• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy Appreciation Thread

ziran

i1jhch.jpg

This thread includes spoilers, so if you haven't played the game go to the official thread, here. It's inspired by _Alkaline_'s excellent Metroid Prime 3 and Zelda: Twilight Princess threads, and Tab0203's fantastic 'JUMP' series of videos, which are posted at the end - check them out if you haven't seen them, they're brilliant!

Super Mario Galaxy is an amazing, amazing game, and for me, like many others, it's the greatest videogame ever made. On a recent replay I've been reminded of how staggeringly awesome it is, and as stewacide said: 'Galaxy is as close to perfect as a game could be'

It really is the closest thing to gaming perfection in the 30 years I've been playing since the late 70s. Masterfully made by those genius guys and gals at EAD, I have to wonder what magic they sprinkled on this to make it so utterly incredible. 242 stars, twice, and I still love playing it! Everything about it, the controls, the level design, the fluidity of play, the art direction, the music, the sound effects, are all stunning. It's exactly what a videogame should be.

This is an appreciation thread and while I think it's the greatest videogame ever made you don't have to, obviously. Criticisms are welcome. But, if you're going to just troll on about how Wii has no games and you can't understand how it's selling so astoundingly well everywhere, please don't, thanks :)

History
During the latter part of the N64 and the life of GC Nintendo was in a phase of transition, as the reigns were being passed to Iwata from Yamauchi, and as Nintendo expanded and restructured internally for what would become their resurgence in the videogame industry, DS and Wii. The problem was they had to turn a profit and therefore still release SW and HW.

Miyamoto, as head of all development at the time, realised talent capable of producing and directing Nintendo quality titles needed to emerge in order for the company to move forward, while still supporting current platforms. This created an unfortunate philosophy throughout the majority of GC's life, where Nintendo decided to forgo their 'take as much time as is needed to perfect a title' strategy in favour of a 'shorter dev time more titles' approach. This didn't work and ultimately added to the inevitable decline and 3rd place position of their 4th home system. However, what this did do was allow future stars, Aonuma, Koizumi, Shimizu, Eguchi, Konna, Kimura, etc, to develop and become the giants they could be.

Way back when, Miyamoto showed off the 128 Marios demo, which was in some part the beginnings of Mario Galaxy. Miyamoto came up with the idea of having a Mario game with spheres and gravity, which came under uncertainty at EAD. In the meantime Super Mario Sunshine was released and EAD Tokyo was formed. This was essentially the core SMS team relocated to Tokyo so Nintendo could attract Tokyo talent.

Koizumi persevered with Miyamoto's direction and things began to take shape. As worked progressed the team began seeing the potential, and, well, the rest is history...

For more details, and other interesting info about the game and development team, read the excellent Iwata Asks interviews below.

Trailers
E3 2006
GDC 2007
E3 2007
Official Japanese Trailer
Official NA Trailer

Cut Scenes
Intro

Ending

Power-Ups
Bee

Boo

Fire

Flying

Ice

Invincibility

Spring

The Galaxieshttp://guides.ign.com/guides/748588/page_3.html

Battlerock Galaxy
Battlerock Barrage
Breaking into the Battlerock
Topmaniac and the Topman Tribe
Topmaniac's Daredevil Run
Purple Coins on the Battlerock
Battlerock's Garbage Dump
Luigi Under the Saucer

Beach Bowl Galaxy
Sunken Treasure
Passing the Swim Test
The Secret Undersea Cavern
Fast Foes on the Cyclone Stone
Beachcombing for Purple Coins
Wall Jumping up Waterfalls

Bigmouth Galaxy
Bigmouth's Gold Bait

Bonefin Galaxy
Kingfin's Fearsome Waters

Boo's Boneyard Galaxy
Racing the Spooky Speedster

Bowser Jr's Airship Armada
Sinking the Airships

Bowser Jr's Lava Reactor
King Kaliente's Spicy Return

Bowser Jr's Robot Reactor
Megaleg's Moon

Bowser's Dark Matter Plant
Darkness on the Horizon

Bowser's Galaxy Reactor
The Fate of the Universe

Bowser's Star Reactor
The Fiery Stronghold

Bubble Blast Galaxy
The Electric Labyrinth

Bubble Breeze Galaxy
Through the Poison Swamp

Buoy Base Galaxy
The Floating Fortress
The Secret of Buoy Base

Deep Dark Galaxy
The Underground Ghost Ship
Bubble Blastoff
Guppy and the Underground Lake
Ghost Ship Daredevil Run
Plunder the Purple Coins
Boo in a Box

Dreadnought Galaxy
Infiltrating the Dreadnought
Dreadnought's Colossal Cannons
Revenge of the Topman Tribe
Topman Tribe Speed Run
Battlestation's Purple Coins
Dreadnought's Garbage Dump

Drip Drop Galaxy
Giant Eel Outbreak

Dusty Dune Galaxy
Soaring on the Desert Winds
Blasting through the Sand
Sunbaked Sand Castle
Sandblast Speed Run
Purple Coins in the Desert
Bullet Bill on Your Back
Treasure of the Pyramid

Flipswitch Galaxy
Painting the Planet Yellow

Freezeflame Galaxy
The Frozen Peak of Barron Bill
Freezeflame's Blistering Core
Hot and Cold Collide
Frosty Cosmic Mario Race
Purple Coins on the Summit
Conquering the Summit

Gateway Galaxy
Grand Star Rescue
Gateway's Purple Coins

Ghostly Galaxy
Luigi and the Haunted Mansion
A Very Spooky Sprint
Beware of Bouldergeist
Bouldergeist's Daredevil Run
Purple Coins in the Bone Pen
Matter Splatter Mansion

Gold Leaf Galaxy
Star Bunnies on the Hunt
Cataquack to the Skies
When it Rains, it Pours
Cosmic Mario Forest Race
Purple Coins in the Woods
The Bell on the Big Tree

Good Egg Galaxy
Dino Piranha
A Snack of Cosmic Proportions
King Kaliente's Battle Fleet
Dino Piranha Speed Run
Purple Coin Omlet
Luigi on the Roof

Gusty Garden Galaxy
Bunnies in the Wind
The Dirty Tricks of Major Burrows
Gusty Garden's Gravity Scramble
Major Burrow's Daredevil Run
Purple Coins on the Purple Cube
The Golden Chomp

Honeyclimb Galaxy
Scaling the Sticky Wall

Honeyhive Galaxy
Bee Mario Takes Flight
Trouble on the Tower
Big Bad Bugaboom
Honeyhive Cosmic Mario Race
The Honeyhive's Purple Coins
Luigi in the Honeyhive Kingdom

Hurry-Scurry Galaxy
Shrinking Satellite

Loopdeeloop Galaxy
Surfing 101

Loopdeeswoop Galaxy
The Galaxy's Greatest Wave

Matter Splatter Galaxy
Watch Your Step

Melty Molten Galaxy
The Sinking Lava Spire
Through the Meteor Storm
Fiery Dino Piranha
Lava Spire Daredevil Run
Red-Hot Purple Coins
Burning Tide

Rolling Gizmo Galaxy
Gizmos, Gears, and Gadgets

Rolling Green Galaxy
Rolling in the Clouds

Sand Spiral Galaxy
Choosing a Favorite Snack

Sea Slide Galaxy
Going after Guppy
Faster Than a Speeding Penguin
The Silver Stars of Sea Slide
Underwater Cosmic Mario Race
Purple Coins by the Seaside
Hurry, He's Hungry

Sling Pod Galaxy
A Very Sticky Situation

Snow Cap Galaxy
Star Bunnies in the Snow

Space Junk Galaxy
Pull Star Path
Kamella's Airship Attack
Tarantox's Tangled Web
Pull Star Path Speed Run
Purple Coin Spacewalk
Yoshi's Unexpected Appearance

Sweet Sweet Galaxy
Rocky Road

Toy Time Galaxy
Heavy Metal Mecha-Bowser
Mario Meets Mario
Bouncing Down Cake Lane
Fast Foes of Toy Time
Luigi's Purple Coins
The Flipswitch Chain

Music
Composed by Mahito Yokota and Koji Kondo. Amazing music for an amazing game! Some You Tubes:
Gusty Garden - Orchestra Video
Good Egg Galaxy
Battlerock Galaxy
Space Junk Galaxy
Toy Time Galaxy
Sweet Sweet Galaxy
Buoy Base Galaxy
And check out this fan made remix on Mario Paint! Gusty Garden Space Remix

Purple Coins
One of the things Miyamoto did when he came on board for a more in-depth role, towards the end of the development, was make the game harder, and the Purple Coins were probably part of this. Often fiendish, making the player express themselves in very vocal way..., but still rewarding and the right side of challenge, even Luigi's Purple Coins, with some people making collecting all 150 coins look easy!

Luigi
On completing the game Luigi was unlockable for another playthrough and a shot at the full 242 stars of the game. At first I didn't like his play mechanics, but after 10 or so levels I found him as easy to control as Mario and ended up enjoying this run more than my first. Probably because it was so new first time round, the second time I knew what I was doing and could appreciate more of the game and its amazing level design, speaking of which...

Amazing Levels

zl8ahi.jpg

106xcgl.jpg

214v2p2.jpg

2v8ju4l.jpg

zmgm4x.jpg

2ypenlv.jpg

mihxzm.jpg

vopgzp.jpg

2pphj5x.jpg

nyu8g.jpg

Friends And Foes, New And Old

2s61tly.jpg

sesup2.jpg

icr5hl.jpg

23mkebm.jpg

2gvjyae.jpg

168eyrk.jpg

25r0778.jpg

5nsqkw.jpg

m8fdok.jpg

35jmtqv.jpg

214t7pc.jpg

15f63bt.jpg

Games Within Games

rbfpyt.jpg

htz7sy.jpg

2ppjvh0.jpg

The Best Interview From The Best Series - Iwata Asks:

...Iwata: Incidentally, I had heard about the spherical platforms from Miyamoto-san more than five years ago, though at the time, I didn’t quite understand why having spherical platforms would be so ground-breaking. However, as Mario Galaxy began to take shape, I finally started to understand.

Koizumi: At the time, I felt the same way. It sounds interesting, but I wasn't sure whether or not it would be worth the effort. Thinking back, this probably was a thought that was shared by everyone in the staff. But Miyamoto-san kept saying over and over again that he wanted to make it happen.

Shimizu: So, about two years ago, after we were finished developing Donkey Kong Jungle Beat3 for the GameCube, we had some time to plan what our next game would be. I had suggested creating a new, original game on our own, but then Miyamoto-san said in a rather sad tone, "I wish you could make a game with Nintendo characters...". (laughs)...

...Miyamoto: Games have now become 3D, and as the scale of the games has increased, the levels have tended to become longer. I think this is something that has to be reconsidered, but playing the same part over again should actually be fun. As you’re playing the same level again, you become more attached to that level. But by placing checkpoints that makes it easier for the players to move on in the game, I think it results in fewer levels which leave an impression on players. So five years on, if someone were to ask you, “What did you think of that game?” you wouldn’t have a thing to say about it. I want to make games that everyone will remember...
Koizumi Interviews
IGN - Nov 29 2007
Gamespot - Dec 1 2007
Game Daily - Dec 3 2007
Next Gen - Dec 3 2007
Wired - Dec 4 2007
1UP/EGM - Feb 19 2008

More articles and interviews worth reading - thanks to Tab0203 and Oblivion
Music 4 Games - Interview with Super Mario Galaxy composers Koji Kondo and Mahito Yokota
Music 4 Games - Super Mario Galaxy Audio Journal
Gamasutra - Opinion: What Super Mario Galaxy's Rosalina Shows Us About Storytelling
Gamasutra - Understanding The Fun of Super Mario Galaxy
IGN - E3 2007: Nintendo Developer Roundtable
Gamespot - Shigeru Miyamoto Video Interview
ONM - Shigeru Miyamoto Interview

Tab0203's Awesome Video Clips (MUST SEE!!)

Super Mario Galaxy - Jump Compilation: Best of 1-5
Music:
Fight to the Death at Koopa's Fort
Star Dust Road
Teresa Waltz
Nemesis King Koopa
Nemesis King Koopa Chorus
Battlerock

Super Mario Galaxy - Jump Compilation 6
Music:
Teresa Waltz
Tension
Bowser's Galaxy Reactor

33uy0ye.png

a41zso.png

Super Mario Galaxy - Jump Compilation 5

dbp7ps.png

243rrqb.png

Super Mario Galaxy - Jump Compilation 4

Super Mario Galaxy - Jump Compilation 3

Super Mario Galaxy - Jump Compilation 2

Super Mario Galaxy - Jump Compilation 1

Super Mario Galaxy - Jump Compilation: Luigi Edition

Conclusion
If you've played the game and loved it, do yourself a favour and play it again. Second time around it's even more fun! If you don't have the game and think you'd like this kind of thing, buy it asap!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm not exactly a Mario platformer hardcore nut. My love of Mario platformers typically begins with SMB3 and ends with Yoshi's Island (including YIDS and Super Mario World).

Super Mario Galaxy is the very first modern Mario platformer to stand up with the best the series had to offer, IMHO.

I 120'd it with Mario not long after it first came out. It's about time I likewise master Luigi's mode.

Amir0x

Banned
This NEEDS an appreciation thread? Game came out only less than a year ago and everyone loves it!

I mean I agree with the appreciation - it's my favorite game of all time - but damn!

Since it's such a good game and you put in so much effort, though, CELEBRATE GALAXY WEE! :D

Dever

Banned
I got all the stars. Twice. The gameplay was incredible I admit, but it didn't leave me with that "OMG THIS GAME WAS SO AMAZING" feeling for some reason. The final boss battle was pretty meh, but it probably was more about how I had seen way too much of the game beforehand, so there were really no surprises left. :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
My mind tells me it's still too early for a thread like this, but actually reading this thread brings back so many great memories that it is hard to feel skeptical.

What an amazing game.

Torquill

Likely a better game than Mario 64, but I can never give unbiased feelings on that since M64 was my first 3D game ever and there's just too much wrapped up in that. :D

but then Miyamoto-san said in a rather sad tone, "I wish you could make a game with Nintendo characters...".

/boggle?

Darkman M

Your effort has some what tempted me to turn my Wii on again and play this, i got like an hour or 2 gameplay in on it before i quit playing me Wii, Greta effort with this thread.

Definitely in my top ten. My favorite galaxy was Good Egg, and I loved collecting star-bits. Most of the boss battles were kind of meh and way too easy, though.

ziran

Amir0x said:
This NEEDS an appreciation thread? Game came out only less than a year ago and everyone loves it!

I mean I agree with the appreciation - it's my favorite game of all time - but damn!

Since it's such a good game and you put in so much effort, though, CELEBRATE GALAXY WEE! :D
Thank you. It needs celebrating! :D

I was really going by _Alkaline_'s Metroid Prime 3 appreciation thread, which came out 10 months after the game, like this, Tab0203's amazing, MUST SEE, 'JUMP' videos not being viewed by many who would enjoy them, and the fact after time to digest and a recent playthrough SMG has been confirmed as the greatest videogame ever made!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I appreciate this game immensely, showed you don't have to be Bald Space Marine FPS 5 HD to win over the games industry this gen.

Also did anyone catch that those... mechanical koopas in Toy Time were from Bowser's Castle in Super Mario World? I was absolutely ecstatic when I saw them; SMW was my first Mario game and holds a special place in my heart. Things like that really add up and make this game what it is in my opinion: a fusion of both old and new in the most elegant way possible.

The official thread was appreciation enough, but great effort on this thread, anyway. Everything that needs to be said has already been said. Peace.

sonicmj1

I don't know if it needs an appreciation thread, but it's a really excellent game. Absolutely sublime level design all the way through, and generally fantastic control. The game is always throwing new surprises at you, but it's never insurmountable or intimidating. Few titles do that in this day and age.

Watching a friend get some of the purple coin stars made me stop once I had done everything else but them (some of them seemed kinda anti-fun), but playing through one of those stars for a little bit at the Nintendo World store made me sort of want to pick it up again and finish it off. If it weren't for the incredibly finnicky ball-rolling levels, it would be totally flawless, IMO.

Azure J

Andrex said:
I appreciate this game immensely, showed you don't have to be Bald Space Marine FPS 5 HD to win over the games industry this gen.

Also did anyone catch that those... mechanical koopas in Toy Time were from Bowser's Castle in Super Mario World? I was absolutely ecstatic when I saw them; SMW was my first Mario game and holds a special place in my heart. Things like that really add up and make this game what it is in my opinion: a fusion of both old and new in the most elegant way possible.

Then you should understand the sheer amount of nostalgic joy i had when I saw the very Mario-3 esque art design for most of the levels (bolt blocks and airships? FUCK YEAH)

Mario 3 will always be my personal Game of Everything and Anything Good, and this game is just like the 3D version of it. A+ Nintendo.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
SetUhatU said:
This was, by far, the best game I played on Wii. I think we need a sequel!

Guh. Why always turn everything into a series of sequels? If you only mean "We need another Mario game", then, well, we'll get one, that's a given, but I'd rather they tried something new within the franchise, rather than simply release "Super Mario Galaxy 2". It's not like Galaxy needs much refining, anyway :D.

That said, I approve of this thread.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
After looking at those screens again, I'm still in awe how nobody, not even Nintendo itself, has managed to top those graphics on Wii. (and don't say The Conduit, that game may be technically proficient but the art is horrific). I loved this game, apart from the underwater stages (which suck in any 3D game). Definitely the best 3D mario and best game of 07.

Dr.Hadji

I guess a Mario Galaxy postmortem thread would practically be an appreciation thread anyway. Just a note. When people pop into threads where any amount of criticism is being leveled again a game people say "GAF backlash happens to all big hyped game". Just remember that Galaxy is at least on game that bucks that trend.

God I adore this game so much.

You know what we really need? A Nintendo appreciation thread in general, what with all the hate they get these days. The Nintendo loyal needs to stick together and be reminded that they're not totally alone in this big scary world. :p

Azure J

djtiesto said:
After looking at those screens again, I'm still in awe how nobody, not even Nintendo itself, has managed to top those graphics on Wii.

Kid Icarus & Zelda Wii. BELIEVE.

Azure J

Edag Plata said:
God I adore this game so much.

You know what we really need? A Nintendo appreciation thread in general, what with all the hate they get these days. The Nintendo loyal needs to stick together and be reminded that they're not totally alone in this big scary world. :p

I'm down for this. Nintendo Defense Force anyone? :lol

ethic

Kilrogg said:
Guh. Why always turn everything into a series of sequels? If you only mean "We need another Mario game", then, well, we'll get one, that's a given, but I'd rather they tried something new within the franchise, rather than simply release "Super Mario Galaxy 2". It's not like Galaxy needs much refining, anyway :D.

That said, I approve of this thread.

I'd much prefer a sequel to SMG than an entirely new Mario game.
Not because it needs refining, but because the gravity / sphere mechanic
was just so much damn fun and I'd love to play a lot more levels like
that. SMG was great, and it was a fair length, but I wanted it to keep
on going.

Azure J

fin said:
Metroid Prime 3

Equal, if not veeeerrrry close. Something about Mario Galaxy just seems a bit more advanced or polished than Prime 3 for some reason.

Then again, maybe its the nostalgic art direction... *shrugs*

I absolutely loved playing Gusty Gardens for the first time. When that music kicked in I was in gaming heaven. Hadn't smiled like that playing a game since I was a wee lad.

Amir0x

Banned
To me the time this game became something more than its initial tutorial levels... when you do a triple jump and then literally float around the entirety of a planette. I was all :O and wonder and splendor.

SPECIAL NOTE to the magical fucking soundtrack of unlimited joy and pleasure. What a fucking great soundtrack.

andycapps

I really need to finish this game.. I just can't seem to play more than an hour or so on it at a time. I guess I'm probably about halfway through. There are some things in it that drove me nuts due to the difficulty, but that is the nature of platformers I suppose. The vast majority of levels are pretty simple, but every now and then I get to one that I know what to do, but it's just too difficult. But yeah, it's old-school Nintendo and for that it's great. :D I just suck at finishing games, and usually if a game frustrates me, I turn it off and don't play it again.

Amory

Awesome game. Right up there with mario world and mario 3 for my favorite one ever. Actually it probably beats out those 2. The boss fights were all too easy, yeah, but I liked the difficulty on the daredevil comets when you'd have to beat a boss without taking a hit. The boulder one was pretty tough.

This guy:
180px-Boulderg.PNG

Mohonky

Guled said:
really awesome game, but I think it was over hyped, its still the best 3d mario game tho

Games like Uncharted are over hyped, Mario Galaxy however is the real deal; it achieves near perfection in everything it does; mind boggling level design and creativity, variation between worlds keeps the mechanics from ever getting stale, aesthetically brilliant, superb controls and mechanics....everything about it is near flawless.

ziran

...and, there's far too much doom and gloom on GAF these days when there are truly great games to play and replay. GAF needs more FUN!

2labiix.jpg

Also, thanks to all for the complements :)

EDIT-

And, if you haven't watched Tab0203's 'JUMP' videos, please do! They are seriously amazing! :D

yoopoo

Banned
I don't love it, I liked. Still think Metroid is a superior game. Though Visuals are better in Galaxy.

Beat the game but haven't seen all the galaxies yet, will get back to it someday.

ethic said:
on going.

Honestly I'd be happy with whatever they decide. I both implicitly trust EAD's idea for a brand new Mario game, and yet would love 20 more hours of SMG awesomeness.

Guled

Mohonky said:
Games like Uncharted are over hyped, Mario Galaxy however is the real deal; it achieves near perfection in everything it does; mind boggling level design and creativity, variation between worlds keeps the mechanics from ever getting stale, aesthetically brilliant, superb controls and mechanics....everything about it is near flawless.
I do agree that the aesthetics and variation between levels are really awesome, but I find the game to be overhyped. IMO I find R&C more entertaining, even though I agree galaxy is a better game. And I still think the Orange Box was the GOTY last year. It my opinion so don't get the wrong idea here, I still really like this game and I think its the best 3d mario yet.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Still play it frequently to this day. Such an awesome game in all regards, it's always a joy.

ziran said:
...and, there's far too much doom and gloom on GAF these days when there are truly great games to play and replay. GAF needs more FUN!
Agreed.

DangerStepp

Aw, man. Did you really have to go and create a thread that is going to make me want to play it again? I have too many other new games to be finishing!

I want to play it again now.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
ethic said:
on going.

Well, let's just say EAD Tokyo is EAD Tokyo, and there's always, ALWAYS potential to surpass a previous work.

If Nintendo wants to leverage its franchises (which makes sense from a business perspective), I'm fine with it, as long as they're not creatively bankrupt. Mario Galaxy is the proof in the pudding: Nintendo can refine and improve a given formula, yet innovate in a way that makes us go "wow".

I want be wowed by something new. Super Mario Universe, you'd betterbe better than SMG :D.

Someone needs to slap Miyamoto in the face and tell him that 3D MARIO GAMES DON'T NEED A FUCKING LIFEBAR!

That's my only real complaint, other than the camera approaching Mario 64 levels of incompetence.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Best videogame fun I've had in the past decade, one of the few cases where after having beaten the game (and I do that only when I feel truly engaged) I wanted MOAR.

Azure J

nincompoop said:
Someone needs to slap Miyamoto in the face and tell him that 3D MARIO GAMES DON'T NEED A FUCKING LIFEBAR!

That's my only real complaint, other than the camera approaching Mario 64 levels of incompetence.

As much as I disagree, I'd LOVE to see Mario take a hit and shrink, then do the traditional "fall into the foreground" from the Bros. series when he loses a life. :lol

Cdammen

I really want to play this game but I can't buy a console for one game... and there's nothing on the horizon that interests me just a lot of licensed crap and casual/dumbed down games. I played the tutorial level at a friend's house :(

Top Bottom