• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Spwn

Some God Is An Astronaut albums got a repress a few days ago and can be ordered from Bandcamp. Ordered The End of the Beginning, the self-titled album, and Helios/Erebus. One of my favourite bands!

Pretty limited stock. Currently 7 copies left of self-titled and The End of the Beginning and only 2 copies of All Is Violent, All Is Bright.

14499052_1288380351181175_2382208154801799168_n.jpg

Tried to fix my old Dual 505-3 with my brother , didn't quite get it fixed but at least now the start works and can listen to some 33rpm records again. Speed switch still fucked...

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It's been a minute since I've done this.

Fqakpe1l.jpg

MF Doom - ]Operation: Doomsday
[Kanye West - The College Dropout - was curious if the mix was any different. snagged it for a buck
Hamilton Bohannon - Bohannon Disco Symphony
Angel Olsen - My Woman
Crystal Castles - Amnesty (I)
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

i7SKkiyl.jpg

Preoccupations - Preoccupations
Touché Amoré - Stage Four
Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous
Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise - Original pressing with the "I Got A" track missing from future pressings
Anti-Flag - Mobilize
Glass Animals - How To Be A Human Being

bQHLOcIl.jpg

Jerry Harris - I'm For You...I'm For Me
Death Grips - Bottomless Pit
The Colson Unity Troup - No Reservation
Liquid Liquid - Optimo
Lord Laro - Yu Have Fe Dread
Mary Jane Girls - Mary Jane Girls

T1Td2Grl.jpg

Daryl Hall John Oates - Rock 'N Soul Part 1
Cosmic Machine: The Sequel: A Voyage Across French Cosmic & Electronic Avantgarde 70s-80s
Terence Trent D'Arby - Introducing The Hardline According To Terence Trent D'Arby - This one came as padding for the cosmic machine record.
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Dan-o

The re-release was just announced yesterday/today. I got my pre-order in for both the yellow and black, but will probably cancel one by November. David Lynch is a bit of an obsession of mine and Lost Highway is my sometimes-first-sometimes-second favorite film of his.
But I'm still not convinced that Inland Empire is any good...

Xun

I've not had very good luck with records bought online recently.

Revolver (Mono) had pops throughout, Blackstar was massively warped and now the Special Edition of A Moon Shaped Pool is fucked as well.

Luckily I could return Revolver and I'll be able to get AMSP sorted, but I missed my chance of returning Blackstar unfortunately (I didn't play it straight away). The only way I could see myself sorting it out is by buying the record again in store and taking back the warped one...

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Legitimate heart palpitations tonight upon seeing an OG copy of Catherine Wheel's Chrome sitting above the just-in bin. Like, holy grail material for me. Dreams crushed upon seeing the $225 price tag. I can't afford this stupid hobby.

Omlagus

Any issues with the Matrix soundtrack reissue?

Figured I'd ask since the last Matrix product I bought, the original film on bluray, had a nasty green filter over it to match the tone of the sequels, lol.

Off topic, but that green tint is actually intentional. The Wachowski's wanted to have a distinctive look for scenes that took place in the matrix. Scenes in the real world look different so it become somewhat apparent what is taking place where.

Dan-o

Off topic, but that green tint is actually intentional. The Wachowski's wanted to have a distinctive look for scenes that took place in the matrix. Scenes in the real world look different so it become somewhat apparent what is taking place where.

Diving a little deeper, there's a lot of discussion about what is fair "intention" and what is "revisionism." Those of us who saw it theatrically in 1999 would appreciate the chance to see it again without the added-much-later-only-after-the-sequels-became-a-thing green tint.

Now, I'm not a huge stickler for this kind of thing, personally, and it would never stop me from purchasing a film I love, but I only wish the Wachowski's were aware enough to continue to offer the original theatrical color-timing as an option. Especially because, for first-time viewers, they're not supposed to know or truly feel what's in and out of the matrix before it is explicitly revealed as such. :)

On topic, umm, yeah, I'd like to know how the soundtrack holds up. It was one of my favorite CDs for a long time. edit: I see that that's the score. Hmm....

Any issues with the Matrix soundtrack reissue?

Figured I'd ask since the last Matrix product I bought, the original film on bluray, had a nasty green filter over it to match the tone of the sequels, lol.
I think the quality is really great despite missing a few tracks, but it was also around 14$ when I purchased as well.

As for the blue/green debate, fuck that modern green tint noise, original oracle apartment for life! :p

123rl

It's been an expensive week for me:

Yellowcard - Yellowcard. Grey vinyl and a nice foldout box

Green Day - Revolution Radio. Red vinyl from the GD store. Love this album

Blink 182 boxset - 7 albums and a sexy box

And the big one for me. I bought the rare Thrice - Major Minor album from Discogs. It's almost mint but has a slight tear on the inner sleeve. I can forgive that though since I paid £40 and it regularly goes for £130+. It's the first edition too, not the yellow repress

Dan-o

And the big one for me. I bought the rare Thrice - Major Minor album from Discogs. It's almost mint but has a slight tear on the inner sleeve. I can forgive that though since I paid £40 and it regularly goes for £130+. It's the first edition too, not the yellow repress

Awesome! I have that same one. Excellent find at that price.

123rl

Awesome! I have that same one. Excellent find at that price.

I was so happy when I saw it but I expected something to be wrong. It shouldn't be that cheap. BUT...it's in almost mint condition apart from one small tear along the inner record sleeve for LP 2. It's a fair compromise since I paid about 1/3rd of the price it would normally cost

My NEWNOW Off the Air record I posted about last page arrived. I got a candy apple translucent green color and it sounds fantastic. Packaged better than 98% of things I order. All for $5.04. Insanity

123rl

Anyone pick up the remastered Be Here Now release yesterday? Just like WTSMG album, I had a huge problem with skipping and jumping songs. I cleaned each side of the records and it fixed it. It's fine now but it's very frustrating. It's weird that it's only ever happened to me twice now but they were both Big Brother label releaaes

andylsun

Nicolas Jaar Sirens deluxe edition

Cover image is under a scratch off lottery ticket surface with a quarter inside the clear plastic outer

iCWGDiCl.jpg

BCmEHFFl.jpg

5VvwWmpl.jpg

Shaneus

Bit late and slightly old news, but I got this from my fiancee a few weeks ago as a belated birthday present:
4rFkCfJl.jpg

Itching to get my setup finalised so I can bask in it's glory, has an amazing tracklisting.

Shaneus

Fuck, just read through the rest of this page and saw that Voyager Kickstarter. Damn, kicking myself that I missed out on it!

123rl

Big week for me:

Beady Eye - Different Gear, Still Speeding

I absolutely love this album

Foo Fighters - Skin And Bones

Duh. Foo Fighters. Of course it's amazing.

Dustin Kensrue - Carry The Fire (white vinyl)

Dustin's last solo album. It's Thrice-lite and I love it. I am such a fanboy for Dustin Kensrue though. He can't make a bad record even if he tried his hardest. This is such an incredible album

anyone got any of the 2016 Pink Floyd reissues?
Ya, Piper At the Gates, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, with Animals pre-ordered to round out my collection. I've loved the quality so far, almost to the point of picking up Wish and Dark Side to compliment my copies of the originals.

Edit: I should note that I don't have the best equipment in the world, under 600$ I'm sure. The crowd seems receptive on discogs so far and I haven't heard one report of physical defects.

123rl

His Christmas album is fantastic, too.

Agreed. When I started buying vinyl I just wanted to buy albums I loved. I didn't want to start collecting discographies, but I can see it happening with some artists. If I was going to pick one to start, it would be Dustin Kensrue.

123rl

Ya, Piper At the Gates, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, with Animals pre-ordered to round out my collection. I've loved the quality so far, almost to the point of picking up Wish and Dark Side to compliment my copies of the originals.

Edit: I should note that I don't have the best equipment in the world, under 600$ I'm sure. The crowd seems receptive on discogs so far and I haven't heard one report of physical defects.

I was going to buy The Wall but I was lucky to find an old copy for £10 in Manchester. It's in great condition too. I'm going to buy the remaster of DSOTM though as it's so hard to find a decisive information on that release. There are literally hundreds of various releases

I also have a copy of The Wall purchased last year / beginning of this year and I can't recommend it enough. Absolute silence between tracks and an incredible remaster that made my jaw drop.

Dan-o

Agreed. When I started buying vinyl I just wanted to buy albums I loved. I didn't want to start collecting discographies, but I can see it happening with some artists. If I was going to pick one to start, it would be Dustin Kensrue.
Definitely... I only wish I was smart enough to grab Please Come Home when it first came out... resale prices are silly.

Just saw this posted elsewhere...
http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/8718
DUSTIN KENSRUE
More Thoughts That Float on A Different Blood - 7"
Dustin Kensrue is the vocalist from Thrice. This Record Store Day Black Friday contains covers of Mumford and Sons' "Sigh No More" and Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek".

I usually skip RSD and just hit up the stores a few days later when the crowds aren't as ridiculous, but I might try to get this 7".

nitewulf

Thanks for the info, I'm planning to get DSotM, The Wall and may be Meddle. Already have a good copy of Wish you were here. Not too familiar with the other stuff. These all seem like remastered from high res digital, but some of that could indeed sound very good. And vintage clean copies are hard to find.

123rl

Definitely... I only wish I was smart enough to grab Please Come Home when it first came out... resale prices are silly.

Just saw this posted elsewhere...
http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/8718
DUSTIN KENSRUE
More Thoughts That Float on A Different Blood - 7"
Dustin Kensrue is the vocalist from Thrice. This Record Store Day Black Friday contains covers of Mumford and Sons' "Sigh No More" and Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek".

I usually skip RSD and just hit up the stores a few days later when the crowds aren't as ridiculous, but I might try to get this 7".

Do you think this will be available in the UK? I saw that too and I so want it! Where's a good place to buy it that won't hurt too much? I guess eBay is my best bet atm

Dan-o

Do you think this will be available in the UK? I saw that too and I so want it! Where's a good place to buy it that won't hurt too much? I guess eBay is my best bet atm

I didn't even think about it until now, but since this is a "black Friday" RSD, I would guess only US stores participate. So, eBay is probably the easiest choice, since there will definitely be people flipping it on there. If I venture out on BF and come across two copies, I'll let you know :)

123rl

I didn't even think about it until now, but since this is a "black Friday" RSD, I would guess only US stores participate. So, eBay is probably the easiest choice, since there will definitely be people flipping it on there. If I venture out on BF and come across two copies, I'll let you know :)

If you can get me a copy for a decent price I'll be forever in your debt

nitewulf

Also just ordered the new Nicolas Jaar vinyl, it's limited edition so go for it if you are a fan. His stuff is a no brainer at this point.

Bit late and slightly old news, but I got this from my fiancee a few weeks ago as a belated birthday present:
4rFkCfJl.jpg

Itching to get my setup finalised so I can bask in it's glory, has an amazing tracklisting.

SNAP! Might need to hunt this down myself.

tumblr_ofu3lwkJx81vfg7u3o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ofu3lwkJx81vfg7u3o1_1280.jpg

Finally got this in the mail today!

Local store got the URP exclusive clear version. Only 500 made. Of course I snatched it up.
Was a great thing to be playing in the background when trick r treaters were coming through last night.

hydruxo

Local store got the URP exclusive clear version. Only 500 made. Of course I snatched it up.
Was a great thing to be playing in the background when trick r treaters were coming through last night.

Nice! I missed out on that clear version, but I'm just glad I got one in general. Definitely a perfect OST for Halloween!

Shaneus

It's pretty great. I'm going to keep an eye on for more people who (re)release singles as 12-inch box sets. I'm very much in love with this one right now:

PS. Not jealous of anyone here who's scored a copy of the Stranger Things vinyl. Nope, not at all.

123rl

Oasis - The Masterplan

Lovely boxart and some interesting and insightful notes on the inner sleeves. The album is a classic, of course.

Eminem - Shady XV

Awesome collection of different artists as a "bonus" album on top of a great Slim Shady album of new songs

123rl

I will absolutely still try if you like, but this might be the cheapest option. Just saw this on twitter:

http://kingsroadmerch.com/dustin-kensrue/view/?id=10509&cid=1921

$7 USD for the 7" plus about $7 USD for Fed Ex shipping to UK.

:)

Ha, thanks. I just came here to share the same link to let you know :D

I've just ordered the double pack red/black marble vinyls. It's the cheapest I've seen the original with postage. It goes for about £40 inc. postage. I've paid $55 for both to the UK, so I'm quite happy with that

Top Bottom