• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

8bit

Knows the Score
Although we plan to implement a "make an offer" option there is no bidding to speak of.

The big differentiator for buyers on top of looking better and cleaner, is that it's easier to find stuff. There are no endlessly long lists containing slight variations of the same record. Our goal is to try and emulate the experience of browsing for records at your local shop as best as we can. We even have Spotify playlists for every record that is available on that service. So you can try it before you buy it.

For sellers, we're less expensive than everyone else. We don't charge any listing fees and our seller fee is half of that of Discogs and a third of that of EBay. It's also really quick and easy to make a listing. New records take seconds to list, while used LPs take a bit longer depending on how descriptive you wanna get with the grading.

Good luck! Personally, it's the variation aspect of discogs that appeals to me as usually I'm looking for a specific remix or pressing (even down to specific groove etchings in one case) but I can see why an impulse purchase oriented store front might work. Will have a look once it's available internationally.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
IMG_2061_zps88140df1.jpg

Talk Talk - It's My Mix 12"
Janet - Control
A.R. Kane - Up Home! + When You're Sad 12"s
Arthur Russell - Another Thought reissue
Pan American - Quiet City
Hunx & His Punx - Hairdresser Blues

Wanted to pick up Variete - In Style, but it was $50 and that was a bit much to drop even though I could flip it on discogs for a good chunk more than that.

ryuen

That Janet - Control record is one of my favorites in my collection.

10561129_1452084615042198_1218933363_n.jpg

Utada LP collection complete! Discogs is forreal ruining my life.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

That cover is the stuff of dreams. Looks like Light In the Attic is reissuing it, too:
Ok. Well now that the cat is out of the bag, I will shed a little light to wet the tastebuds... A Canadian digger turned a copy of this up 2 months ago and sold it to Light in the Attic. In a great irony, it was the same guy who we asked to go to the studio in Vancouver to ask about the recordings done there in the mid '00s. In an even greater irony, he found the record in his storage unit just thumbing through the refuse of some old buys. Such is life. The copy currently on eBay landed at THE SAME record store that Aaron bought his copies from years ago. It has been confirmed as having been recorded in Calgary, despite the address on the back for R.A.W. Corp which is actually a PO Box at a mailboxes etcetera type place in Beverly Hills.

The label had me come in and I found the disc under the coffee table, while Matt was on the phone. I initially thought it was a total hoax, but they handed me a CD-R and listening to it on the ride home I was pretty blown away. It's a great follow-up to an incredible record, and is decidedly even more personal and strange. The unintentional nods to Badalamenti on the first disc take a plunge into deep red room turf on "Romantic Times" and in some ways he feels like a necromancer waiting to make an appearance on that vaunted show. 5 years before it aired. I'll save the rest for the liner notes. Suffice to say, it's a doozy, and for me a future big one in the real people / twilight zone camp.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
This is the kind of hoax I would support though. Like I'll be god damned if you're going to convince me Piltdown Man isn't the missing link.

That cover.

omgkitty

This is almost as bad as that dude putting those Kosmischer Laufer albums out on Kickstarter. I mean I'm kind of okay with it because the music is still good, but how about you just put your music out like a normal dude?

big ander

Yeah, I hadn't even considered it until today in this thread actually. Gonna pretend I never even heard the theory and continue to think that there can be awesome unexpected music in dusty corners of record stores.

omgkitty

Yeah, I hadn't even considered it until today in this thread actually. Gonna pretend I never even heard the theory and continue to think that there can be awesome unexpected music in dusty corners of record stores.

Yeah until his third album resurfaces in another 6 months? :p

There is a record company that puts out disco tunes found like this, let me go dig it up

Stephen Encinas ‎– Disco Illusion

In the space of a week this month I interviewed Gilles Peterson and Joey Negro. Both times Stephen Encinas' "Disco Illusion" came up. Both times it was agreed that the record is absolutely amazing. That grizzled disco nerds such as Peterson and Negro are stamping their approval on it probably tells you all you need to know.

But stopping there would be a shame: "Disco Illusion" has a remarkable story behind it. The single was recorded in 1979 in Trinidad & Tobago by a group of local musicians, and released on the obscure Kalinda label. It was a rare blend of R&B vocals and weighty West Indian bass backed with a cosmic instrumental vamp that lifts the track into the stratosphere midway through. There was only one problem: the record failed to get distribution so no one ever heard it. Until last year, that is, when someone found a box full of copies in a Trinidadian warehouse. The folks at Invisible City Editions then reissued the record and here we are today

Song link

I've come to the conclusion that I don't care if Lewis is some kind of hoax, this album is great either way. That also makes record 560 for my collection.

toxk_02

Black Republican
Turns out the US Copyright Office lists both Lewis albums. I assume you can't pick a random date in the past when applying for a copyright (semi-serious question)?

http://cocatalog.loc.gov

L'Amour (1983)
Registration Number: SR0000046835
Type of Work: Music
Registration Number / Date: SR0000046835 / 1983-08-19
Title: L’Amour / [all music and lyrics composed by Lewis ; performed by] Lewis.
Imprint: c1983.
Publisher Number: R.A.W. Records R.A.W. 1001
Description: 1 sound disc : 33 1/3 rpm ; 12 in.
Notes: 10 selections.
Copyright Claimant: © Randall Aldon Wulff
Date of Creation: 1983
Date of Publication: 1983-07-13
Authorship on Application: words, music, arr.: Randall Aldon Wulff, whose pseud. is Lewis.
Previous Registration: Prev. reg. 1983.

Romantic Times (1985)
Registration Number: SR0000061873
Type of Work: Sound Recording and Music
Registration Number / Date: SR0000061873 / 1985-04-24
Title: Romantic times / [all songs composed by Lewis Baloue ; performed by] Lewis Baloue.
Imprint: Beverly Hills : R.A.W. Corporation RAW 1002, c1985.
Publisher Number: R.A.W. Corporation RAW 1002
Description: 1 sound disc : 33 1/3 rpm ; 12 in.
Copyright Claimant: © ℗ Randall A. Wulff
Date of Creation: 1985
Date of Publication: 1985-03-18
Authorship on Application: words, music, performance, recording: Randall A. Wulff, whose pseud. is Lewis Baloue.
Contents: We danced all night -- Bon voyage -- Don’t stop it now -- It’s a new day -- So be in love with me -- Bringing you a rose -- Where did my love go away? -- As the boats go by.

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you guys all know about a site that I'm involved with.

We're a brand new online marketplace for vinyl records. The best way that I can explain what we're doing, is that we're like Ebay for vinyl and every record has a "Buy It Now" option.

The site is going to launch later today, but you can sign up for our beta newsletter right now and be informed the minute that we go live.

Also, for those coming to Pitchfork this weekend come see our booth at the CHIRP record fair.

Sorry for the shameless promotion.

No offense, but Discogs is pretty much perfect these days and you're gonna have a hell of a time convincing anyone to use your site over them, especially when it's so no frills.

DiscoJon

Banned
thumb_325_tmp_2F1406152015683-jew377kb0fqolxr-766a9de7996a26c7317bec5c7209497b_2FAlbum%2BCover.jpg

Lewis

Romantic Times

http://lightintheattic.net/releases/1396-romantic-times

"Earlier this year, we released the mysterious, bewitching L’Amour, a 1983 private press record thought to be the only release by one of music’s true lost talents: Lewis.

So lost, in fact, was Lewis, he eluded every effort to track him down. Scant details were known: just a series of possibly apocryphal stories about a sports car-driving Canadian with a model on his arm and a habit of skipping town when there were bills to be paid.

Deciding that Lewis’ spider web-delicate songs demanded to be heard, we put the album out anyway, offering to present the due royalties to anyone who could prove they were Lewis.

One sure thing was this: Lewis was a man of many names: Randall A. Wulff among them. Now we have either found another alias – or perhaps even his real name – on the sleeve of a completely unknown album.

Sourced soon after the re-release of L’Amour, Romantic Times is the 1985 follow-up to L’Amour – and it’s released as Lewis Baloue. The name may be slightly different, but this is absolutely our man: a familiar blond posing on the sleeve, a familiar, tortured voice pouring his heart out over languid synths and synthetic waltz beats.

Remastered from a sealed, vinyl copy of the ultra-rare album, the album was discovered in the vaults of DJ and collector Kevin “Sipreano” Howes in Vancouver, BC. It’s so rare that what is, at present, the only other known copy – found in the same Calgary store where Aaron Levin discovered a batch of sealed copies of L’Amour – is presently soaring into quadruple digits on eBay.

Even engineer Dan Lowe, credited for working on the album at Calgary’s Thunder Road Studios, remembered little about the session other than that Lewis seemed to be “under the influence”. Yet the music is utterly captivating.

The album further fleshes out the Lewis myth – we see him pictured in that white suit with his famous white Mercedes and a private jet too; we hear him focussing more intently on matters of the heart, and appearing to unravel in the process. “I felt like I was witnessing a full-blown exorcism of a phantom clad in the finest linen,” writes filmmaker and historian Jack D. Fleischer in his brand new liner notes. “This record went further [than L’Amour ]. It was a personal plea, of sorts. Something had gone wrong. Nerves were clearly exposed.”

It paints Lewis, then, as being more like a David Lynch character than even his debut did, exposing the darkness beneath the sheen. The album is presently being readied for release to the throng of new fans Lewis has found, willingly or not. The man himself remains a total enigma.

First ever LP reissue, first time on CD & Digital

All tracks newly re-mastered

LP housed in deluxe Stoughton “Tip-On” gatefold jacket

Liner notes by Jack D. Fleischer

All CD & LP Pre-orders include immediate MP3 download of the full album

LP includes download card for MP3 of the full album

Color vinyl editions:
200 on “Malibu Blue” wax (LITA Vinyl Subscriber exclusive)
500 on “Pastel Pink” wax (LITA.net pre-orders exclusive, limit 2 per customer)"

omgkitty

Finally picked up both of them. Sent them an email and hope they'll send me a download code for L'Amour since I won't get the record until September.

whitehawk

Banned
So I finally got a reciever for my record player that I've had for a while and the only room I have fornitnis underneath my turntable. Is this a bad idea? For both interference and heat issues.

Recurve sounds pretty good for $40 though.

big ander

So I finally got a reciever for my record player that I've had for a while and the only room I have fornitnis underneath my turntable. Is this a bad idea? For both interference and heat issues.

Recurve sounds pretty good for $40 though.

It's not recommended at all but if you have nowhere else to put it and your table has legs and the exhaust on the receiver has a good amount of space I imagine you'd be okay.

I think of it as similar to having speakers on the same shelf as your table: not ideal in the slightest, but sometimes you just have to fit stuff a certain way.

I spend way too much time surfing on Discogs, which in the past few weeks has resulted in the following (my first colour vinyl!):
The White Stripes - Hand Springs and Fell In Love With A Girl
vLXxlqf.png

Wilco - Speak Into The Rose
(please ignore the 70s wallpaper)
UPr4SBy.png

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
What's with all these non-Lewis posts in this thread. You all need to get with the times - the Romantic Times.

big ander

tbh it's only slightly overpriced though, in the sense that discogs says the median's like 180 for that pressing and if you're grabbing it in Amoeba it's a sure thing and you don't have to pay shipping. So it's not an above average price for that record, but it is ridiculous that Beck's stuff has been pressed so little and there should be more copies of Sea Change than there are.

Erekiddo

I bought my copy of Sea Change from there 10 months ago, sealed, for $75.

Supply and demand, sure, but Jesus Christ. It's almost tripled.

amnesiac

I don't get why artists like Beck and Sigur Ros don't keep their vinyl in print. If they were both widely available they would be among the best selling vinyl records.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Forgot to post this when it came in:

68844ce3-ca51-4ac7-aevqktx.jpg

From this weekend:

781b1f99-e141-4616-b1n5jdb.jpg

David Bowie - Love is Lost (Hello Steve Reich Mix), don't know the B-Side, purely bought for the DFA/James Murphy remix.

27eeb3cd-41cc-4327-88d5jer.jpg

Both sides are great soundtracks. I'm gunna hunt down the movies now.

f3551d2d-72eb-4827-83jjkjt.jpg

Original 1994 Pressing in Near Mint condition. As soon as I saw it I had to buy it.

the shop that had both the Massive Attack/Jazz Masters record also had an original pressing of Metallica - Ride the Lightning.

I'm totally going back this coming friday (pay day) to pick it up... hopefully it's still there.

No offense, but Discogs is pretty much perfect these days and you're gonna have a hell of a time convincing anyone to use your site over them, especially when it's so no frills.

We're not looking to compete with Discogs. We're a different kind of site. Discogs is great if you know exactly what you're looking for (especially if what you're looking for is rare). We want to be a site that specializes in browsing for vinyl. Our original idea for the site was that it needs to feel like we're emulating the experience of crate digging.

We're a very small team doing this for sheer love of the hobby rather than a profit. We're nowhere near feature complete, but I think what we've managed to build so far is a solid foundation.

Anyway.

My new setup. Which also is not feature complete.

Top Bottom