• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like valve games but FPS games can only be so good. I'll take broken interesting Deadly Premonition over super polished Half Life 2

Pretty much. Of all games from Valve I've played, I've definitely enjoyed Portal and Portal 2 much more than any other game from them because it wasn't boring FPS mechanics. The humor was decent too, unlike L4D, and especially L4D2, which just... I think they tried to do jokes? Like, it felt like the writers sort of tried, but didn't try that hard, to make it funny.

croten

I disagree with the idea that FPS games can't be interesting. I in fact think that that's a bizarre opinion to have and a closeminded one at that.

No one said FPS games aren't interesting but I just think Valves games are too.. safe? I guess? Nothing wrong with them but I'll take weird over safe.

I get the main character being primary DPS but the women always being the healer actually bothers me a little. None of my business though

It's not because of "Women need to do this" sexism type of thing, that's just what it always was growing up. Most of the games I played a shit ton of had female healers and that's just what seems correct in my mind. That one is less of a big deal, but it still just really irritates me for some reason even though I acknowledge it's dumb and I don't really let it stop me from playing games, it's just there in my mind the whole time.

I disagree with the idea that FPS games can't be interesting. I in fact think that that's a bizarre opinion to have and a closeminded one at that.

It's the current perception of FPSs, that's clouding their judgement. When the average person thinks of a FPS, they think of CoD, or Battlefield.

I love FPSs, and I grew up playing them. I long for the days of Arena style play to return, but as long as I live, I will continue to love the genre.

croten

It's not because of "Women need to do this" sexism type of thing, that's just what it always was growing up. Most of the games I played a shit ton of had female healers and that's just what seems correct in my mind. That one is less of a big deal, but it still just really irritates me for some reason even though I acknowledge it's dumb and I don't really let it stop me from playing games, it's just there in my mind the whole time.

When I played bravely default I made Anges a monk and Tiz the cleric

No one said FPS games aren't interesting but I just think Valves games are too.. safe? I guess? Nothing wrong with them but I'll take weird over safe.

When I first played HL2 last year, it felt like modern FPS tried to copy the way you progress with tons of scripted events. I would have much preferred a Duke Nukem 3D.

Seriously though, Yosuke being a shit against conflicted teddie is getting on my nerves. Stop being such a shit Yosuke! Kanji is already the "bro" character of the cast, but I wish I at least liked Yosuke. Right now I'm just indifferent towards him. They're really pushing for that "brosuke" angle and it's failing spectacularly.

What I liked about Yosuke is that he's that kinda shitty friend you have. He's good intentioned, but is also super immature and doesn't have the social graces to fully understand what to say. He felt like a real person which is part of what I liked about him, since he's kinda shitty, but at the end of the day he still cares about everyone and is there for them.

It's been far too easy so far, even more so now that they let you pick the fucking skills to transfer! I have a persona who resists fucking everything except light and dark (in which case I have a spare persona for that)

One day you're going to get backstabbed by a demon with a low-level light skill and he's going to hit you dead-on once the fight begins. You're going to say to yourself "Fuck. At least I have a spare persona for that." And when you go to load your save, it's going to be over 5 hours ago.

ultimax

Seriously though, Yosuke being a shit against conflicted teddie is getting on my nerves. Stop being such a shit Yosuke! Kanji is already the "bro" character of the cast, but I wish I at least liked Yosuke. Right now I'm just indifferent towards him. They're really pushing for that "brosuke" angle and it's failing spectacularly.
I don't like yosuke either. He's probably one of my least favorite characters of all time. I also really hate how immaturely he reacts to the whole kanji thing. I mean I get that's his character, but it isn't written well and just ends up annoying me.

I love the Half Life / Portal interconnected mythos, and I've heard the Halo universe is well expounded upon in the books.

This reminds me of a post I was gonna make a few minutes ago. I love Starcraft's world and story to death, but I can't play RTSs. I just can't. I Power Overwhelming'd my way through Starcraft's campaign, and it was great, but when I read a novelization that was when I realized how much I liked it. Also the Halo books are uniformly good and Fall of Reach and The Flood are actually really great. So basically I get not liking FPSs, but it's a hell of a varied genre to be generalizing about.

croten

It's most of the time not even something I think about. "Blonde girl? Make her the healer." It's not even a question of gender roles, it's just that immediate mental reaction.

I actually get you, though when I played BD I immediately thought "I'm going to make the guy the healer for once!"

I don't like yosuke either. He's probably one of my least favorite characters of all time. I also really hate how immaturely he reacts to the whole kanji thing. I mean I get that's his character, but it isn't written well and just ends up annoying me.

I actually think he's super well written, probably because I had that friend. He was uncomfortable around gay people, he wasn't necessarily a homophobe, but he was ignorant of the subject and Yosuke's reactions were eerily identical to his.

FTFY

I really hate the second half

It's not great!

Good combat system, not great characters, plot, or content. Some of the music was pretty good though.
This reminds me of a post I was gonna make a few minutes ago. I love Starcraft's world and story to death, but I can't play RTSs. I just can't. I Power Overwhelming'd my way through Starcraft's campaign, and it was great, but when I read a novelization that was when I realized how much I liked it. Also the Halo books are uniformly good and Fall of Reach and The Flood are actually really great. So basically I get not liking FPSs, but it's a hell of a varied genre to be generalizing about.
My favorite FPS story is when the DOOM Marine kicked everyone's ass. :p

I wish my entire party could've been 4 Edeas. She was kickass at everything, inborn stats be damned.

The BD party sucked.

Ringabel and Edea carried the fuck out of that game. Tiz and Agnes are in the corner very loudly not fucking while Ringabel and Edea have characters somewhere else. As to the second half, Jesus fuck that shit was disappointing, but you can just turn off encounters and rush through everything until you get to
the last cycle
when the bosses group up and the game gets fun again.

ultimax

I actually think he's super well written, probably because I had that friend. He was uncomfortable around gay people, he wasn't necessarily a homophobe, but he was ignorant of the subject and Yosuke's reactions were eerily identical to his.
I can understand that. I also have a friend I know who's basically a carbon copy of yosuke who annoys me in general too. Means well, but comes off as a total shit. I just wish yosuke developed more as character through out the story and his s link.

Ca4qUN2.gif

Yeah, I know that guy. It was only when I told him that I was bisexual that he realized he was being an ass. I more had a problem with his barely changing his attitude toward the girls by the end of the game. I get you're in high school, but come on, Yosuke!

The combat was fun. Mostly because it was at 4X speed all the time. Every Turn Based RPG should do that

Letting you set the encounter rate breaks the fuck out of the game, but it's fun, so it's hard to complain. I still prefer the Press Turn system, but I wouldn't mind playing more games with BD's combat engine.

I'm currently blasting Wicked Flight way too loud someone help me.

croten

Letting you set the encounter rate breaks the fuck out of the game, but it's fun, so it's hard to complain. I still prefer the Press Turn system, but I wouldn't mind playing more games with BD's combat engine.

I'm currently blasting Wicked Flight way too loud someone help me.

I don't think you could change the encounter rate in the original Japanese version. Some of the late game items you can get hint at that.

Just go straight down the right path.

I don't see how it breaks the game at all. It cuts the shitty part of JRPGs in half, because random encounters are terrible, but it doesn't break the game. What does break the game is having the ability to change the difficulty at any time. Having trouble with something? No need to change your strategy or approach, just make it so that it has 3/4 HP and you do 5/4 damage!

I really enjoyed Halo 3's campaign. I played it over and over with a friend.

One of my best memories is us playing Halo 3 on Legendary with one controller, trading off on deaths while listening to the Lonely Island's album "Incredibad" on loop while drinking Mountain Dew Voltage.

So much fun.

I don't think you could change the encounter rate in the original Japanese version. Some of the late game items you can get hint at that.

Ohh, that makes sense. It's only really useful because of how terrible that second half is. I don't even mind lowering it, but just turning it off to get to the next boss kinda ruins the balancing somewhat. Just a little.

ultimax

I think the character's writing is good and his flaws are believable. You're right that he acts immaturely towards Kanji's sexual orientation, but that is to be expected from a lot of boys at that age. He is an immature douchebag of a character and he pulls it off well.
That's true. What I should have said was just because he's well written, doesn't mean I have to like him as a character. He's still an annoying turd in my eyes who personally id never want as my "bro", so don't like how he's pushed so hard on that "bro" concept.

croten

I don't see how it breaks the game at all. It cuts the shitty part of JRPGs in half, because random encounters are terrible, but it doesn't break the game. What does break the game is having the ability to change the difficulty at any time. Having trouble with something? No need to change your strategy or approach, just make it so that it has 3/4 HP and you do 5/4 damage!

It breaks the game because you can get to level 99 and turn off the encounter rate in the final dungeon like I did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom