• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker e3 2015 trailer

Any gaffer tried it at E3?
Is the physic engine faithful to the original games?
Because this game has the potential to be crack if that is the case.

Yes! Please let us know. I'm guessing that since you can apparently switch the look on the fly, there's a single engine. Hopefully the mechanics are as great as the looks.

Berordn

No, those are different. Those spin jumps (twirls?) give you more air time, but they don't make you any more durable. This spin jump lets you bounce off of enemies that you normally wouldn't even be able to land on.

If you it shake while on the ground you actually do a SMW style spin jump in NSMBW and NSMBU.

If you it shake while on the ground you actually do a SMW style spin jump in NSMBW and NSMBU.
Oh right... but that spin jump doesn't let you bounce off of Thwomps and Piranha Plants in the "New" series right?

Sorry to belabor the point. I thought it might look like certain moves aren't locked to specific series.

RagnarokX

Oh right... but that spin jump doesn't let you bounce off of Thwomps and Piranha Plants in the "New" series right?

Sorry to belabor the point. I thought it might look like certain moves aren't locked to specific series.
That is correct. They probably gave it SMW's properties because it's completely pointless in NSMB apart from the rare occasion where you might want to shoot fire or ice balls in both directions or you use it with a propeller helmet or super accorn or to activate a stage gimmick. Also probably to reduce confusion between 2 visually identical moves. I'm going to guess the NSMBU version still doesn't break blocks, though.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if we are underestimating how difficult it is going to be to continually switching between the physics of all four of these games especially when most of the maps are going to be well above average difficulty.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
We've yet to see what that frog icon does right?

With all the Mario Paint connections that's the odd one, since the original icon was for a sample tune in the music maker, a feature they claimed a while back wasn't coming to Super Mario Maker. It's just odd that demo builds from the show floor that I have seen seemed to have removed this icon as if it were hiding something important that they want to reveal later.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Really looking forward to this! :D This is like the coin challenge levels from NSMB2 on acid.

Hopefully we'll get a strong and creative community for it here on gaf as well! Give me your worst!

Kurt

tbh that they are ignoring super mario bros 2 (usa). They could have created a 3d version like super mario 3d land.

I believe it is
  • Grass
  • Underground
  • Underwater
  • Castle
  • Airship
  • Ghosthouse

It's a good lineup.

Hopefully we'll get dlc for desert, ice, sky, forest, tank and battleship at some point. The last two should be pretty easy as a lot of the assets have already been done for the doomship.

Any word on whether we can have a screen where you go off the end on the left side and appear on the right side and vise-versa? I'd really like to be able to recreate that amazing pipe room level from SMB3...

SuomiDude

In the Treehouse presentation it was nice to get more info on creating the levels for NWC, though I would've wanted to see the original last level they were showing when they got interrupted by Miyamoto and Tezuka coming on stage. But nice to see that those 4 levels will be included in the final game (although they would've been re-created there anyway).

TheBera

I was wondering how the the alternative amiibo costumes (like Link, Wii Fit Trainer) would even work on the levels that are not 8bit. Did they make several versions for all the costumes or are they only available in 8bit stages? Did they even talk about this?

danwu

Banned
I was wondering how the the alternative amiibo costumes (like Link, Wii Fit Trainer) would even work on the levels that are not 8bit. Did they make several versions for all the costumes or are they only available in 8bit stages? Did they even talk about this?

you won't ! 8 bit amiibo only.

Simbabbad

Simple question: can we actually do slopes?

super-mario-bros-3-virtual-console-image2.jpg

If not, the idea you can remake levels from any game is even more false.

The awesome thing is: At the Treehouse Event they even showed an Automatic Mario level, so doing stuff like this is actually possible!

This makes me so happy. Nintendo really made the perfect Mario Level Creation tool with this and I will enjoy every minute of it.

you won't ! 8 bit amiibo only.

Do you have sources for that? Because I didn't hear them say anything about amiibo characters being restricted to 8-bit Mario only.

The only thing I'm afraid of is 99% of user-created levels will be extremely difficult or complete chaos filled with enemies, impossible jumps, ...

I just hope there will be people who are going to make some quality levels or worlds too. Something with a nice design and thought.

Simbabbad

All evidence(images) points to not.
That's what I thought, but it's weird everybody seems to be missing the fact the game hasn't got slopes (at least from what we know).

I don't really mind, but still, it's a pretty important fact.

The only thing I'm afraid of is 99% of user-created levels will be extremely difficult or complete chaos filled with enemies, impossible jumps, ...
You know, everybody keeps saying that, but I think it'll be the exact opposite, there will be tons of very easy levels.

The game asks you to beat your own level, like Pushmo/Fallblox/Stretchmo and Mario vs. D.K.: Tipping Stars, and the HUGE majority of user levels in those games are very easy, a lot are even incredibly obvious and it's tough to find challenge online in those games (and "interesting challenge" is even more true).

What percentage of players are really good? Not that much I'd guess, and that percentage won't necessarily design that much more levels than the average player.

We think there will be tons of very hard levels because that's what ROM hacks generally are, but the people who make ROM hacks belong to a very, very small and specific demographic. Here, anybody can make levels.

So I guess there will be pixel perfect (annoying) "got you" levels, but not that much, and actually hard levels would be pretty rare. Most people can't deal with "complete chaos filled with enemies, impossible jumps" levels.

That's what I thought, but it's weird everybody seems to be missing the fact the game hasn't got slopes (at least from what we know).

I don't really mind, but still, it's a pretty important fact.

You know, everybody keeps saying that, but I think it'll be the exact opposite, there will be tons of very easy levels.

The game asks you to beat your own level, like Pushmo/Fallblox/Stretchmo and Mario vs. D.K.: Tipping Stars, and the HUGE majority of user levels in those games are very easy, a lot are even incredibly obvious and it's tough to find challenge online in those games (and "interesting challenge" is even more true).

What percentage of players are really good? Not that much I'd guess, and that percentage won't necessarily design that much more levels than the average player.

We think there will be tons of very hard levels because that's what ROM hacks generally are, but the people who make ROM hacks belong to a very, very small and specific demographic. Here, anybody can make levels.

So I guess there will be pixel perfect (annoying) "got you" levels, but not that much, and actually hard levels would be pretty rare. Most people can't deal with "complete chaos filled with enemies, impossible jumps" levels.

There are a few reasons why I believe so.

Levels in Tipping Stars are easy because the game encourages it. You need alot of stars to unlock everything in the workshop.

Secondly, when you look at the NWC and the Treehouse/trailers from Nintendo, they try to encourage people to do crazy stuff with it.

Maybe the US demographic is different and Nintendo is catering to that audience, I don't know.

BowieZ

Banned
I'm glad the online sharing system is so robust, so that way designers can release ongoing sets of worlds to create quasi-full games (like, 16 batches of 4 levels to create 8 worlds, etc).

Just a shame there's no desert or ice theme, for now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Finished watching the Treehouse feed from yesterday and they confirmed at the end that the NWC levels will be included with the game. Good job on those two for impressing Miyamoto and Tezuka that much.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I can't speak to Tipping Stars as I haven't played it but the reason Pushmo has so many easy/sloppy user-generated levels is because most people focus on just drawing pixel art in the editor and then working backwards to turn it into a "puzzle".

It's not like that sentiment hasn't carried over to Mario Maker, either--the bulk of the discussion around this title amounts to "yeah but will I be able to make a 1:1 remake of gimmick x from game y?"

Finished watching the Treehouse feed from yesterday and they confirmed at the end that the NWC levels will be included with the game. Good job on those two for impressing Miyamoto and Tezuka that much.

Maybe it was the jetlag or stress, but Miyamoto was really awful at it :).

Looks great. I'm sure people will come up with cool ideas. However unfortunately not my cup of tea. Looks like Xenoblade Chronicles will be my only Wii U purchase this year.

BowieZ

Banned
I can't speak to Tipping Stars as I haven't played it but the reason Pushmo has so many easy/sloppy user-generated levels is because most people focus on just drawing pixel art in the editor and then working backwards to turn it into a "puzzle".
In fairness, that's kinda what half of Pushmo is, but there are definitely better user created ones than others. I used to spend days at a time trying to turn sprites into a compelling challenging puzzle.

For SMM, I really want to create some Metroid-like dungeons, where power-ups are rare, with lots of separate rooms and doors, and backtracking here and there... full of atmosphere.

Simbabbad

Levels in Tipping Stars are easy because the game encourages it. You need alot of stars to unlock everything in the workshop.

Secondly, when you look at the NWC and the Treehouse/trailers from Nintendo, they try to encourage people to do crazy stuff with it.
They encourage you to do crazy stuff in Pushmo/Crashmo/Stretchmo, and the huge majority of levels are easy. I mean obvious easy, like a teleport from the start to the end, because most people don't have the skill to beat something complicated.

Also, crazy!=difficult. Automatic levels are crazy but you win them by not touching the controller. Gigantic pixel art stuff is crazy but isn't about challenge. I expect tons of that (and I hate it, yet they generally get good grades)... and "good fun", easy levels too.

It's not like that sentiment hasn't carried over to Mario Maker, either--the bulk of the discussion around this title amounts to "yeah but will I be able to make a 1:1 remake of gimmick x from game y?"
I do my levels in Pushmo/Stretchmo exactly like this, by copying pixel art I like and I find interesting, yet my levels aren't generally easy and certainly not obvious. That's because I spend a lot of time trying to solve them as they are before adding stuff like switches or teleports or extra items if they can't be solved as they are, and I try making it as complex as I can.
There is a good chance levels in Super Mario Maker will be the same, people will make stuff they find fun or pretty, but not bother investing time to try again and again and again to beat their own levels, they'd rather remove an obstacle they can't go through than add more.

Also, there is the score factor. Easy levels generally get better grades, because people upvote a level they just beat, but don't vote at all or downvote a level they couldn't complete.

I strongly doubt the majority of levels will be hard (and it's not a problem in itself).

BowieZ

Banned
Anyone know how different rooms (within the one level) work? Apparently you can have different rooms with different themes in the same level?

Has there been any mention of my boy yet?:(

angry_sun.jpg

Make a stage with him in it, but you are also carrying a key the whole time, so you are also being chased by a Phantos.
Phanto%202-620x.jpg

Then, make it a stage with conveyer belts so you can't simply drop the key without losing it. It would be the most terrifying stage ever.

SuomiDude

Ok automatic levels are a given, but what about autoscrolling levels where the stage moves forward even if you don't? Don't think they are in the game.

Top Bottom