• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Humanity Has Declined 7
jinrui7.jpg

iqHngPKoVh0k5.gif

Holy fuck. I never thought I'd see
time travel(?) shenanigans
involving
banana's
ever again after watching Steins;Gate and yet here we are. What makes this mindfuck of an episode truly amazing isn't the ambiguous ending which may or may not be followed up next week but the fact that the protagonist
has been slipping on a banana in the ED the entire time!

Best episode since the first two yet!

BluWacky

Need some GAF recommendations.

We've just watched Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood for the second time and we're still blown away by how well animated, funny, scripted, epic, and all-round awesome this series really is. Are there any recent shows that match (or at least get close) to FMA:B's level of awesomeness that you folks would recommend? It's really hard sorting the crap from the jewels when it comes to anime. I'm told that the Gurren Lagan series is the bees knees so I guess I'll watching that show next.

You might find Gurren Lagann a bit "over the top" - it's got a fair bit of fanservice and wacky anime-isms in it - but it's very well animated and definitely quite epic.

Looking at your other favourites, a couple of suggestions might be:

The Vision of Escaflowne - it's not particularly funny, and you might think it's a bit old, but it's an excellent fantasy series with a lot of cross gender appeal (I'm guessing from the titles you've selected and the use of "we" that there's more than one of you watching these shows) and great action sequences.

Darker Than Black - avoid the second season (it's not awful, just very disappointing), but definitely give the first season a go. A show about super-powered "spies" in Japan with great animation, interesting characters, and a lot of "all round awesome". Also has a few "comedy" episodes.

Other shows which are pretty damn good but may not necessarily fit the bill:

Eureka Seven - great animation and a decent balance of comedy and drama, but I'm not sure how you feel about mecha outside of the "weird" shows like Eva and Rah.

Wolf's Rain - VERY depressing but very moving drama about a pack of "human" wolves searching for Paradise, written by the creator of Cowboy Bebop. Excellent animation but there's virtually no humour in it at all I'm afraid.

Blue Exorcist - I kind of see this show as FMA "Lite" - it's not as epic as FMA but it has a very similar tone and look.

The Twelve Kingdoms - if you liked Moribito, I think you'd like this show, a big epic fantasy with some really in-depth world-building. Not much action, though, and very little humour.

While there are loads of great shows I could recommend these are the only ones I really feel comfortable suggesting based on the list you've given us. All of these have at some point been available on DVD in the USA so you should be able to buy copies if you want them.

wonzo

Banned

We've just watched Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood for the second time and we're still blown away by how well animated, funny, scripted, epic, and all-round awesome this series really is. Are there any recent shows that match (or at least get close) to FMA:B's level of awesomeness that you folks would recommend? It's really hard sorting the crap from the jewels when it comes to anime. I'm told that the Gurren Lagan series is the bees knees so I guess I'll watching that show next.

Just to give you guys/girls an idea of the type of shows that rocks our socks:

Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Trigun
Kenshin + OAVs (the show does drag though)
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Planetes
Evangelion
Raxephon

I tried Code Geass but it wasn't really my thing. Didn't like the characters, the art design or the copious amounts of fanservice.

Thanks in advance!
>>>> Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still <<<<
Sword of the Stranger
REDLINE
Baccano!
Riding Bean
Gunsmith Cats
TTGL
FLCL
>>>> The Wings of Honneamise <<<< (best Gainax work)
Hunter x Hunter (1999) + OVA's (avoid dub)
The Legend of Koizumi
Mushi-shi
Time of Eve
Denno Coil
Revolutionary Girl Utena + Adolescence Apocalypse (avoid dub at all costs)
Garzey's Wing Dub

Firemind

Baccano definitely seems like a show that fits within that group.

TTGL has copious amounts of fanservice as well, but I guess it's okay.

Don't listen to this guy unless this sounds appealing:

Take all the angst and depression and fucked up-ness from Evangelion and Raxephon, multiply it by 20, and then stick it in a really slow moving show.
I still don't get this criticism at all. Texhnolyze is anything but slow.

edit: it's also got a fair share of really hotblooded moments that make you cheer for the protagonist. It's not all doom and gloom.

Humanity Has Declined 7
http://i.minus.com/iqHngPKoVh0k5.gif[IMG]
Holy fuck. I never thought I'd see [spoiler]time travel(?) shenanigans[/spoiler] involving [SPOILER]banana's[/SPOILER] ever again after watching [B]Steins;Gate[/B] and yet here we are. What makes this mindfuck of an episode truly amazing isn't the ambiguous ending which may or may not be followed up next week but the fact that the protagonist [SPOILER]has been slipping on a banana in the ED the entire time![/SPOILER]

Best episode since the first two yet![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/1345101169342t5b87.png

I would be not surprise if this arc is a big Steins;Gate reference.

Grzi

It's definitely easier to make a film with a self-contained plot feel consistent with its series of origin when the series is largely comprised of episodic content itself. Films adapted from long-running shounens with contiguous plots never quite feel "right" to me; probably because even when events are marked as having occurred between X and Y plot points in the source material, the idea of new threats suddenly appearing and then never being referenced again is never exactly believable.

btw, I honestly haven't broken my oath on Getter Robo Armageddon. I'm buried under currently-airing stuff that I have to catch up on first before I can get back to that!

No worries, I'm patiently awaiting your impressions.

And yeah, I get what you're saying about the Inuyasha movies, they're definitely placed in the upper echelon of movies based on long running shounen series.
I still need to see some more though, like the Yu Yu Hakusho movie.

Sket Dance 71
tumblr_m8ujr2tLpn1rdh18do1_500.gif

Combat Dance was pretty hilarious especially close to the ending of it when
The god or something dropped that huge Mountain Range on Switch, lol
. But poop Bossun was funny especially that outfit.

Second skit was awesome with Dante, and they even had a Dragon Quest Reference and even this. I just wish they defined "Visual-kei?"
tumblr_m8ulgfohbE1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Grzi

Oh and I forgot to mention this, but the festival arc in Hyouka was so goddamn amazing. This arc would probably rank in the top 3 best anime we've seen this year if it could be viewed as a separate entry, it's a shame the rest of the show brings it down a bit. Just a bit though.

Gundam Seed Finished

Aside from the horrible protagonist, stupid idealisms and anime cliches, it was a good show. Story was awesome, great ost, animation was okay.

I didnt like how Kira was the hero of the entire show, thats why I like 00 a lot more, it doesnt revolve around 1 person. Even if it did, Setsuna is not a whiny little brat so I would be okay with that.

Thats right Kira, cry like a little bitch, she's dead. I hope you get finished too in Gundam Seed Destiny.

Giving it a 8/10 but this show is tainted by ugly elements like Kira, cliches and idealisms.

cajunator

Banned
I am very excited by this news. I would certainly like to own Lain on BD and that seems like a reasonable price to me.

Same. I have been patiently waiting for rereleases of Lain and black Lagoon for a loooong time. To see them on Bluray I am pretty ecstatic.

.... Maybe I should be watching this show.

Yes. You will love Marii (Red)

Just to give you guys/girls an idea of the type of shows that rocks our socks:

Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Trigun
Kenshin + OAVs (the show does drag though)
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Planetes
Evangelion
Raxephon

I tried Code Geass but it wasn't really my thing. Didn't like the characters, the art design or the copious amounts of fanservice.

Thanks in advance!

Twelve Kingdoms is a great one as others have said. A lot of adventure and a decent story, but light in the comedy department. Gurren Lagann is DEFINITELY worth a watch too.

Narag

I feel bad for asking this because I honestly can't remember - have you already seen Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen yet?

I've lost track of who has and who hasn't seen that series.

Yup, it's what inspired me to check out he franchise further.

Gundam Seed Finished

Aside from the horrible protagonist, stupid idealisms and anime cliches, it was a good show. Story was awesome, great ost, animation was okay.

I didnt like how Kira was the hero of the entire show, thats why I like 00 a lot more, it doesnt revolve around 1 person. Even if it did, Setsuna is not a whiny little brat so I would be okay with that.

Thats right Kira, cry like a little bitch, she's dead. I hope you get finished too in Gundam Seed Destiny.

Giving it a 8/10 but this show is tainted by ugly elements like Kira, cliches and idealisms.
No one can finish space Jesus.

Narag

Speaking of Mazinger series stuff, I just remembered I still have this lying around that I got for free from a swap meet a while back:

Worth taking the time to watch, or should I just find someone else to hand it off to?

If you enjoy the genre, yeah. Otherwise, it's not particularly groundbreaking though.

duckroll

Jojo TV starts in October and will air on MBS, CBC, Tokyo MX, and various other networks.

Cast:
Jonathan: Kazuyuki Okitsu
Dio: Takehito Koyasu
Zeppelin: Yoku Shioya
Speedwagon: Youji Ueda
Erina: Ayako Kawasumi

Staff:
Director: Naokatsu Tsuda
Series Director: Kenichi Suzuki
Visual Director: Yasufumi Soejima
Series Composition: Yasuko Kobayashi
Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Takako Shimizu
Music: Hayato Matsuo
Animation Production: David Production

Articalys

Jojo TV starts in October and will air on MBS, CBC, Tokyo MX, and various other networks.

Huh. Didn't see that one coming. Then again, I'm terrible at predicting studios anyway.

Also, congratulations duckroll, your Animesuki post was the source when this was reposted to /a/.

Cast:
Jonathan: Kazuyuki Okitsu
Dio: Takehito Koyasu
Zeppelin: Yoku Shioya
Speedwagon: Youji Ueda
Erina: Ayako Kawasumi

Staff:
Director: Naokatsu Tsuda
Series Director: Kenichi Suzuki
Visual Director: Yasufumi Soejima
Series Composition: Yasuko Kobayashi
Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Takako Shimizu
Music: Hayato Matsuo

Those are some staff choices I wouldn't have expected. Can't say I was impressed by what I saw of Tsuda's previous show, Inu X Boku, but I guess we'll see what happens.

duckroll

I would guess that someone at Jump was probably happy with their adaptation of Level-E? I have no idea how else they could have gotten the gig for something like this, unless they were looking for the lowest bidder.... lol.

fertygo

That actually not bad.. at least its not DEEN or Pierrot, n david production seems love to make "retro" (Well Bento is not but they instilling that element on it) shounen anime.

Defuser

Binbougami-ga ! ep7
Best episode ever! Hokuto no Ken parody is fucking funny. Tomatsu Haruka is amazing in voicing Ranmaru, very talented.

Edit:
David Production eh? I'm quite neutral on this .

duckroll

That actually not bad.. at least its not DEEN or Pierrot, n david production seems love to make "retro" (Well Bento is not but they instilling that element on it) shounen anime.

"Retro" is a good way to describe the visual look for Level-E. Whether that is good or bad in this case depends on how the show ends up. Lol. ^^;

fertygo

"Retro" is a good way to describe the visual look for Level-E. Whether that is good or bad in this case depends on how the show ends up. Lol. ^^;

Those guy maybe chasing this project to the death based title that they make in the past.. they love this kind of shit.

Next important announcement would be on what timeslot this gonna air, Kuroko's timeslot could be ideal.

Westlo

In what world is
iqNRhCKJbPcfm.gif

>

gundam_age__gundam_titus_by_tristtrist-d4hlf7u.gif

Plus that gundam seed gundam looks kind of tacky :(

The same world where the former outsold the later by over 25 times.... and lol @ the pink hoola hoop gundam, c'mon son.

Gundam Seed Finished

Please watch Destiny! lol.

Westlo

I know people hate on it, I want to watch the Seed saga until the end.

Yeah it's crap but the experience of trolling and discussing the show as it aired was unmatched so I have fond memories of it. lmao @ the Shinn Asuka fanbase, they were fun to shit on.

Just wait until Destiny...
lol

Evidently in DTL's world :p. I'll take Freedom over that any day.

You know you're on the right track when DTL disagrees lol.

Uchip

Banned
strike freedom was just stupidly overpowered
i mean i know the main character is supposed to be badass but that always bugged me how easily they won most battles

Yeah it's crap but the experience of trolling and discussing the show as it aired was unmatched so I have fond memories of it. lmao @ the Shinn Asuka fanbase, they were fun to shit on.

Shinn is truly the worst Gundam protagonist I've ever seen. He made me really appreciate Kira lol

Westlo

Shinn is truly the worst Gundam protagonist I've ever seen. He made me really appreciate Kira lol

Yeah I know lol, even though Kira became Jesus in Destiny he was still much better than Shinn Asuka. It's just funny how the constant trolling back than of
Kira will became the main character
actually ended up being true in the end lol.

Though as much as I hate Shinn, the Impulse Vs Freedom fight was sick and his bgm for Destiny was awesome.

Grzi

Have people that shit on Gundam AGE actually seen the show past the initial few episodes?
Because it really isn't that bad, it beats a lot of currently airing crap that gets above average impressions here.
Plus, some of the episodes have really excellent visuals.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Thanks everyone - I really appreciate the recommendations :)

As I said, I'll give Gurran a go and then check out Twelve Kingdoms - seems to have the Inayasha vibe to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom