• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

OSHAN

xP0shYb.jpg

That's my current setup.

Project Debut Carbon DC
Ortofon 2M Bronze
Budgie tube photo preamp
Music Hall a15.3 intergrated amp
KEF R100

Pretty happy with it.

Dan-o

^ Very nice! Seeing other people with KEFs makes me smile. :)

I think I'm going to swap out my iQ10's and hook my iQ7's up to my vinyl setup. I'm doing a hell of a lot more listening to records than watching movies lately anyway. Might as well take full advantage. :)

OSHAN

^ Very nice! Seeing other people with KEFs makes me smile. :)

I think I'm going to swap out my iQ10's and hook my iQ7's up to my vinyl setup. I'm doing a hell of a lot more listening to records than watching movies lately anyway. Might as well take full advantage. :)

Those actually double as my rears for home theater. I have some remodeling coming up, and eventually there is going to be a home theater room, so I'll be moving the r100s in there, and picking up a pair of the LS50s for vinyl. But yeah, I've really taken a liking to KEF. I haven't heard the iQ7s.

Denali

Sanus NF36M 36" -- they come in Cherry and Black as well. Bought them off Amazon.

Nice, thanks! I just moved into my new home not longer ago, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to hook up my rear speakers. I've got a modest system (polk monitor 60 ii towers, polk center, klipsch sub 12hg), but my rears are just some hand-me-down RCAs I inherited that I'll be replacing. You have any thoughts on going with a ceiling mounted solution versus using floor stands? I'm going to have to run speaker wire either through the attic or through the crawl space regardless.

OSHAN

Nice, thanks! I just moved into my new home not longer ago, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to hook up my rear speakers. I've got a modest system (polk monitor 60 ii towers, polk center, klipsch sub 12hg), but my rears are just some hand-me-down RCAs I inherited that I'll be replacing. You have any thoughts on going with a ceiling mounted solution versus using floor stands? I'm going to have to run speaker wire either through the attic or through the crawl space regardless.

I used to have a pair of Polk Monitor 70s. No complaints there. I sold them to a friend when the room I was moving everything into really couldn't support floor standers.

In regard to your question, I personally like the stands because they offer more versatility; if you think you may at some point may make changes to the room, it will more than likely be easier to adjust stands. I assume you meant wall mounted instead of ceiling mounted. Speaker stands may accommodate more speaker types as well; I know the KEFs I have would be difficult to wall mount due to their size and weight.

If you end up getting a pair of Polk Monitor 40s to match your current set up, I don't see how you'd properly wall mount those. Too large and heavy, unless you are mounting them into the wall stud.

Denali

I used to have a pair of Polk Monitor 70s. No complaints there. I sold them to a friend when the room I was moving everything into really couldn't support floor standers.

In regard to your question, I personally like the stands because they offer more versatility; if you think you may at some point may make changes to the room, it will more than likely be easier to adjust stands. I assume you meant wall mounted instead of ceiling mounted. Speaker stands may accommodate more speaker types as well; I know the KEFs I have would be difficult to wall mount due to their size and weight.

If you end up getting a pair of Polk Monitor 40s to match your current set up, I don't see how you'd properly wall mount those. Too large and heavy, unless you are mounting them into the wall stud.

I actually meant either an in-ceiling solution or some smaller satellite speakers. This is mainly for home theatre purposes (though my turntable runs through the same system). I'm only running 5.1 at the time, and I wasn't sure how a high-mounted speaker might function versus a more standard bookshelf rear setup. I'll probably end up going with some larger bookshelves and floor stands, incase I do decide to rearrange things, but figured I'd ask for some input. Thanks again!

Dan-o

Hey, so Stranger Things is undoubtedly getting a vinyl release. Soon.

Will it be an iam8bit release of extreme value? Nobody knows!

Pre-orders were up on amazon for a day, then disappeared. I got an order in and it hasn't been cancelled yet.

Also, let's talk about most desired and/or most loved records you own.

Most loved: Thrice - The Alchemy Index, although my air disc isn't so good. Looks like it was pressed off-center. :(

Most desired: right now, it's probably that Crystal Method box set. My god, that's beautiful.

Spwn

Most desired: right now, it's probably that Crystal Method box set. My god, that's beautiful.

Sort of agree, but I'd be happy with just Vegas getting a separate release.

I currently have a shit ton of stuff on the way:
  • Hypnopazûzu - Create Christ, Sailor Boy (Magenta LE)
  • Stargazer's Assistant - Remoteness of Light (LE White)
  • Alcest - Kodama (Deluxe 3LP magenta/black marble edition)
  • Opeth - Sorceress (Deluxe Rosewood 2CD+2LP+DVD-A)
  • Gost - Non Paradisi (Deluxe 3LP clear)
  • Gost - Behemoth (red)

Dan-o

Sort of agree, but I'd be happy with just Vegas getting a separate release

Understandable. I discovered Vegas because I had heard the Filter / Crystal Method version of Trip Like I Do on the Spawn Soundtrack. Decided to seek out Crystal Method and fell in love with the version without Filter's lyrics on top. :)

123rl

I had a little spree this week:

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

Metallica- - S&M

Iron Maiden - Killers

Queen - Night At The Opera

Yellowcard - every album apart from Ocean Avenue, since it's impossible to find!

I personally don't really like the art particularly, and would much prefer getting another repress of the original.
Yeah I contacted them about it, the repress will launch in January of next year after this 5th is discontinued- I agree, what awful artwork. Of all the Drive art that's been produced it's like they went out of their way to pick something super mundane... :/

Shaneus

Understandable. I discovered Vegas because I had heard the Filter / Crystal Method version of Trip Like I Do on the Spawn Soundtrack. Decided to seek out Crystal Method and fell in love with the version without Filter's lyrics on top. :)
Hah, as much as I shouldn't admit it, even though I'm sure I'd heard TCM prior, the first time I knowingly heard/recognised them was when they appeared on the South Park Chef Aid soundtrack :/

I'd kill for that box set too. I love Vegas and it's by far my favourite, but there are a couple of gems on their other albums that I'm sure would sound great on wax:
PHD, from Tweekend
Smile, from Divided by the Night
Starting Over, from Legion of Boom

Does anyone know if the box set comes with the full version of their Bizarre Love Triangle remix?

Most desired at the moment - Carpenter Brut's Trilogy, September or October can't come soon enough for the repress. No Man's Sky 4LP should be glorious as long as the mix isn't compromised. Pink Floyd going through their catalog again makes me tingle, they're one of my absolute favorites. Data Discs' Panzer Dragoon and Ship to Shore's Snatcher are all that's left on the horizon...
Hyper Light Drifter, despite its bleeding orifice price, will also be mine. And the last time I'll ever give fucking iam8bit money.

Most loved - Impossible to choose between classic rock and roll and jazz and blues and funk and hip hop and classical and folk oh my god they're all mind expanding experiences

Yeah I contacted them about it, the repress will launch in January of next year after this 5th is discontinued- I agree, what awful artwork. Of all the Drive art that's been produced it's like they went out of their way to pick something super mundane... :/

I mean, I admire their decision to comission new art, it just happens to be pretty uninspired unfortunately. There's some fantastic Drive art out there though, absolutely.

Most desired at the moment - Carpenter Brut's Trilogy, September or October can't come soon enough for the repress.[/spoiler]

Ooh, didn't know this was getting a repress. Will have to jump on that one for sure!

Dan-o

Is there a pre-order up for that one? I've been listening to it on Spotify because of this thread, and I love it.

Shaneus

Most desired:
Original pressing of New Order - Substance 1987
Sega Game Music Vol. 1
Underworld - Beaucoup Fish (might not actually be rare, but I'd still like to buy it)
The Crystal Method - Vegas (again, probably not at all hard to find)
Daft Punk - Discovery (not rare, I guess)
Rez (but not at the price iam8bit are charging for it :( )
Wipeout 2097
Shatter
Hotline Miami
(Is this still available?)

Most loved/valuable records I own:
LE of Data Discs' Out Run release, one of 50 signed by Hiro
LE of Kavinsky's OutRun
A (supposedly) very rare, never played white label of Blue Monday
Blue Mega Drive Ultimate Classics limited vinyl x2

I'm sure there's more to go in both categories, but not having my turntable even set up, it's hard to remember what I even have, let alone what I want.

Edit: Updated the "wanted" list after going through a Wikipedia page on VGM on vinyl (bolded)

Spwn

The Crystal Method - Vegas (again, probably not at all hard to find)

Finding isn't really a problem. Just go to discogs. It's just that the album hasn't been printed on vinyl since the late 90s until the CM box-set so you'd have to pay quite a lot to get it.

BeeDog

I've reached a point where I need a full-wall vinyl shelf (or two!). I have been using the smaller Ikea Kallax shelves, but I don't have enough "squares" for all my vinyls.

What can people recommend? I was thinking of simply splurging out for the bigger Kallax shelf, but I am afraid it won't cope with the weight of so many vinyls. Does anyone here have any other suggestions? If it matters, I live in Sweden so anything that can be bought in local Swedish shops is a plus. Thanks in advance!

dinoroar

Banned
Just found this thread off the back of the video game soundtracks page, looks great!

I bought a couple of records over lunch, if anyone's interested they were -

Duke of Burgundy soundtrack by Cat's Eyes

Jonwayne is Retired by Jonwayne

War Babies by Hall and Oates

Wowee Zowee by Pavement

Clown (12") by Ssion

Because I have absolutely 0 self control.

I'm seeing "Since I left you" by the Avalanches going from 66£ up to 500£ on discogs. What's going on with that?

66 is VG+ and 500 mint. Both are the 2001 release.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm seeing "Since I left you" by the Avalanches going from 66£ up to 500£ on discogs. What's going on with that?

66 is VG+ and 500 mint. Both are the 2001 release.

Could be a number of factors. I don't know what pressings you're looking at, but sample differences and a missing track could lead to the huge price jumps. Mint copies are always over valued.

Tedesco!

My kids broke the needle on my turntable, and I've found out they don't make that particular needle anymore. The local record guy (1.5 hours away) says he can rig something, but it will be around $50 to do so. Do I go with that, or just save my money and buy a new player?

IrishNinja

Moved ~500 LP's and over 1000 7"'s last weekend and it was surprisingly painless.

congrats man! whenever i finish this queue, im gonna have hundreds of reggae & hip hop (mostly singles) to dump on craigslist, no hurry but i definitely want them out before i move again

nitewulf

That's my current setup.

Project Debut Carbon DC
Ortofon 2M Bronze
Budgie tube photo preamp
Music Hall a15.3 intergrated amp
KEF R100

Pretty happy with it.

see if you can give the right speaker more breathing room. you can move the crate, re-center the console and then shift the right speaker over a bit.

Spwn

Record fair this Sunday at Club Tavastia in Helsinki. Looking forward to it. Usually the albums I actually want are pretty expensive, but it's a cool event.

I wish Finnforest's debut would get a reissue by Svart Records - the current 70€ price tag most sellers ask for it is pretty steep. Fantastic progressive rock / fusion jazz from the 70s. Svart recently released a set of live at studio -recordings of plenty of Finnish classic prog rock bands under Pop-Liisa name. I really recommend to check out that stuff and then get some Wigwam on vinyl.

I wish Finnforest's debut would get a reissue by Svart Records - the current 70€ price tag most sellers ask for it is pretty steep. Fantastic progressive rock / fusion jazz from the 70s. Svart recently released a set of live at studio -recordings of plenty of Finnish classic prog rock bands under Pop-Liisa name. I really recommend to check out that stuff and then get some Wigwam on vinyl.

All the 3 Finnforest LP's, a singles collection and 1 LP of unreleased stuff is leaving to the pressers / already is right now

8bit

Knows the Score
My kids broke the needle on my turntable, and I've found out they don't make that particular needle anymore. The local record guy (1.5 hours away) says he can rig something, but it will be around $50 to do so. Do I go with that, or just save my money and buy a new player?

ebay might have some.

Oh got this on blue vinyl yesterday. (Not my pic though)

0008222480_10.jpg

hydruxo

Preordered the clear w/ black smoke variant of the Stranger Things vol 1 vinyl yesterday
nKbkF9N.png

Two weeks ago I hadn't even heard of this show and after finishing it last week I knew I had to buy the vinyl for it. Fantastic score plus they're shipping it on Oct 27th so I'm hoping I'll get it in time for Halloween.

Top Bottom