• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

Well, I never doubted that this game will be good, but it was always kinda funny (and maybe a little sad) how people read something completely different in my posts so they'd fit typical standard arguments against people that might have not even spent proper time with Nintendo content - unlike me. So no, I'm not mad the scores but good work on the gif regardless ;)
Unfortunately, reviews were never gonna change the problems with the title. Oh look a 10/10, but is it still a game more heavily based on the groundwork of another (2 year old) Mario title on inferior hardware than any other title in the series history? Yeah. Is it still the culmination of the worst first year lineup of a Nintendo machine since the Virtual Boy? Yes.

Unlike review scores which were easy to predict, I'd be more curious about sales data. Starting with media create next week, I suspect the market (and the fans Nintendo clearly disrespects with sich a pitiful next gen launch, plus 2 years of letting the original Wii rot for no reason right before that) will reject this one as much as the unremarkable NSMBU which represented more than either ,,good/bad game'' but almost all the company's faults in the last couple of years. The actual good machine that is the 3DS will do the rest to cannibalize the sales. Afterwards they'll probably have no choice but to come up with new concepts on par with 64 and Galaxy, even though I'm sure they'd love to crank out more 3D World titles like NSMB instead. Then next gen everyone is gonna be happy again :)

g2b423ee1.png

g06c691bd.png
g06c691bd.png
g06c691bd.png

This dude has more spirals in his logic than the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann finale.

Well, I never doubted that this game will be good, but it was always kinda funny (and maybe a little sad) how people read something completely different in my posts so they'd fit typical standard arguments against people that might have not even spent proper time with Nintendo content - unlike me.

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot. I don’t know how much the rest of you know about Nintendo content (I’m an expert), but honor and sales are huge parts of it...

Well, I never doubted that this game will be good, but it was always kinda funny (and maybe a little sad) how people read something completely different in my posts so they'd fit typical standard arguments against people that might have not even spent proper time with Nintendo content - unlike me. So no, I'm not mad the scores but good work on the gif regardless ;)
Unfortunately, reviews were never gonna change the problems with the title. Oh look a 10/10, but is it still a game more heavily based on the groundwork of another (2 year old) Mario title on inferior hardware than any other title in the series history? Yeah. Is it still the culmination of the worst first year lineup of a Nintendo machine since the Virtual Boy? Yes.

Unlike review scores which were easy to predict, I'd be more curious about sales data. Starting with media create next week, I suspect the market (and the fans Nintendo clearly disrespects with sich a pitiful next gen launch, plus 2 years of letting the original Wii rot for no reason right before that) will reject this one as much as the unremarkable NSMBU which represented more than either ,,good/bad game'' but almost all the company's faults in the last couple of years. The actual good machine that is the 3DS will do the rest to cannibalize the sales. Afterwards they'll probably have no choice but to come up with new concepts on par with 64 and Galaxy, even though I'm sure they'd love to crank out more 3D World titles like NSMB instead. Then next gen everyone is gonna be happy again :)

blah-blah-blah-gif.23957

played with this sound effect

Lunar15

Like with all games, reserving true judgement till I play it. I've been burnt by well reviewed games in the past. I get what Eins is talking about: Rather than being something totally new like Galaxy was, we're dealing with something that still has the trappings we've already seen. Same kinda goes for ALBW in this respect. I don't think this has an effect on the overall quality of the game, but I could see myself being slightly disappointed in the end that it wasn't something that went above and beyond like previous titles have.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This thread delivers on multiple levels. Thanks to all participating parties.

I feel like I've entered a vortex where humans can only communicate through pre-fabricated memes.

Risking to post this in this topic, but yes, I am too worried about the future of this series. They've repeatedly said this game is not coloring the future of the series, but I really don't trust them--to me it sounded like weasel words in case it reviewed/sold poorly. This is still absolutely not the direction I wan the series to go in, but I really don't see them averting it now. We'll see what the future brings, but if, in two years, we see Super Mario 3D World 2 (or some equivalent thereof), well, you'll all have to forgive me if I come of as a little irate.

Yeah. Time will tell, but I think there's reason to be skeptical, especially given the handling of the 2D series.

lol @ Spieler Eins

You know something's fucked up when someone wants a good game to bomb just to prove a point.

If you "never doubted" that the game would be good, then it should follow that you don't want it to fail, period.

Stoze

How is being based on the groundwork of another Mario game a problem with the title? Super Mario World was a game heavily based on the groundwork of another (2 years apart) Mario title on inferior hardware (Mario Bros. 3 on NES). You could make parallels comparing Mario titles like that across any two generations of consoles, Mario games being similar to previous Mario games is not a problem. How does the Wii U not having the greatest 1st year lineup have anything to do with the quality of the title? There's no foreseeable problems with the game based on your logic, and you wouldn't know until you've played the entirety of the game anyways.

traveler

Not Wario
Risking to post this in this topic, but yes, I am too worried about the future of this series. They've repeatedly said this game is not coloring the future of the series, but I really don't trust them--to me it sounded like weasel words in case it reviewed/sold poorly. This is still absolutely not the direction I wan the series to go in, but I really don't see them averting it now. We'll see what the future brings, but if, in two years, we see Super Mario 3D World 2 (or some equivalent thereof), well, you'll all have to forgive me if I come of as a little irate.

Can't wait until we retire the "salt" reply, which effectively halts discussion at the level of "u mad bro".

It'll be hard to know what Nintendo takes away from the sales of this title. Even if the game sells significantly less than Galaxy, they can just chalk that up to the game itself being dragged down by the platform (as opposed to the other way around). And now that the game is getting critical acclaim, they have validation from the enthusiast crowd.

I'd love to see them do something more experimental than yet another 3D ___ title, but I'm afraid that even if we get another ambitious, risky Mario title in a few years, they'll keep going back to the well with this series. The idea of it being an entry-level series for 2D fans is obviously enticing to them, and I feel the addition of multiplayer is a point of no return for Nintendo because they won't want to lose the people who get attached to that experience.

The Iwata Asks has clearly shown the negative feedback has heavily affected them after E3. If this isn't a breakthrough on the level of NSMBW (which is impossible on the dead-in-the-water WiiU anyway) despite the safe ,,appeal to all'' route they'll most likely go back to trying new shit like Galaxy imo.

I guess what I'm confused about here is- and maybe I'm making a mistake by lumping you two together, but I was getting a similar vibe from both posts so I did it anyway- what is a more "ambitious" and desirable direction for the franchise to go in? For me, I still see what's great in Mario in this title and the reviews reflect what I'd expect from that- the pitch perfect controls, quality level design, and willingness to explore one off concepts at a bite sized level, never milking them dry- what is it you aren't seeing in this that you saw in Galaxy or Sunshine or 64?

You best lay off that salt.
Gonna get yourself some high-blood pressure.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I guess what I'm confused about here is- and maybe I'm making a mistake by lumping you two together, but I was getting a similar vibe from both posts so I did it anyway- what is a more "ambitious" and desirable direction for the franchise to go in? For me, I still see what's great in Mario in this title and the reviews reflect what I'd expect from that- the pitch perfect controls, quality level design, and willingness to explore one off concepts at a bite sized level, never milking them dry- what is it you aren't seeing in this that you saw in Galaxy or Sunshine or 64?

Right. I'm guessing they desire more of an open world type game, which I can understand, but its clear from the reviews that the quality of the series is not dropping at all, and that there are plenty of new ideas and mechanics.

It'll be hard to know what Nintendo takes away from the sales of this title. Even if the game sells significantly less than Galaxy, they can just chalk that up to the game itself being dragged down by the platform (as opposed to the other way around). And now that the game is getting critical acclaim, they have validation from the enthusiast crowd.

I'd love to see them do something more experimental than yet another 3D ___ title, but I'm afraid that even if we get another ambitious, risky Mario title in a few years, they'll keep going back to the well with this series. The idea of it being an entry-level series for 2D fans is obviously enticing to them, and I feel the addition of multiplayer is a point of no return for Nintendo because they won't want to lose the people who get attached to that experience.

The Iwata Asks has clearly shown the negative feedback has heavily affected them after E3. If this isn't a breakthrough on the level of NSMBW (which is impossible on the dead-in-the-water WiiU anyway) despite the safe ,,appeal to all'' route they'll most likely go back to trying new shit like Galaxy imo.

khaaan

But what does Destruc- oh wait, that was A Link Between Worlds.
Really happy to see high scores all around but I was expecting them from the very start. I don't own a WiiU yet but this coming weekend...who knows?

jay

I agree, this game is basically a port and the WiiU sucks.

Like with all games, reserving true judgement till I play it. I've been burnt by well reviewed games in the past. I get what Eins is talking about: Rather than being something totally new like Galaxy was, we're dealing with something that still has the trappings we've already seen. Same kinda goes for ALBW in this respect. I don't think this has an effect on the overall quality of the game, but I could see myself being slightly disappointed in the end that it wasn't something that went above and beyond like previous titles have.

This is true, but as time goes on, it becomes harder and harder to do something completely new. Even with new IP... At E3 we saw a ton, but nothing really seemed to be doing anything we haven't seen before outside of the shiny presentation. I am glad for those wise enough to reserve judgement before playing. IMO it's always embarrassing in review threads with positive scores with people calling a game great without having played through it.

Diablos54

And still you go on...

How is this not 'new shit'? They have a fucking Mario Kart level for a start!

one_kill

This is true, but as time goes on, it becomes harder and harder to do something completely new. Even with new IP... At E3 we saw a ton, but nothing really seemed to be doing anything we haven't seen before outside of the shiny presentation. I am glad for those wise enough to reserve judgement before playing. IMO it's always embarrassing in review threads with positive scores with people calling a game great without having played through it.
That's not generally the case though. Most people say "This game looks great!" or "This game's going to be great!"

Some people have also played it on demo stations in shops or at events.

King_Moc

Banned
I wouldn't even think about it, I'd just buy it

Same as, and i already own one!

We know enough about how Mario games play to know that it's great by looking at it though. It's all about the levels. The base gameplay is always top draw.

Sadist

I feel like I've entered a vortex where humans can only communicate through pre-fabricated memes.
It might be childish, but man he had it coming for months. Even for people who were enthousiastic about the game (I was one of those, I've always trusted EAD Tokyo to deliver) he was always there to just absolutey shit on this game, most recently in his funny outburst in the Iwata Asks thread. Because it never could be a game that would beat out the Galaxy duo and even bad because of it's heavy "NSMB-fying of the 3D Mario series". And with his spin now being "hur dur I never said it would be bad, we'll see how the market reacts" is just plain sad.

Well sure, thisisneogaf and all that.

I think their whole point that this isn't a step back at all, but more just a refinement of what's already there. That doesn't mean it's a bad game in any way, just one that isn't innovating the series forward.

I speak little of ambition--my main problem is controls and nerfed movesets, and for all of the praise 3D Land got for its controls, I hated them. I felt they were too limited and reduced the amount of options you had as Mario to a frustrating degree. It was 3D Mario, dumbed down at its very basic level. For all the creative level design and visuals surrounding it, I could never, ever get past that initial phase. That's not what I want out of 3D Mario.

I have, and always will, consider 3D Mario to be a decidedly separate beast from 2D Mario and I like them for decidedly very different--and usually diametrically opposed--reasons. I don't much care for their continued attempts to cross the streams. Galaxy was a fine middle ground; 3D Land crossed the line. 3D World is the direct continuation of what 3D Land built off, a game I decidedly hate (for reasons 3D World has not made any attempt to rectify). That's what I find off-putting.

I'm the controls guy, the guy that hated 3D Land. I think the graphics/ambition guy is someone else.

cafemomo

the game deserved to review and sell well due to that japanese commercial alone

it was the best one Nintendo has put out in recent time

ibzN36NOGvOq6K.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom