• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Picked up J Dilla's Donuts today. No idea why this is a two disc set, but I'll take it. It seems like it's a half speed master because 10 minutes of music takes up nearly a whole side.

123rl

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (2016 version)

One of my absolute favourite albums of all time. I wanted it on vinyl from the day I bought my turntable but I've never found a second hand copy I would be happy to buy. Sealed copies were just way out of my price range. This is perfect though. It came from Amazon and is mint from top to bottom. The record sounds truly incredible and it's probably going to be my default record of choice if anyone asks me why I just bought a turntable

Xun

I received my replacement 2nd set of A Moon Shaped Pool SE today and I have the exact same issues, albeit with less visual damage.

Some of the tracks are nearly unlistenable with the amount of static they have. :(

I'm really not sure what to do.

Also it doesn't do it justice, but here's what my 1st set looked like:

U0J8dbN.jpg

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Do you have any cleaning options available to you? Those moon shaped pool discs come in heavy shedding sleeves.

I did three separate cleaning steps just to get it to sing clearly.

Xun

Do you have any cleaning options available to you? Those moon shaped pool discs come in heavy shedding sleeves.

I did three separate cleaning steps just to get it to sing clearly.
It's a truly baffling decision.

I only have a brush, but since that's not enough what would you recommend? Preferably something not too expensive...

My dad did have a Zerostat somewhere, but unfortunately he's lost it.

amnesiac

My understanding is that Spin Cleans are good for dust and other obvious surface dirt, but if you really want to get deep in the grooves and clean your records to the best they can get you need a vacuum cleaner. I've been eyeing this 3D printed cleaner. It's gotten good reviews and seems to be the cheapest option (~$115) for a vacuum cleaner aside from building your own contraption. Works the same way as those $600 VPI cleaners except you hand crank it and supply your own vacuum.

Greyvvolf

My understanding is that Spin Cleans are good for dust and other obvious surface dirt, but if you really want to get deep in the grooves and clean your records to the best they can get you need a vacuum cleaner. I've been eyeing this 3D printed cleaner. It's gotten good reviews and seems to be the cheapest option (~$115) for a vacuum cleaner aside from building your own contraption. Works the same way as those $600 VPI cleaners except you hand crank it and supply your own vacuum.
I started off with a Spin Clean but found it was good for doing a large amount of records at a time. If you had only one then it was kind of a long process. Started looking at the vacuum type cleaners but were all too expensive. Then found the 3D printed one from this thread that amnesiac is talking about. I bought one and just have to purchase a Shop Vac on Thursday.
It's actually very well made and doesn't feel cheap at all. I can see he's made small revisions since that YouTube video. He talked about having the parts that are attached to clean 7" records a brighter color, which it is now. The hockey puck also have a small circle on the top which helps keep track of full circles. Easy to assemble too.
That's only what I can say so far though. I have to wait until I buy a Shop Vac and try the cleaning solution first before I can fully recommend it.

akileese

I found out that a recently sold copy of Enter Shikari's Common Dread (still sealed) sold for about 320 USD. I'm kind of hoping they reissue it because I've got a ton of their 7 inch records and it's the only LP I'm missing. I refuse to pay that.

123rl

Metallica: Hardwired To Self Destruct on Green Marble vinyl. It was exclusive to the Metallica store and I was a bit wary about preordering a modern release from America due to possible pressing issues, damage in transit etc. Well, it arrived in perfect condition and it sounds fucking STUNNING! This is, hands down, one of the best sounding records I've ever heard. I'm sat listening to it now and I'm almost shocked. I looked on Discogs and a few people have commented the same: about how great it sounds, the incredible dynamics, the deep and clear bass, the pin-sharp vocals etc. Im so impressed

YaBish

Anyone here have lateralus by tool? I have the opportunity to buy the 2005 pressing for $28 and was wondering about the vinyl quality. I'm not a huge tool fan, but I love the album and it isn't super available.

Spwn

Anyone here have lateralus by tool? I have the opportunity to buy the 2005 pressing for $28 and was wondering about the vinyl quality. I'm not a huge tool fan, but I love the album and it isn't super available.

As far as I know, the only official pressing is the picture disc, all the others are bootleg. Did some research after getting one of those bootlegs myself. It sounds like ass and what I've read about the official one, it sounds bad even considering it's a picture disc. I'd wait for official reissues now that Tool is back to being active.

wenis

I achieved remarkable results giving that Lateralus picture disc a couple spins through a spin clean. I don't have a lot of the issues other people had complained about that release. Little to no surface noise and rather clean release. For a picture disc mine sounds fine.

And TOOL doesn't strike me as the kind of guys to give a shit about doing reissues. They haven't bothered with them over the last twenty years. Why would they now?

Not even 10,000 Days received a vinyl pressing.

Dan-o

My original pressing of Lateralus sounds pretty bad, despite being in pretty damn good condition. Goddamn picture discs. It's also disappointing that they messed with the track order, something I remember them saying they "had" to do to fit it all on two records. I think that's why they never bothered with 10,000 days, honestly.

TOOL is one of my favorite bands ever, although I listen to them far less than I used to. I'd kill for an AEnima re-issue, though. I could see them doing re-issues when {new album} finally comes out. Puscifer and APC never shied away from vinyl.

I paid far too much for that Opiate re-issue on CD, directly from the band. I should get rid of that some day.

IronRinn

As far as I know, the only official pressing is the picture disc, all the others are bootleg. Did some research after getting one of those bootlegs myself. It sounds like ass and what I've read about the official one, it sounds bad even considering it's a picture disc. I'd wait for official reissues now that Tool is back to being active.
Are they? Amazon (not third party) is selling it new is the only reason I ask.

Have Opiate and Undertow ever gone out of print? Those two are a dime a dozen.

Dan-o

I've seen Lateralus everywhere (Fry's, B&N, local record shops)
Definitely not as limited as it once seemed to be. $28 is a good price though.

Opiate and Undertow are even more common, for sure. AEnima is the only one that's long gone.

YaBish

Thanks for all the info guys, I decided to pass on it in favor of participating in gaf Secret Santa.

Fingers crossed for a repress down the road.

123rl

My Black Friday purchase from Kingsroad arrived today: I got the Dustin Kensrue double package, with his covers album and the BF 7" EP called More Thoughts That Float On A Different Blood. It took a week to arrive from America, in perfect condition, and it was a reasonable price. The main album has been available for a while and I've listened to it plenty of times on Spotify. It's an incredible album and something that only Dustin Kensrue could do this successfully.

Dan-o

^ Nice!
My local shop didn't have any DK, so I'm probably going to order what I can in the new year. Really wish I could get my hands on a copy of Please Come Home, but that hasn't been available for years.

Marginally related: My copy of Dredg's Catch Without Arms showed up. I missed out on the lime green version earlier in the year, but I'm totally happy with this black copy. Hoping for another re-issue of Leitmotif some day. My 45RPM El Cielo is glorious. :)

123rl

^ Nice!
My local shop didn't have any DK, so I'm probably going to order what I can in the new year. Really wish I could get my hands on a copy of Please Come Home, but that hasn't been available for years.

Marginally related: My copy of Dredg's Catch Without Arms showed up. I missed out on the lime green version earlier in the year, but I'm totally happy with this black copy. Hoping for another re-issue of Leitmotif some day. My 45RPM El Cielo is glorious. :)

It's still available on his website. I think it's about $5. It sounds good but tbh it's not as essential purchase. It's only two songs

wenis

Can anyone recommend any particular pressings of Wu-Tang's 36 Chambers or Nas' Illmatic non XX version?
You'd want to get the original pressing of 36 Chambers. All of the recent pressings of that album sound like they were dubbed on cassette then transferred to cd and then pressed to vinyl. Almost no bop in their bass and just this grating tinny sound. And even then the original doesn't sound great. That album suffers from a ton of issues ranging all the way back from its original production. So scraping together a nice sounding version of that album would take a whole lot of work on RZA's part or whoever owns the rights to the masters at this point and I just don't see that happening.

As for Illmatic, the original pressing (US, not European) and the XX version are definitive versions of that record, but if this is about getting a non-remixed cover then you'll want to track down the simply vinyl or get on down edition. beware of a bootleg and a solo Sony release. That's if you don't want to spend $50 on a G/VG copy of an OP.

Thank you for such a quick and informed response! I was eyeing the 2000 reprint of Chambers and you echoed a lot of what others were saying, I'll just go with an original. After all the years of listening to them, I don't mind spending a bit lol

It also clued me into the fact that I need to pick up B.I.G. as well!

wenis

Thank you for such a quick and informed response! I was eyeing the 2000 reprint of Chambers and you echoed a lot of what others were saying, I'll just go with an original. After all the years of listening to them, I don't mind spending a bit lol

It also clued me into the fact that I need to pick up B.I.G. as well!

If you're referring to ready to die you'll probably want to get the 1995 reissue of that one. I recently found a nice copy of that for $60 at a local shop. It's the 2 disc edition, that has the complete album that you would normally associate with the 16 track version, but the cover is this:

2tAWaaD.jpg

The baby cover is the original edition, but it's an EP so it's only 9 or so tracks long. Sounds real good and clear and bounces along quite well.

8bit

Knows the Score
Just some things:

Found my old Yello single was cracked so had to stick it in a frame.

1AGRK

Got Altern-8 Full On Mask Hysteria repress, it's banging.

1AGRL

Also, got Autechre represses this week and and will pick up GAS - Box tomorrow so it's an ambient techno party at my house.

If you're referring to ready to die you'll probably want to get the 1995 reissue of that one. I recently found a nice copy of that for $60 at a local shop. It's the 2 disc edition, that has the complete album that you would normally associate with the 16 track version, but the cover is this:
I was indeed referring to that, found the same 2LP you're mentioning. While I have your ear.... What do you know about Life After Death? That 3LP from 97 worth it?

Thanks for all the knowledge regardless!

wenis

I was indeed referring to that, found the same 2LP you're mentioning. While I have your ear.... What do you know about Life After Death? That 3LP from 97 worth it?

Thanks for all the knowledge regardless!

I've never personally heard Life After Death in person, but looking at their engineering, mastering and lacquer cut by info it seems to be in capable hands. At least original pressings and the Simply Vinyl repress all seem to come from the same master and lacquer. Doesn't seem like you could go very wrong, tho the 2014 repress seems to be rife with noise and skipping issues.

123rl

Muse - The 2nd Law boxset. I saw a second hand copy in above good condition in Manchester today so I bought it. Great album and a cool box with a CD, DVD, and some artwork

R-3909673-1365982959-5362.jpeg.jpg

I never did replace my Moon Shaped Pool, however I contacted Mondo regarding Twin Peaks (sent them a video showing the ridiculous warping to go with the awful sound of the record) and a free replacement is on its way from the States now.

If it's yet another duff Rainbo run I'll be disappointed.

Something that has been causing headaches for me lately is the mp3 codes that come with some records. Got Nick Cave's Skeleton Tree - code doesn't work. Much more annoying than that is my copy of El-P's 'weareallgoingtoburninhellmagamixx vol 3', (vinyl sounds amazing btw). The voucher code is supposed to include Vol 1 & 2, which I can't find in any format anywhere. The website for the codes doesn't even work for that.

I never did replace my Moon Shaped Pool, however I contacted Mondo regarding Twin Peaks (sent them a video showing the ridiculous warping to go with the awful sound of the record) and a free replacement is on its way from the States now.

If it's yet another duff Rainbo run I'll be disappointed.
My Twin Peaks from the first batch was flawless so I hope yours is the same.

Your avatar is incredible by the way.

Dan-o

My replacement Twin Peaks sounds great, for what it's worth. First copy was bad enough that I couldn't enjoy it.

My replacement Twin Peaks sounds great, for what it's worth. First copy was bad enough that I couldn't enjoy it.

That's promising! I'd waited so long for Death Waltz to release it after their initial announcement that it was gutting when I finally got it on my table.

I will say, I thought the artwork was disappointing. Twin Peaks has so much going on, so many rich (and downright weird) characters and locations that removing most colour and basing it on the red room floor was a strange choice. The use of blues matches the blu ray box set I guess...

I'm willing to bet Fire Walk With Me will be similar but with red/orange instead of blue as well.

Shaneus

Recent pick ups:

Zomby - Where Were U In '92?
Machinedrum - Human Energy
Twin Peaks soundtrack
Caladan Brood - Echoes of Battle
That cover (Twin Peaks?) reminds me exactly of PSB - Electric (have this on vinyl too, which I'd forgotten about until recently):
Pet_Shop_Boys_-_Electric.png

IrishNinja

merry christmas to meeeeeee
duck down sold out quick, paid amazon a few bucks more & was so happy! now i just gotta track down Nocturnal one day

2tAWaaD.jpg

The baby cover is the original edition, but it's an EP so it's only 9 or so tracks long. Sounds real good and clear and bounces along quite well.

see i have the full double LP remaster, but i know you said a beat got changed or something? i respect that one being like the original disc i had but man that cover throws me off

wenis

see i have the full double LP remaster, but i know you said a beat got changed or something? i respect that one being like the original disc i had but man that cover throws me off

I'd have to double check that beat change or it was more likely a sample was dropped on later pressings. I'll need to look into that.

But yea that cover is not the best one. Tho there was a Promo remaster in 2004, that one has the baby cover and the full 16 track album.

123rl

Metallica: Master Of Puppets

I got the 2015 reissue and it's a wonderful record. It sounds truly superb. The packaging is damn poor but it's worth it anyway. This is one of the best sounding records in my collection

BenN

Metallica: Master Of Puppets

I got the 2015 reissue and it's a wonderful record. It sounds truly superb. The packaging is damn poor but it's worth it anyway. This is one of the best sounding records in my collection

Is there a little "CB" in the dead wax for the 2015 master of puppets?

If there is it was cut by Chris Bellman, which pretty much guarantees an amazing sounding record.
The recent ride the lightning remastered LP was done by him too (I have this and can confirm it sounds amazing) , as well as kill em all (which i don't have yet).

wenis

Is there a little "CB" in the dead wax for the 2015 master of puppets?

If there is it was cut by Chris Bellman, which pretty much guarantees an amazing sounding record.
The recent ride the lightning remastered LP was done by him too (I have this and can confirm it sounds amazing) , as well as kill em all (which i don't have yet).

which ones are those? the blackened labelled releases?

Top Bottom