• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subsistence > The Almighty RE4

Ranger X

Himuro said:
I didn't notice RE4's supposed "tank" controls. I thought the controls were great. This is coming from someone who hates the control for RE1-3

Up = forward instead of pointing the joystick in the direction you want to walk. It's indeed the same old tank controls as before. BUT this time i was hot imo.

Himuro said:
I didn't notice RE4's supposed "tank" controls. I thought the controls were great. This is coming from someone who hates the control for RE1-3
Then I'm at a loss as to why you didn't absolutely love it.

Himuro said:

Yeah, it's because the controls was actually supported by the graphics engine. People seem to just see tank control and not seeing the actual game mechanics designed around it.

I played them all, but RE4 use of it worked amazingly well because of one huge difference, you affect the camera control with your movements. The camera wasn't an issue with RE4 like the past games, hell the camera work is great in general because of it's design, because they weren't predetermined, but always followed where you turned. Your viewing area is always faced forward, no disorienting camera switches to adjust to using tank controls. Your left is your viewing left, your right is your viewing right, not just the game character's alone.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Ive not played any other RE games other than RE4, but I couldnt ask for better controls from RE4. It only took me a matter of seconds to get used to and they work so well.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The main deal with the tank controls is that they're iffy if seen from a 3rd person top-down perspective (though I always liked classic survival horror), but it becomes completely workable when seen from a behind the shoulder perspective.... like an FPS, but third person.

I don't know how anyone could complain at that point, unless they'd just rather it was FPS.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The removal of 'tank controls' is what makes RE4 so great. One of the things anyway.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
SolidSnakex said:
The Boss and the Cobras WW2 storyline turned into a game would be the best game ever.
It would be interesting. Id like to see what The Boss was like when she was younger. We didnt hear much about their tome together during World war 2 other than The Boss having to give birth in the middle of battle.

Beezy

Gawaian said:
You fail at gaming. GO BUY BOTH GAMES NOW!!!!

I know, I know. :lol

I plan on borrowing MGS3 from my friend this weekend, but first I have to beat MGS1. RE4 will be the next console game that I buy.

Jan

Sorry I missunderstood with The End...

Anyway tell me...What´s so special with The Boss. A stupid character that do her mission until the last counsecuences even if that means killing her lover of herself

I guess you really love stupid characters...

I like more Big Boss that realizes that following orders of someone else that cares a shit of you is just plain stupid. Solid Snake realizes that also. The Boss is maybe the dumbest character I ever seen in a videogame. Suiciding for your country, just like muslims do. :lol

Stupid woman.

Yoboman

Beezy said:
I know, I know. :lol

I plan on borrowing MGS3 from my friend this weekend, but first I have to beat MGS1. RE4 will be the next console game that I buy.
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH YOU FAIL GAMING

Yoboman

Jan said:

Anyway tell me...What´s so special with The Boss. A stupid character that do her mission until the last counsecuences even if that means killing her lover of herself

I like more Big Boss that realizes that following orders of someone else that cares a shit of you is just plain stupid. Solid Snake realizes that also. The Boss is maybe the dumbest character I ever seen in a videogame. Suiciding for your country, just like muslims do. :lol

Stupid woman.
fc.2003.11.10.inside1.jpg

Jan said:

Stupid woman.

story.ewing.jpg

psycho_snake said:
It would be interesting. Id like to see what The Boss was like when she was younger. We didnt hear much about their tome together during World war 2 other than The Boss having to give birth in the middle of battle.

She'd be younger but she was also pregnant during that time (so pregnant that she gave birth during the war). I was hoping she'd be a playable character in MGS3S' online mode but no luck. So i'm hoping for her to be playable in MGS4's online mode now.

Miburou

Jan said:

Stupid woman.

You babelfished your reply before posting it, didn't you?

Yoboman

Oneself said:
No but a control like Syphon Filter on PSP (but using two analog sticks) would be awesome.. in both MGS3 and RE4.
I wants me a GRAWWWWW-like system, and throw in a button to let you quickly look over your shoulder (you need to know what's going on behind you too) and you got it

Kevtones

Resident Evil 4 is the GOTG to me and its only close competition is Metroid Prime. That said, PRO MODE with 8 clear game saves (yes I have beaten the game even more then that) worth of pesettas is absolutely the best way to play. You can create SOOOO many awesome scenarios in RE4 with the weapons and ways to play. Pro mode is a totally different monster then regular mode. The enemies are fucking relentless and until you've played the whole house-defending part, then shit hits a whole new level of awesome. And to the people saying you do the 'same thing' for 20 hours of RE4 haven't fucking played it. That is a RETARDED comment.

Yoboman

Kevtones said:
Resident Evil 4 is the GOTG to me and its only close competition is Metroid Prime. That said, PRO MODE with 8 clear game saves (yes I have beaten the game even more then that) worth of pesettas is absolutely the best way to play. You can create SOOOO many awesome scenarios in RE4 with the weapons and ways to play. Pro mode is a totally different monster then regular mode. The enemies are fucking relentless and until you've played the whole house-defending part, then shit hits a whole new level of awesome. And to the people saying you do the 'same thing' for 20 hours of RE4 haven't fucking played it. That is a RETARDED comment.
RE4 is a grindfest, but an awesome one :D

NME said:
:lol

And Himuro, I don't know what to say, I just feel sad that you didn't love it as much as everyone here. It really is just a non-stop ride of awesomeness. And Mercenaries is the greatest mini-game ever.

And I have Himuro beaten, I've never owned either a PS1 or PS2, but I did play most of MGS1 on PC, only to have the disk fuck up right before the last battle. The kid who let me borrow it said that would happen. :(

Yoboman

Himuro said:
I really like it. It started out GREAT imo. The boss fights are some of the best bar none, if only for the sheer awesome in the things you do (El Gigante!). But after the town...it was meh to me. But it's a really good game, don't get me wrong.
I feel mostly the same, though the castle did have some awesome moments. The island was completely forgettable, aside from the awesome fight with Krauser

Himuro said:
I really like it. It started out GREAT imo. The boss fights are some of the best bar none, if only for the sheer awesome in the things you do (El Gigante!). But after the town...it was meh to me. But it's a really good game, don't get me wrong.
I thought like for a little bit, and I actually took a longgg break from it, and then it just really picked up. The whole helicopter part, and some parts of the castle, and that ridiculous thing in that hanging storage (whatever the fuck that thing was)...just so much good stuff. And I thought the Krauser fight was possibly one of the coolest boss fights ever.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just beat MGS3. I'm watching the ending as I type this.

I love the Boss. :(

Okay, reaffirmed. When a game does THAT to your emotions and it has THAT ending....the utter lack of story in any other title makes it inherently inferior.

MGS3 is not a game. It's an experience. Wow.

Mooreberg

DaCocoBrova said:
The removal of 'tank controls' is what makes RE4 so great. One of the things anyway.

It still controls like shit, the only difference is the camera tracks the character now that the environments are not pre-rendered.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I just beat MGS3. I'm watching the ending as I type this.

I love the Boss. :(

Okay, reaffirmed. When a game does THAT to your emotions and it has THAT ending....the utter lack of story in any other title makes it inherently inferior.

MGS3 is not a game. It's an experience. Wow.
:lol

Mooreberg said:
It still controls like shit, the only difference is the camera tracks the character now that the environments are not pre-rendered.

That "only difference" makes a huge difference to control play mechanics and that's why it works well, I never had to fight control over the camera at all since it was dictated by one analog. I rather them add more options to this than use some dual analog FPS like control in which I would have to control the camera and character at once.

Leatherface

Himuro said:
Guys, my main problem with RE4 ain't the gameplay. It was fun..for awhile. My problem is that the game (imo) feels too padded. It's too lengthy and feels long just to be long. If the castle was near the last (which is where I stopped playing) area and they fixed the plot up a bit, I'm pretty sure RE4 WOULD have been in my top 10 for this generation.

RE4 was too short. :)

Johnas

Haven't read about half of the thread, but I'll say that for me personally, MGS3:S topped RE4 also. However, I didn't play too many titles during the PS1 era, and have not played any other RE game except part 4 (except for a little bit of REmake), so although I can definitely appreciate how awesome of a title RE4 is in and of itself, I can't make the evolutionary comparisons to past REs like a lot of you guys can.

I have been playing Metal Gear since the very beginning, and I had really high expectations for MGS3, and they were honestly exceeded. It's in the very top tier for me.

I thought RE4 was brilliant, but I liked MGS3 more. Huge kudos to both titles.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Y2Kevbug11 said:
RE4 controls fine. I did not struggle with controls.

You know, this brings up a point....

When many people say "the controls are shit", I often think "you're just too crappy at videogames". There are very few control schemes/cameras throughout history that I've ever had a problem with. The last significant one I can think of is the default controls for Megaman Legends.

Seriously, I spent years of my life reading people bitch about tank controls. If there's that many people who can't play it, then fair enough, we need a change. But personally, I struggled for about an hour with tank controls in RE1 in 1997, and since then I've mastered it. Why can't you?

Y2Kev

BocoDragon said:
You know, this brings up a point....

When many people say "the controls are shit", I often think "you're just too crappy at videogames". There are very few control schemes/cameras throughout history that I've ever had a problem with. The last significant one I can think of is the default controls for Megaman Legends.

Seriously, I spent years of my life reading people bitch about tank controls. If there's that many people who can't play it, then fair enough, we need a change. But personally, I struggled for about an hour with tank controls in RE1 in 1997, and since then I've mastered it. Why can't you?

Well, personally, I had no problem with tank controls. In fact, for prerendered backgrounds, sometimes I preferred them. And it created some very exciting moments when my stopmom (who used to watch me and guide me...she would memorize room layouts...so awesome) would scream because I couldn't zig-zag fast enough. However, I can also see why people bitch. Tank controls are not intuitive and frankly...unnatural. People don't walk or think like that.

So I can see why there is a type of organic disconnect. But to honestly struggle with them for any period beyond a learning curve...never saw or understood that. I can't remember a game I couldn't control...and I've played everything from Mr. Mosquito to Katamari.

Error2k4 said:

Seriously though something like MGS3's ending is like diamond in the rough. Something that thought out and directed and satisfying in a sea of games with abrupt endings and nonclosure . I hadn't thought about it before until someone brought it up with how Capcom tends to just ends things in practically all the REs.

Oldschoolgamer said:
Resident Evil 4 ended just like the other ones...

Island am explode. Check

Insert___________: "Lets go home", "We are going to Stop Umbrella", or "Glad to be alive"....Double Check

Y2Kev

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Seriously though something like MGS3's ending is like diamond in the rough. Something that thought out and directed and satisfying in a sea of games with abrupt endings and nonclosure . I hadn't thought about it before until someone brought it up with how Capcom tends to just ends things in practically all the REs.

Tell me about it. I was not expecting that. The entire
EVA thing
was such a swerve, but when I look back at her first scenes, I think...How did I miss that?
I did notice she never answered with the password.

Ocelot's call at the end...traditional and yet so satisfying. Snake crying at the anonymous tomb just...just hit me like a sack of bricks. I was just not ready for that.

Top Bottom