• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

The Iwata Asks has clearly shown the negative feedback has heavily affected them after E3. If this isn't a breakthrough on the level of NSMBW (which is impossible on the dead-in-the-water WiiU anyway) despite the safe ,,appeal to all'' route they'll most likely go back to trying new shit like Galaxy imo.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

How was Mario Galaxy not safe? Just cause it was in space? What was so fundamentally different from previous Mario games?

This whole notion that this is a safe approach is laughably pathetic on your part. When a game receives such rave reviews its because its more than just a safe approach or just built upon a previous game. Its a fucking amazing game. Mario games are all tied in. They all share the same fundamentals and platforming norms. Get off it already.

Well, I never doubted that this game will be good, but it was always kinda funny (and maybe a little sad) how people read something completely different in my posts so they'd fit typical standard arguments against people that might have not even spent proper time with Nintendo content - unlike me. So no, I'm not mad the scores but good work on the gif regardless ;)
Unfortunately, reviews were never gonna change the problems with the title. Oh look a 10/10, but is it still a game more heavily based on the groundwork of another (2 year old) Mario title on inferior hardware than any other title in the series history? Yeah. Is it still the culmination of the worst first year lineup of a Nintendo machine since the Virtual Boy? Yes.

Unlike review scores which were easy to predict, I'd be more curious about sales data. Starting with media create next week, I suspect the market (and the fans Nintendo clearly disrespects with sich a pitiful next gen launch, plus 2 years of letting the original Wii rot for no reason right before that) will reject this one as much as the unremarkable NSMBU which represented more than either ,,good/bad game'' but almost all the company's faults in the last couple of years. The actual good machine that is the 3DS will do the rest to cannibalize the sales. Afterwards they'll probably have no choice but to come up with new concepts on par with 64 and Galaxy, even though I'm sure they'd love to crank out more 3D World titles like NSMB instead. Then next gen everyone is gonna be happy again :)
I don't know your history at all with this game, but this post was pretty funny.

"Firstly, it turns out that a goomba in an ice skate - serious, self-contained, frowning with lofty pride as if all too aware of the vital role he plays in Bowser's master plan - is actually the single funniest thing you will see this year." Eurogamer Review

This....this is why I love Nintendo

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I have to say I was a bit iffy about the title when it was first shown off, but I knew I'd buy it anyway, but the excitement just wasn't there. I only started to get hyped since E3 onwards. Now I can't wait till Friday. Never doubt Nintendo EAD bro.

ohlawd

the game deserved to review and sell well due to that japanese commercial alone

it was the best one Nintendo has put out in recent time

ibzN36NOGvOq6K.gif
hayyyyy gurl lemme pick you and 3D World up.

ASIS

I think their whole point that this isn't a step back at all, but more just a refinement of what's already there. That doesn't mean it's a bad game in any way, just one that isn't innovating the series forward.

Galaxy 2 fits exactly what you described though..

Spring...I will pick up a Wii U. This is definitely my first game purchase. Holy heck is it reviewing well. Galaxy was one of my top 5 of last gen so I was kinda meh on a non-Galaxy title, but I am becoming a believer.

traveler

Not Wario
I speak little of ambition--my main problem is controls and nerfed movesets, and for all of the praise 3D Land got for its controls, I hated them. I felt they were too limited and reduced the amount of options you had as Mario to a frustrating degree. It was 3D Mario, dumbed down at its very basic level. For all the creative level design and visuals surrounding it, I could never, ever get past that initial phase. That's not what I want out of 3D Mario.

I have, and always will, consider 3D Mario to be a decidedly separate beast from 2D Mario and I like them for decidedly very different--and usually diametrically opposed--reasons. I don't much care for their continued attempts to cross the streams. Galaxy was a fine middle ground; 3D Land crossed the line. 3D World is the direct continuation of what 3D Land built off, a game I decidedly hate (for reasons 3D World has not made any attempt to rectify). That's what I find off-putting.

I'm the controls guy, the guy that hated 3D Land. I think the graphics guy is someone else.

Gotcha, and I get that. I liked Galaxy games considerably more than 64 and felt that Sunshine's bonus levels alone made it a better game than 64 as well just because I felt the linear structure and level design was so much better than 64's that the step back in moveset was worth it, but I totally agree that the move sets Mario had in 64/with FLUDD were far more complex and interesting (and maybe even a bit redundant, to be honest) than his more modern counterparts. I would absolutely love for Nintendo to bring that set back (and Cat Mario does look sort of promising in this regard) and really utilize it in a way that they didn't in 64. (outside of the speedrunning community, at least) I don't really view moveset complexity as the primary indicator of the direction of a game, though.

Galaxy 1 as well. A change of setting does not a huge leap make in this medium. The level of quality is what truly held that game above its peers.

Ok? That's part of why people are worried. Where 3D Mario used to do something new or different each iteration we now have back to back games that aren't doing that.

Anyone who thought this game was going to be bad was crazy, but it's not crazy to worry that Nintendo isn't going forward with the series and playing it safe.

I just don't think that that was ever the case. The 3d entries have been refinement and structural movement from openness to linearity, not gigantic departures from one another in gameplay. The "newness" has always come from one off mechanics or concepts- which have existed in all of the titles and in increasingly larger amounts as the series has progressed- (3d world doesn't seem to be changing this trend either, judging from the text in reviews) and the setting, which isn't really relevant to true game criticism.

Ok? That's part of why people are worried. Where 3D Mario used to do something new or different each iteration we now have back to back games that aren't doing that.

Anyone who thought this game was going to be bad was crazy, but it's not crazy to worry that Nintendo isn't going forward with the series and playing it safe.
This should never be held against any game.
In a review sense? Absolutely not, and I never implied that it should be. But in a personal expectation sense I don't see why its unreasonable.

ASIS

But Nintendo already said 3D world is NOT a direction of the series. Just as galaxy 2 was not a continuation of the galaxy as the main direction of the series. This is exactly the same scenario, disappointment is one thing, but downright concern is unfounded.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

How was Mario Galaxy not safe? Just cause it was in space? What was so fundamentally different from previous Mario games?

This whole notion that this is a safe approach is laughably pathetic on your part. When a game receives such rave reviews its because its more than just a safe approach or just built upon a previous game. Its a fucking amazing game. Mario games are all tied in. They all share the same fundamentals and platforming norms. Get off it already.

duh, Mario games are always ,,safe'' because it's the biggest videogame franchise and automatically sells certain amounts. However, a Sunshine or Galaxy at least tried to change core mechanics and aesthetics among other things on each new hardware. This however will always be 3D Land 2 - direct sequel to a 2 year old 3DS game, no matter how many 10s it gets.
And you can lol as much as you want, that actually is exactly what I've been sayin all along. ;) Same goes for DK. Never gonna deny that it's gonna be good for what it is, but it's existence is clearly much safer than Prime and it's much closer to it's SD predecessor than the generational leap that one was expecting from Nintendo's best teams for their first HD console. (And unlike the Wii, the new control method hardly plays a role)

In a review sense? Absolutely not, and I never implied that it should be. But in a personal expectation sense I don't see why its unreasonable.

When you reach the point where an obsession for innovation leads to disregarding execution and overall quality I think it's a problem, and all this talk of "pushing forward" being everywhere when it comes to many franchises makes it look like people almost don't give a fuck about games being good anymore and just want something different for different's sake.

EAD is my fav developer and they show me with each new title why I respect them so much.
what an awesome christmas this will be. a new supergood handheld Zelda and a new one-of-the-best Super Mario game to play. this feels like I'm back in my teenage years.
woohoo

The Iwata Asks has clearly shown the negative feedback has heavily affected them after E3. If this isn't a breakthrough on the level of NSMBW (which is impossible on the dead-in-the-water WiiU anyway) despite the safe ,,appeal to all'' route they'll most likely go back to trying new shit like Galaxy imo.

SM3DW has plenty of "new shit" in it.
I don't know what the hell you are ranting about.
It seems to turn out to be one of the best games in thís decade you are still somehow frustrated. like you want it to be bad just to proof your stupid point.
sorry but this is getting tiresome
stop caring how much it will sell or what possibly could go wrong and play the damn game.

But Nintendo already said 3D world is NOT a direction of the series. Just as galaxy 2 was not a continuation of the galaxy as the main direction of the series. This is exactly the same scenario, disappointment is one thing, but downright concern is unfounded.
It has nothing to do with direction. It can go whatever way it wants to and I'd be happy as long as it's taking another step. They could come out and announce Sunshine 2 at E3 and it wouldn't be the same direction as 3D World is, but if it's just another refinement of the Sunshine formula then it would have the same problems some people have with 3D World.
When you reach the point where an obsession for innovation leads to disregarding execution and overall quality I think it's a problem, and all this talk of "pushing forward" being everywhere when it comes to many franchises makes it look like people almost don't give a fuck about games being good anymore and just want something different for different's sake.
You're making a lot of assumptions. I would like every series to push itself forward and do something new. That's not an odd thing to want. I never once discounted anything EAD will do well with the game, or downplay the fact that it'll probably be great like all of EADs other output. That is totally made up by you in your head.

You're making it out like I'm saying that I'm not going to like the game unless it's exactly what I want, which again, is completely made up in your head. But that doesn't mean that I can't be disappointed in the fact that its not going in the direction I'd like it to go in while still appreciating what's there for what it is. Those two feelings are not mutually exclusive.

Zarovitch

duh, Mario games are always ,,safe'' because it's the biggest videogame franchise and automatically sells certain amounts. However, a Sunshine or Galaxy at least tried to change core mechanics and aesthetics among other things on each new hardware. This however will always be 3D Land 2 - direct sequel to a 2 year old 3DS game, no matter how many 10s it gets.
And you can lol as much as you want, that actually is exactly what I've been sayin all along. ;) Same goes for DK. Never gonna deny that it's gonna be good for what it is, but it's existence is clearly much safer than Prime and it's much closer to it's SD predecessor than the generational leap that one was expecting from Nintendo's best teams for their first HD console. (And unlike the Wii, the new control method hardly plays a role)

I'm sure there's more new stuff in this game than many others AAA games release this year.

Karish

I'm actually really happy to hear co-op is not essential to this game. Was worried I'd really miss out if I played it alone. Plan on showing it to my girlfriend but if she doesn't like a game within the first 60 seconds it's hard to keep her attention so ya never know :p

jay

Anyone else think Mario 3 kind of sucks because it's essentially the first game but with different levels and power-ups and doesn't at all change the fundamental mechanics of running and jumping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom