• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker e3 2015 trailer

Rodin

CHyYTbrXAAAg_Ki.jpg

Yummy.

Amazing package. Day one.
Might also be my only chance at getting that amiibo rotfl

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Anyone know if there are key exits in the SMW theme?
Haven't been shown yet and it's probably unlikely. But I do want this and I also want red flag poles for the NSMB theme. It would be cool if you could have these alternate goals for your level and just have it as an extra challenge for players to find them. Which reminds me. I wish hidden yoshi/star coins were in this game.

Dimmle

Asking again for the new page: can you create sloping geometry in Mario Maker? Is the butt slide making an appearance?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Asking again for the new page: can you create sloping geometry in Mario Maker? Is the butt slide making an appearance?
I think if it were in they would have shown it by now. Hopefully it's something they add post launch. I really wanted to do some levels based on sliding.

Roo

So far we have not seen them.
That girl in the IGN booth said they still have a lot of features not shown yet. Probably slopes and even more themes?
Plus they will add the Treehouse created levels for the NWC to the game so it is obviously still in development.
We have until early August to wrap things up and start mass producing the game.

Has it been addressed as to whether or not other users's levels can actually be downloaded to your system memory or only "streamed"/accessed through Miiverse? I really hope you can save other users' levels to your system, because it would really bite if a person couldn't play their favorite user levels if their internet was down, not to mention assuming Miiverse service ends at some point.

jariw

Has it been addressed as to whether or not other users's levels can actually be downloaded to your system memory or only "streamed"/accessed through Miiverse? I really hope you can save other users' levels to your system, because it would really bite if a person couldn't play their favorite user levels if their internet was down, not to mention assuming Miiverse service ends at some point.

Yes, you can download and edit other people's levels. But you can not upload a course that you aren't the original author of.

KooopaKid

Banned
So far we have not seen them.
That girl in the IGN booth said they still have a lot of features not shown yet. Probably slopes and even more themes?
Plus they will add the Treehouse created levels for the NWC to the game so it is obviously still in development.
We have until early August to wrap things up and start mass producing the game.

If you can add slopes, oh man. But are they going to add slopes to the SMB skin? I don't see it happening.

Not just slopes, but assuming they have DLC/updates I really hope they also add more suits to SMB 3 like Tanooki, Hammer, ect. I want to make insane ghost stages where it's almost impossible to survive unless you have the Hammer suit and imagine all the fun things you could exploit level design wise using the Tanooki statue.

Yes, you can download and edit other people's levels. But you can not upload a course that you aren't the original author of.

Awesome, thanks.

BowieZ

Banned
It's just dawned on me how awesome it is that we will finally see some legit sequel-quality levels to SMB3 and World, after 25-odd years. Maybe not in full-game format, but close enough. (I know of the respectable online hack community, but I think this tool will allow for access by many more creative people with lots of sequel-type tropes (clown copters, yo), and the online ranking and creator following system gives me good hope that the cream of the crop will rise to the top.

If you can add slopes, oh man. But are they going to add slopes to the SMB skin? I don't see it happening.

Yeah it seems like adding slopes to SMB, including having to add in all the animations for characters (including all the amiibo) and enemies, is probably too much effort with minimal gain. I know it's a fun staple of SMB3, World and Wii/U, but it doesn't really add much to the gameplay other than looking cool knocking out some enemies.

What's the music/theme on this level? Looks like underground, but is it actually a Ghost House theme with new music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpU8Qbs5xrQ

For some reason, I thought it was the ghost theme. Maybe they said that in one of the Treehouse Live events?

It reminds me of Game Boy Zelda music, though, for some reason...

Koji Kondo made other new music for this game, too, or so I'm guessing. I'm interested in hearing the ghost house music for Mario 3 and the air ship music for Mario World.

Javier

So in the end, you can only make levels in a single style with its respective physics, or can you still switch styles within finished levels (like it was shown in the very first trailer back at E3 2014)?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I love that a game like this exists now. People are going to have so much damn fun with this. I really hope we get the LE with the Amiibo over here. I must have it. It'll be probably the only Amiibo I ever own.

Also I don't see slopes making it in since there's no SMB1 equivalent. But who knows. Either way, they won't put something in if it can't be back ported to each game "engine". So while they can simply create enemies from SMB3 or World that were never in SMB1 with SMB1 styles, something like slopes would just be weird. But who knows. Maybe they'll give in. But don't depend on it.

I love that they even made it so every enemy has a swimming version as well. (Or a non-swimming version if needed.) Have we seen what happens if a Cheep Cheep is out of water? Is it anything like SMW where they flop around on land? Or do they fly through the air?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Someone missed the eReader
Yeah, fuck the eReader. It pissed me off that all the extra stuff in the one Mario GBA port I was waiting for were all hidden behind cards and a shitty peripheral. Were the levels on the device or encoded in the cards? Is there any way to play the levels these days maybe through emulation and a code or something? It saddened me so much.

Winged Bob-ombs!
Winged EVERYTHING!

You can even combine enemies into mega enemies if you want. They thought of literally everything and are still adding stuff. I cannot wait to see what we get when it comes out.

Neiteio

How does a Winged Boo function differently from a regular Boo? I notice a lot of Winged Boos in the levels.

Also, has anyone seen the "bullet hell" Flying Spinies? They were in one of the earlier trailers (the second or third trailer released). Cannons shooting Flying Spinies, which in turn fired off hundreds of spikes in every direction.

How does a Winged Boo function differently from a regular Boo? I notice a lot of Winged Boos in the levels.

Also, has anyone seen the "bullet hell" Flying Spinies? They were in one of the earlier trailers (the second or third trailer released). Cannons shooting Flying Spinies, which in turn fired off hundreds of spikes in every direction.

Mother of god.

Before this E3 I just couldn't wait to play this game. I couldn't get enough news about it.

Now I'm pretty much obsessed with it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah this tool seriously looks like it's going way above and beyond my expectations. I was cautiously excited for it, now I'm full on raving. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Nessus

Really hope they haven't taken that out.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Oddly enough, I haven't seen any major outlets report on this, but the physics for each game style is retained from the original games, which is fucking awesome cause I'm gonna be making nothing but SMW style levels.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Also figure it's worth mentioning in this thread, Super Mario World has a FANTASTIC level creation/ROM editing kit called Lunar Magic and there are dozens upon dozens of magnificent Super Mario World rom hacks. I think Super Mario World has the best controls of the 2D mario platformers, so that means there is a whole slew of great stuff available out there.

Neiteio

Oddly enough, I haven't seen any major outlets report on this, but the physics for each game style is retained from the original games, which is fucking awesome cause I'm gonna be making nothing but SMW style levels.
Yeah, that's what I've been reading here. I really want 100% confirmation from the press, though. If true Mario World physics are present in this game... Oh man. The best-handling Mario game returns. With the second best (SMB3) just one tab away!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Yeah, that's what I've been reading here. I really want 100% confirmation from the press, though. If true Mario World physics are present in this game... Oh man. The best-handling Mario game returns. With the second best (SMB3) just one tab away!

I played it firsthand. It's definitely confirmed. Was smiling the whole time. :D

Top Bottom