• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 Confirmed!

Majmun

Best game of this generation is getting a sequel.

Don't ask me if I'm happy about this.

HOLY FUCK I'M SO HAPPY

RevoDS

Slurpy said:
3 years is 'way too early'? I swear, I will never, ever understand some of you people. What, do you need 6 years between sequels or something? I last played Galaxy 3 years ago. Thats a frikkin long enough time. Mario Galaxy was one of the only games Ive truly enjoyed this gen.

So you last played Galaxy 3 years ago...a year and a half before its release?

The whole thing that makes mainline Mario/Zelda games so much of an ecstatic experience is the fact it happens so rarely...throw in a Mario or Zelda every 2 years, and the franchise will eventually become stale and people will get bored...whored out IPs start sucking after a while (of course I'm not implying it's being whored out, for essentially any other game 2 years is long enough...it doesn't help that they went for a direct sequel either)

jgwhiteus

The trailer made me happy. Seeing Yoshi again made me very happy. And the idea of a sequel, and even of revisiting old worlds again, actually fits in with the plot of the first SMG
given that at the end all the worlds were recreated again, but not quite in the same way according to Rosalina
- so they might have been setting the stage for it even then.

I hope it's still the same composer - Mahito Yokota? - thought the music in the trailer was great, even in MIDI (which I assume is preliminary). Did anyone notice the beginning of the trailer music sounds a bit like Zelda's lullaby? Especially as you get to the part where the Yoshis are swinging and running up the hill. Don't know if that was an intentional homage or not.

Woffls

RevoDS said:
So you last played Galaxy 3 years ago...a year and a half before its release?

Pretty sure he was speaking from the perspective of his future self in early November 2010 just before the game's release, at which point it will have been 3 years.

soldat7

I want 100% new content, not 90%. For simplicity's sake, let's assume there are 100 total galaxies in SMG2. You're telling me that you're OK with 10 out of 100 galaxies being recycled ones from the first game? I'll pass on the Kool-Aid.

I'm sure Nintendo's implementation will be graceful but I'd much rather be playing new innovative content than nostalgia-laden content from SMG, even with new mechanics and goals. It is a bit early to nay-say though, and after SMG I trust that Nintendo has fairly good judgment with regards to the (Galaxy) franchise. SMG deserves a worthy sequel and it looks like that's what we're getting...

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Miyamoto said right now that is more 95% of new content than 90%

And that its as big as the original was.

A bit early to nay-say indeed. ;)

Woffls

90% new galaxies of fresh ideas is more than we deserve to get in one game, even a Nintendo game. From that perspective the last 10% is easily forgivable, especially when a platformer of any kind feels fresh, let alone the creative spark of Miyamoto.

Still 6+ months to release, hopefully they can polish it up to the ridiculously high standard of the first one.

At first I was like "Galaxy 2, Nintendo? Really?" and kinda disappointed with the pure, no frills "just a sequel" nature of the game.... but then I watched the trailer. And I remembered that we're talking about Mario Freaking Galaxy. So now I'm pretty damn excited.

soldat7 said:
I want 100% new content, not 90%. For simplicity's sake, let's assume there are 100 total galaxies in SMG2. You're telling me that you're OK with 10 out of 100 galaxies being recycled ones from the first game? I'll pass on the Kool-Aid.
I get 90 new levels

90 new fucking levels

Mario Galaxy had 15

So, bad simplification there.

But really, it is all new content. In the same manner that extra mission DLC is new content.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
They need a galaxy to expand on the matter splatter concept.

Still I would rather they had pulled a Galaxy with a franchise like DK that could use the boost.

Davey Cakes

He legitimized the sequel right there in the interview. There was a lot of content that just didn't or couldn't make it into the original Mario Galaxy that will get it's chance to shine in Mario Galaxy 2. The mass majority of stuff we'll see in the game is new.

And, on top of that, we've heard that it's a more challenging game than its predecessor.

The complainers can shut up now.

KTallguy

Banned
Pleasantly surprised!!
I never thought this would come out!

I wonder which will perform better, this or New Super Mario Brothers...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Rash said:
He legitimized the sequel right there in the interview. There was a lot of content that just didn't or couldn't make it into the original Mario Galaxy that will get it's chance to shine in Mario Galaxy 2. The mass majority of stuff we'll see in the game is new.

And, on top of that, we've heard that it's a more challenging game than its predecessor.

A short trailer and an interview. Yeah thats totally gonna convince everyone.

Also everyone mentioning good egg or gusty garden...didnt we already get full galaxies out of those. Matter Splatter or Sweet Sweet or Buoy Base make a lot more sense since they were one shot galaxies.

Sharp

HK-47 said:
A short trailer and an interview. Yeah thats totally gonna convince everyone.

Also everyone mentioning good egg or gusty garden...didnt we already get full galaxies out of those. Matter Splatter or Sweet Sweet or Buoy Base make a lot more sense since they were one shot galaxies.
Do you ever stop hating?

KTallguy said:
Pleasantly surprised!!
I never thought this would come out!

I wonder which will perform better, this or New Super Mario Brothers...

This is Galaxy 1/Super Paper Mario all over again.

Except for the fact that NSMB Wii is actually a 2D platformer.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sharp said:
Do you ever stop hating?

I'll see you in the Starcraft II OT =)

What was hating there? One was saying that expecting everyone to immediately have a party because of one interview is stupid. And the other was pointing out the fact that it makes more sense to expand a concept only used once than one used for a full level.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
So excited for this.

It's like a dream. :D I never thought that we would see a sequel to this, even though I really wanted one.

I know it won't happen, but I would like a legitimate story in this one.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Fantastical said:
So excited for this.

It's like a dream. :D I never thought that we would see a sequel to this, even though I really wanted one.

I know it won't happen, but I would like a legitimate story in this one.

The last thing Galaxy 2 needs is the "brillant" writers at Nintendo giving it a story (looks at Sunshine).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Blu_LED said:
Seems like more of an expansion pack to SMG then a sequel. Either way I'm pumped. Absolutely loved the first one.

Yeah. Maybe a Blizzard style expansion pack...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
HK-47 said:
The last thing Galaxy 2 needs is the "brillant" writers at Nintendo giving it a story (looks at Sunshine).
I just want something more than what Galaxy had. I think Nintendo needs to expand what they are doing and become great story tellers as well.

I mean, that library crap - what was that about? Unskippable, long-winded stories as told by Rosalina.

tabsina

Fantastical said:
I just want something more than what Galaxy had. I think Nintendo needs to expand what they are doing and become great story tellers as well.

I mean, that library crap - what was that about? Unskippable, long-winded stories as told by Rosalina.

um.. you didn't need to visit the library once in order to complete the game 100%, why would you want to skip over the library segment, if it didn't require you to visit it? To skip it would have the same result as not entering the library

KTallguy

Banned
Holy Order Sol said:
This is Galaxy 1/Super Paper Mario all over again.

Except for the fact that NSMB Wii is actually a 2D platformer.

That's the point. And it's got Multiplayer. It's really a perfect fit for the Wii.

crops55

Fantastical said:

Unskippable? I made the mistake of waltzing in there exactly one time. Solution? Walk past the door -- story skipped.

crops55

Rancid Mildew said:
I'm going to do a media blackout this time around. I foolishly spoiled a third of the levels in SMG1 before I even played it.

Same here. But really, are you not gonna watch the next gameplay footage that is released? I want to say no, but I'm too weak to enforce any kind of self-discipline when it comes to proper Mario releases.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
tabsina said:
um.. you didn't need to visit the library once in order to complete the game 100%, why would you want to skip over the library segment, if it didn't require you to visit it? To skip it would have the same result as not entering the library
After about two pages I wanted to skip that crap. I could not. It was frustrating.

So yes, unskippable.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Benjillion said:
Just watched the press conference, saw the video anzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

For me it went more like,

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzOMG4D!!11zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzO M G H O L Y S H I T!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!zzzzzzz

I can't wait to pick up a Wii now, finally I really feel that there is enough decent titles that warrant the purchase.

Rash said:

We were also told that Twilight Princess was going to be made more difficult, and for the hardest of hardcore Zelda fans.

Galaxy 2 looks good. I just hope we get a new hub world since the Observatory was such a mess in the original. If not, than just give me a SMW-esque map-screen to choose my level.

Neiteio

People need to CHILL. The five percent of SMG2 that's "old" probably isn't old in the sense that it's lifted straight out of the first game. Chances are you won't encounter a stretch of level in SMG2 that's exactly the same as a stretch of level in SMG1.

Rather, what I suspect they mean by "old" is that some familiar elements -- sling-stars, pull-stars, ice-skating, self-assembling block platforms, et al -- will return. Which is fine, especially if 95 percent of the rest of the game is stuff we've never seen before, such as the drillbit that allows you to shortcut through planetoids and a flutter-jumping, tongue-swinging, water-ballooning Yoshi.

Really, the only thing at all off-putting about SMG2 is that for the first time in Mario-dom, I can't glance at it and readily distinguish it from its predecessor. Barring Lost Levels, the NES trilogy all looked wholly different from each other; the two Super NES titles likewise; the three 3D Marios so far all had a distinct look; but now SMG2, from an aesthetic standpoint, may as well be an expansion pack to the first game. In some cases the geography will be distinctly new -- a hearty "HELL YES" to vast, snowy landscapes -- but by and large the trailer looks a bit too familiar.

Still, I can't wait. This along with Metroid: Other M and S&P2 look tops.

EDIT: Just saw the bit about how some areas from the first game will reappear in remixed form. We'll have to wait and see exactly how remixed they are. Just about every area in the first game was awesome, so if altered enough to keep things fresh, even the five percent that's familiar should be fun.

soldat7

Aaron Strife said:
I get 90 new levels

90 new fucking levels

Mario Galaxy had 15

So, bad simplification there.

But really, it is all new content. In the same manner that extra mission DLC is new content.

There is no bad simplification going on: SMG had 120 stars and I simplified down to 100 for the sake of argument, which still stands: 10%, or 10 stars out of 100, is a decent chunk of recycled content. Fortunately, it sounds like Nintendo is smarter than that.

KeeSomething said:
Galaxy 2 looks good. I just hope we get a new hub world since the Observatory was such a mess in the original. If not, than just give me a SMW-esque map-screen to choose my level.

The observatory wasn't that bad. I'll be ticked if they recycle it of course ;) , but I'd for sure hate to see a simple map screen in place of a hub world.

koam

I didn't finish galaxy, i made it pretty far but since there's a sequel to it, does that mean at the end of galaxy the princess was in another castle?

Blueblur1 said:
All I ask is that they let you unlock Luigi with less stars. I still don't have him. :(

It was awesome they let us unlock him at all. The previous two big Mario platformers didn't even acknowledge he existed.

Ranger X

Fuck this news is the best thing ever.... since Galaxy the first!

I'm fucking drooling (just looked a second time the footage)

Speevy said:
This game is why I wish I still had a Wii.

This E3 is why I wish I still had a Wii. This game, NSMBWii, Silent Hill: SM, S+P2, and the new Metroid all look really enticing. I'm glad I just "loaned" it to my brother for Christmas. I might have to take it back this year.

pakkit

Banned
Even though their conference was pretty poor, Nintendo's platform presence is certainly markedly stronger than it was last year. Ubisoft's conference was mostly devoted to the Wii platform, and some of EA's most exciting projects are going to the tiny white box. I'm extremely excited for Galaxy 2, especially after scrutinizing the trailer a few hundred times.

a. New Items (the drill, the shiny boxes you see in the beginning, Yoshi's Egg, switches that stop time, shadow Mario)
b. New Galaxies, new characters
c. Same amount of content

It will be a long wait till 2010.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
YOSHI

Sequel to game of the decade includes the only part that was missing in its predecessor. I really, really hope they keep Luigi integrated in the adventure
/post-adventure
as I felt his parts were the funniest/most fun.

I do hope they do something more with the suits too. And yeah, media blackout for me. I was doing good last time until the GDC beforehand and the screens they released drew me into the media frenzy. But even I wasn't prepared for the final product, it just kept giving and giving.

I've always believed Super Mario World to be the best 2D Mario, and this seems to invoke so, so many fond memories of that. This game... it's almost something from my dreams- almost as if it was made just for me.

Top Bottom