• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker e3 2015 trailer

Theorymon

In fairness, that's kinda what half of Pushmo is, but there are definitely better user created ones than others. I used to spend days at a time trying to turn sprites into a compelling challenging puzzle.

For SMM, I really want to create some Metroid-like dungeons, where power-ups are rare, with lots of separate rooms and doors, and backtracking here and there... full of atmosphere.

Oh man, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of this! Thanks to warp pipes being usable, I am totally gonna make some more... labyrinth kinds of levels!

Honestly I'm so hyped for this game that I'm tempted to start graphing out level ideas now :D

Javier

Is there anything stopping people creating the whole SMB, SMB3, SMW and maybe even NSMBU games on this? It's a very brave release from Nintendo! (And I love it)
You probably won't be able to fully recreate SMB because of 4-4 and 7-4. Those have the "loop" gimmick which I don't think has been confirmed to be included.

Pizza

Hey Nintendo I know you don't want to but I'll give you money for super Mario land 1/2 and SMB2 assets ill give you like $20 or $30 dollars on top of the base game price!

Just make em Mario bros 3 skins idc <3

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
-Play a near-limitless number of Mario levels created by Nintendo and players around the world.
I hope that means at least 4294967296 levels.

Nice trailer anyway. Has there been any new information on how many levels you can create and have stored at the same time? To be able to create a whole game (eight worlds) would be neat. And would make recreating Super Mario Bros. Special for PC-8801/Sharp XI much easier.

boxter432

You probably won't be able to fully recreate SMB because of 4-4 and 7-4. Those have the "loop" gimmick which I don't think has been confirmed to be included.

maybe when you choose the wrong path, the user can put a warp pipe at the end that send you back to the beginning. you would have to make the sections a little longer to hide the pipe, but maybe its kinda sort replicable?

Velcro Fly

No Koopalings confirmed. GameXplain guys just tweeted saying they found out in an interview with one of the devs they were not in the game.

I'm pretty much over this game already. How can this celebrate 30 years of Super Mario Bros when an awesome and interesting group that has been in 3 of the 4 styles of the game is nowhere to be found? But Bowser fucking Jr is everywhere. Nintendo has fucked up e3 big time and this just cements that.

I don't think I've been this consistently disappointed with anything in a long time.

RagnarokX

No Koopalings confirmed. GameXplain guys just tweeted saying they found out in an interview with one of the devs they were not in the game.

I'm pretty much over this game already. How can this celebrate 30 years of Super Mario Bros when an awesome and interesting group that has been in 3 of the 4 styles of the game is nowhere to be found? But Bowser fucking Jr is everywhere. Nintendo has fucked up e3 big time and this just cements that.

I don't think I've been this consistently disappointed with anything in a long time.

The Koopalings have more complex and unique AI that varies from game to game than Bowser and Bowser Jr. It makes sense that they wouldn't be able to properly implement them. Also, don't dis Bowser Jr. He sucked in Sunshine, but every game he's been in since then has legitimized him as a part of Mario. His boss fights in NSMBWii and NSMBU especially were some of the best.

Neiteio

This game is stuffed to the gills, but I'm already imagining DLC:

- Koopalings: Shake them to change their attack style, with several variants each.
- Slopes: Set two points, and the game connects them. Allows for variable steepness.
- Rotating terrain: clock gears, ground wheels, platforms you can spin, etc.
- Crushers: Falling ceilings, rising floors, walls that move in and out, spike pillars, etc.
- More level types: Desert, beach, forest, ice, mountains, clouds, etc.
- More enemies: The dinosaurs of Super Mario World, etc.
- Maybe a new style: SMB2, with unique mechanics?

Neiteio

When you scan a character amiibo and get the ? Mushroom to turn Mario into that character (Costume Mario), can you keep that mushroom and place it in the stage? So in other words, once you place it in the stage, the mushroom for that character always appears where you placed it, and you don't need to scan the amiibo again?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When you scan a character amiibo and get the ? Mushroom to turn Mario into that character (Costume Mario), can you keep that mushroom and place it in the stage? So in other words, once you place it in the stage, the mushroom for that character always appears where you placed it, and you don't need to scan the amiibo again?

Yeah, you scan the amiibo to make that item available in the editor. Keep scanning to summon more.

Taker666

I don't understand what possesses nearly 300 people to thumb-down that Youtube trailer.

For a while every video Nintendo posted was getting loads of thumbs down yesterday purely because of how poorly received the Digital Event was.

Even games not made by Nintendo but uploaded by Nintendo (Steamworld Heist ended up with around 450 thumbs down vs 650 thumbs up...purely due to the anger.

Chindogg

I have a crazy idea.

What if instead of releasing new 2D Mario games they just have Miyamoto's students learn by making levels in Mario Maker, then posting those levels for everyone to play?

Hell add a paid sub model if you want. I'd gladly pay a monthly fee if I can play what Nintendo's new blood cooked up with.

RagnarokX

This game is stuffed to the gills, but I'm already imagining DLC:

- Koopalings: Shake them to change their attack style, with several variants each.
- Slopes: Set two points, and the game connects them. Allows for variable steepness.
- Rotating terrain: clock gears, ground wheels, platforms you can spin, etc.
- Crushers: Falling ceilings, rising floors, walls that move in and out, spike pillars, etc.
- More level types: Desert, beach, forest, ice, mountains, clouds, etc.
- More enemies: The dinosaurs of Super Mario World, etc.
- Maybe a new style: SMB2, with unique mechanics?

DLC I'm expecting:
  • Desert: Includes new gimmicks like quicksand and twisters and new enemies like pokeys, spikes, and the angry sun
  • Water: Allows you to make levels with underwater and above water sections. Includes water geysers, big mouth bass, torpedo teds, etc.
  • Forest/Jungle: The only Mario in this pack that doesn't have tree stages is SMB3. Put in poison swamp water, spinning logs, enemies like bramballs.

Anyone else notice the wording of the release date at the end of the video? I think it's a nice nod to avoid the obvious of that day.

Even games not made by Nintendo but uploaded by Nintendo (Steamworld Heist ended up with around 450 thumbs down vs 650 thumbs up...purely due to the anger.

I'm sure there are at least a few of those downvotes are original Steamworld Dig fans that aren't loving the direction the series has.

I liked the first game OK and felt like it had a ton of potential as a more freeform Metroidvania style game, but now they're doing a totally different turnbased sidescroller.

I think the new one looks cool, but I'd understand if fans of the original game were disappointed that the new one isn't an expansion on SteamWorld Dig.

orioto

Good Art™
That would be so lovely if they let us create our own graphic set for the game :p

I've just seen some live demo of the editor and that's genius. I bet most 2D platformer level designer would give everything to have something that efficient to work with lol.

What's up with Mario being able to jump on Piranha Plants there?

MadeupPeriodicBarbet.gif

Haines

Banned
Absolutely going to be addicted to this game on release.

Wanted Mario maker for easily ten years now and this game is the creation game that will finally interest me.

Neiteio

Since when does NSMB Mario have the spin jump? Did they give the air stall the properties of the spin jump for the hell of it?
It appears to be an exception to the rule. For the most part, certain abilities are locked to their respective style, but it seems the spin jump carries over to NSMBU.

In NSMBWii if you shook the controller while on the ground you did the spin jump.
Or maybe it's this. *shrug!*

Since when does NSMB Mario have the spin jump? Did they give the air stall the properties of the spin jump for the hell of it?
I was inquiring about this move in previous posts. I'm hoping it means moves will be available across all versions, though it's also likely that the NSMB grounded spin jump was given armor like the SMW spin jump.

In NSMBWii if you shook the controller while on the ground you did the spin jump.
Correct, but you can't bounce off of Thwomps and Piranha Plants in NSMBWii with that spin jump.

@MUWANdo

Banned

You're right, I totally blanked on that for a little bit. It wasn't functionally identical to the SMW spin, was it? Jeez, I'm gonna have to go back and play it now, aren't I?

I was inquiring about this move in previous posts. I'm hoping it means moves will be available across all versions, though it's also likely that the NSMB grounded spin jump was given armor like the SMW spin jump.

They're not. You definitely can't spin jump in SMB or SMB3 or wall-jump in SMW sets.

Dimentios

Is there a way to add water to certain passages of the level?

The game is launching in three months and right now it looks finished as it could be launched tomorrow.

In other words, I guess Nintendo will announce even more content in the next weeks including more backgrounds, enemies and shit.

Neiteio

Is there a way to add water to certain passages of the level?
In the fourth and final level at the Nintendo World Championships, the players started in a castle, took a Warp Pipe, and appeared underwater. So you can do that much. But I don't know if you can put pools of water in an otherwise dry level (i.e. hop off a platform and into water, swim around and hope back out).

Who

Banned
Ok so all compatible Amiibos will have 8 bit, 32 bit, and New style iterations? Will they just have tiny models or bigger models too once you get a mushroom?

Top Bottom