• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Pyrokai

So, like, I can't even hold in my excitement for this game but.....am I the only one who didn't pre-order the game who is going to Walmart at midnight to get the game? I feel like no on eis going to do that so......I'm going to do it. I can't even possibly wait until Sunday to get the game. I need the game as SOON as I possibly can get it.

How are some of you getting the game so early? I don't understand; I'm super jealous.

JRW

Skiesofwonder said:
Growing on you? This is amazing from the start. :D

lol ya I liked it from the start but the more I play the game its starting becoming more of an epic tune. (I hear it anytime im on the level select screens).

Instro

Ok no more OST, I skipped through a couple songs but I dont want to ruin the moment when I actually play the game with the music. Very amazing stuff

Magnus

Man, this fucking GAME. THIS FUCKING GAME. So fucking good! Every time I see a new galaxy and think, "man, this might be the first boring one", it stuns me. Wow. Amazing, amazing, amazing.

I'll say this though, the overall reactions to the soundtrack are a little overrated -- I mean, there are some amazing, amazing pieces, but a lot of mediocre ones too that I don't think warrant all the spooge. Granted, I'm only like, 30 stars in and only listened to a couple on youtube. I'm sure there are many amazing epic pieces to come.

JRW

Magnus said:
Man, this fucking GAME. THIS FUCKING GAME. So fucking good! Every time I see a new galaxy and think, "man, this might be the first boring one", it stuns me. Wow. Amazing, amazing, amazing.

I'll say this though, the overall reactions to the soundtrack are a little overrated -- I mean, there are some amazing, amazing pieces, but a lot of mediocre ones too that I don't think warrant all the spooge. Granted, I'm only like, 40 stars in and only listened to a couple on youtube. I'm sure there are many amazing epic pieces to come.

Yea so far part 2 seems to have more "happy" tunes which isnt really my preference, such as Puzzle Plank Galaxy, but at least they arent completely annoying or bad :D

I wanna hear more tunes like this one from Galaxy 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et4JXYP8r1E :D

seady

timetokill said:
It's sad that I know people in the industry who mock Mario games and constantly say, "oh, they're making another one?" in a joking tone. These games are brilliant.

I fully expect this game to get ignored at the GDC Awards though.

Those American award show only focus on Western games. Just like Oscar, you don't expect them to give a fair share to a Brazil or Hong Kong movie.

Also, as much as people mock Mario for 'another one', it was the first time since SNES that a true proper Mario sequel is release for the same platform. Compare that to games like Ratchet & Clank and Call of Duty where they have like 5 games a generation.

Magnus

JRW said:
Yea so far part 2 seems to have more "happy" tunes which isnt really mt preference, such as Puzzle Plank Galaxy, but at least they arent completely annoying or bad :D

SMG1's still a more standout collection of tunes in my mind right now, but again, I'm only like 30 stars in here.

Puzzle Plank was cool, but again, a little overrated.

I actually dug the shit out of the galaxy whose music sped up or slowed down in tempo
based on your movements and the speed of your motion-controlled ball

Phoenixus

Was really surprised to see a commercial for this just before Prince of Persia's Cinema showing yesterday, was a bit cheesy, but otherwise good work Nintendo. (movie was fairly good btw)

Am going to put down a pre-order later, sucks UK has to wait so long, my sympathies go out to the aussies too. :(

cory

Banned
Magnus said:
I actually dug the shit out of the galaxy whose music sped up or slowed down in tempo
Like in the first game?

Magnus

Oh, and while I had some friends over tonight, we tried out the 2-player option.

My god guys....this game's fucking brilliant in co-op. I really hadn't seen shit about SMG2 ahead of time aside from the E3 announcement trailer last year, so this was a great surprise to me.

The 2nd player can grab items for the main player, and freeze obstacles and enemies in place nearly indefinitely, sometimes causing chain reactions of events to occur!

The incredibly hectic pace of some of these levels almost demands this kind of aid from the second player. It hardly feels tacked on, and yet, it's perfectly playable alone as well.

Magnificence!

cory said:
Like in the first game?

Oh, I don't remember it. Guess it must've been in SMG1 too, then. Sorry, been two and a half years. :lol

People who complain about too many Mario games don't know the difference between a spin-off and a MARIO GAME.

The time between Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine was soooooo long. Sunshine to Galaxy was pretty big, too. I'm frankly quite thankful that I'm not going to have to endure another drought before playing the next entry in the series.

Odrion

Banned
autobzooty said:
People who complain about too many Mario games don't know the difference between a spin-off and a MARIO GAME.

The time between Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine was soooooo long. Sunshine to Galaxy was pretty big, too. I'm frankly quite thankful that I'm not going to have to endure another drought before playing the next entry in the series.
yup

still in disbelief this is really happening

Odrion said:
yup

still in disbelief this is really happening

yeah same. it's like it still hasn't really sunk in, especially with my media blackout! :lol

I can't wait to be smacked across the face on sunday.

Kard8p3

Magnus said:
SMG1's still a more standout collection of tunes in my mind right now, but again, I'm only like 30 stars in here.

Puzzle Plank was cool, but again, a little overrated.

My guess is opinions will likely be split on which game has the better soundtrack. In the end they're both amazing but from what I've heard from Galaxy 2 I'm like it's soundtrack a bit better than the first.

Speevy

Banned
autobzooty said:

You'll find a group that believes pretty much anything. (for example, that the Galaxies are actually spinoffs themselves and the first real Mario game was NSMBWii, that one cracks me up)

Teknoman

Speevy said:
You'll find a group that believes pretty much anything. (for example, that the Galaxies are actually spinoffs themselves and the first real Mario game was NSMBWii, that one cracks me up)

If its got Super Mario in the title its a main series title. Or at least thats what I think.

BocoDragon said:
So happy to hear Mario 64 remixes... it's just old enough that they trigger super-nostalgia at this point. :D

edit: a youtube comment says this tune was in Galaxy 1 as well? I don't even remember it @_@

The original version (N64) was in Galaxy 1, not the one with the vocal choir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2j_ydbGy88&feature=related

Bowser's Dark matter plant.

It's not the great reviews scores, the great impressions, or even the great gameplay footage that makes me want to get a Wii (AGAIN) just to get this game...

It's the music. The wonderful soundtrack is pulling me in. I knew I would feel like this when SMG2 was announced... :(

Gotta find a way to play this.

Impressions - 2 hours in (got 10 stars, beat World 1)

Pros:
- Incredible controls, gameplay mechanics, level design
- New power-ups are awesome (cloud mario, drill)
- Yoshi is really fun to use (which I always had him!)
- Don't mind loss of HUB, ship is good enough
- Same great music, graphics.

Cons:
- Boss battles are far too easy

fernoca

autobzooty said:
Super Mario Strikers

Super Paper Mario

Mario's Super Sluggers (CLOSE :p)

ehh
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Super Mario Ball (Mario Pinball in the US)
  • Super Mario Stadium (Mario Super Sluggers in the US)
:p

tabsina

DevelopmentArrested said:
Impressions - 2 hours in (got 10 stars, beat World 1)

Pros:
- Incredible controls, gameplay mechanics, level design
- New power-ups are awesome (cloud mario, drill)
- Yoshi is really fun to use (which I always had him!)
- Don't mind loss of HUB, ship is good enough
- Same great music, graphics.

Cons:
- Boss battles are far too easy

wait.. it's out?

seady

For the people that are playing the game, is this one really devoid of any story (other than your rescue your princess dated from Super Mario Bros.) compare to the first SMG?

seady said:
For the people that are playing the game, is this one really devoid of any story (other than your rescue your princess dated from Super Mario Bros.) compare to the first SMG?

According to one of the video reviews, there's no story and basically what you said.

seady said:
there's 5 mins of story at the beginning.. that's about it

BocoDragon said:
For press...

...and for the other 'p' word people...

yes, these are the only 2 ways for people to be playing right now.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
DevelopmentArrested said:
yes, these are the only 2 ways for people to be playing right now.
You could also be the worst kind of scum: retail manager. *shudder*

Feep

Banned
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels U.S.)
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Galaxy
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 2

It's really unbelievable if you think about it. Mario is the one of the most recognized brand names on the planet, and yet despite all his spin-offs, this is the only the ELEVENTH true Mario title. And what a spectacular eleven they are. There isn't a single game in that list that isn't fucking fantastic, and no fewer than four of them completely altered the course of gaming history.

Edit: Included NSMB and NSMB:W

RagnarokX

Feep said:
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2

It's really unbelievable if you think about it. Mario is the one of the most recognized brand names on the planet, and yet despite all his spin-offs, this is the only the NINTH true Mario title. And what a spectacular nine they are. There isn't a single game in that list that isn't fucking fantastic, and no fewer than four of them completely altered the course of gaming history.
New Super Mario Bros and New Super Mario Bros Wii?

BocoDragon

Feep said:
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2

It's really unbelievable if you think about it. Mario is the one of the most recognized brand names on the planet, and yet despite all his spin-offs, this is the only the NINTH true Mario title. And what a spectacular nine they are. There isn't a single game in that list that isn't fucking fantastic, and no fewer than four of them completely altered the course of gaming history.
Don't you think the New SMB games should be on that list?

edit: beaten!

Feep said:
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Galaxy
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 2

It's really unbelievable if you think about it. Mario is the one of the most recognized brand names on the planet, and yet despite all his spin-offs, this is the only the ELEVENTH true Mario title. And what a spectacular eleven they are. There isn't a single game in that list that isn't fucking fantastic, and no fewer than four of them completely altered the course of gaming history.

Edit: Included NSMB and NSMB:W

I would remove Yoshi's Island and include Super Mario Land and Super Mario Land 2.

JRW

Just finished all of the levels in World 2 and must say im absolutely floored.

Nintendo went all out this time around.

Wow

BocoDragon

Feep said:
For some reason, I never think of those, but I guess they belong...

Meh. They dilute the list! :lol
They're good though.

Just consider them modern day counterparts to Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels). They don't innovate all that much, but they continue a winning formula... and frankly they do more than even that comparison.

Allan Holdsworth said:
I would remove Yoshi's Island and include Super Mario Land and Super Mario Land 2.

Yoshi's Island must be there... it's Super Mario World 2 man! (officially in the west... unofficially in Japan)

...actually, nice thesis.. but there are more than 9 true Mario games no doubt.

And I think there is merit to including Mario Land games... but then do you include SM Land 3: Wario Land? Or Wario Land 2, 3, 4, Virtual Boy, and Shake It? :p

CassSept

Mario Land should count, after all it is a mainline Mario game.

I've finally came home and started listening to the soundtrack OH MY GOD
Melty Monster Galaxy theme is spectacular, I'd go as far as saying it is, along with final boss theme better than anything in the first game. And that's saying a lot.

Kaldea

I didn't think I'd like the music all that much from the little I've heard from a couple trailers, but now that I've gone through most of the OST, wow at everything. Melty Monster Galaxy is a definite early favorite. :D

Amir0x

Banned
Man Mario Galaxy 2's Throwback Whomp Fortress music is exactly the way I imagine Mario. Bumping along with jazzy feet as he glides from platform to platform. SO GOOD

Top Bottom