• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Questions |OT| of questions that don't deserve their own threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

In Chrome, after I leave my tabs open and unattended to for a long time and click back on them, they appear blank for a few seconds before reappearing. Why does this happen? It's really annoying, is there any way to prevent this?

When programs aren't being actively used for a certain amount of time, the OS (assuming Windows) will write the data for the program that is saved in RAM to a portion of your HDD so the RAM is freed up for programs you are actively using. The delay you are experiencing is most likely the time it takes for your HDD to seek to the data and put it back into RAM.

Get more RAM or a faster HDD or turn off the paging file for the OS (but I'm not so sure that is a good idea).

In Chrome, after I leave my tabs open and unattended to for a long time and click back on them, they appear blank for a few seconds before reappearing. Why does this happen? It's really annoying, is there any way to prevent this?
Do you know if this happens in other browsers? Also, does it happen with any webpage, or for example, just webpages with videos or a Flash application?
Also, basic things like do you normally have a ton of tabs open/other programs running? Do you have sufficient RAM?

I've had problems like this with other browsers where it seems like the browser is trying to free up memory by storing the page somewhere else, but then of course it takes a moment to re-access the page.
Edit: Beaten, although I would not turn off the pagefile. There might even be something you can do in the browser, but I'm not familiar with the Chrome config.

finowns

I was thinking suppose there are space aliens and we meet them. Is there a possibility that they would use the metric system?

I guess I am asking if the metric system is universal like math or is it arbitrary like any other measuring system humans have come up with.

I am fairly ignorant in math and science. Hopefully this not a dumb question.

I am thinking it is not universal.

I was thinking suppose there are space aliens and we meet them. Is there a possibility that they would use the metric system?

I guess I am asking if the metric system is universal like math or is it arbitrary like any other measuring system humans have come up with.

Depends really. It helps with scientific purposes in dealing with making it easier to translate units. But they could use some other kind of counting system than we use and that we couldn't comprehend.

Also depends on if certain sects of number theory are arbitrary or not (are numbers constant through the universe). But then that gets pretty philosophical so...

KarmaCow

Probably not, it's mostly a human construction.

The units themselves are fairly arbitrary in the grand scheme though they have been retroactively tied to constants in the universe like the something based on the speed of light. Even then, measuring a meter for example as a function of the speed of light requires using some agreed upon unit of time, which is also not some universal constant.

There is also the issue of the metric system using a base 10 counting scheme, which is also arbitrary as far as I know.

Then there are other issues, like how the metric system makes "sense" but we also use the imperial system for many other things. Who knows what aliens would consider logical or straightforward.

There is also the issue of the metric system using a base 10 counting scheme, which is also arbitrary as far as I know.

No reason why metric HAS to be in base 10 though.

Base 10 is completely arbitrary and a recent invention actually. Some of the oldest civilizations used base 60, which incidentally is why we count seconds, minutes and hours in 60 intervals. (and days split into two 12 hour intervals as well)

Dereck

I want to buy a copy of DOOM 1 for someone for the PC. Where can I buy a copy of DOOM 1 PC that can be played on Windows XP/Vista/7.

Credit Card Time!

I was applied for a Chase Freedom card, I was denied. If I remember correctly, they said my lack of existing credit lines and my income were at fault. But that was about 3-4 months ago and my income has roughly doubled in that time. I'm pretty sure my credit score is around 600-650 according to the paperwork chase sent me when they denied me.

Where do I go from here? Should I just go to my bank and get a card or apply for another one? I've been looking at the Student Discover it card, as my main use would be gas stations and it has a 5% cash back starting in July.

Smilax

I want to buy a copy of DOOM 1 for someone for the PC. Where can I buy a copy of DOOM 1 PC that can be played on Windows XP/Vista/7.

I believe you can purchase it on Steam and it will work. I haven't really tried it myself. I know it's available there though.

Ostinatto

in the states, when someone says "Hey, you know what?" is usually followed by bad news or some controversial idea only? or people usually says good news after that? or both?

i'm learning english and this thing bothers me a lot. thanks

in the states, when someone says "Hey, you know what?" is usually followed by bad news or some controversial idea only? or people usually says good news after that? or both?

i'm learning english and this thing bothers me a lot. thanks
Anything could follow that. It depends on tone.

Oreoleo

Yeah it's really just another way to say something like, "this just crossed my mind." It's a casual way to change the topic of conversation or bring up a new idea.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I know it's unusual to tip for carryout, but might it be more appropriate if I'm picking up 20 pizzas that will have to be ready within an hour of the place opening with apparently only one or two staff?

t-ramp

What does "G/A/F" stand for?
I keep seeing it on a bunch of thread titles.
Germany/Australia/Florida
Yeah, lots of weird stuff happens in those places and you're supposed to guess in which place the particular story took place.

I know it's unusual to tip for carryout, but might it be more appropriate if I'm picking up 20 pizzas that will have to be ready within an hour of the place opening with apparently only one or two staff?
I dunno, couldn't hurt. Leaving a tip, even if unnecessary, beats feeling guilty about it.

Oreoleo

Yes, definitely. The staff who will be opening the store will get there ~30-45 minutes earlier than they would otherwise to accommodate your order.

So I'm stupid when it comes to credit cards. I'm only 19 so I don't get the concept.

I currently have a $250 some balance on my credit card. I want to buy something that's ~$650 with the credit card. This will obviously bring my balance in to the negatives. What happens at that point? Do I pay it off later or what? I seriously don't get it.

So I'm stupid when it comes to credit cards. I'm only 19 so I don't get the concept.

I currently have a $250 some balance on my credit card. I want to buy something that's ~$650 with the credit card. This will obviously bring my balance in to the negatives. What happens at that point? Do I pay it off later or what? I seriously don't get it.

Just don't do it.

Thanks, this knowledge will come in handy when I need to use a credit card later in life.

As you increase your credit score and all that, which is another topic I don't really know much about and cannot really help you with, you'll get access and offers from companies to allow you to get credit cards with higher and higher limits. Most maximums are between like one and two thousand dollars rather than the 250 you have now.

This could be wrong, but it's what I (think I) know as a fellow 19 year old.

Zoe

Very few cards will let you go past the limit.

As you increase your credit score and all that, which is another topic I don't really know much about and cannot really help you with, you'll get access and offers from companies to allow you to get credit cards with higher and higher limits. Most maximums are between like one and two thousand dollars rather than the 250 you have now.

This could be wrong, but it's what I (think I) know as a fellow 19 year old.

Very few cards will let you go past the limit.

Ah, thanks guys! That makes a bit more sense.

Li Kao

Ah guys ! I've got a question that fit the 'would't sustain a thread' bill.
I glanced over the posters thread and reflected on the fact that my walls are pretty nude.
At first I vaguely remembered my phylosophy teacher saying something nasty about the mental state of a person like me, the bastard (kidding, the man was great).
Then thinking about it a little more I evidently came to the conclusion that I want something with meaning on my walls, not print for the sake of print.

Then it came together and that's where I need you, Gaf !
I remembered another teacher, art one, who made a class session all about a picture. The photography showed a crowd of people on a sidewalk, looking at something that was outside the picture, like a parade. The people looked in the photographer's direction, IIRC.
The point was a reflexion about on screen / off screen, things like that. It was fascinating and this picture and what it represents nevers really left me.

So... is there a famous picture that fits my description and was probably used by the teacher or am I out of luck and that doesn't ring any bell ?

I remembered another teacher, art one, who made a class session all about a picture. The photography showed a crowd of people on a sidewalk, looking at something that was outside the picture, like a parade. The people looked in the photographer's direction, IIRC.
The point was a reflexion about on screen / off screen, things like that. It was fascinating and this picture and what it represents nevers really left me.

So... is there a famous picture that fits my description and was probably used by the teacher or am I out of luck and that doesn't ring any bell ?
Any other details? Colour? Era?

Li Kao

Any other details? Colour? Era?

I would go for black & white, always remembered it that way.
As of the era, this is a tricky one as the memory is foggy at best and I could mislead you. But if I had to say something, I would say 50's, the crowd is well suited in my mind, no disparaging clothings.

Nose Master

Is there anyway to remove stickyness with spray paint? Is it just the brand of paint, or because I painted a cheap vinyl material? It's been a few days since applying, so time to set/dry shouldn't be causing the issue.

matt360

Here's my question: What does, "Thank you based God." mean and where the hell did it come from? I see it used seemingly at random and often "God" is replaced with names such as "Robert Downey JR." or "Ryan Gosling."

It seems stupid and I have no desire to start using this phrase, but I'd at least like to know what it's all about.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Here's my question: What does, "Thank you based God." mean and where the hell did it come from? I see it used seemingly at random and often "God" is replaced with names such as "Robert Downey JR." or "Ryan Gosling."

It seems stupid and I have no desire to start using this phrase, but I'd at least like to know what it's all about.

it's comes from a song or something by a rapper named Lil B, iirc. What it means, I'm just as much in the dark as you.

Urban Dictionary to the rescue!
In an interview with Complex, Lil’ B was asked what “based” meant.

“Based means being yourself. Not being scared of what people think about you. Not being afraid to do what you wanna do. Being positive. When I was younger, based was a negative term that meant like dopehead, or basehead. People used to make fun of me. They was like, ‘You’re based.’ They’d use it as a negative. And what I did was turn that negative into a positive. I started embracing it like, ‘Yeah, I’m based.’ I made it mine. I embedded it in my head. Based is positive.”

Thank you Based God.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=based+god

It is stupid (like most internet memes), but I suppose it creates a sense of belonging when only people with similar interests get the reference.

Dereck

If you can't afford something with your own money don't use a credit card to buy it. I recommend only buying things with a credit card that you can actually afford. So when you do use a credit card for buy something that costs, $100 for example, you can pay that off immediately. That's how you raise your credit score. You buy stuff with your credit card and you pay it off with your own money.

Ostinatto

i'm so sorry, but i'm laughing so hard staring at your avatar and reading your post,i guess i'm happy today, and i'm sorry again, i dont how credit cards works in america :(

Ghizz

mind block at the moment,

but what is the actual term for a game manuscript? like all the writing/speech/ different plot arcs thats all written down.

remember seeing a thick book image for deus ex (i think)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom