• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Draconian

Is EAD Tokyo the best video game development team? I can only think of a handful that make high quality games every outing like they do.

Schnozberry

Is EAD Tokyo the best video game development team? I can only think of a handful that make high quality games every outing like they do.

Depends on what you like. If you're jonesing for a cinematic set piece blockbuster, probably not. If you want a game that focuses on discovery, gameplay innovation and anal retentive attention to detail, call EAD Tokyo.

They're definitely one of a kind, with great taste in creativity. I'm sure this is a cultural thing. Japan just seems to be ahead of the world in how creative their culture is. On a technical level, they're not the best.

StevieP

Banned
They're definitely one of a kind, with great taste in creativity. I'm sure this is a cultural thing. Japan just seems to be ahead of the world in how creative their culture is. On a technical level, they're not the best.

I wouldn't say that either. On overclocked circa 1990s hardware they pulled some magic that looks glorious when you brute force render it to 1080p on a ridicu-PC.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, you guys are probably gonna hit me for asking this, but I went to Best Buy today, and all new Nintendo games are SIXTY dollars??!

Really?!

SIXTY?!

I mean, REALLY??!

tkscz

Mega_Mario_and_Co._Screenshot_-_Super_Mario_3D_World.png

This image is just so damned awesome.

I just want to add "Shit just got real" to it.

chadboban

Mega_Mario_and_Co._Screenshot_-_Super_Mario_3D_World.png

This image is just so damned awesome.

I just want to add "Shit just got real" to it.

I just love the expression on Toad's face.

Okay, you guys are probably gonna hit me for asking this, but I went to Best Buy today, and all new Nintendo games are SIXTY dollars??!

Really?!

SIXTY?!

I mean, REALLY??!

Well 3D World is a brand new game so yeah, I'd kind of expect it to be $60

muteant

Really?!

SIXTY?!

I mean, REALLY??!

they're not all sixty (some are 50), but a good number of them are.

dat HD development cost.

i wonder if nintendo shouldn't just revert back to the standard $50 pricepoint though. would strengthen their console's position as the more affordable one.

that or at least drop the price of the heavy hitters sooner (like 50 bucks after 6 months or so).

still i'd pay a 100 for titles like this so whatever.

sfedai0

Banned
I know this is kinda a weird question, but I havent played a mario game since SMB. Really looking to get back in to it with WiiU, but can this game be enjoyed for single play? I will not be using co-op at all.

Kyzon

I know this is kinda a weird question, but I havent played a mario game since SMB. Really looking to get back in to it with WiiU, but can this game be enjoyed for single play? I will not be using co-op at all.

Yes. That is the Nintendo magic. You can play alone or with friends, speed run or slowly. They are Masters at level design that allows you to play your own way and still enjoy it.

Really?!

SIXTY?!

I mean, REALLY??!
Uh, hasn't this been standard retail pricing for HD games for a generation? Did you think development costs wouldn't rise when Nintendo took the leap?

Oblivion

Uh, hasn't this been standard retail pricing for HD games for a generation? Did you think development costs wouldn't rise when Nintendo took the leap?

No?

I mean, Nintendo once again decided to go with the low power route, so I thought it was reasonable that they maintain the same price points.

Okay, good point.

I'm just letting off some steam. IS THAT A CRIME? :mad:
I understand. As a consumer I would always opt for a lower barrier to entry. Honestly, it even kept me from getting W101 day one despite wanting to support the effort, because I've personally got mixed feelings about Kamiya's other action games (there you go, just took the heat off you and made myself a target). I also think WWHD was overpriced for an HD port of a single game, even with the handful of tweaks. But $60 for brand spanking new iterations of Nintendo's heavy hitting franchises without the awful anamorphic stretching of SD Wii games? Totally reasonable.

Darryl

Banned

Really?!

SIXTY?!

I mean, REALLY??!

their 3ds games are $40, too. one of the current gaming injustices. i don't know how they can get away with it. hopefully they readjust the price tag of their software when third-party support falls through and their first-party software moves slow

Oblivion

I understand. As a consumer I would always opt for a lower barrier to entry. Honestly, it even kept me from getting W101 day one despite wanting to support the effort, because I've personally got mixed feelings about Kamiya's other action games (there you go, just took the heat off you and made myself a target). I also think WWHD was overpriced for an HD port of a single game, even with the handful of tweaks. But $60 for brand spanking new iterations of Nintendo's heavy hitting franchises without the awful anamorphic stretching of SD Wii games? Totally reasonable.

Much appreciated, broham <3

Seik

Banned
their 3ds games are $40, too. one of the current gaming injustices. i don't know how they can get away with it. hopefully they readjust the price tag of their software when third-party support falls through and their first-party software moves slow

I feel 40$ is okay.

Vita games are 40$ too and I feel it's okay as well. After all, many of these games are just as meaty as console games sometimes.

Much appreciated, broham <3

I honestly thought you were trolling...anyways...

new trailer?

http://electronictheatre.co.uk/wii-...rio-3d-world-trailer-revealed-sponsored-video

I cant watch it, atm...

edit: nm, not anything new.

In ONM’s review of Super Mario 3D World, the magazine said, “Super Mario 3D World makes everyone else look like they had HD all wrong.” ONM also made note of the game’s high level of polish in each level. And for those concerned about post-game content, Super Mario 3D World apparently has quite a bit of it – as has been previously hinted.

Thats a bold statement.

Volotaire

The double cherry powerup seems to pick up the level design flaws for a number of levels if played alone. I'm guessing it will still be a blast.

D-e-f-

Banned
Undoubtably, yes. Naughty Dog is up there with them too.

If you ignore half the games they made, sure. :) But let's not start this here. ND followers got schooled in a thread that was all about this "perfect run" topic a few months ago.

Dantis

Mildly annoyed that this comes out on the same day as the PS4 launch here. Means I probably won't be playing it until after Christmas.

Either way, it looks good. I've struggled to find something that I really, really enjoy on the Wii U as of yet, but I'm hoping this might be it.

CrisKre

If you ignore half the games they made, sure. :) But let's not start this here. ND followers got schooled in a thread that was all about this "perfect run" topic a few months ago.
Retro is up there imho. They have only 4 games out (soon 5!) But they are all incredible.

Volotaire

Can't wait to see where EAD Tokyo goes next. Probably my fave developer, along with Platinum and the Naughty Dogs.

Especially now since we've got Koizumi's dream of a multiplayer 3D Mario game. Will they now use this template moving on, or could they try and mould multiplayer into a more open environment (I still think the split screen gamepad idea could work for this). Or will they reduce multiplayer features for more open Mario game?

GCX

Can't wait to see where EAD Tokyo goes next. Probably my fave developer, along with Platinum and the Naughty Dogs.
3D World Iwata Asks kinda hinted that their 2nd team is working on something new aka not a Mario platformer.

Interesting so see what it'll be.

Especially now since we've got Koizumi's dream of a multiplayer 3D Mario game. Will they now use this template moving on, or could they try and mould multiplayer into a more open environment (I still think the split screen gamepad idea could work for this). Or will they reduce multiplayer features for more open Mario game?
Always online open world mmorpg moba f2p mario

RagnarokX

Retro is up there imho. They have only 4 games out (soon 5!) But they are all incredible.

Yeah, but Nintendo had to put a gun to their heads to get them to produce anything. Miyamoto had to go down there and flip the shit out of their tea tables.

I heard that of their pre-Metroid Prime projects, the only one that had any promise was a vehicular combat game. I wonder how it would have been.

Top Bottom