• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2016 OT | July 3rd - July 10th | Gotta go fast!

xzoowy

Damn, didn't think that Behemoth's clutch lower Norfair escape would of been such a game changing moment in this race. He was at 15Hp entering the last 3 Musketeers room, he could of easily died there.

KarmaCow

Watching the Zero Mission run just before this was a bad idea. It's crushing to know that we'll probably never get another Metroid game like those two. :/

407e20fa46e100f24fdc01e19946ca96831fd5854b9fecc15fd14d65411c3500_1.jpg
WAHH

jnWake

I don't really get the hype around Metroid :s. It was ok, I guess.

You really appreciate it if you've played Super Metroid yourself. It has insane amounts of sequence breaking without any silly glitches, pure skill. Seriously, if you ever play the game you'll see how hard doing wall jumps is and these guys do it insanely fast. It's really impressive.

Also, the death factor (as seen today) makes it really tense.

jett

D-Member
I hope they break their previous goal! The HB seems like will make 60k at most so they have around 40k to make up, right?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
You really appreciate it if you've played Super Metroid yourself. It has insane amounts of sequence breaking without any silly glitches, pure skill. Seriously, if you ever play the game you'll see how hard doing wall jumps is and these guys do it insanely fast. It's really impressive.

Also, the death factor (as seen today) makes it really tense.

yeah, i think the fact it's such a tight speed run that doesn't rely on crazy glitches like other speedruns do really adds to the enjoyment of watching it.

not to disparage speedruns that do use glitches, of course, but it's nice to see games that are less reliant on it while still being very exciting and tense to watch

Speevy

Banned
Runner question; Were most of these runners around during the days of the NES or SNES?

I'm 33 and grew up playing these but they mostly look about 22-25.

MrLandmaster

Neo Member
Super Metroid is brutal.

The new any% route the runners were using takes an already unforgiving category and raises the stakes significantly in just about every way. At the highest level of play there's no real room for error. Slip up and you die. You really have to know exactly how to control Samus, and there is a lot more nuance to movement than most people probably realize.

It's a beautiful speed game.

jett

D-Member
This will be the first year SGDQ outgrosses AGDQ. Interesting. AGDQ 2016 just dropped to much, while SGDQ is settling down nicely.

Top Bottom