There are various different types of Gems. Their effects are designated by color, so in the heat of battle you can see what types of Gems your opponent has set. Players can change their characters' abilities based on their own play-style, meaning you'll never really have a mirror match!

Red Gems increase attack power!
system_jem01.gif

Yellow Gems increase defense!
system_jem02.gif

Green Gems provide a speed boost!
system_jem03.gif

■Activation Conditions
Gems have many different activation conditions. There are Gem types that do not fall into the categories explained above!

Activates as you attack!
system_jem04.gif

..And there are Gems that activate as you are attacked!
system_jem05.gif

Gems that activate as you connect with a special move!
system_jem06.gif

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
SAB CA said:
I personally find it kinda nice to watch fighters add depth ins more ways than just more moves and tighter combos. People really need to be open to the fact that these systems could ADD something, even to high level play.

As you mention QisTopTier, it's not too different from MvC and it's assist. In one way, an assist is simply a way to add 2 special moves onto your character, that don't require complex motions, or for your character to be tied down. While they start off as a gimmick (a way to see more of your favorite characters on screen), they've become something very significant to play now.

Gems could be the same way, if given a chance. I rather like the fact that they're "conditional" here. Makes it seem more like it's a real choice under the players control.
Someone gets it yay :D

Busaiku

QisTopTier said:

I mean I'll admit I got super pissed the second I saw it. After I sat down with a note pad and starting working some possibilities out. In the end the positives GREATLY out weighed the negatives.
The thing is, there are exclusive Gems only if you preorder.
In no way is that a leveled game

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Joking aside the Gem idea could be intriguing if the conditions for activation play into match strategy. For example, if a particular gem's activated by, say, getting a ground chain combo into a juggle with crossover continuation of a certain number of hits.

Or by performing a certain feat three times within ten seconds during a match. Then, it becomes more like NBA Jam's "Fire" system which rewards outstanding control of the match or suchlike.

Busaiku

QisTopTier said:
I bet you 5 bucks they are gonna be worthless as fuck.
The fact of the matter is, that unlike assists, not everyone will have access to them.
It's not a good a system to have if that's the case.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Busaiku said:
The fact of the matter is, that unlike assists, not everyone will have access to them.
It's not a good a system to have if that's the case.
So you don't wanna bet 5 bucks? That's a shame. I mean hey if I lose the bet you could preorder with the 5 bucks! or get your money back! :p
Pre order items are always trash tier OR unlockable in EVERYTHING

Phoenixazure said:
when i was at the panel, It didn't imply that the gems being given out were exclusive. It seemed like you had a an attack/speed/defense exclusive set of 9 gems from pre order (aka from gamestop, u get a pack of 9 attack gems)
Early unlocks in other words.

when i was at the panel, It didn't imply that the gems being given out were exclusive. It seemed like you had a an attack/speed/defense exclusive set of 9 gems from pre order (aka from gamestop, u get a pack of 9 attack gems)

DR2K

Banned
People are seriously considering buying a Capcom fighter day 1 after the shit they pulled with SFIV and MVC3?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
DR2K said:
People are seriously considering buying a Capcom fighter day 1 after the shit they pulled with SFIV and MVC3?
Why not? I like playing games. You can sit back and not play a game for 6 or 12 months if you want. I'll be enjoying it the whole time. Sorry you are that tight on cash and don't enjoy the games.

Busaiku

QisTopTier said:
So you don't wanna bet 5 bucks? That's a shame. I mean hey if I lose the bet you could preorder with the 5 bucks! or get your money back! :p
Pre order items are always trash tier OR unlockable in EVERYTHING
Well, even if I preorder, it's definitely not gonna be the SE!

Really. The only truely shitty thing is that there's no comic-con exclusive MadCatz stick at Comic Con this year!

hell! I can't find any vendors that sell any. Anyone know?

DR2K said:

Well, this vanilla version already has more content than the updated versions of both of them. It'd be one thing if it was looking as barebones as MvC3 was, but it's not.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
DR2K said:

I would have thought you liked the game. It has girls.

d0c_zaius

DR2K said:

no I'm like you, I pout until they release the perfect version I want while everyone else just plays the game and trades it in for the next version

(actually I sold my MVC3 SE as soon as I saw it drop to 39$ in best buy, then the next day they announced UMVC3)

TGMIII

Apparently this is how the auto-gaurd gem works

"Auto guard guards any attack, so long as you are able (i.e. not in recovery frames) but costs 1 bar of meter per blocked attack. If you have no meter while the auto-guard gem is active, it won't do anything. seems like its gonna cost meter for it."

No source, just people talking on irc so it could be bullshit.

awwyeahgurrl said:
Apparently this is how the auto-gaurd gem works

"Auto guard guards any attack, so long as you are able (i.e. not in recovery frames) but costs 1 bar of meter per blocked attack. If you have no meter while the auto-guard gem is active, it won't do anything. seems like its gonna cost meter for it."

No source, just people talking on irc so it could be bullshit.

This is true. I think i said it earlier as well (worded it differently)

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
SAB CA said:

Depth isn't determined by the number of mechanics in a game.

Sayah

I really wanted a Lee + Anna team for the Tekken side but I know that's not going to happen. :(

Not sure about what to think on the gem system yet.

GorillaJu

So the gem system is paid additional content that gives an actual competitive (not just cosmetic) boost to people who spend money to get that edge. And there are pre-order exclusives.

And now I have to get the SE edition so I can be on equal footing with everyone else who has it online.

I feel like an abused girlfriend. Capcom threw me around the room and told me what I wanted and didn't want with SF4 and then MvC3, came back apologizing with Super, then slapped me around with AE.

Now they're back and I just have to take it because deep down they're good people and I need them... Or something

diffusionx

Gold Member
I've been psyched about this game pretty much from the second it was first shown. But I do not like this gem shit at all.

I'll still buy this (as well as SFxT Ultra when it comes out in November) but I am definitely less excited.

Raonak

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I don't see a reason why the PC version shouldn't launch alongside the console ones.

until PC piracy drops down to console levels, it'll be the case for a lot of games.

Nyoro SF

Please wait for the details of the implications for the gem system in the online community before y'all light yourself on fire.

Degen

I want to see more out-there characters like Lars and Alisa on the Tekken side. Their BS gimmicks would be right at home in a 2D fighter

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
My gawd that looks so nice. I want it so badly, but no...I can't. Not this time Capcom, it's not going to...work. Must...wait...for...Ultimate version.

Top Bottom