• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker e3 2015 trailer

I hope you can add those squares from Super Mario World that can be hit for text to pop up. This way I can finally produce the horror visual novel I've been working on.

JazzmanZ

SMW
T6L94AX.jpg

Here's my prediction on the last row...

9nLH2du.png

Monty Moles are the only confirmed one so far that haven't appeared on any other row, Sledge Bro, the boo's that lurk around objects and Bowser jr. are also in but unconfirmed if those are the results of shaking a Hammer bro, Boo or Bowser.

Angry sun is because theres one on the about page for Super Mario bros. Anniversary and so far everything in Mario maker has been in the game from that page.

The rest are common enemies that are still missing (swooper, Flame chomp, Spike and Pokey), and ON/Off switch, a key for alt exits and those spiked balls on chains from SMW.

ika

This game is stuffed to the gills, but I'm already imagining DLC:

- Koopalings: Shake them to change their attack style, with several variants each.
- Slopes: Set two points, and the game connects them. Allows for variable steepness.
- Rotating terrain: clock gears, ground wheels, platforms you can spin, etc.
- Crushers: Falling ceilings, rising floors, walls that move in and out, spike pillars, etc.
- More level types: Desert, beach, forest, ice, mountains, clouds, etc.
- More enemies: The dinosaurs of Super Mario World, etc.
- Maybe a new style: SMB2, with unique mechanics?

And I'm buying all of that!

In fact we need all the enemies from SMB3 and SMW, not only the dinos. I forgot the spike pillars yeah... And the koopa statues with laser beans from SMB3... And those metallic grids with doors from SMW... I'm not a big fan of DLC but god knows I'll buy everything they do for Super Mario Maker if it's in line with your ideas.

9nLH2du.png

Monty Moles are the only confirmed one so far that haven't appeared on any other row, Sledge Bro, the boo's that lurk around objects and Bowser jr. are also in but unconfirmed if those are the results of shaking a Hammer bro, Boo or Bowser.

Angry sun is because theres one on the about page for Super Mario bros. Anniversary and so far everything in Mario maker has been in the game from that page.

The rest are common enemies that are still missing (swooper, Flame chomp, Spike and Pokey), and ON/Off switch, a key for alt exits and those spiked balls on chains from SMW.

BAH! I want Phantos in there too to add to the horror.

OH LORD WHY DID YOU MENTION HIM!?
He comes...he will find us all now...

I said it a few pages ago, but I want to make the most terrifying stage ever. Angry Sun chasing you, but you need to get a key to the end of the level, so a Phanto is chasing you at the same time. Now make most of the stage conveyer belts so you can't just dump the key to lose the Phanto for a few moments.

Want to make it even more terrifying? Make it an auto scrolling stage? There would be many tears.

9nLH2du.png

Speaking as someone who's still holding to the expectation that row 6 is a 'favourites' bar, wouldn't it make more sense for Monty Moles to be what you get when you select Rocky Wrench and give it a shake?

hazukash

Has co-op been confirmed? I know some of you guys talked about shared controls, but I can't find a source for that either.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Aha, the 30th Aniversary Amiibo is bundled with Super Mario Maker?

I'll probably need to preorder this IMMEDIATELY if I want any chance of getting that thing.

EDIT:

Oh they'll sell this individually too, cool! But I'll want the game too, so I might as well get the bundle if they have it for the US.

It's exclusive to the bundle in one region (PAL, I think).

RagnarokX

9nLH2du.png

I don't think the 6th row will be more stuff. Not sure what it will be.

We do know that circling boo buddies are the result of shaking boo; they revealed that on Treehouse today. Sledge bro is likely the result of shaking hammer bro, Bowser Jr. the result of shaking Bowser, and monty mole the result of shaking rocky wrench. All of the enemies seen have to be possible with the toolset we've seen because they used that toolset to make the levels.

There are a ton of enemies and gimmicks missing from this game, which I'm sure will make good DLC. Pokey, angry sun, and spike would all be right at home in a desert theme pack alongside quicksand and twisters.

Would be awesome. I like the artstyle of the game. However, there are too many differences between this and the other games.

But I want to make my own Yoshi's Island. It's my favorite 2D platformer.

Also, can we create bosses in this? I've heard nothing about it and bosses are a part of Mario games and I don't want Bowser as the only option.

Luigi87

But I want to make my own Yoshi's Island. It's my favorite 2D platformer.

Also, can we create bosses in this? I've heard nothing about it and bosses are a part of Mario games and I don't want Bowser as the only option.

Sadly for the time being it seems there are no Koopalings, Boom-Boom, or Reznors.

I haven't seen any night footage yet?
hqdefault.jpg

I assume we can't make stages like these yet. I'm also really interested in all the music that will be in this as well. I assume everything from the og, 3, World, and the New series.

RagnarokX

130828-anatomyofmario-2001.gif

I assume we can't make stages like these yet. I'm also really interested in all the music that will be in this as well. I assume everything from the og, 3, World, and the New series.

The closest thing you can make to a night stage would be:
SMB: underground, castle, ghost house
SMB3: underground

Just make a SMB underground level and put mushrooms in it and you got pretty much the same thing as your pic.

So far we have no confirmation of being able to change music, so it's pretty much everything from SMB and a fraction of music for everything else.

El Odio

Banned
Now that I think about it I'm surprised that they didn't put the All-Star graphics in for SMB1&3. Not even the physics just the graphic set.

Xemnas89

hqdefault.jpg

We've heard a couple new themes at least. We've heard airship and ghost house music for SMB themed stages and they're completely new compositions as far as I can tell. We've also heard the SMW airship theme which seems to be a remix of the castle theme. Probably some other new ones too along with seemingly all the themes from the games themselves.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I suppose if we want to see night levels we could try giving feedback for it.

Same with slopes.

Instead of an underworld, can we make an overworld like this?
Would make the bean stalk's pointless if we couldn't
http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/images/remakes/smb/smb_coin_heaven.png
Technically you can having any theme for the second map so you could make a pipe lead to the clouds. The beanstalk here is being used more to climb to higher areas of the map.

Teppic

Too bad about no slopes, workable pipes or overworlds so far, but the rest of the game looks so awesome that it's an instant buy anyway.

KeRaSh

Too bad about no slopes, workable pipes or overworlds so far, but the rest of the game looks so awesome that it's an instant buy anyway.

Yeah, it seems like a first step. I think this could have been an even bigger thing if it launched during the early days of the Wii U. We'd be talking about a sequel right now, which could have been Super Mario World Maker with overworlds where you can make whole games. Think like Little Big Plantet 1 -> 2.

It's a great start but I can already see where this is going. I really hope they follow through and make this their next big thing. There's just so much potential.

Taker666

Speaking as someone who's still holding to the expectation that row 6 is a 'favourites' bar, wouldn't it make more sense for Monty Moles to be what you get when you select Rocky Wrench and give it a shake?

I think you're right about it being the favourites bar (or maybe a common/most used items bar).

If you look it the latest trailer the bottom row of 12 items in the menu matches the 12 items at the top of the level creation page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwO09vJAPDs

X9vgjXO.jpg

cnKzYPZ.jpg

Any comments on bonus rooms? One-screen rooms entered via pipes that have coins/item blocks? Wonder how the game handles that. Also keys/keyhole from Mario world. I hope those are in.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Any comments on bonus rooms? One-screen rooms entered via pipes that have coins/item blocks? Wonder how the game handles that. Also keys/keyhole from Mario world. I hope those are in.
Do what they used to do and simply hide the rooms off in a corner that can't be seen. Easy with the underground since you can just wall it off. Something a bit like this:

Code:
|   BONUS   |   DEAD   |  REST OF   |
|   ROOM    |   SPACE  |    MAP     |
|___________|          |____________|

jariw

We do know that circling boo buddies are the result of shaking boo; they revealed that on Treehouse today. Sledge bro is likely the result of shaking hammer bro, Bowser Jr. the result of shaking Bowser, and monty mole the result of shaking rocky wrench. All of the enemies seen have to be possible with the toolset we've seen because they used that toolset to make the levels.

And some items have more than 2 "shake versions" available as well. They showed a couple that had at least 3.

zigg

Is that showing how your jump went when you did it, or the best case scenario? It is an awesome feature either way.
It's showing what you did when you playtested the level. In the Treehouse Live segment, they showed the intended pattern—jump into a void at whatever speed, drop back into the editor, put something at the jump point, playtest again (which—worry not—you can do from any point in the level, not necessarily the beginning!), rinse, repeat. Looks like it works pretty great.

Funny that it's an idea Jonathan Blow showed off in a talk he did once.
I said I wanted something like it 5½ years ago in a prediction article, too. It doesn't really matter where it came from—it's critical to making great Mario levels.

NOA better bring this.

Dimmle

IMPORTANT QUESTION:

Can you create slopes in Mario Maker? I mean, there's a whole slide mechanic in most of the source material so I'd hope so.

Top Bottom