• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker e3 2015 trailer

Theorymon

Ok so all compatible Amiibos will have 8 bit, 32 bit, and New style iterations? Will they just have tiny models or bigger models too once you get a mushroom?

As far as I know, Amiibos only work for the Super Mario Bros theme.

BTW, does anyone have a link to the Mario Maker segment from today's treehouse stream?

RagnarokX

I was inquiring about this move in previous posts. I'm hoping it means moves will be available across all versions, though it's also likely that the NSMB grounded spin jump was given armor like the SMW spin jump.

Correct, but you can't bounce off of Thwomps and Piranha Plants in NSMBWii with that spin jump.

Right. They clearly changed it to have that ability. I suggested it's probably to reduce confusion between two visually identical moves. The spin jump was rather useless in NSMBWii and NSMBU.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Right. They clearly changed it to have that ability. I suggested it's probably to reduce confusion between two visually identical moves. The spin jump was rather useless in NSMBWii and NSMBU.

What did they change, though? Does the air stall now double as a spin jump or are they still separate abilities? I don't think I've seen it demonstrated outside of that trailer.

RagnarokX

What did they change, though? Does the air stall now double as a spin jump or are they still separate abilities? I don't think I've seen it demonstrated outside of that trailer.

NSMBWii and NSMBU have 2 spin moves. They have an air stall that you can use to augment your jumps and they have a spin jump that's visually identical to SMW's spin jump but has no different properties from the regular jump. About the only thing it's good for is shooting fire/ice in both directions. They changed it in Mario Maker to allow Mario to bounce off enemies that would normally harm him like in SMW.

Neiteio

Peléo;168751478 said:
Would love to see Yoshi in SMB and SMB3.
Ah, so will Yoshi not receive SMB and SMB3 forms? Is he being treated like other style-exclusive moves/power-ups?

Also, I noticed in the Digital Event, during one of the interludes where Mario transforms, he was running across bone-like platforms. Anyone know what these are?

PSqueak

Banned
Ah, so will Yoshi not receive SMB and SMB3 forms? Is he being treated like other style-exclusive moves/power-ups?

Also, I noticed in the Digital Event, during one of the interludes where Mario transforms, he was running across bone-like platforms. Anyone know what these are?

We have seen the SMB yoshi, we haven't seen the SMB3 one.

So I'm watching the Treehouse video and here are my impressions:

- the U.I. for the 'maker' is very snappy. Fast, quick interactions, and what I love is when you die while playing your level, you're back in the editor before the death sound effect has finished. That's fast.
- I love the apparent 'updated' gameplay for SMB1. Looks a tad relaxed on changing direction mid-jump. Seems faster. Again and improvement
- the art direction is great. has a Neo-Mario Paint aesthetic in the editor and the game's a celebration of sprite graphics. I love how much 'love' comes through. I'm pleased to see Nintendo take this kind of approach to their legacy franchises. It's a gift.

I'm really looking forward to this!

@MUWANdo

Banned
NSMBWii and NSMBU have 2 spin moves. They have an air stall that you can use to augment your jumps and they have a spin jump that's visually identical to SMW's spin jump but has no different properties from the regular jump. About the only thing it's good for is shooting fire/ice in both directions. They changed it in Mario Maker to allow Mario to bounce off enemies that would normally harm him like in SMW.

I know that, I just don't think the footage is clear on which moves now works like the SMW spin jump--he's already in the air in the trailer footage, isn't he?

boxter432

I know that, I just don't think the footage is clear on which moves now works like the SMW spin jump--he's already in the air in the trailer footage, isn't he?

once you do a spin jump off the ground, if you bounce on something it stays...in the gif he probably did the spin jump off the blocks on the left onto the thwomps.

or its a button like in smw, who knows.

RagnarokX

Those are new. They are basically one form they came up with the underground version of the kind of platform that has background below it. You can shake platforms to change what they look like. In today's treehous they shook a SMW mushroom platform and it changed into non-solid ground. They shook it again and it turned into a tree. This is the kind of object the bones likely are. I've seen footage where they are cages, ropes, wooden walls, etc.

It's the spin jump. The air stall is a single twirl. The spin jump is a continuous twirl that you can't stop until you land on safe ground.

once you do a spin jump off the ground, if you bounce on something it stays...in the gif he probably did the spin jump off the blocks on the left onto the thwomps.

They made it a button in NSMBU. Same button as the air stall. If you jump and press it while in the air you do an air stall. If you press it while on the ground you do a spin jump.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Oh, the way I remember the NSMB spin jump was that it doesn't have any real mobility and is basically a stationary move.

LostComplex

Neo Member
I remember someone asking earlier about the stages that scroll to the side by themselves and if this option would be available in Super Mario Maker. In case it hasn't been answered:

It just so happens that I was at Best Buy today, and I got to play the game and watch other people play it. We actually didn't get to create our own stages, we only got to play a few stages that had already been made by some of the Nintendo staff. I saw one of the stages scrolling on its own. But it was very brief, as the guy died pretty quickly haha. So please take this with a grain of salt.

RagnarokX

I remember someone asking earlier about the stages that scroll to the side by themselves and if this option would be available in Super Mario Maker. In case it hasn't been answered:

It just so happens that I was at Best Buy today, and I got to play the game and watch other people play it. We actually didn't get to create our own stages, we only got to play a few stages that had already been made by some of the Nintendo staff. I saw one of the stages scrolling on its own. But it was very brief, as the guy died pretty quickly haha. So please take this with a grain of salt.

You can make autoscrollers. There are 3 different speed settings.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I wonder if we are underestimating how difficult it is going to be to continually switching between the physics of all four of these games especially when most of the maps are going to be well above average difficulty.

Fwiw, I was very recently playing through both SMB and SMW simultaneously and simply having that visual distinction was enough to make me immediately realize the differences.

Playing through SMB on free time with 3DS, and SMW on free time with GBA.

More important. Did you happen to notice any smooth hills like in SMB3.

galvatron

So, I'm not only going to buy this game, but every compatible amiibo for maximum lolz?
Well played, Nintendo...

Really hoping Mega Man and Ryu work here.

Hatchtag

Banned
There's gonna be more power-ups than were available for use in the demo, right?
In the demo you could only place mushrooms, fire flowers, and stars. I didn't see a Yoshi egg though levels did have him. But if power ups from SMW, SMB3, and the NSMB series are missing, that's gonna make me kinda disappointed.

RagnarokX

In the demo you could only place mushrooms, fire flowers, and stars. I didn't see a Yoshi egg though levels did have him. But if power ups from SMW, SMB3, and the NSMB series are missing, that's gonna make me kinda disappointed.

Here's my response to your post in the Best Buy thread:

We already know that the raccoon tail, cape, and propeller suit are in the game. They've all been featured in trailers. The demo at E3 is limited to 2 rows of stuff while the full game that the Treehouse has access to has 5 rows. The editor has 6 rows but the 6th row isn't numbered like the other 5 and is empty; no idea what it's for. They were messing around with the editor today on Treehouse in SMW style and the feather was there.

Game Awards 2014 trailer feat. raccoon Mario
April Nintendo Direct footage feat. cape
Nintendo World Championships 2015 final round intro feat. Propeller Mario

This is what the demo is limited to:
FDju566.jpg

Here is what the full game has:
T6L94AX.jpg

Note the feather in row 3.

woopWOOP

Those amiibo skins were only showcased in the first SMB setting, weren't they?

Full 3D Wii Fit Trainer, Isabelle, etc for the New Super Mario Bros version then?

Xemnas89

I believe there's been footage of the cape, the leaf, and the propeller hat so there's plenty. Probably other power-ups too.

Dimentios

Think they add a Allstars Filter? Like two new settings (SMB 16 bit and SMB3 16 bit)? Can't be that hard, since every graphic of the 8 bit version has a counterpart in the 16 bit version.

zroid

Banned
Those amiibo skins were only showcased in the first SMB setting, weren't they?

Full 3D Wii Fit Trainer, Isabelle, etc for the New Super Mario Bros version then?

Sadly no, I think they confirmed the amiibo costumes will only work in the SMB style. :(

KooopaKid

Banned
Here's my response to your post in the Best Buy thread:

We already know that the raccoon tail, cape, and propeller suit are in the game. They've all been featured in trailers. The demo at E3 is limited to 2 rows of stuff while the full game that the Treehouse has access to has 5 rows. The editor has 6 rows but the 6th row isn't numbered like the other 5 and is empty; no idea what it's for. They were messing around with the editor today on Treehouse in SMW style and the feather was there.

Game Awards 2014 trailer feat. raccoon Mario
April Nintendo Direct footage feat. cape
Nintendo World Championships 2015 final round intro feat. Propeller Mario

This is what the demo is limited to:
FDju566.jpg

Here is what the full game has:
T6L94AX.jpg

Note the feather in row 3.

Wow, OMG. It's going to be fun.
The time between the creation part and the playing part is so short that finally a level creation software is going to be fun for a change. Who other than Nintendo to manage that?

MrBadger

Something cool I noticed was that they added in a new music track for Super Mario World airships. All the new assets for things that didn't feature in old games is exciting

Kouichi

So, I'm not only going to buy this game, but every compatible amiibo for maximum lolz?
Well played, Nintendo...

Really hoping Mega Man and Ryu work here.

Get the Ryu and Mega Man sprites, recreate a Mega Man level, squint your eyes, and it's like Mega Man Universe was never cancelled!

zroid

Banned
hahaha I only just now realized when you grab the 8-Bit Mario Amiibo Funky Mushroom thing it makes the whole screen go CRT-ified. That's nuts.

Rosur

I watched the Nintendo World Championship finally last night and them playing through this game has definitely sold me on it.

Top Bottom