• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 Confirmed!

kman3000

SpacePirate Ridley said:
YES SIR!

I reaaly hope they have said. look, one of the things that the perfect mario galaxy didnt had but all the people wanted was the Koopa Kids. Why we dont add them in this.
HELL! Why we dont add them in both NSMBW and galaxy 2!?

And then I shit my pants.

Seeing the koopalings in incredible 3D with awesome animation could probably be epic!

Hell, maybe Tatanga appears this time!
I think their already in NSMB Wii

Busaiku

Kotaku did an interview with Miyamoto.
They're saying that maybe 90% of the game is composed of new levels, but the remainder revists some from the original.
Miyamoto said that the original plan was to "essentially create new variations of the worlds in Super Mario Galaxy." But, over time, the developers have had so many ideas that Miyamoto estimates that 90% of the game's levels are all knew. The rest, he said, are levels from the original Mario Galaxy with different objectives.

Scrubking said:
3590767060_313dfc439c_o.gif

That really just brought back vibes of SMW. It's this the only 3D Super Mario full platformer that has a playable Yoshi in it?

Canti

Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
I think you can ride him in Sunshine but that's like the Rocky V of Mario games.
Great analogy :lol

Can't wait for this, sequel to the best platformer ever made :O

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Recycle content ehhh. :/ Nintendo has some really creative people. Is it necessary to retread old ground?

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Archie said:
Recycle content ehhh. :/ Nintendo has some really creative people. Is it necessary to retread old ground?

Oh, give me a fucking break. Where's the content that's being recycled? If ANY game deserved a faithful sequel, its Mario Galaxy. From what I saw from the trailer, there's a ton of new shit. Because it has some of the same fundamental gameplay mechanics does not make it 'recycled'. Mario Galaxy was the very definition of creativity for me, and this looks to be it too. They don't need to reinvent the wheel, especially when Galaxy was so incredibly amazing. The concept gives them almost unlimited creative freedom.

Archie said:

I don't think it's rehashing at all. There's a lot more that can be done with the Galaxy concept that Nintendo hasn't done. They had a good idea in the first game, and now they're expanding upon it in this game.

People think that Nintendo has to reinvent the wheel in every new Mario game, but I'm glad that they're finally taking the time to polish one concept before moving on. If games like Modern Warfare 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 can be made then theres almost certainly nothing wrong with nintendo doing this.

It's not that they're porting over three levels (I'm guessing?) from SMG straight, but I take it more as new levels in similar environments.

TreIII

SpacePirate Ridley said:
YES SIR!

I reaaly hope they have said. look, one of the things that the perfect mario galaxy didnt had but all the people wanted was the Koopa Kids. Why we dont add them in this.
HELL! Why we dont add them in both NSMBW and galaxy 2!?

And then I shit my pants.

Seeing the koopalings in incredible 3D with awesome animation could probably be epic!

Hell, maybe Tatanga appears this time!

*hugs*

You and I speak the same language!

And Tatanga too? Hell, let's just throw in Mousers and TryClydes, while we're at it! Give SMB2/USA some of that good love! :D

Woffls

We can call it rehashing when the game is near release and we've not seen anything new.

'Retreading' Nintendo games is like walking through the park on your way back as well, even the second time it's better then the sidewalk.

=/

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I dunno how I should feel about the 10% same levels thing. I mean, that's a good ratio, but still, kinda feel that's slightly lazy. :/

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Archie said:

I have no problem if people say this, but I'd better not see the same people cheering every other freaking sequel this generation on other platforms. Like every single racing game, fighting game, and FPS game. Because that would just be hypocritical. And stupid.

bridegur

I hope 10% rehashed levels don't mean a 100% recycled overworld. That was the weakest part of SMG. I say bring back the courtyard from SM64 if rehashing is part of the plan.

Woffls

Oblivion said:
I dunno how I should feel about the 10% same levels thing. I mean, that's a good ratio, but still, kinda feel that's slightly lazy. :/

Most games have very limited variation in their level design, so regardless of whether they're 'new' levels in most games, they still feel the same. The difference with Mario games is that the levels are evidentally different, and feel as such; this means they can get away with 'only' 90% new levels because they're fresh enough already.

Honestly, Toy Time Galaxy almost physically felt like a breath of fresh air.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Archie said:
Yes, it is necessary in this case.

1) SMG had some brilliant ideas that were a bit underdeveloped and could have done with some elaboration and increased difficulty. SMG2 does seem like an expansion--and that's absolutely perfect.

2) SMG's strength wasn't one or two big gimmicks done well, like so many other games nowadays. It was a massive roster of small innovations and clever tricks. Given that, a new SMG based on the old engine is a perfect delivery system for even more of this style of design, done by Nintendo's really creative people.

3) The industry isn't inundated with 3D platformers of this type. New additions to the genre are going to feel fresh almost by default, because unlike traditional shooters or sports games, say, there's still lots and lots of new design territory to explore.

Archie said:
Oh come on. Everyone knows this will most likely not top SMG in terms of newness(what can?), but we're all excited because of new content!

bridegur

PantherLotus said:
I have no problem if people say this, but I'd better not see the same people cheering every other freaking sequel this generation on other platforms. Like every single racing game, fighting game, and FPS game. Because that would just be hypocritical. And stupid.

I've complained endlessly about the Ratchet and Clank games getting stale, so I have no problem expecting Nintendo to use all-new content for this game. If it's a sequel in name, it should be a sequel in content. Otherwise, call it Super Mario Galaxy Remix.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Damn you guys are ruthless, lol. Mario Galaxy is probably the most refreshing game this decade in terms of level design. I'm disappointed that they aren't creating all new content because they obviously have the capability to do some really creative and imaginative things.

Scrubking

Miyamoto said that the original plan was to "essentially create new variations of the worlds in Super Mario Galaxy." But, over time, the developers have had so many ideas that Miyamoto estimates that 90% of the game's levels are all knew. The rest, he said, are levels from the original Mario Galaxy with different objectives.

GOOD! There totally weren't enough Buoy base stars. There were some other places that were severely underused too.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
bridegur said:
I've complained endlessly about the Ratchet and Clank games getting stale, so I have no problem expecting Nintendo to use all-new content for this game. If it's a sequel in name, it should be a sequel in content. Otherwise, call it Super Mario Galaxy Remix.
But it's clearly not just a remix. There's at least 90% completely new stuff. SMG2 seems like a sequel in both name and content.

RevoDS

As awesome as Galaxy was...I'm of the opinion that it's way too early, especially since it's a direct sequel unlike previous 3D mainline Mario platformers.

That said, it's still an instabuy. Just hope they develop the hub world a bit more this time, I loved exploring the Castle in SM64 or Delfino Plaza in Sunshine, but Galaxy's was just too small and uninteresting. Same for every other level actually - make them bigger, less linear, and leave more place to exploration and discovery.

Entire galaxy on the cookie level's concept please

camineet

Banned
Favorite Galaxies (in order of favoriteness)

*Melty Molten Galaxy
*Bonefin Galaxy
*Gusty Garden Galaxy
*Good Egg Galaxy
*Sea Slide Galaxy
*Freezeflame Galaxy
*Loop-De-Loop Galaxy (ray surfing)

Christine

Chairman Yang said:
Yes, it is necessary in this case.

1) SMG had some brilliant ideas that were a bit underdeveloped and could have done with some elaboration and increased difficulty. SMG2 does seem like an expansion--and that's absolutely perfect.

2) SMG's strength wasn't one or two big gimmicks done well, like so many other games nowadays. It was a massive roster of small innovations and clever tricks. Given that, a new SMG based on the old engine is a perfect delivery system for even more of this style of design, done by Nintendo's really creative people.

3) The industry isn't inundated with 3D platformers of this type. New additions to the genre are going to feel fresh almost by default, because unlike traditional shooters or sports games, say, there's still lots and lots of new design territory to explore.

I don't normally do this, but you speak so much truth. #2 absolutely nails why this game is necessary. Not doing it would be a shameful missed opportunity.

Woffls

1) Gusty Garden
2) Toy Time
3) Freezeflame

Names are hard to remember >_< They're all awesome. 2010 is going to be the best year in gaming since at least 2007, probably 2004.

spoon!

Yeah guys. Lets all petition to Nintendo to get them to take out all of that 10% recycled content. That way, SMG2 will be 100% new! Fuck what a great idea!

Oh wait, we have no idea how much fucking content there actually is, you fucking morons.

NeonZ

I really don't think levels like Toy Time Galaxy or that last lava one have any chance to return.

He talks about new objectives in the old levels, so chances are the less linear levels, with more planet hopping, are the ones with the biggest chance of returning. Toy Time and several others really don't leave much space for new objectives.

Kreed

I'm looking forward to this. Galaxy was my favorite Wii title, so more Galaxy is good news IMO. And it looks like they've added enough new elements to make a difference to the game play.

I wonder if this game will add on to the playable characters?

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
RevoDS said:
As awesome as Galaxy was...I'm of the opinion that it's way too early, especially since it's a direct sequel unlike previous 3D mainline Mario platformers.

That said, it's still an instabuy. Just hope they develop the hub world a bit more this time, I loved exploring the Castle in SM64 or Delfino Plaza in Sunshine, but Galaxy's was just too small and uninteresting. Same for every other level actually - make them bigger, less linear, and leave more place to exploration and discovery.

Entire galaxy on the cookie level's concept please

3 years is 'way too early'? I swear, I will never, ever understand some of you people. What, do you need 6 years between sequels or something? I last played Galaxy 3 years ago. Thats a frikkin long enough time. Mario Galaxy was one of the only games Ive truly enjoyed this gen.

NeonZ said:
I really don't think levels like Toy Time Galaxy or that last lava one have any chance to return.

He talks about new objectives in the old levels, so chances are the less linear levels, with more planet hopping, are the ones with the biggest chance of returning. Toy Time and several others really don't leave much space for new objectives.

:( That makes a lot of sense... but here's to hoping.

Woffls, you have impeccable taste.

And a full-fledged Bonefin level would be wow.

Top Bottom