• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Questions |OT| of questions that don't deserve their own threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

Who doesn't look at a toilet before using it? Seriously?

In their own home? Especially at night? It's not unthinkable if you're used to a household where the seat is usually down. Unless you live with people incapable of flushing, or who urinate all over everything, there's no pressing need to scope out the contents of the toilet bowl and you can wind up just going on autopilot if you're still groggy and not fully coherent.

I'm not particularly anti-seat-up, since if you know it could go either way you'll be used to checking, I'm just saying that's the usual reasoning behind the seat up/seat down debate.

B should be taking place at all times anyway for cleanliness and appearances sake.
I was taught to leave the seat down but the cover up because bacteria would breed faster with everything sealed up. Might depend on humidity and household temp though.

I don't think toilet questions are appropriate for this thread. You know it will turn into a 10 page debate.

That nun picture also could have been its own thread, at least pre-evil Google.

Ezalc

Not sure this is the right place to ask but here we go. My computer broke, it doesn't turn on anymore. I checked the wall plug the wire and etc but all of those work. It's just the computer itself that doesn't seem to turn for whatever reason. I opened up the power supply box in my computer and can't seem to find anything that burned out or etc. Can anybody help me out please?

Lirlond

Not sure this is the right place to ask but here we go. My computer broke, it doesn't turn on anymore. I checked the wall plug the wire and etc but all of those work. It's just the computer itself that doesn't seem to turn for whatever reason. I opened up the power supply box in my computer and can't seem to find anything that burned out or etc. Can anybody help me out please?

Does it beep when you press the power button? Do the fans start? What do you mean by "Won't turn on".

Also you shouldn't really open your PSU there are some big capacitors in there that could give you a nasty shock even when powered down.

Ezalc

Does it beep when you press the power button? Do the fans start? What do you mean by "Won't turn on".

Also you shouldn't really open your PSU there are some big capacitors in there that could give you a nasty shock even when powered down.

Nothing happens at all. No beeps, the fans don't move nothing. Every time I plug it in there's a small spark by the plug and nothing happens. I figured it was either the wire or the wall plug causing it but after switching both to no avail that only leaves my computer in question.

Well I had it unplugged for a few hours before I opened it so I assumed it was safe. Can it shock you even if it's unplugged?

I should mention that there was a thunderstorm in the past few days. Now I thought it might have been the issue even though my building has lightning rods and such protective measures against a strike. However like I explained I didn't smell any burnt circuits, when I looked inside nothing looked like it had melted due to some overload or something. The plugs and accompanying electronics that were plugged in still work fine. Only my computer is having this problem.

Lirlond

Try another plug socket, there's a chance it burned out in the storm. Replace any fuses in the plug itself as well, could be a short.

If those don't fix anything, try replacing your pcu with an old one(I wouldn't recommend buying a new one until you've ensured its the pcu at fault). If after this it still refuses to turn on you will need to replace your motherboard(Though I doubt it, since the hard drives and fans aren't turning on).

edit: I wouldn't touch the inside of the PSU under any circumstance, a capacitor can hold a charge a long time(they're basically mini batteries) but release it quite easily, it'll discharge into just about anything.

Ezalc

Try another plug socket, there's a chance it burned out in the storm. Replace any fuses in the plug itself as well, could be a short.

If those don't fix anything, try replacing your pcu with an old one(I wouldn't recommend buying a new one until you've ensured its the pcu at fault). If after this it still refuses to turn on you will need to replace your motherboard(Though I doubt it, since the hard drives and fans aren't turning on).

edit: I wouldn't touch the inside of the PSU under any circumstance, a capacitor can hold a charge a long time(they're basically mini batteries) but release it quite easily, it'll discharge into just about anything.

I've tried other sockets didn't work. The original socket it was connected to is fine. My speakers and monitor are both hooked up to it and both are working normally. I don't have an old pcu my last one burned out because it over-heated, I thought this might be the case with this one but like I said before I didn't notice any of the signs of that happening with this one. I will say that the new pcu I got is less powerful than my old one, my cousin says that could have something to do with it but I replaced the pcu months ago so I find it odd if it would only start to act up now. I think I may just have to get a new pcu since I have no old one.

Damn, how much of a shock can those things give off?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Was recently told that if I head down this path of serious jiujitsu, I am going to get cauliflower ear to a degree. Even if I wear headgear.

Do i wear headgear and wear it often, running the risk of having it cath on a gi and getting ny neck cranked badly, or do I just learn how to drain my ears myself?

Lirlond

I've tried other sockets didn't work. The original socket it was connected to is fine. My speakers and monitor are both hooked up to it and both are working normally. I don't have an old pcu my last one burned out because it over-heated, I thought this might be the case with this one but like I said before I didn't notice any of the signs of that happening with this one. I will say that the new pcu I got is less powerful than my old one, my cousin says that could have something to do with it but I replaced the pcu months ago so I find it odd if it would only start to act up now. I think I may just have to get a new pcu since I have no old one.

Damn, how much of a shock can those things give off?

The wattage is low but the current can be pretty high, they vary in size, but it can be lethal.

I'd recommend switching out the pcu, it'd be better if you could test it out on something else. Make sure you check the plug as well, not sure how US plugs are set up, but try using a different cable, theres a chance that it could be that.

Ezalc

The wattage is low but the current can be pretty high, they vary in size, but it can be lethal.

I'd recommend switching out the pcu, it'd be better if you could test it out on something else. Make sure you check the plug as well, not sure how US plugs are set up, but try using a different cable, theres a chance that it could be that.

Well I live in Brazil so the plugs here are different than US ones, thus why I usually need to use an extension. But even then I switched that several times and nothing seems to work. I already tried using a different cable and it didn't help. Switching the pcu seems to be the only option I guess.

Was recently told that if I head down this path of serious jiujitsu, I am going to get cauliflower ear to a degree. Even if I wear headgear.

Do i wear headgear and wear it often, running the risk of having it cath on a gi and getting ny neck cranked badly, or do I just learn how to drain my ears myself?

Try asking in the mma thread. EvilLore, boogie, and a few other guys train in jiu jitsu and can probably help you out. All I can tell you is definitely make sure you drain it before you roll because it will tear right off it catches - just happened to Sakuraba a few months ago.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'd ask this on the gaming side, but......you know........the gaming side......

Anyway I'm looking to sell my Xbox360, and while I never input my credit card number into it for a Live account, I still want everything erased. What's the best/easiest way to go about doing that?

Also, how much do you think I could get for this? Thinking of putting it on Craigslist.

Xbox360 slim, refurbished, bought half a year ago and still in perfect looking condition (still have the box and manuals)
250gb HD add-on
two official regular 360 controllers

Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise
GTA IV
Portal 2
Mirror's Edge
Gears of War 1
Farcry 2
(original Xbox game, all BC)
Doom 3
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Jade Empire
Sega GT 2002 / JSRF
Crimson Skies
Outrun 2

At least $300?

Throavium

Can a battery lose the capability to be recharged after a certain amount of time or a certain amount of full re-charges?

Phone battery, etc.

Why do so many sci-fi movies have bipedal robots? AT-STs in Star Wars, the mechs in Avatar, Matrix sequels, etc. I'm no expert but it seems to me bipedalism is inherently less stable than tri- or quad, as they have a higher center of gravity and are usually top-heavy. Everytime I see one I think all they need to do is tip it over. I'm probably the only one but it's hard for me to take them seriously as fighting machines.

Oreoleo

I'd ask this on the gaming side, but......you know........the gaming side......

Anyway I'm looking to sell my Xbox360, and while I never input my credit card number into it for a Live account, I still want everything erased. What's the best/easiest way to go about doing that?

If you go to system settings, select storage, then press Y with your hard drive highlighted you will be given the option to format the drive.

Couldn't say regarding price. But you will get more if you sell the system and games separately instead of all together. The question is if you want to bother dealing with that many transactions.

Oreoleo

Asking again, apparently this is a real stupid question since no one is answering, haha.

The only thing I can think of is maybe whatever muscle you are moving is stretching your eardrum a bit so it vibrates from sound waves less. But I don't really know :p

Cyan

Banned
Asking again, apparently this is a real stupid question since no one is answering, haha.

I think it's the opposite problem: no one here is smart enough to figure it out. :/

Transferred from the other thread:

Anybody have this greasemonkey script file or a place where I can install it?

I want to use here on Gaf and hide a bunch of threads I have no interest it.

Looks like the code is in the first post of that thread, no? You should be able to manually c/p it into a new script in Greasemonkey.

How much would Batman's suit cost in real life? You know, the ones he uses in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Also, would his wings actually work in reality? Would they have enough, like, lift?

From host.madison.com:

In rechargeable lithium-ion batteries - the most common type, used in things like laptop computers and cell phones - one of the two electrodes is graphite, a form of pure carbon consisting of sheets of carbon atoms.

Lithium ions are forced between the carbon sheets when the battery is charged and come back out again when the battery is discharged, explains Robert Hamers, a Wisconsin Distinguished Professor and chair of the UW-Madison chemistry department.

"The first few times that a battery is charged, a chemical reaction occurs on the graphite, forming a thin protective layer," Hamers says. "Over time, this layer slowly becomes thicker and eventually begins to block the flow of electrical current needed to charge the battery, degrading the performance."

A second reason the storage capacity diminishes is physical wear of the graphite itself, he adds. "There is a large volume change as the graphite expands and contracts. Over time that causes the graphite to flake and small particles to break off."

In nickel-metal-hydride batteries, the second-most common rechargeable battery, a small amount of water helps carry electrical charges between the two electrodes. Each time the battery is charged or discharged, side reactions convert some of the water to hydrogen and oxygen, which slowly leak out of the cell. When there is not enough water left, the battery dies.

Hey You

Looks like the code is in the first post of that thread, no? You should be able to manually c/p it into a new script in Greasemonkey.

I tried, but either I'm doing something wrong or what cause I don't see the option to actually ignore threads here on Gaf.

JAVK

When someone says they are a "kid of the eighties", does that mean they were born in the 1980's, or they were a kid during the 1980's?

Oreoleo

Photoshop help:

Can anyone give me a (layman's) breakdown of what this person is doing at about 1:00 in this vid? The selecting the areas, pasting the texture, moving it, etc. As detailed and for-dummies as could be would be great. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERxwSsA6DhM

He's using the magnetic lasso tool to select the outline of the pants, imports a flat texture, uses some warp/liquify tool that I don't have the exact name for since I'm away from my PC to give the illusion that the texture is wrapped around her legs in 3D space, and then does an inverse selection to select everything outside of the pants and deletes the excess texture. Hope that is helpful enough.

Just got back from WoW after a couple months break

Regarding Transmogrification, I got a rogue lvl 62 and I wanted the vengeful pvp season 3 look, but I cant. Got the full heirloom set for the rogue

How so?

Lerozz

Just got back from WoW after a couple months break

Regarding Transmogrification, I got a rogue lvl 62 and I wanted the vengeful pvp season 3 look, but I cant. Got the full heirloom set for the rogue

How so?

Do you have that vengeful pvp set in your possession ?

commedieu

Banned
How do I go about finding out what type of HDD a laptop has? Bluescreens the second it gets to windows.

Its an older IBM. Going to try to put a new one in, and gift it to a cousin.

I assume its a 2.5inch sata. Its about 5 years old.

What year did our telescopes become powerful enough that it became obvious that a Star Trek level of other inhabited planets was clearly a fantasy?

Oh, I know it was pretty obviously a fantasy from the start for a lot of other reasons, but I'm asking specifically about when we got to the point that we could see far enough to know that even with warp drive we're not going to be meeting anyone out there.

Was it obvious in the '60s, was there a period of time during TNG/Voyager/DS9 when there was still a glimmer of hope, or can we not even be certain now?

Orayn

What year did our telescopes become powerful enough that it became obvious that a Star Trek level of other inhabited planets was clearly a fantasy?

Oh, I know it was pretty obviously a fantasy from the start for a lot of other reasons, but I'm asking specifically about when we got to the point that we could see far enough to know that even with warp drive we're not going to be meeting anyone out there.

Was it obvious in the '60s, was there a period of time during TNG/Voyager/DS9 when there was still a glimmer of hope, or can we not even be certain now?

People were speculating about life on Mars until we actually started doing fly-by missions and landing probes there without finding any. It's not something you can easily discern with a ground-based telescope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom