• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subsistence > The Almighty RE4

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Matlock said:
Your standards are impossibly low. :-|

Damn, your right.

Back to Shaqfu.

I don't dislike RE4, I just don't think it's "that" good. But its still a great game.

Fair enough I was just messin with u. There are people who love Code Veronica and despise RE4 so you're not so bad.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Leatherface said:
Jesus christ you guys are pathetic. lol
Stop flaming the guy.

Flaming me or Solidsnakex? I can handle myself don't worry. Anyone who takes GAF too seriously needs to take vacation.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
WOW...RE4 pretty much trumped all games created this gen. One of the only games that I feel is better than RE4 is this one:

4012927022375.jpg

Don't get me wrong, their were a lot of good games released this gen, but, few reached the quality that was RE4. It had/has more replay value than most games(without the inclusion of the extras). Then, there is Mercenaries, Assignment Ada, and Seperate Ways. It has the number one spot, and no, not even Metroid lays a finger on it.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence does indeed have more replay value then RE4 though. Most comes from its online mode, but, also, the inclusion of the old Metal Gears, as well as harder difficulties.

Face it, Team RE4 and Kojima owned this gen.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Oldschoolgamer said:
Face it, Team RE4 and Kojima owned this gen.

Damn right.

Maybe I should try RE4 again to see what the fuck the fuss is about. I'm still thinking it's only because the graphics are amazing.

If that were true the PS2 version would be average at best. I can tell you this that there are many different ways to play RE4 just like there are many different ways to play MGS3. Its just that if you play RE4 like previous RE games then you won't have any fun what so ever. Someone good at the game needs to demonstrate how we play the game for you to fully appreciate the combat system.

Leatherface

Himuro said:
Maybe I should try RE4 again to see what the fuck the fuss is about. I'm still thinking it's only because the graphics are amazing.

No way. The gameplay is second to none. Shooting things in RE4 is so satisfying. I love being hunted by intellegent enemies that react to the different things I do. I love the way the enemies react to the way I shoot them. For example, I'm low on ammo and makng a run for it because I'm getting swarmed and an enemy is in front of me. I shoot out his knee cap, the enemy slams face first into the ground and I run over him. Next, I turn around and toss a grenade to take out the whole bunch. It's little things like this that make the game so damn fun.

Especially Mercenaries because it's stepped up a notch and the level design kicks ass. There's just so much strategy in the gameplay mechanics not just mindless unsatisfying run and gun. THAT is what puts this game WAY over the top for me.

I could actually care less about the story etc.. Graphics while awesome aren't what makes this game special either.

Jan

Gameplay in MGS3 was so shitty...Improves in Subsistence?

And control n RE4 are good, far better than previous installements but far for flawless

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Jan said:
Gameplay in MGS3 was so shitty...Improves in Subsistence?

That is an understatement. Gamespot definitely underated Subsistence I would of hit it up with at least a 9.4. But just like RE4 you can play Subsistence in a way that its not very fun. The first time I beat Subsistence I played the whole game on Normal without killing a single soldier, scientist or boss. I was heavily rewarded for doing so and I had a blast from beginning to end. I interogated almost everyone in the game I even
stuck up The End for his parot.

-Rogue5-

Too tough to call which I like better. I'd probably have to give it to MGS3 simply because I've like the MGS series as a whole more than the RE series. Only RE4 has absolutely dropped my jaw, while everything MGS has been incredible. I mean it's a given that a Kojima MGS game is going to be solid gold, but you never know with RE.

Why does everyone not like Twin Snakes? It's like MGS but with MGS2 graphics - the main interactive story stuff is still there and the only thing different are a few cinematic tweaks (which, even if you think they suck, aren't big enough to rune the otherwise flawless MGS)... Did everyone not like MGS1?

Himuro said:

The original MGS3 has a camera that got in the way of seamless gameplay.
Thankfully, Subsistence fixed that. But RE4 still packs far more excitement in the gameplay department.

Oldschoolgamer

The only thing that really needed work in RE4--besides the story--was the so called, "intelligent" enemies. They needed to do more stuff like when they threw the cocktails at the tower. They were zombie like--to say the least--. Gameplay wise, the controls were a upgrade, but Outbreak still tops it in that department.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Leatherface said:
o fuck you it was a typo. lol

I was gonna ask him wether he was laughing at the typo or the suggestion that Ganados are intelligent.

Edit: Yeah thats what I thought he meant. I pretty sure that he was comparing the enemy intelligence to previous RE games Reilly.

Gattsu25

Banned
Resident Evil 4 is a contendor for GOTG IMO...especially considering how it (hopefully) revitalized a falling franchise

MGS3:S is the game I would pick for GOTG, however

gameplay was so damn amazing...the entire game was awesome...no clue how they managed to make the last 3 or so hours so much better than the rest of the game

Leatherface

Reilly said:
actually, I didn't notice the typo. I was making fun of the enemy AI.

Oh. heh. :lol

Well the enemies may not be F.E.A.R. smart, but I think it's awesome how they will bust through windows, flank you and come up from behind, set up ladders to get to you etc.. Gives a sense of realism and tension ya know?

Reilly

Magicpaint said:
The original MGS3 has a camera that got in the way of seamless gameplay.
Thankfully, Subsistence fixed that. But RE4 still packs far more excitement in the gameplay department.

The free-roaming camera in subsistence was shit. I don't know how anyone could play the game with the new camera. As for RE4's exciting gameplay, I guess you find shooting wooden pegs stuck in clock gears fun.

Oldschoolgamer

Reilly said:
The free-roaming camera in subsistence was shit. I don't know how anyone could play the game with the new camera. As for RE4's exciting gameplay, I guess you find shooting wooden pegs stuck in clock gears fun.

Yea, since that was the only part of the game...

Jan

Enemies in RE4 were neither intelligent nor fast but also were an improvement from the previous games.

Anyway I think that overall RE4 is a better GAME to play and MGS3 is a better game to watch. I really loved to sit 30 minutes to see cut scenes form MGS3 but gameplay was shitty. In fact was so shitty that Kojima himself said that cenital camera is gone for good.

About twenty years since Stamper bros invented that camera in spectrum games...Have last long enough.

Reilly said:

:lol
I actually liked that, in RE4, they made shooting fun. Plain and simple. The guns were satisfying to use, the boss battles were excellent and varied, and the game had countless action set pieces that puts anything in MGS3 to shame.

I didn't like MGS3's original camera, but I guess you like switching to and fro from first and third person every minute, or bumping into enemies that should be seen but can't be, thanks to the wonky camera.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Jan said:
Was shitty due horrible camera...

Basically they fixed the camera big time and a ton of other stuff like hit detection. The only price we payed was a bit of slowdown but it was well worth it.

The free-roaming camera in subsistence was shit.

Wow. I beat the game with no kills and 23 alerts using that shitty camera. I must of been doing something wrong. :lol

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Himuro said:
Both cameras compliment eachother. You use them depending on the situation. If you're in a tight spot and need to see around a corner more easily, switch it to 3d camera. If you want to get a bigger view of your area, switch it to old view. Playing MGS3S with only one camera style really limits how you can play.

This guy knows his sh*t.

Then hugging the wall and peaking around the corner becomes pointless

So what you're saying is that the new camera makes it easier to play, therefore it is shitty. Now I understand u like a challenge but I don't like that type of challenge. I rather play on European Extreme than hinder my characters view-point.

Oldschoolgamer

Shaheed79 said:
Wow. I beat the game with no kills and 23 alerts using that shitty camera. I must of been doing something wrong. :lol

Yea...I must have been failing at first, seeing as though, I wasn't getting caught, and using the radar.

Leatherface

I can't argue anymore. I'm just gonna go ahead and use Apple Jacks type reasoning. It's just fun OK?!! I can't explain it, but the gameplay really kicks ass for me. I could play this game every day and not get tired of it. THAT is why RE4>>All this gen. If you don't share my opinion then you are a terrorist. =P

Jan

That´s good to hear. It was really annoying switching cameras constantly to see what was going on...

I´m really looking forward guns of the patriots

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I use the old camera (henceforth known as "tard camera") for scenes that I think having a cinematic view proves useful. For example, indoor scenes...and tunnels usually. But in general, I can't stand it.

I really, really disliked MGS3. I was just horrible at it. I couldn't see anything. In Subsistence, I love the core gameplay mechanic. I can move slowly, look around wherever I want, stalk, interrogate....anything. I love the game. I got it Wednesday and I am almost finished.

The game was improved so much. You can still take it really slowly or you can amp up the pace because of the non-tarded camera.

Reilly

Magicpaint said:
:lol
I actually liked that, in RE4, they made shooting fun. Plain and simple. The guns were satisfying to use, the boss battles were excellent and varied, and the game had countless action set pieces that puts anything in MGS3 to shame.

I didn't like MGS3's original camera, but I guess you like switching to and fro from first and third person every minute, or bumping into enemies that should be seen but can't be, thanks to the wonky camera.

At least I can run and shoot at the same time in MGS3.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
RE4 is awesome because there is so many ways to kill the enemies is really awesome for example

there is an annoying monk throwing you arrows from a far place you don't have bullets for the sniper weapon, but wait! there is fire lamp above his head! shoot the lamp watch the fucker burn to ashes.

another way is an enemy running at you shoot his legs he either kneel or falls if he kneels go to him and press the green button Leon will use a suplex move, if he falls go near him take out the knife and start cutting.

another cool part was in the third island there was this part right after the merchant that enemies open the gate threw some granades at you and then they quickly shut the gate... sooo what did you? you could shoot everytime they opened the gate but! that will ammo and you'll probably miss a lot... you look at your inventory... hmmmm ohh mine launcher... cool let's try it! so you wait till they open the gate... bam they opened it you quickly shoot a mine to one of the enemy it will get attached... they threw the granade and shut the gate... you hear the beeping... until it explodes and you hear groans and moans.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Leatherface said:
I can't argue anymore. I'm just gonna go ahead and use Apple Jacks type reasoning. It's just fun OK?!! I can't explain it, but the gameplay really kicks ass for me. I could play this game every day and not get tired of it. THAT is why RE4>>All this gen. If you don't share my opinion then you are a terrorist.

RE4 is the last game that needs justifying for CGOTY or CGOTG from fans and reviewers. GAF voted it GOTY by a huge margin so most of GAF agrees with your sentiments. I was just giving Subsistence its rightful place at RE4's side. The original was too flawed in several crucial areas to be considered a true contender to RE4 but Subsistence changed all of that. Ever since I beat RE4 I hungered for a game that approached it greatness and I finally found it in a re-release of all places.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
nice edit

but the game put you in a lot different situation so you can have fun experimenting with different weapons, beside that RE4 feels like a balls to the wall interactive action movie I mean the part where you are storming the ganados camp with the help of an helicopter that was awesome it felt like you were part of this big budget film. explosions everywhere, the helicopter helping you, buildings getting destroyed, a shitload of enemies some with gatling guns and shit.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Error2k4 said:
RE4 is awesome because there is so many ways to kill the enemies is really awesome for example

there is an annoying monk throwing you arrows from a far place you don't have bullets for the sniper weapon, but wait! there is fire lamp above his head! shoot the lamp watch the fucker burn to ashes.

another way is an enemy running at you shoot his legs he either kneel or falls if he kneels go to him and press the green button Leon will use a suplex move, if he falls go near him take out the knife and start cutting.

another cool part was in the third island there was this part right after the merchant that enemies open the gate threw some granades at you and then they quickly shut the gate... sooo what did you? you could shoot everytime they opened the gate but! that will ammo and you'll probably miss a lot... you look at your inventory... hmmmm ohh mine launcher... cool let's try it! so you wait till they open the gate... bam they opened it you quickly shoot a mine to one of the enemy it will get attached... they threw the granade and shut the gate... you hear the beeping... until it explodes and you hear groans and moans.

MGS3 has just as many ways to deal with enemies a lot of them having nothing to do with killing them. I would explain some of the cooler ones that I used but they are definitely spoilers.
Lets just say that I had enemy soldiers so hungry that they would eat ANYTHING edible I threw on the ground. And then you could capture animals and use them as weapons like pokemon and sh*t.

So many more too. I'm not saying one is better than the other just that this isn't a reason to praise RE4 over Subsistence or vice-versa.

RE4 better than MGS3?? You HAVE to be kidding. It´s incredibly overrated, yeah, it´s a great game, almost a 9/10 IMO but come on, you have to be retarded if you can´t tell how freaking disjointed this game is.

I haven´t played it in a while, but IIRC most of the progression doesn´t make sense. In terms of environment, there really isn´t much reason why you access to the different areas, it felt more like Capcom mixed the levels they had from all different versions.

Also, story for me is a very important factor. Regrettably, here it is almost nonexistant, and what is there, is worthy of a fanfic...a really bad one. It doesn´t explain convencingly why Umbrella was gone, why Leon became an agent, there is no motivation to any of the enemies Leon has to face. Sure I´ll admit most of MGS3´s bosses are as cartoony as they come, but at least the main bosses had a clear motivation and a fleshed out backstory. RE4´s had none.

Controls, as well, need some work. RE4 really did needed a strafe function or at least some way of sidestepping, hugging walls is not ideal in the least. Also, moving while shooting is very important, and RE4 still neglected it.

Logan Cano said:
RE4 better than MGS3?? You HAVE to be kidding. It´s incredibly overrated, yeah, it´s a great game, almost a 9/10 IMO but come on, you have to be retarded if you can´t tell how freaking disjointed this game is.

I haven´t played it in a while, but IIRC most of the progression doesn´t make sense. In terms of environment, there really isn´t much reason why you access to the different areas, it felt more like Capcom mixed the levels they had from all different versions.

Also, story for me is a very important factor. Regrettably, here it is almost nonexistant, and what is there, is worthy of a fanfic...a really bad one. It doesn´t explain convencingly why Umbrella was gone, why Leon became an agent, there is no motivation to any of the enemies Leon has to face. Sure I´ll admit most of MGS3´s bosses are as cartoony as they come, but at least the main bosses had a clear motivation and a fleshed out backstory. RE4´s had none.

Controls, as well, need some work. RE4 really did needed a strafe function or at least some way of sidestepping, hugging walls is not ideal in the least. Also, moving while shooting is very important, and RE4 still neglected it.

Renders your opinion on RE4 almost useless. You can't even be objective if you have this clear bias going into videogames.

slade

I liked RE4 better. It got down to the gameplay a lot faster then MGS3. Then again, just about every game released this gen minus MGS2 probably got to the gameplay faster then MGS3. With MGS3, after the first ten minute cutscene, you go into a codec conversation, then there's two seconds of gameplay and then yet another codec conversation and then when you go to save, there's yet another codec conversation afterwards. That's friggin' overkill and one of the things I wish Kojima would change. I know he likes to pretend that he's some kind of a movie director but unless he's going to put in better lip synching for those cutscenes and make sure that Snake doesn't sound like a child molester, it's all lost to me. Ironically, David Hayter voiced Leon a lot better then he did Snake.

Shaheed79 said:
MGS3 has just as many ways to deal with enemies a lot of them having nothing to do with killing them. I would explain some of the cooler ones that I used but they are definitely spoilers.
Lets just say that I had enemy soldiers so hungry that they would eat ANYTHING edible I threw on the ground. And then you could capture animals and use them as weapons like pokemon and sh*t.

So many more too. I'm not saying one is better than the other just that this isn't a reason to praise RE4 over Subsistence or vice-versa.

This is very true.
Take the fight like you had with The Fear. You can fight him a normal way by just moving and shooting, another way would be to shoot the mushrooms on the ground that are poisonous. He relies on stamina so it'll cause him to vomit and you'll win the fight by him running out of stamina. Or you can just shoot him when he's vomiting from it. You can do similar stuff with regular enmies. Then there's all the ways you can beat The End. There aren't many boss fights (if any) that you can beat before you're even supopse to fight them.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
RE4 and MGS3: S are both in my top 10 games this gen. they're both fantastic games that are an edge above everything else this gen. They both offer different things.

MGS3 has fantastic gameplay. The new camera is a very good option for those that dfidnt like the other camera. I dont mind using either, I think that they both work well. MGS was a big step forward from MGS2 in terms of gameplay. The introduction of CQC was incredible and itsd added something really great into the combat. Its cool seeing Snake use his body rather than just guns and it works incredibly well if used in the correct situation. I managed to go through the whole game by just using CQC.

The characters in MGS3 are some of the best you'll ever see. Snake is probably the most badass character in gaming. he's just so cool. he's got the cool appearance, a manly voice to go with it and he's got the skills and strength. I was in love with The Boss and I was close to breaking into tears at the end of the game. Its not just the good guys which are memorable. Volgin was such a cool bad guy. His scarred face added a lot to hius appearance and he just look and acted like a badass

MGS also has some incredibly memorable moments. There are some really good boss fights. My favourite was The End. the sniper rifle fight in such a vast space was incredible. Its something that hasnt been done before and it was excellent. Although a slow paced fight doesnt sound too appealing, your adreneline is rushing all the time. the Soprrow was also an excellent boss. Again it was something really different, but it left a massive mark. I felt so guilty about all the poeple I killed after meeting the sorrow.

The fantastic story of MGS3 also makes it such an incredible game. Despite many people dislikeing MGS2's plot, i thought that it was incredible and MGS3's was even better. Surprisingly what made it so fantastic came at the very end when Eva explains the real reason why The Boss had to die. That cutscene was probably the most powerful scene in a videogame.

RE4 offered different things. It had unmatched graphics which created a dark and eerie atmosphere which almost felt very real, but what i admired most about RE4 was how simple the gameplay was. The simple gameplay was actually one of the most memorable gaming experiences that ive had this gen.

Re4 didnt seem to offer too much with story and characters. i liked leon but there wasnt the same attatchment or liking as there is for Snake. The story was simple and nothing special at all, but the gameplay and the graphics made up for it.

Overall MGS3: S is the better game. It seems to offer the best quality in every category and that is something that hardly any game can do. From graphics to storyline, MGS3 was superb.

Yeah, the plot of RE4 is the only thing I didn't really like. But to me it has little effect on how great of a VIDEOGAME it is. I do like, though, what some of the last scenes of the game imply story-wise for future installments.

Ranger X

RE4 and MGS3 Subsistance are simply so freakin excellent that only a matter of tastes can make a difference in your preferences. Seriously, those games are AAAAAAAAAA.

Oldschoolgamer

Logan Cano said:

Naw..the story is weak, but it makes sense, except for Krauser. To understand why Leon became an agent, you would have to go back to RE2. The end of it. Been a while, but, it had something to do with the Wesker and a choice. Seperate ways also explains somethings.

I do agree with the castle seeming a little random, but then again, it was a cult. The reason you had access to certain areas was fine as well. The umbrella thing was crystal clear. Weak, but still to the point. What it doesn't explain is what happened to all the little subsections of Umbrella, that weren't in the USA. The bosses were following orders for the most part. The plaga doesn't exactly controll everyone, and that was evident when the guy came at Leon with the axe.

Edit: Also, the ending shows why their are no children in the game...one of the saddest things ever.

Magicpaint said:
Renders your opinion on RE4 almost useless. You can't even be objective if you have this clear bias going into videogames.

What's wrong with that begin a factor? Capcom tried to have a story with RE4 so they seem to think it was a factor.

Top Bottom