• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Koji Masunari and Masashi Ishihama both doing shows next season, I decided to rewatch the R.O.D. OVA. I had forgotten just how goofy it is. It features a secret branch of the British Library which employs a bibliophile who fights with paper who has to save the world from clones of obscure historical figures with elaborate steampunk inventions who intend to take care of the world's overpopulation problem by launching a rocket into space so it can broadcast the resurrected Beethoven's Suicide Symphony that makes anyone who hears it kill themselves. Oh, and a U.S. President who does nothing but wet himself. Not to mention that once you sit down and think things through, there are so many holes you can poke in the logic of the narrative.
Why did the British Library wait until after assigning Nancy to a vital mission to a background check instead of checking before they hired her that she didn't have any fishiness in her past like, oh, being dead. And why did the I-Jin need the book to get the notes for Beethoven's Suicide Symphony (putting aside the absurdity of being able to reconstruct a whole piece from margin sketches) if they already had Beethoven?
So many unexplaned questions!

But who cares? This is the quintessential OVA experience: the plot is unbelievably silly and stupid but oh so fun and pretty. For despite a couple rough edges, this does look quite good, with some great, detailed art and exciting animation. Each episode climaxes with a big, creative action setpiece, from a fight over the Statue of Library between a glider and a life-size paper airplane, to a battle in an underwater ruined city off the coast of India, to the final showdown in the bad guys' mechanical flying lair including a great use of Miss Deep's power to phase through solid objects. Its hour-and-a-half is stuffed with cool ideas executed coolly, and isn't that what popcorn entertainment is all about?

duckroll

The ROD OVA is definitely more imaginative than most action anime these days. It's pretty much a more family friendly Ninja Scroll style show with just as much insanity, but without the rape and nudity. Great action, insane ideas, colorful characters, huge set pieces. Great stuff.

cajunator

Banned
With Koji Masunari and Masashi Ishihama both doing shows next season, I decided to rewatch the R.O.D. OVA. I had forgotten just how goofy it is. It features a secret branch of the British Library which employs a bibliophile who fights with paper who has to save the world from clones of obscure historical figures with elaborate steampunk inventions who intend to take care of the world's overpopulation problem by launching a rocket into space so it can broadcast the resurrected Beethoven's Suicide Symphony that makes anyone who hears it kill themselves. Oh, and a U.S. President who does nothing but wet himself. Not to mention that once you sit down and think things through, there are so many holes you can poke in the logic of the narrative.
Why did the British Library wait until after assigning Nancy to a vital mission to a background check instead of checking before they hired her that she didn't have any fishiness in her past like, oh, being dead. And why did the I-Jin need the book to get the notes for Beethoven's Suicide Symphony (putting aside the absurdity of being able to reconstruct a whole piece from margin sketches) if they already had Beethoven?
So many unexplaned questions!

But who cares? This is the quintessential OVA experience: the plot is unbelievably silly and stupid but oh so fun and pretty. For despite a couple rough edges, this does look quite good, with some great, detailed art and exciting animation. Each episode climaxes with a big, creative action setpiece, from a fight over the Statue of Library between a glider and a life-size paper airplane, to a battle in an underwater ruined city off the coast of India, to the final showdown in the bad guys' mechanical flying lair including a great use of Miss Deep's power to phase through solid objects. Its hour-and-a-half is stuffed with cool ideas executed coolly, and isn't that what popcorn entertainment is all about?

I double dipped that OVA/series. Its so great.
The OVA made me super hyped for the TV series, and it didn't disappoint.
I do appreciate that they
actually tied Yomiko and Mrs Deep into the ROD TV series
despite it not appearing so at first.
Also, Michelle is best girl not named Yomiko.
Its unfair to compare anyone to Yomiko though. She is perfect in every way. Absolutely PERFECT.

Knight in the Area 31
tumblr_m8ygq2BKON1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Funny episode throughout, even Mai and Seven got me to laugh, so glad Kakeru, bed hair kun, and Makki have fans like that. I love the instrumental version of the theme and how when it kicks in you know epic things will happen.

Which speaking of that, I guess its time to go beyond just disappearing soccer balls (Phi Trick). Wonder what next Seven will have him develop. I am a bit disappointing in the plot
Why does the writer keep having them lose, first the tournament, and now Kakera was cut just after the first match, can he win for once? Suguru should have been called out. I guess he could do U-17 next?
I wish we could see more of him though.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Tama Yagami: Ai Nonoka

iDMYEjT1dyZzR.jpg

Straight up class right there. Best girl confirmed.

Tama is nine-years-old, the youngest of the Yagami sisters, and is in third grade. In contrast of Tsurugi, despite Tama's young age, she has the appearance of an adult woman. However, she has the innocent personality of a girl her age or even younger.

dDUHg.gif

cajunator

Banned
Accel World 19

This show has everything. Cute girls, awesome avatars, fun battles, cool monsters, and yuri.
What more could you really want? Damn this is fun.
Also
is SUPER CUTE.

Kokoro Connect 07

Another great episode. Inaba is far and away the best character,
which is the reason I'm most excited about this arc, considering the heavy focus on her emotional burdens and her particular sort of self-hatred. This episode further alludes to the possibility that she might actually be a bit more emotionally broken than the others, even Iori.

Each episode has skilfully managed to balance the occasional comedy with the more serious nature of the story really well.
The unpredictability of unleashing hidden desires allows the story to be consistently exciting and interesting.
This is definitely my favorite show of the season, and as long as it continues to thoroughly impress, it will likely solidify itself as one of the best of the year.

Jex

With Koji Masunari and Masashi Ishihama both doing shows next season, I decided to rewatch the R.O.D. OVA...

But who cares? This is the quintessential OVA experience: the plot is unbelievably silly and stupid but oh so fun and pretty...Its hour-and-a-half is stuffed with cool ideas executed coolly, and isn't that what popcorn entertainment is all about?
The ROD OVA is definitely more imaginative than most action anime these days. It's pretty much a more family friendly Ninja Scroll style show with just as much insanity, but without the rape and nudity. Great action, insane ideas, colourful characters, huge set pieces. Great stuff.
Which reminds me, I watched the R.O.D OVA some time ago but I never checked out the corresponding television series. Can anyone tell me if it was any good?

duckroll

Which reminds me, I watched the R.O.D OVA some time ago but I never checked out the corresponding television series. Can anyone tell me if it was any good?

The answer depends on whether you think the ROD universe would work as a slice of life series about 3 sisters who also have paper powers.

BluWacky

I would give you a qualified "yes". The first half of the series is disappointing - three of the main characters aren't as immediately appealing as Yomiko was, and the show spends a very long time dicking around with some fairly tedious slice-of-life stuff (the central character for the first half of the show, Anita, is a mildly irritating schoolgirl brat, and so there's a bunch of high school hijinks you have to get through).

However, when the show kicks into gear properly in episode 9 and certainly for the second half of the show it's as over-the-top and fun as the OVA was, and even before that at least the fight sequence in episode 1 is fantastic. The show's on the sakuga wiki for a reason!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Accel World - Episode 19

OMG! This was really good! Fun action! Girl power! Dragon monster! Super robot! Magical Girl! Mermaids! And an extra dose of yuri at the end! What's there not to like?! Felt like a really fun OVA side story which is so much more entertaining than the actual current story arc the rest of the characters are stuck in at the moment. Too bad we're going back to that next week. :(

10/10

Yoshino redeemed!

I officially win.

duckroll

However, when the show kicks into gear properly in episode 9

Really? I seem to recall it took much, much longer than that. Or maybe it just felt that way back in the day because this was one of those PPV shows where we got 2 eps a month or something like that right? But I seem to remember that even by ep15 or so, the show was kinda going nowhere fast and had a really slow pace. Not that the slow pace is a bad thing, it was just... really slow.

cajunator

Banned

There is only one episode that I would consider to be all filler and it involved a very :Chet girl.
She gets killed brutally though
I know I'm a shitty metric to judge a series by but honestly ROD TV is WELL worth your time.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
R.O.D. the TV was really jarring coming off the OVA. I was never able to finish it even though it was never exactly bad. My memory is hazy, but I remember there being far too much focus on a loli character.

Narag

MAL episode list seems to have been updated as it shows Kokoro Connect at 17 episodes. Read elsewhere Shiba Inuko-san is only running for 26 too.

cajunator

Banned
R.O.D. the TV was really jarring coming off the OVA. I was never able to finish it even though it was never exactly bad. My memory is hazy, but I remember there being far too much focus on a loli character.

Who Anita?
They didn't focus any more on her than others.
There were a few young girls in the show, mostly Anita's friends but they weren't prominent.
The show was really great.

Accel World 19

Decent episode.

Lots of action. No one was annoying. Did I mention the action?

We also got Hiyama screaming SCORCHING INFERNO!

Next week looks like crap though.

Narag

Kokoro Connect 7

Premise isn't being explored as well I'd like this time around. The line between them being impetuous teens and actually being afflicted by the forced lack of impulse control is blurry enough to make it a bit boring this ep.

BluWacky

Really? I seem to recall it took much, much longer than that. Or maybe it just felt that way back in the day because this was one of those PPV shows where we got 2 eps a month or something like that right?

I actually thought it was episode 12 when it got going - I had to look it up on Wiki and episode 9 is when
Wong kills Alice and Junior steals the Key
. I think that kept me sane until the show really starts at episode 12.

Yeah, it was one of those Sky Perfec! things. Thank god those stopped.

Mad Pierrot said:

I don't remember Anita being sexualised at all. She was phenomenally annoying, though, you're right, and the show spends way too much time on her in the first half.

Articalys

Round 1, Day 5 Results:

B01
1st 189 Yuka Hanaki @ Natsuiro Kiseki
2nd 162 Shino Amakusa @ Seitokai Yakuindomo
3rd 127 Tomo Asama @ Horizon In The Middle Of Nowhere

B05
1st 215 Kanade Suzutsuki @ Mayo Chiki!
2nd 196 Isumi Saginomiya @ Hayate The Combat Butler
3rd 108 Hanyuu @ When They Cry

B09
1st 325 Akari Akaza @ Yuru Yuri
2nd 146 Izumi Segawa @ Hayate The Combat Butler
3rd 75 Taeko Hiramatsu @ Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka?

-----------------------------------------------

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't remember Anita being sexualised at all. She was phenomenally annoying, though, you're right, and the show spends way too much time on her in the first half.

No, she wasn't sexualized, but then again I personally don't use "loli" as an inherently sexual term. It's more the combination of a set of personality traits and physical appearance to me, although perhaps I should use a different term if it's commonly understood to always imply sexuality.

BluWacky

No, she wasn't sexualized, but then again I personally don't use "loli" as an inherently sexual term. It's more the combination of a set of personality traits and physical appearance to me, although perhaps I should use a different term if it's commonly understood to always imply sexuality.

Apologies, it's a personal thing - I object to the overuse of the word "loli" to describe all little girls in anime because to me it implies a sexual element to the description (I know, I know, goth loli has no such implications etc. etc. but that's how it is to me).

So you're right - I think within anime fandom it's not an inherently sexual term. But to me, it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom