• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

FYI, all Barnes and Noble stores will have all vinyl 10% tomorrow. This includes many exclusive versions, like the Firefly original score, later Harry Potter scores, and exclusive colored versions of other albums.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
My 2m Blue came in

Cpxb4NIl.jpg

:cryingemoji:

now to wait for my new 75g counter weight to come in.

They said that they are also doing Fire Walk With Me, which DOES have Sycamore Trees (the only song left off the SECOND Twin Peaks TV show soundtrack, presumably because spoilers/that episode hadn't aired yet), on "Cherry Pie" Colored vinyl (which seeing how fucking gorgeous this coffee color is, has me excited), and I believe that is targeting a November release, but I may be wrong.
Damn fine!

I ended up with a preorder shipping in October. Were there some in stock?
How strange, maybe there are different waves of availability? Seems odd.

Pre-ordered the Twin Peaks vinyl from amoeba even though I have an original pressing. Can't help myself :(
Would you mind comparing them to tell us which sounds better?

123rl

I found a mint/nearly new copy of Oasis - Time Flies today. Aside from one slight crease on one insert, it could have been sold as new.

It's the first time I've heard Oasis on vinyl and I wanted to avoid the remastered versions as they're not as good. At the same time, I don't want to pay £80+ for an album. Well, I'm impressed. Every song sounds amazing and the best I've ever heard it.

A little clarity regarding Twin Peaks from their newsletter, not really the best way to communicate but that's how Mondo be,

Thank you for your amazing response to Twin Peaks last week! It blew us away. We sold out of our initial copies and currently have it on pre-order (shipping late October). BUT if you cant wait then, you’ll be able to buy it in your local record store starting September 9th. Key stores will also be hosting Cherry Pie & Coffee evenings on September 6th - eat some pie, drink some damn fine coffee and pick up the record a few days ahead of its release date.

Atrophis

Amazon have got the pre-order up for £38.99! Load of rubbish. Rough Trade selling for £29.99.

Oooh £25 from Zavvi. Thats more like it. Orders.

overcast

Anyone have a favorite way to store records? Looking for something that can hold around 20-50 for now.

Preferably not huge as it'll be in my room.

Having been getting used vinyl mainly for months, I got some new pressing tonight since they were the same price as good condition old ones. Got some Rolling Stones stuff (Beggar's Banquet and Let it Bleed) and had no idea they were on clear vinyl. Makes me want to get more new pressings because the clear albums have this badass look to them.

8bit

Knows the Score
Amazon have got the pre-order up for £38.99! Load of rubbish. Rough Trade selling for £29.99.

Oooh £25 from Zavvi. Thats more like it. Orders.

Norman Records have it for 27 quid, shipping early September. Not the cheapest, but they're an actual record store.

Jakoo

Hey VinylGAF

My wife and I have about 50-75 records between us. While we don't use it all the time, its fun to put it on a record when we have guests or play a board game. Also, I work from home, so there is something nice about putting on a vinyl and not feeling pressured to fiddle around with Spotify whenever I'm listening to music and trying to get work done

Our record player is currently this Crosley Model. I've heard that Crosley's are considered terrible, but that's typically on vinyl aficionados websites who are probably appreciating vinyl on a much more sophisticated level then we are. What has concerned me though, is those websites have said that Crosley's are apparently bad for records?

Any thoughts? Have I been unintentionally trashing my records this whole time? If so, are there any self-contained (speakers embedded) units any of you guys would recommend? Thanks!

Spwn

Our record player is currently this Crosley Model. I've heard that Crosley's are considered terrible, but that's typically on vinyl aficionados websites who are probably appreciating vinyl on a much more sophisticated level then we are. What has concerned me though, is those websites have said that Crosley's are apparently bad for records?

Any thoughts? Have I been unintentionally trashing my records this whole time? If so, are there any self-contained (speakers embedded) units any of you guys would recommend? Thanks!

My heart aches, but I don't blame you. Crosley seem to have succeeded in marketing and their record players do look pretty nice with their vintage-ish designs. I appreciate them for getting people into vinyl at an entry-level price, but at the same time it hurts the medium by delivering equipment that gives a subpar experience.

When it comes to damages, the Crosley players have a tendency to wear out the grooves way faster than a good quality record player. This produces no visible scratches and on your setup you won't hear the difference, but the grooves may sustain some damage and on good basic setup the wear can in worst cases be heard as a slight increase in noise and distortion. I wouldn't say you've trashed any records, but haven't really made them service either – don't worry, I've had a shitty player as well and I haven't noticed anything wrong on the records I've played with it on my current setup.

And the quality of players with integrated speakers... Well, generally you won't find anything worthwhile and makes me question the need to get vinyl records if you're going to listen them on that kind of setup. You don't get to experience any of the pros of vinyl records. Most likely you'd run into similar groove wear problems as with Crosleys. Chep is rarely good unless you hit a jackbox in the used vintage market.

In your case I'd probably recommend getting something along the lines of ATLP120 or Pro-ject Debut Carbon with a built-in preamp. Not the best solution compared to a separate pre-amp, but in your case it would still be a huge upgrade and could save you some money compared to getting a preamp separately. Then add some entry level receiver + speakers into the mix. I think the OP gives pretty good guidance as to what to look for.

Yeah to follow up what Spwn said, the Crosley players don't have a counter weight so when the record is playing, there's way too much weight/pressure being applied to the record grooves, which will wear out your records pretty quickly. Your records are probably fine for now but I wouldn't use a Crosley table for too long.
It's strange that no one makes an Audio Technica or Pro-Ject quality table in a vintage design, clearly there's a market for it....

Dan-o

I moved from a Crosley to a Uturn Orbit, and yeah, the counterweight was the first thing I had to get used to. The arm feels practically weightless, which is absolutely not what my Crosley's arm felt like.
You'll also get much better sound quality out of a pair of bookshelf speakers than any record player with built-in speakers. I had already known that my Crosley sounded bad, but hearing my favourite albums on decent equipment was like hearing them again for the first time.
Unfortunately,it means spending some extra cash, but if you're buying and listening to records regularly, you owe it to yourself to at least experience a better setup before deciding that it is or isn't worth it.

With 200+ records (a small collection compared to some folks here I'm sure), for me, it was worth every penny.

Shaneus

Signing up for this thread because fuck it, why not?

Still need to get my setup, well... setup, but here's what I have:
g2nwMFSm.jpg

Technics SL-20 (not my photo). Family's had it for years, never really used it all that often. Used to be mine until it was stored at my parents place, suspect it was me who lost or damaged the original cartridge/stylus on it :/

4wjyJefm.jpg

Audio-Technica A95E cartridge with AT-10(?) headshell. Apparently these are alright for the price.

PIJmXycm.jpg

Ecler Nuo 5 mixer. Because I can't be arsed shelling out for a preamp (right now) and wanted something with phono input and volume control which a preamp generally won't do. And I already own it.

aewy5bWm.jpg

Yamaha HS-5 powered monitors. Only problem is, cats could be inclined to play with them.

And a random powered subwoofer, have a few so will just find the right one for the space.

Also, I need the actual space for this setup. If anyone has any Ikea (or otherwise) type setups, I'm all ears. Or if anyone has any ideas on what I could use between the turntable and the powered speakers that will let me adjust the volume (without having to adjust the volume on the speakers separately).

<3

CFMOORE!

I am doing my own reading/research on this, but I wanted to ask you experts, I am jumping into the records game and now need to piece together the system to play the stuff I bought.

Some considerations, I am a bit shallow and appreciate beautiful design, I love McIntosh designs, so I am curious about companies out there who've got nice looking but still quality gear.

I'd consider used/vintage McIntosh if there are some people here who know enough about them to piece together something reliable and that sounds great. In general I am asking for tip on turntable, pre-amp, amp, speakers to build the system. I'd like to be able to probably expand it to using for gaming/movie watching, but music is first and foremost for this. Budget would be $1700 max. Thanks!

I am doing my own reading/research on this, but I wanted to ask you experts, I am jumping into the records game and now need to piece together the system to play the stuff I bought.

Some considerations, I am a bit shallow and appreciate beautiful design, I love McIntosh designs, so I am curious about companies out there who've got nice looking but still quality gear.

I'd consider used/vintage McIntosh if there are some people here who know enough about them to piece together something reliable and that sounds great. In general I am asking for tip on turntable, pre-amp, amp, speakers to build the system. I'd like to be able to probably expand it to using for gaming/movie watching, but music is first and foremost for this. Budget would be $1700 max. Thanks!

Vintage McIntosh would still cost a lot, in fact they can cost more than brand new. Any vintage gear wouldn't allow you to expand into any HD gaming/movie either (HDMI, Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio, Atmos, etc).

You'd be better off buying an A/V receiver that has pre-outs. Pre-outs would let you expand/upgrade the amp while using your A/V as a signal switcher. You can save a bit of money if the A/V receiver has a phono input for a turntable, but it's getting increasingly rare for a current A/V receiver to have one. Not to worry though, you can always buy a phono stage for cheap and hook that up to any available AUX inputs.

I would budget mostly for speakers, A/V receiver, turntable, phono stage/pre-amp in that order. Good thing is that you can pick up a great set of speakers relatively cheap (~$500) since the technology hasn't changed in the past couple of decades. A Pioneer Elite or Integra A/V receiver from around 2010 can be had for ~$300. Belari, Cambridge Audio, or NAD phono stage/pre-amp for ~$200. Not sure what turntables cost these days, but last I remember that an entry level Pro-Ject Debut III or Rega P1's were ~$350.

123rl

Dammit...I bought an album without reading reviews and I've been stung. I bought the Remastered version of What's The Story by Oasis as the original is about 4x the price. At least 3 songs skip constantly during playback and there's plenty of reviews online of people having the same problem. The only side that doesn't skip is the final one, which has two songs on it. FFS how hard can it be to find an album without a major fuckup that hasn't been resolved two years later?

Dammit...I bought an album without reading reviews and I've been stung. I bought the Remastered version of What's The Story by Oasis as the original is about 4x the price. At least 3 songs skip constantly during playback and there's plenty of reviews online of people having the same problem. The only side that doesn't skip is the final one, which has two songs on it. FFS how hard can it be to find an album without a major fuckup that hasn't been resolved two years later?

Do you have a spin clean? A lot of times just cleaning a new record that has problems like that can make a major difference.

123rl

Do you have a spin clean? A lot of times just cleaning a new record that has problems like that can make a major difference.

Dude...how did you know that would work? I'm honestly shocked! I'd assumed it was a pressing issue as other people reported it on the same song. I never thought it was fixable by just cleaning it.

I don't have a cleaner but I just used a soft cloth. I cleaned every side and it works fine. Some Might Say skipped maybe 15-20 times in the first two minutes until I just turned it off. I just played it again and it skipped once, and definitely nowhere near as bad as it was doing earlier. Another song that skipped earlier, Hello, just played perfectly.

Thank you so much for the advice :D

Glad to hear! I've bought a lot of Third Man Records which are all pressed at the crappiest record plant, United. Cleaning them is unfortunately required a lot of the time.
Also, incase you're not already using one, get a carbon fibre brush like this one and clean each record before you play it, you'd be amazed at the amount of dust a record can pick up just sitting in the sleeve or from the time you take it out of the sleeve and put it on the turntable.

123rl

Glad to hear! I've bought a lot of Third Man Records which are all pressed at the crappiest record plant, United. Cleaning them is unfortunately required a lot of the time.
Also, incase you're not already using one, get a carbon fibre brush like this one and clean each record before you play it, you'd be amazed at the amount of dust a record can pick up just sitting in the sleeve or from the time you take it out of the sleeve and put it on the turntable.

Thanks, I will do it. I'm very new to this hobby so I'm learning as I go. Hopefully I haven't made any big mistakes yet. I only bought my first turntable a month ago.

I had no idea that a new/sealed record could need cleaning, or that cleaning it would fix such major problems.

IrishNinja

man, i keep finding fun stuff for $1 at goodwills/etc lately, last batch was Santana, Peter Paul & Mary, Dinah Washington & a few other greats

gonna unearth some Debarge & Sade at this rate, i can feel it

Dan-o

Signing up for this thread because fuck it, why not?

Still need to get my setup, well... setup, but here's what I have:

Nice!

Here's mine.
UTurn Orbit w/ Grado Black1 & pre-amp
Monoprice Hybrid Tube Amp (currently Chinese tubes, but waiting on Russian tubes in the mail) - Cheap, but I like it. Tubes are sexy. ;)
KEF iQ10's
KEF M500 Headphones (not shown) for when the family is asleep. :)

Shaneus

Turns out I got the model wrong of the turntable in my first post. It's actually the SL-23, because it has the speed control dots on the platter.

Also just read this, which makes it a little bit cooler, too:
Finally, (Grandmaster Flash) needed a proper turntable. Having trialled everything from Fisher Price to Magnavox, Flash stumbled across a Technics SL-23 in a Bronx store. &#8220;They were $75 a piece,&#8221; he says. &#8220;I had a messenger boy job after school so I had to save up my money to get two of these turntables. This particular turntable is considered the great-grandfather to what is known as the 1200. Every DJ that seen me with these turntables started buying Technics turntables.&#8221;
From here.

Edit: Seen here:
DJ-Grandmaster-Flash-800x360.jpg

akileese

Milan has only ever done OST to my knowledge. Don't know why they would do arrangements out of the blue (they are also doing a release of the OST to Paprika soon). Bwana's minimalist covers of the soundtrack is pretty awesome if you haven't heard it. It's coming out on limited vinyl next month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nCg3D6tnLk

The person running their twitter told me it is "The suite" so make of that what you will.

Top Bottom